- - - - -

RPG Thread XX has over 100 hours of gameplay

#331 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5143 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:20 PM

It's basically a port of the mobile version, much like Final Fantasy 3-6 on the PC. So it has the obnoxiously large buttons/menus for everything that I absolutely abhor. They've always tended to run just fine though. There also don't seem to be any noticeable screw ups like they had with 5 & 6's mobile version that was ported and not fixed. I label it as a lazy cash grab port.

The article linked by elessar does mention a mod to speed up battles which is probably nice. Although you could also likely do the same using CheatEngine and making a toggle button for increased speed. Plus you have other mods/patches like the Field Patch, but it's not perfect either. Then you have this as an alternative I believe.

#332 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4085 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:48 AM

Thanks guys; somehow wasn't aware that it's a mobile port. As FF PC ports go, it doesn't sound too shabby.

sig.gif
2017 Completed Games || My gaming blog

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#333 Strength&defiance   Dreamer, philosopher, poet - or an idiot as my partner calls me CAG Veteran   83 Posts   Joined 0.6 Years Ago  

Strength&defiance

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:04 AM

I can't speak to the pc port but if was great playing it on my vita

#334 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7037 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:09 AM

aw man, freaking Xenoblade... what can I say?!?!

like I said I was at 20 hours, was planning on playing just a bit before moving onto my next game...

now I'm at 44 hours >_< Not only is it dumb that I put in even more time than I had even played the game to begin with, but the fact that I did it in less than 2 weeks! Thanks 4th of July weekend...

The game is still confusing and overwhelming af, but I figure as long as I'm not dying it's OK, and as long as the map has a blinky thing all I gotta do is walk there. I am learning the system better, like linking data probes, investing Miranium into the various armor companies, and I even changed my class since I maxed out one of the trees (now my character is so weak tho...).

I got my Skell, had a mission on the furthest continent, ran all the way there becoz the monsters are too strong! And if you die in Skell you lose it and have to buy another :( Now I gotta save the game a lot more often, compared to pre-Skell where death has no penalty at all, and respawns you very conveniently. Despite that continent being filled with monsters that could kill you, the actual mission had me fighting a bunch of Level 12 babies -_-...

so now I've reached a good stopping point; can finally put the game back to rest for a bit and move onto Episode Prompto this weekend, then Nier!!

Just so you're aware, the Vita version is the lesser version when compared to Tokyo Xanadu eX+ (PS4/PC) that comes out later this year.

haha too late! I already bought it, got a very nice LE package which is half the price of the PS4 version! ($70 vs $150, for what is essentially the exact same package with a different toy).

but yah, it's just for the backlog, it isnt really gonna get played, and if it does I'm sure I can pickup the PS4 version for cheap during a random flash sale. 

I do like the Vita, but not so happy with multi-platform games not coming to it (yo soy Setsuna), or coming late (Cosmic Star Heroine), or being lesser versions (Tokyo Xanadu)!

like I had to buy Ys VIII for PS4 coz it had more content than Vita >_< but I'd rather play on Vita, but not a big deal at the end of the day tho.

#335 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7037 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:16 AM

aww yeay, finished Episode Prompto.

man... that was real dumb. lol. Between this and the earlier Gladio chapter, I do miss my $25 >_<

but now I got my Xbox Circle hooked back up and ready to play some Nier!!!

was doing some web searching for the best 360 games, seeing what else I should check out now that this thing is hooked back in, only to realize that I'm still using an OG X360 and can potentially fall victim to a classic RROD during my playthru O_o

I bought this thing in like 08; still lucky to have avoided the system's classic failure, so let's see if I can keep that luck going.

I still got Lost Odyssey chillin in the backlog after all, so I'll need this thing running in 2019 or 2020 when I finally make time to play LO.

#336 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2911 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

Continuing my PS2 RPG backlog by finally starting up SMT: Digital Devil Saga. What a crazy story premise. Everyone gets turned into demon cannibals, and you gotta go around eating other people who were turned into demon cannibals? WTF?

#337 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4085 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:18 AM

Continuing my PS2 RPG backlog by finally starting up SMT: Digital Devil Saga. What a crazy story premise. Everyone gets turned into demon cannibals, and you gotta go around eating other people who were turned into demon cannibals? WTF?

Digital Devil Saga is so good (and, yes, crazy). Are you planning on playing the sequel, too?
sig.gif

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#338 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2911 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:06 AM

Yeah eventually I do plan on tackling DDS 2. It is pretty solid gameplay-wise. Very similar to SMT: Nocturne (which I put in over 100 hours into) in many ways. Still not too far into it tho; just now starting on the part where you tell one gang you won't eat them if they help you team up to eat another gang, but I can already predict I'm gonna double-cross them and eat them too. I can't believe everyone is mostly so serious and casual about being cannibals. Crazy.

#339 grrouchie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   957 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:38 PM

I just finished devil survivor 2 Record Breaker a couple days back and put 90+ hours into it. Have to play the ps2 smt games at some point

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

#340 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   2451 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:45 AM

- Some of the jokier bits of Futaba's dialogue were cringe-worthy ("Make like a tree, and get outta here!").
-

Spoiler

I

But that particular joke was ripped right out of Back to the Future (maybe 1, definitely 2). In fact, the first time she started that line, she said it right - Make like a tree and leave - and I was a bit bummed that they didnt got for the BTTF reference. Lo' and behold, they did the next time and that made me smile.

And convoluted doesnt even start to explain it. All the "flight control" that had to happen make it beyond impractical and bordering on ridiculous!

#341 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4085 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:50 AM

Yeah eventually I do plan on tackling DDS 2. It is pretty solid gameplay-wise. Very similar to SMT: Nocturne (which I put in over 100 hours into) in many ways. Still not too far into it tho; just now starting on the part where you tell one gang you won't eat them if they help you team up to eat another gang, but I can already predict I'm gonna double-cross them and eat them too. I can't believe everyone is mostly so serious and casual about being cannibals. Crazy.

In retrospect, I think I might've made a mistake in playing DDS 1 and 2 before Nocturne. The DDS games were my first experience with SMT, so Nocturne was kind of a letdown.

But that particular joke was ripped right out of Back to the Future (maybe 1, definitely 2). In fact, the first time she started that line, she said it right - Make like a tree and leave - and I was a bit bummed that they didnt got for the BTTF reference. Lo' and behold, they did the next time and that made me smile.

Huh. Never seen BttF 2 and I don't remember that part from the first movie. On the surface of things, they just seemed like poorly-delivered jokey lines *shrug*

sig.gif

#342 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8626 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

Going back and playing FF XII now, I realize how ahead of it's time it was for a JRPG.

It's not 100% open world but for a PS2 game it's pretty massive. Plus the whole almost MMO like battle system, and license board. I think I love it more now then I did 11 years ago when it came out.

125063.png808669.png
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#343 elessar123  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

It's not 100% open world but for a PS2 game it's pretty massive. Plus the whole almost MMO like battle system, and license board. I think I love it more now then I did 11 years ago when it came out.

Cause it was off-line FFXI, literally. Having played FFXI for over a year before FFXII came out, it was trying to emulate the MMO. And they added hunts to that (which I think they took from FFTA, but I don't remember what had hunts first).

Spoiler

#344 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2911 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:06 AM

After a couple of lengthy car trips, I've put a big dent into Dragon Quest VII, and I'm almost done. Just gotta do some grinding before I tackle the final dungeon, because I kinda rushed thru the last few areas. I do appreciate the way the game is very "episodic" but all that backtracking gets kinda old.

I've also started FFXII and about 15-hours into it. Game looks very good on the PS4, and the zodiac changes are nice. Still love Fran and Balthier.

#345 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4085 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:27 PM

Just beat Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World and... it was all right? It's bad for a Tales game, certainly, and I have issues with some parts (the implementation of the monster recruitment system, the too-heavy use of guest party members, a bunch of typos, a few bugs), but it wasn't as awful as I'd heard. The story was half-decent, only truly becoming nonsensical at the end, and the skits and other little bits of character interaction were about as well-written as in the rest of the series. Seeing characters and places from the first Symphonia was nifty in a nostalgic way; Regal was especially awesome in this one considering that I didn't really care much for him before.

Then again, I'm not a super hardcore Tales fan, so maybe I'm being generous :razz:

Not sure what I'll play next; currently leaning towards either Nier or 3D Dot Game Heroes.
sig.gif

#346 Cage017   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4456 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:52 PM

It occurred to me that I've only played through one turned based RPG (Parasite Eve). I'm trying to find another RPG to like.

Front Mission 3, Suikoden series, Saiyuki Journey to The West.   None of them held my interest.

Then this past weekend, I think I found it.   PS1 Classic that holds my attention and makes me want to keep playing to the end.

Spoiler

Do most people/RPG fans like this game?  I'm on the third "level" where I play as a girl about to attend a festival. 

#347 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5143 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:39 AM

Just beat Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World and... it was all right? It's bad for a Tales game, certainly, and I have issues with some parts (the implementation of the monster recruitment system, the too-heavy use of guest party members, a bunch of typos, a few bugs), but it wasn't as awful as I'd heard. The story was half-decent, only truly becoming nonsensical at the end, and the skits and other little bits of character interaction were about as well-written as in the rest of the series. Seeing characters and places from the first Symphonia was nifty in a nostalgic way; Regal was especially awesome in this one considering that I didn't really care much for him before.

Then again, I'm not a super hardcore Tales fan, so maybe I'm being generous :razz:

Not sure what I'll play next; currently leaning towards either Nier or 3D Dot Game Heroes.

That game is an abomination. The main character was super unlikable and the battle system was subpar for a Tales game. The dialogue was also terrible and for the three to five hours I put up with the game, I kept running into battle system bugs in battle where my AI controlled monster allies would get caught and stuck in place all the god damned time. I couldn't stomach playing any further as it made me want to gouge my eyes out like in the movie Event Horizon.

Just remembering it makes me seethe.

It occurred to me that I've only played through one turned based RPG (Parasite Eve). I'm trying to find another RPG to like.

Front Mission 3, Suikoden series, Saiyuki Journey to The West.   None of them held my interest.

Then this past weekend, I think I found it.   PS1 Classic that holds my attention and makes me want to keep playing to the end.

Wild Arms 1 Cover Image

Do most people/RPG fans like this game?  I'm on the third "level" where I play as a girl about to attend a festival. 

You don't like the Suikoden series? Wat. My first question would be which games did you try? The second one is the one that's pretty much universally well liked. First one is mostly positively received. Third depends on who you ask. Fourth is considered boring as hell with the fifth coming back as somewhat of a redemption, but still not as good as its hayday.

I originally read Suikoden and skipped over your next sentence, so I was about to recommend the Trails series. Hah, yeah, probably not anymore now that I've caught myself.

As for Wild Arms, there was a remake of it on the PS2 called Wild Arms: Alter Code F. I liked the game a bit, but it felt a little grindy at times from what I remember. Personally I enjoyed the second game in the series the most and I think it's the most commonly liked one. Third I didn't care much for because of the beginning, followed by the world map scanning with all those stupid fossils. Though plenty of people seemed to like it. Fourth one was very meh, but playable. Fifth one was pretty decent and I enjoyed it. Although I suppose there was also a grid-based strategy game called Wild Arms XF that wasn't half bad.

I want to say Wild Arms is generally enjoyed because we don't get much in the way of Wild West themes, particularly from Japan. It did well with the theme and there were typically enjoyable puzzles in the games that relied on different characters abilities. The guns in the battle system were fun, it made use of the occasional interesting battle mechanic (such as casting fire, then ice to break an enemies shell). Characters weren't half bad and mostly likable. Plus back when it originally came out, people who enjoyed JRPGs then would tend to flock to them because relatively few actually got localized at the time.

I think you should figure out what you like about JRPGs from the ones you like and what you dislike about the ones you don't like. Someone may be able to recommend some for you.

#348 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4085 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:19 AM

That game is an abomination. The main character was super unlikable and the battle system was subpar for a Tales game. The dialogue was also terrible and for the three to five hours I put up with the game, I kept running into battle system bugs in battle where my AI controlled monster allies would get caught and stuck in place all the god damned time. I couldn't stomach playing any further as it made me want to gouge my eyes out like in the movie Event Horizon.

Just remembering it makes me seethe.

Emil is a pretty bad protagonist early on. He's such a limp noodle. However, I thought Marta, after she joins your party, was more insufferable in those early parts. Early Luke in Abyss might've annoyed me more than either of them, though.

I used guest characters in my party whenever possible, so I never encountered many issues with the monster allies. The worst bug I ran into was well into the game. During a story-related battle (can't remember which one), I opened the menu to tweak the party's Artes, then closed it to find that I couldn't manually control Emil. At all. Double-checked all my character control settings and they were all normal. Auto for Emil worked fine, but the controls were completely unresponsive when switching to Manual. Reloading and avoiding the Arte settings for that battle seemed to bypass it. Still, a surprisingly bad bug.

I didn't go into the game with high expectations, which definitely helped. It's mediocre at best.

sig.gif

#349 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2911 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:04 AM

I don't think Symphonia 2 was terrible. Probably my least favorite Tales game, but it was alright and not as horrible as I had heard. I played the PS3 HD upscale, and I don't remember there being many battle system bugs or anything like that. I did like the villain that called Marta "Mart-Mart" all the time; that was the high-point of the game, but otherwise it's rather forgettable.

I've played Wild Arms 1. Very old-school in many ways, but it did have a few things it did that I liked. I got Wild Arms 2 during a PSN sale a few years ago, but I still haven't gotten around to play it. I also own Wild Arms 3 for PS2, and the game's still shrink-wrapped. When I finally finish up the Suikoden series (only have Suikoden V left to go) I'm thinking of going thru the Wild Arms games.

I know Enchanted Arms is unrelated to the Wild Arms series, but I thought it was alright.

I've beaten Dragon Quest VII! Horray! I've now beaten all Dragon Quest games from 1-9. I thought 7 was pretty good. Not my favorite of the series, but nowhere near my least favorite; probably in the middle. If I had to rank the DQ series from favorite to least, it would go: 4, 5, 8, 6, 7, 3, 9, 2, 1  Anyone here playing DQ 11 yet?

#350 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5143 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:20 PM

No plans to import Dragon Quest XI and would rather wait. Crazy it sold over 2m copies between the PS4 & 3DS versions in Japan within just two days though. Asked my friend who lives in/around Tokyo there and he only really noticed the usual advertising but didn't really notice anybody taking off work Friday or anything out of the ordinary. I can't remember what his current job is since he went away from working for Coca-Cola Japan.

Emil is a pretty bad protagonist early on. He's such a limp noodle. However, I thought Marta, after she joins your party, was more insufferable in those early parts. Early Luke in Abyss might've annoyed me more than either of them, though.

I used guest characters in my party whenever possible, so I never encountered many issues with the monster allies. The worst bug I ran into was well into the game. During a story-related battle (can't remember which one), I opened the menu to tweak the party's Artes, then closed it to find that I couldn't manually control Emil. At all. Double-checked all my character control settings and they were all normal. Auto for Emil worked fine, but the controls were completely unresponsive when switching to Manual. Reloading and avoiding the Arte settings for that battle seemed to bypass it. Still, a surprisingly bad bug.

I didn't go into the game with high expectations, which definitely helped. It's mediocre at best.

I didn't really have high expectations either. I usually don't for a Tales game. Just hope that it's more of the same for the most part. Marta was probably just as bad for me, though I don't remember her as clearly. Regardless, what stopped me playing were the issues with AI ally monsters getting stuck on each other (Which happened to me damn near every battle), among a couple other issues with battle. If I can't enjoy the battle system without getting frustrated, then there was no way I was going to attempt to power through it. It really made me hate monster allies in a Tales game though.

I played through the game on the original Wii version at launch. I would like to think the issues I had got patched on the WIi version or at the very least fixed on the later PS3 version.

And yeah, I hated Luke too. I still think he's bad overall. Sure he gets better, but when you're a total unlikable dipshit for over 75% of the game then you're not a good character. If he was a side character, I don't think the impact of his character would weigh nearly as much as him being the main character. It's kind of sad when you're cheering the game on for kicking him down in hopes he finally gets his shit in gear.

#351 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4085 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

I played through the game on the original Wii version at launch. I would like to think the issues I had got patched on the WIi version or at the very least fixed on the later PS3 version.

I played the Wii version as well. Didn't think to check for a patch/revision (patches never being much of a thing on the Wii to begin with), so I played it with all the bugs present.
sig.gif

#352 Feeding the Abscess   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3240 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Feeding the Abscess

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:35 PM

3D Dot Game Heroes was well-executed, but I've played Mass Effect 3 and now FFX-2 without returning to 3D. I guess TellTale GoT counts as a game, too. Again, well made, but I mostly wanted to play Zelda when I'd shut off 3D.

I should mention, though, that editing your character's appearance so that it is the word 'poop' was one of the most satisfying experiences I've ever had in gaming. And possibly life.

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

ThroneofSeth.png

#353 luxuria   Memories of You CAGiversary!   5697 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:20 PM

I Am Setsuna is on sale for the Switch. Those of you who have played - is it worth the $27?

#354 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7037 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

OK, made it to around 12 hours into Nier, which is basically the first half of the game.

I can see why this game did not review so well, becoz it really is not fun to play lol.

Like, I spent the past year playing 4 of the most addicting JRPGs you could, Xenoblade X, SMT IV A, FFXV, and Persona 5, and those were the type of games I found myself putting in 20+ hours on a 3 day weekend.

Nier is a game that took me over 3 weeks to do 12. It just doesnt hook you and when I get home and find some free time I do not feel compelled to go play games.

I know this game is all about the story, and I'm definitely committed to seeing it through, but it'll probably take a while, but I do hope once I finish the second half it will hook me in a bit and I can proceed to keep beating the game for 100%.

No wonder when they made Automata that the whole point was to make the game fun lol; it allowed so many more ppl to appreciate it.

#355 Cage017   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4456 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

You don't like the Suikoden series? Wat. My first question would be which games did you try? The second one is the one that's pretty much universally well liked. First one is mostly positively received. Third depends on who you ask. Fourth is considered boring as hell with the fifth coming back as somewhat of a redemption, but still not as good as its hayday.

I originally read Suikoden and skipped over your next sentence, so I was about to recommend the Trails series. Hah, yeah, probably not anymore now that I've caught myself.

As for Wild Arms, there was a remake of it on the PS2 called Wild Arms: Alter Code F. I liked the game a bit, but it felt a little grindy at times from what I remember. Personally I enjoyed the second game in the series the most and I think it's the most commonly liked one. Third I didn't care much for because of the beginning, followed by the world map scanning with all those stupid fossils. Though plenty of people seemed to like it. Fourth one was very meh, but playable. Fifth one was pretty decent and I enjoyed it. Although I suppose there was also a grid-based strategy game called Wild Arms XF that wasn't half bad.

I want to say Wild Arms is generally enjoyed because we don't get much in the way of Wild West themes, particularly from Japan. It did well with the theme and there were typically enjoyable puzzles in the games that relied on different characters abilities. The guns in the battle system were fun, it made use of the occasional interesting battle mechanic (such as casting fire, then ice to break an enemies shell). Characters weren't half bad and mostly likable. Plus back when it originally came out, people who enjoyed JRPGs then would tend to flock to them because relatively few actually got localized at the time.

I think you should figure out what you like about JRPGs from the ones you like and what you dislike about the ones you don't like. Someone may be able to recommend some for you.

It looked like the stories for Suikoden would be good, but the controls for the games didn't click for me at all.  The turn based style of RPG's where you don't have a chance to avoid attacks is why I've avoided the genre.

I'm more into the real time gameplay like Legend of Zelda, Soul Blazer, and Illusion of Gaia. The only reason I explored RPG's was from the time I played Super Mario RPG which is why Legend of Dragoon looked fun. I was also able to have fun trying Final Fantasy VII and of course Wild Arms. If movement is limited, chances are I won't like it.

Going through the PS3, here are the other RPG's I will check out via PS1 Classics:

Legend of Dragoon (played demo, was fun)

Chrono Cross

Chrono Trigger

Parasite Eve II (loved the first one) 

Legend of Mana

Vagrant Story

Xenogears

Wild Arms 2

All the Final Fantasy games

#356 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5143 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:52 AM

I Am Setsuna is on sale for the Switch. Those of you who have played - is it worth the $27?

Although late, I don't really feel it's worth that. $20 at most really. The gameplay is fairly decent/fun and it looks nice if you like the aesthetic. However the areas are mostly boring and straight forward with the story being extremely short and predictable. As for the loot system, it's an abomination. There are ways to exploit it, but it's not particularly enjoyable for me. In their next game they seem to have gotten rid of it, though it's not out yet in Japan so I can't say for certain. Didn't care much for how their equipment bonus system worked either. Felt a bit too RNG for me.

It looked like the stories for Suikoden would be good, but the controls for the games didn't click for me at all.  The turn based style of RPG's where you don't have a chance to avoid attacks is why I've avoided the genre.

I'm more into the real time gameplay like Legend of Zelda, Soul Blazer, and Illusion of Gaia. The only reason I explored RPG's was from the time I played Super Mario RPG which is why Legend of Dragoon looked fun. I was also able to have fun trying Final Fantasy VII and of course Wild Arms. If movement is limited, chances are I won't like it.

So you seem to like more along the lines of Action-Adventure (Zelda) and Action RPGs (The other two). Of the ones you've listed I don't believe Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana and Vagrant Story have random battles. The rest do, of which I recall Legend of Dragoon and Xenogears having a fairly high encounter rate. Wild Arms 2 I think is a little less than those two. Though not a PS1 Classic, you may enjoy Final Fantasy XII (PS2/PS4 HD Remaster). It's not my cup of tea due to the gameplay but a lot of people love it. I feel like I'm more of an outlier with that game.

At some point you might want to give Grandia II (PS2/Dreamcast/PC) a try and potentially even Trails of Cold Steel (PS3/Vita/PC). The PC version of the latter has some Quality of Life improvements in its port such as Turbo Mode. I know the PC version of Grandia II is the best version but don't recall if it had any QoL improvements.

There's also Lunar and Lunar 2 from the PS1 era. It has random encounters and is pretty anime, but it's pretty well regarded. Don't think either are on PS1 Classics, although there is a PSP port of Lunar 2. I'll also mention two others, those being Star Ocean 2 and any of the Tales games. Both of those have very action oriented battle systems, but the earlier games still use random encounters. I don't believe those are apart of PS1 Classics in NA either, but Tales of Destiny II (Known as that in NA, but really named Tales of Eternia everywhere else) was also ported to the PSP and released in Europe. Import is possible, but there was a bug in early prints of the game that caused the game to lock after beating a certain boss.

All of the above are closer to classic RPGs. As for other ones you may want to try would be anything from the Ys series (1 & 2 Chronicles are very different than the rest) and Alundra. The first being very heavy on the Action RPG with the latter being a bit of an Action-Adventure. I'm sure there are others that belong here, but I'm drawing a blank.

#357 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4085 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:10 PM

Started Nier a few days ago, still pretty early in. About to go looking for some kids' mom at the scrapyard/factory place.

Adding on to Draekon's reply:

Chrono Trigger doesn't have truly random battles, either, though it does like to do that "enemies pop up out of nowhere" thing every once in awhile. It's considered to be one of the best time travel-themed games ever, plus it's got a fun cast, great soundtrack, excellent battle system... I could go on. Chrono Cross is more divisive (I'm one of those people who mostly hates it), and its battle system is pretty different (I thought it was unnecessarily complicated), but it has one or two good points.

Seconding Grandia II. It has  wonderful, engaging battles and is a great game in general.

Also seconding the Ys series, though it's going off the turn-based RPG path. It's my favorite action RPG series of all time and has been compared to Zelda by some people. Imagine Zelda with less of an emphasis on tools and more on magic. Expanding on Ys I&II: they are VERY old school-- you attack enemies by bumping into them, and there's not even any magic in I. Ys I is also old school difficult, especially its final boss. I like those two games a lot, but they're an acquired taste and mainly for Ys completionists.

(Also, re: Suikoden: It's all good! I tried one of them some time ago [Suikoden V] and it didn't click with me, either, though for different reasons.)
sig.gif

#358 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   2451 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:50 PM

In retrospect, I think I might've made a mistake in playing DDS 1 and 2 before Nocturne. The DDS games were my first experience with SMT, so Nocturne was kind of a letdown.

Huh. Never seen BttF 2 and I don't remember that part from the first movie. On the surface of things, they just seemed like poorly-delivered jokey lines *shrug*

BTTF 1

BTTF 2

Going through the PS3, here are the other RPG's I will check out via PS1 Classics:

Legend of Dragoon (played demo, was fun)

Chrono Cross

Chrono Trigger

Parasite Eve II (loved the first one) 

Legend of Mana

Vagrant Story

Xenogears

Wild Arms 2

All the Final Fantasy games

Could I interest you in a little series named "Kingdom Hearts?"  All the moment to moment gameplay/battles are active, DMC-lite even, KH2 is even better in this respect, though KH has more (better?) exploration aspects. The 'meta-story' gets up its own ass, but the general intra-plot of each of the games is easy enough to follow.  Maybe a bit too easy as almost rom-com-y (boy meets girl, boy loses girl, etc.).

#359 Cage017   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4456 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:30 AM

I noticed I did not purchase Grandia from the Playstation Store. Any thoughts on Arc the Lad?

I started Kingdom Hearts but never finished it (made it to an Aladdin stage). It's fun, but I don't know if it's the kind of game I would replay. Guess I would have to finish it to find out.

Y's sounds familar. What platform is that on?

I have some Tales games on the  Xbox 360 but I'm in the mood to stay on retro consoles before trying anything on PS3 and up.

#360 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5143 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

I noticed I did not purchase Grandia from the Playstation Store. Any thoughts on Arc the Lad?

I started Kingdom Hearts but never finished it (made it to an Aladdin stage). It's fun, but I don't know if it's the kind of game I would replay. Guess I would have to finish it to find out.

Y's sounds familar. What platform is that on?

I have some Tales games on the  Xbox 360 but I'm in the mood to stay on retro consoles before trying anything on PS3 and up.

The first Grandia I liked, but it's rather anime'ish in its presentation of characters and what not. Somewhat similar to how Lunar is. The battle system is still there that the series is known for, but not quite as good as the second games or later. Granted Grandia II is pretty corny/campy too, but I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. Stories in characters in everything after the second Grandia just kind of shit themselves unfortunately.

Arc the Lad is a Strategy RPG or Tactics game. It's turn-based grid battle system which is very different than anything else listed thus far. The first one is so-so (and quite short), but it gives you background on those original characters that appear in the second game. Arc the Lad II is also turned based and I really liked that one. The story is pretty decent and had a fair amount of side stuff to do (It's a long game). The third one is a continuation of the first two and not bad, but the second one was the best one in my opinion. All three are on PS1 Classics, but it's not really necessary to play the first one if you're interested in the series. The latter two games are nothing like the original trilogy and don't really have anything to do with them.  They were PS2 games and I don't really recommend touching them (Twilight of the Spirits & End of Darkness).

Ys (Pronounced Eese, like Geese but without the G) doesn't have an apostrophe actually. Though you generally have to say Y.S. just to have people know what you're talking about in a verbal discussion. We didn't get much in the way of Ys titles for quite some time, with a couple of them being remakes of the earlier titles. Its platforms are:

Ys Origin (PC, PS4, Vita)

Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles+ (PC, Wii VC, DS, PSP)

Ys: The Oath in Felghana [Remake of Ys III] (PC, PSP)

Ys: Memories of Celceta [Remake of Ys IV] (Vita)

Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand (Not in English)

Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (PC, PSP, PS2)

Ys Seven (PC, PSP)

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (PC, PS4, Vita)

Ys Seven is releasing on PC this month and Ys VIII comes out in English on all three platforms next month. Adol is the main character in basically all of them except for Origins. Oh and before you touch a Ys game, let me warn you this is the starting premise of just about every single one involving Adol:

Spoiler