- - - - -

RPG Thread XX has over 100 hours of gameplay

#391 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4167 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:39 AM

Valkyria Chronicles 4 has been announced. It'll be released in March (PS4) and the summer (Switch) in Japan, and "2018" for the PS4, Switch, and Xbox One in the West.

#392 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2965 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:30 AM

I was hoping the VC announcement was either VC4 or a remaster of the PSP games and not another crap-bomb like Valkyrie Revolution. Looks like a promising sequel.

#393 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5564 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

I'm really hoping it takes after the first Valkyria Chronicles game and none of the other Valkyria games. The series took a dip in quality after the first one going with the common Japan factor where they try and put school shit in and make the story overly childish by focusing too much on typical shounen flub. Then you have revolution where tanks don't exist as you know them from Chronicles and are instead bipedal walkers/metal gear. So dumb.

#394 elessar123  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

Yeah, Etrian Odyssey always had a little grind to it but it seems to be a bit more with the latest entry.

It was a breeze til around floor 23-24 (including most FOEs). Then there's an abundance of AOE squirrels that get pre-emptive attacks, which means by the time you can act, you're down to 20% hp.

Once I hit level 60, they became much easier for whatever reason. So I'm guessing there's a soft cap.

#395 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7043 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:06 PM

happy thanksgiving!! ppl be talking like nobody cares about Steam sales, and here I am having spent $30 on steam this weekend >_<

did pick up 2 RPGz - Xanadu Next and Deus Ex the new one, which I'll need a new PC to play lol, but it was cheap!!

side note, the PS4 I bought during black friday last year actually came with DeusEx! but I sold it coz I'd prefer mouse & keyboard to play.

but yah, more for the forever backlog, and speaking of this looks hype!

I actually did buy a Switch about a month ago, having fun with Mario much to the detriment of my backlog, and I'm still committed to beating Xenoblade X, but at least I do own the console to play X2 when I'm ready to!

and thanks to the switch, also get to be hype for SMTV and Project Octopus Trainer!

#396 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5564 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:07 PM

^ People mostly complain about Steam sales because they have too large a library already. Not to mention all these bundles puts devaluation on their perspective and towards smaller indie titles. Though it isn't entirely untrue that Steam sales used to be a bit better a ways back where you'd regularly see more prominent games receiving larger discounts more frequently during these sales.

Xanadu NEXT is great though and should be playable without a new PC. I definitely recommend running through it as it's a fun little game. I'll be playing through Xenoblade Chronicles 2 when it releases and then after that Tokyo Xanadu eX+. Though I'm going into the latter with low to medium expectations.

#397 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2965 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:25 AM

After taking a month away from the game, I finally went back and finished off Trails of Cold Steel 2. It's the exact opposite of ToCS 1 as far as pacing. In the first one, the beginning drags on for too long before everything gets going. In the sequel, it starts off really good, but then the ending drags on longer than it should. Pacing issues aside, I enjoyed the sequel's story more than the first one, and the new additions to the combat system are neat. I'm looking forward to the third one, and they're working on a fourth, so its great that the story continues.

Going to work on Valkyria Chronicles 2 now, I think. I'm really hyped for the fourth one, since the gameplay of it I've seen looks really good.

Hands down, my RPG of 2017 is Persona 5. NieR Automata is the runner-up.

My favorite backlogged RPG I played this year is Suikoden V.

Overall, I'm proud of the RPGs I finished this year.

Suikoden IV and V

Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2

Persona 5

NieR Automata

Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age

Final Fantasy Type-0

Digital Devil Saga 1

Dragon Quest VII

Ten RPGS? Not bad for a year. I seriously doubt I'll get thru that many in 2018, but if I can beat 6-8, I'll be happy.

I've still got a ton of games in my backlog. In 2018, I especially want to beat:

Final Fantasy XV  (I got thru just over half of it...need to go back and finish it off and do the DLC)

Digital Devil Saga 2

Xenoblade Chronicles (The first Wii game)

A Tales game (I didn't play a single Tales game in 2017. I have Abyss, Legendia, Zesteria, and Berseria all in the backlog)

With those four, and some new ones coming out in 2018, like Ni No Kuni 2, that should keep me busy for awhile.

#398 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7043 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:45 AM

happy Xenoblade 2sday!!

even tho it aint tuesday!

and even tho Xeno 2 has been out for a while!!

and even tho it's actually new years day!

I dont care, becoz I gotta tell yallz about how I'm so hype for a game that I wont even play until probably 2019, but at least I can spend my year looking at the shiny collector's edition box I got up on my shelf!

I did however 100% mario odyssey last week tho, so my Switch is now unhooked from my TV and my WiiU is back, so hoping I can get back to XCX soon... maybe this month too, but I'm always juggling multiple games now it seems :P

I've totally overlooked the release of Episode Ignis btw, so probably gonna do some FFXV soon.

also want to move Nier Automatic up to the top of the backlog becoz GOTY discussions are reaully pushing it up to the priority spots!

after that, not sure if I have any other RPG goals for the new year, but Ys VIII for sure and hopefully I can also dive into Trails SC. 

#399 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4167 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:53 PM

Well, just posted my annual "best games I played in the past year" list. Spoiler alert: my top pick is Nier, and like JEKKI, I'll be playing Automata sometime this year, hopefully sooner rather than later. Maybe we'll end up playing it around the same time, just like with Nier :razz:

I also still haven't started EOV, but at least now the holidays are over, and I don't have any pressing extra obligations, so I should be able to find the time... once I've recovered from my jetlag, anyway.

#400 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2965 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:11 PM

Nier is something special. I really hope because of the success Automata had, that we'll eventually see a remaster version, maybe with the Replicant content that was Japan-only, just so more people could have the experience.

Ya'll gotta play Automata. The combat is more refined, and the soundtrack is great.

I've been pushing my way thru Valkyria Chronicles 2. Ugh. The characters are uninteresting (especially the idiot MC), some are downright terrible (again, MC), the voice acting is cringe-worthy, and the story is just bad, bad. The combat missions don't really require much strategic thought; I've found them to be kinda easy so far. I just don't like how they break up the maps into sections, but I guess that's because of the PSP's limitations? I do like how you can eventually unlock sub-classes that add a little more uniqueness to the squad members but overall, I am very disappointed in this game so far. Hopefully it'll get better as I continue, but I do not have very high hopes.

#401 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7043 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

awww maan did anyone go to Magfest last weekend! it's so good! That convention is like video games's happy place, as long as you're not spending hours sitting there waiting for your turn in a tournament lol.

been watching AGDQ all week so havent been able to play games, but finally was able to get back into FFXV to play Episode Ignis.

except I couldnt coz the game needed to be updated and my PS4 doesnt have enough space to update it -_-...

there was an Assassin's Creed DLC tho so I played through that instead and lol... it was not very fun, but it was also very silly for all the stupid reasons that I do love FFXV.

#402 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7043 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:08 AM

whooo~!! episode Ignis done! all 3 endings, and it was as meh as all the other eps lol.

I can't beat the bonus Noctis fight tho... it's impossible. Even watching vids on youtube about how other ppl do it, it's still a dumb fight that shows how truly dumb the battle system for this game is. 

there's a multiplayer online mode to this game too... free with season pass but it apparently costs $20 standalone O_o

currently downloading it and will give it a shot this weekend just for kicks. After that, I think I'm done with FFXV.

it'll feel pretty good to delete all 80+ gigas of that game off my PS4 lol.

I aint about that Royal Edition tho... not sure what the point of it is... same game except now you got a truck and a boat.

and some new bosses and dungeons, as if I've actually beaten all the extra bosses and dungeons in the regular game O_o

#403 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5564 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:02 AM

I still need to catch up on the highlights for AGDQ. I caught the beginning of it and then promptly forgot it existed.

The multiplayer for Final Fantasy XV is kinda grindy and poorly implemented like many other Japanese games. By that I mean you're going to be repeating a bunch of the same missions and in order to 'form' a party with friends to go out, you have to create a lobby and have them search for the lobby which will auto-close in 60 seconds of creation and comes with its own issues. After you 'beat' the mission, you're forced back into the single player bit where the shops are and have to go about re-creating the lobby again. It's really awful and I have no idea why the hell so many Japanese games haven't learned how to properly create persistent lobbies/parties in multiplayer games.

My five most favorite games of 2017 can be found here (Not necessarily what I'd consider GOTY). There were some others that were close contenders, but I feel like I enjoyed those the most. I was really surprised by Utawarerumono since I'm not usually into Visual Novels. Highly recommend it, but it does have a few caveats.

Mostly been floating from game to game lately. Play a bit of one, can't really get into it and move onto another. I think one of the bigger ones that was in that bunch would be World of Final Fantasy. I just have a difficult time getting into monster/enemy collection games like Pokemon and such. Though Zwei comes out next week which I'll most definitely beat and then Monster Hunter World is releasing next Friday as well. Oh yeah there's also Iconoclasts next week, shit. Now I need to decide between Iconoclasts and Zwei.

I wonder when Pillars of Eternity 2 is releasing. I also need to play Divinity: Original Sin 2, but I need to find someone to play through the game with. The two I usually play with, one is consistently ignoring gaming with me over the last year in favor of his girlfriend which has grown rather tiresome while the other had his computer die but isn't replacing it yet.

#404 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2965 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:53 AM

My final thoughts on finishing Valkyria Chronicles 2: It was okay in some aspects, but in others it was really bland. What I loved about the original game was the characters, the story, the graphics, and the fun gameplay. In VC2, the characters are rather boring, annoying, or just uninteresting. Terrible main character, which causes the story to be kinda bland. The graphics are also bland and lack a degree of polish (I understand its a PSP game, but it was the graphic aspect that made the original VC so great, and loosing it just made it feel less of a game). All that VC 2 has left is the gameplay, and while certain aspects were fine (I really liked the enhanced and varied classes), the other aspects, like reusing the same maps over and over again, wore thin. Yeah, there were a ton more missions than the original VC, but when you're reusing the same 4-5 maps all the time, it gets old fast. Nothing really challenged me strategically all that much. Hard battles were more tedious than difficult.

Anyway, the bottom line is I liked the game, I had fun playing it, but I did not enjoy it anywhere near as much as VC 1. It has some serious issues that I really hope the new 4th game will improve upon, but there's also aspects I hope they keep (like the various class structure).

I've been creeping back in to Final Fantasy XV. I played about half-way thru it not long after it came out, and then got distracted with other games and never beat it. Gonna try and finish it and probably move on to another PS2 backlogged RPG. Maybe a Tales of game. I never finished Abyss, because my backwards-compatible PS3 was not backwards compatible with the game (it froze in a certain spot about 10-hours in.). Or maybe Tales of Legendia. I've heard good things about Legendia's soundtrack.

#405 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14938 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:58 PM

I wonder when Pillars of Eternity 2 is releasing. I also need to play Divinity: Original Sin 2, but I need to find someone to play through the game with. The two I usually play with, one is consistently ignoring gaming with me over the last year in favor of his girlfriend which has grown rather tiresome while the other had his computer die but isn't replacing it yet.

While slated for Q1 2018, I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't get pushed back to the summer.

#406 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5564 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

While slated for Q1 2018, I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't get pushed back to the summer.

Looks like it's releasing on April 3rd. Definitely looking forward to it.

#407 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14938 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

Very nice. Gives me a bit of time to play it before my annual "what if I just fucked off into the woods for a couple months" period.

#408 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14938 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:51 PM

PG3fHvK.jpg

#409 Feeding the Abscess   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3251 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Feeding the Abscess

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:37 AM

I don't get it. What is that?

#410 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5564 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

They look like they're animals/pets from Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire. Though I couldn't find specifically where he got them from. I've mostly ignored the Backer Updates for the game. They're fairly detailed regardless though. Most animals/pets have a minimal amount of effort put in to look semi-realistic for a graphic style like this.

#411 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14938 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:28 PM

It is indeed a (semi-complete) list of the pets in Pillars 2. I'm disproportionately excited about that bit because apparently there's going to be a room on your ship where all of your inactive pets hang out and play.

#412 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4167 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:15 AM

Finally started Etrian Odyssey V! Just got to the fourth floor of the 1st Stratum and am liking it so far. It's not as boring as I found EOIV to be-- maybe because of the stripped-down approach, with none of the overworld stuff? I'm also finding it to be somewhat on the easier side, but I don't know how much of that is because I'm so accustomed to this series.

The in-dungeon food-gathering and cooking is probably my favorite new addition so far, even though there aren't many TP healing options at this point. Rover also might be the best archer/hunter-type class the series has ever had.

ETA: Played a bit more this evening, and... one thing that's weirding me out about this entry is the rare bit of swearing that goes beyond your bog-standard damns and hells. I don't remember the word "shit" ever appearing in the previous games.

#413 elessar123  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

Rover is pretty good, but EO1 sniper still holds a place in my heart.

#414 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   2965 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

Finally finished FF15. The first half was great. The last half, ehhh. The ending, blech. Not sure I liked the game enough to buy any of the DLC. I will most likely just wait until the complete (royalty?) edition is cheap.

I've been trying out some other games, hoping to find something that catches my attention. I've put a couple hours into Tales of Legendia, a little bit of Xenoblade Chronicles Wii, a bit of Secret of Mana (SNES Mini version) and just started on Digital Devil Saga 2, but nothing has really interested me enough to continue very long, so I'm not sure what I'll stick with. I've got some newer RPGs I could play (South Park, Dot.Hack/G.U.), but I really want to work on the backlog more. Eh, I'll settle on something eventually.

#415 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7043 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:52 AM

oh man, did anyone see this humble bundle? There's only like 36 hrs left tho so act quick, but man $15 for all the Shadowruns, Torment Numanuma, and Wastelasnd 2! heck of a deal, and for that price it's worth having them in my backlog to never play lol :(

https://www.humblebu...s-return-bundle

The multiplayer for Final Fantasy XV is kinda grindy and poorly implemented like many other Japanese games. By that I mean you're going to be repeating a bunch of the same missions and in order to 'form' a party with friends to go out, you have to create a lobby and have them search for the lobby which will auto-close in 60 seconds of creation and comes with its own issues. After you 'beat' the mission, you're forced back into the single player bit where the shops are and have to go about re-creating the lobby again. It's really awful and I have no idea why the hell so many Japanese games haven't learned how to properly create persistent lobbies/parties in multiplayer games.

oh man I've been gone so long I never got to talk about this.

but yah, FFXV multiplayer was sooooo terrible lol. I can't believe ppl have to pay for that. I spent like 2 hours total on it, and I kind of get it? Like it's very carrot on stick style gameplay with constant incentive to unlock more of the map, but not very fun. Worst part is nobody plays so you always get partnered up with AI, but the daily challenges are mandatory multiplayer, which means they're literally impossible to place since nobody else is playing the game >_<

meanwhile for the last month I've put 90 hours into Monster Hunter World... backlog be damned once again!! This game is too addicting and has carrot on a stick done correctly just by virtue of the fact that it's real fun. And dang, 90 hours is more time than I've put into FFXV altogether too! But after all that time, I think I'm actually done with the game other than occasional multiplayer sessions. Like, I've beaten everything there is to unless I want to start learning even more weapons.

and I saw this on twitter too. More backlog be damned, but Bloodborne actually is a game I want to play so I may consider popping it in this month. Also may play some Nier Automart alongside R.Kasahara.

I'm never gonna finish Yakuza 0 and Xenoblade X at this rate :( lol, nor will I ever start any of my Ys games backlog

#416 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4167 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:12 AM

and I saw this on twitter too. More backlog be damned, but Bloodborne actually is a game I want to play so I may consider popping it in this month. Also may play some Nier Automart alongside R.Kasahara.

I'm never gonna finish Yakuza 0 and Xenoblade X at this rate :( lol, nor will I ever start any of my Ys games backlog

Nier Automobiles will have to wait for me for at least another few days; I really didn't sleep well last night >_< I'll be playing on PC, and will be patching it with FAR after installing to avoid potential headaches. Hopefully that will go well.

I'm also behind on my Ys games, whee...

Meanwhile, Etrian Odyssey V has been going all right, when I've been well enough to play that. I recently arrived on the 12th floor. The little tweaks they've made to the formula continue to impress; the FOE and dungeon gimmicks in particular are very well thought out.

#417 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5564 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

I saw the Humble Bundle, but like usual, I own everything I'm interested in from it already.

I've been trying to play Final Fantasy XII Zodiac on PC, but man, I have some serious issues with the game between the constant cutscenes and the god awful combat. I feel like I'm not even playing a game. A cutscene happens, I move fifty feet and another cutscene happens. I then run from point A to point B not manually attacking anything and another cutscene ensues. At which point I then turn run from point B back to point A for another cutscene and then move another fifty steps from that cutscene to get another cutscene. If I remember right it lets up eventually, but my god.

Also the loading times are way too long on a PC with an SSD for a PS2 era game. I could probably load this up in an emulator and get near instantaneous loading, but this one takes like two seconds to transition which is rather absurd for my machine. If it was console it wouldn't bother me, but it feels like inflated load times for faster machines due to poor programming.

I'm not sure I'll continue that to the end yet again. Not sure if I'll ever beat it as I have trouble enjoying it mostly thanks to the combat and then the game inflates it by putting in so many damn unnecessary cutscenes that do absolutely nothing of value. I just need to find something to do until about the 20th of this month and then Ni no Kuni II, Atelier Lydie & Suelle, followed by Pillars of Eternity II.

I should probably go through the first Pillars game so I can experience the expansions and have a save fully prepared to import into Pillars of Eternity II as well as refresh my memory on events. Going through on the hardest difficulty is out of the question at this point, so I need to decide whether I go through on normal or easy. Also going to need to decide on a class for my main character.

#418 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14938 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:45 AM

White March is Quite Good.

Don't worry too much about your class, though. You can fully respec your character if you import a save into Pillars 2.

#419 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5564 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:22 PM

I like keeping things consistent if I import the same character. My first playthrough I created a rogue as there were no companions at the time who were rogues and my first playthrough I wanted to use a companion party over a created party. Normally when given the choice, I do with some kind of Wizard or Sorcerer as it's the type I usually prefer to play. I decided to just stick with what I like and go wizard like I usually do. Though I need to decide whether I stick with companions or go with a created party. I don't think companion questlines will transfer anything over for those who can be re-recruited in the second game? Just mostly the bigger quests. In which case I'll probably create a party to go with.

I did finally start my Divinity: Original Sin playthrough back up that I began a while ago with a friend on the PS4. Man does the game progress significantly slower on the console.

#420 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14938 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:36 PM

Some details from the companion questlines will carry over, but they're minor. Pallegina, for example,

Spoiler
And I have to imagine the end result of Sagani's questline will come up in Deadfire, too.

Also, multiclassing is a thing now, so even if you want to stay a rogue, maybe now you want to be a rogue/cipher or something.