- - - - -

2016 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

#61 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:23 AM

Half off media and I didnt buy 1 game at 3 different GWs! Thats how much of a joke theyve become around here. I did luck out for once and got a black wireless Xbox One controller with the Play and Charge Kit like NIB for $20. Thought that was odd considering they wanted $20 for the $25 headsets and $40 for the $50 headsets! I would love just 1 nice retro find again! And I passed on a Parrot Rolling Spider drone, they retail for $100 and GW wanted $40 but it was just the drone and the wheels in the opened box. No usb cable, booklets, or inside packaging. Plus I got a mini drone and I barely play with as is.

I have a Syma X5C quad and I used it alot for the first few weeks.  It's been hanging on my wall untouched for almost 6 months, so I know that feeling.

And bad news for the district Goodwills; I heard rumors of it coming, but I just saw the first posted sign yesterday that starting in February, all sales are final.  That's going to backfire, I'm sure, as personally without some sort of return policy, I won't be buying nearly as many electrical items.  One of the other thrift stores near here has the same policy and I rarely shop there, and when I do buy something, it's an item I know I can fix, or at least use it for parts if it doesn't work.

#62 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3912 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:28 AM

Half off media and I didnt buy 1 game at 3 different GWs! Thats how much of a joke theyve become around here. I did luck out for once and got a black wireless Xbox One controller with the Play and Charge Kit like NIB for $20. Thought that was odd considering they wanted $20 for the $25 headsets and $40 for the $50 headsets! I would love just 1 nice retro find again! And I passed on a Parrot Rolling Spider drone, they retail for $100 and GW wanted $40 but it was just the drone and the wheels in the opened box. No usb cable, booklets, or inside packaging. Plus I got a mini drone and I barely play with as is.

Ha. The only thing I see is sport games. Living in the DMV kinda sucks because people know what the retro stuff is worth.

#63 robwhois   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   332 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

robwhois

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

20160117_131543.jpg

Everthing was 2.99 or less from goodwill and and another thrift. Rodea was from Walmart, since they recently dropped the price on it to

29.99. comes with the wii(better version) and wiiu versions

#64 robwhois   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   332 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

robwhois

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

12591826_1027422030634164_737083121_o.jp

A few Target returns I found in one of my local goodwills. Rainbow six is still sealed.

#65 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3912 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:54 PM

A few Target returns I found in one of my local goodwills. Rainbow six is still sealed.

never seen games at mines. nice pickup

#66 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:10 PM

And bad news for the district Goodwills; I heard rumors of it coming, but I just saw the first posted sign yesterday that starting in February, all sales are final.  That's going to backfire, I'm sure, as personally without some sort of return policy, I won't be buying nearly as many electrical items.  One of the other thrift stores near here has the same policy and I rarely shop there, and when I do buy something, it's an item I know I can fix, or at least use it for parts if it doesn't work.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check that with my locals.  All sales are final would definitely limit my GW shopping...

#67 Narukami   http://i.imgur.com/J8SRXIT.jpg The hype is dead. CAGiversary!   2280 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

Really? All my GWs have an All Sales Final policy and have for as long as I have been shopping there. I figured all thrift stores have that policy. It's a dirty policy, to be sure, but there are some scam artists that will switch around bought merchandise for non-working ones.

#68 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:51 PM

Really? All my GWs have an All Sales Final policy and have for as long as I have been shopping there. I figured all thrift stores have that policy. It's a dirty policy, to be sure, but there are some scam artists that will switch around bought merchandise for non-working ones.

Yeah, it's a double edged sword.  While I can see people swapping stickers, there's other people who refuse to pay $20 for something that may or may no work, that can't be tested in store.  One of the other regulars (that spends just as much as I do in that store each week) and I were joking that we're going to have to bring in tool kits to test stereos and food to test the crock pots and skillets before we buy.

I talked to some of the people at my regular store today and they agreed it's ridiculous, especially for electronics.  Apparently, they were told from the higher ups that if sales tank on electronics, to start pricing things cheaper just to get the stuff to move.  But enough about the bad stuff...

Today I just beat one of my competitors to a bunch of blurays and TV seasons.  Paid 1.99 each for:

DVD:

• Always Sunny Seasons 1&2
  • Always Sunny Season 3
  • Always Sunny Season 4
  • Always Sunny Christmas (A Very Sunny Christmas)

Blu:

• Happy Gilmore
  • Pain & Gain
  • Your Highness Unrated
  • The Italian Job (Wahlberg)
  • Drive
  • 50/50
  • Inside Man
  • This is the End

There were a few others that I already had (Expendables, Horrible Bosses), so I extended an olive branch to my competitor and offered them to him instead of putting them back on the shelf.

Some also had UV codes in them, but I haven't tried redeeming them yet.  Now to try to find room for these on the shelf...

#69 Mirpkered   Dyslexic GAC CAGiversary!   1369 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:30 AM

Lucked out and found just dance 2016 for Wii and madden 16 for PS3 as target salvage at the G-Dubs. Those will do nicely to pay off my bravely second and twilight princess gamestop preorders.

#70 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3912 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:35 AM

Yeah, it's a double edged sword.  While I can see people swapping stickers, there's other people who refuse to pay $20 for something that may or may no work, that can't be tested in store.  One of the other regulars (that spends just as much as I do in that store each week) and I were joking that we're going to have to bring in tool kits to test stereos and food to test the crock pots and skillets before we buy.

I talked to some of the people at my regular store today and they agreed it's ridiculous, especially for electronics.  Apparently, they were told from the higher ups that if sales tank on electronics, to start pricing things cheaper just to get the stuff to move.  But enough about the bad stuff...

Today I just beat one of my competitors to a bunch of blurays and TV seasons.  Paid 1.99 each for:

DVD:

• Always Sunny Seasons 1&2
  • Always Sunny Season 3
  • Always Sunny Season 4
  • Always Sunny Christmas (A Very Sunny Christmas)

Blu:

• Happy Gilmore
  • Pain & Gain
  • Your Highness Unrated
  • The Italian Job (Wahlberg)
  • Drive
  • 50/50
  • Inside Man
  • This is the End

There were a few others that I already had (Expendables, Horrible Bosses), so I extended an olive branch to my competitor and offered them to him instead of putting them back on the shelf.

Some also had UV codes in them, but I haven't tried redeeming them yet.  Now to try to find room for these on the shelf...

Always finding the good stuff. Congrats! Do u go out of your way everyday to these places?

#71 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:52 AM

Always finding the good stuff. Congrats! Do u go out of your way everyday to these places?

I used to live across the street from that one, and would go there a few times a day.  I'm about 5 miles away now, so I try to make excuses to go to that store as often as possible.  My storage unit where I keep my Amazon inventory is about a mile away, so whenever I go there I'll drop in to GW.

#72 hey imagamer  

hey imagamer

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

PSA: Tires are low, man! You're wasting savings! :)

#73 burbs1989   Pardon my glove...... CAGiversary!   149 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

burbs1989

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

Picked up A Geforce GT545 PCI-E card for $7.99 at Salvation Army, works great! Been having a dry spell lately, so good to finally get something.

#74 robwhois   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   332 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

robwhois

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:13 AM

PSA: Tires are low, man! You're wasting savings! :)

haha, yeah I need to take care of that this weekend. I think it's just a sensor though, since non of my tires look low

#75 thewin10   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   33 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

thewin10

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:57 AM

haha, yeah I need to take care of that this weekend. I think it's just a sensor though, since non of my tires look low

Winter drops tire pressure a few psi, enough to trigger the sensor. It doesn't have to be flat for it to go off.

#76 hey imagamer  

hey imagamer

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:29 AM

Haha, yeah my first thought was, hey that

Haha yeah I was just messing around, at first thinking, hey that looks like a Mazda console, then I noticed that little detail.

And yeah possibly fine, but in Cheap Ass Gamer-esque fashion, a free solution is to keep an eye out for a gas station that actully has free air and go inside and ask the clerk if they have a pressure gauge that you can borrow for a moment.

Sorry to distract from the topic slightly. ^^

#77 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11450 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:36 PM

Picked up Scooby Doo Dynomut Hour Complete Series, Samurai Jack S1, Prince Caspian the Game PS3, and Tremors the Complete series for 7 at a local thrift store.

Definitely one of my better pick ups in a long time.

#78 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2070 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:54 PM

super mario sunshine, 

pokemon colosseum

Mario Baseball 

Spyro A New Beginning

and 

an orange Gamecube controller (Ive wanted this one for SUCH a long time

for 3 bucks each. 

#79 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11450 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:07 PM

Snapchat-1300095047021522676-1_zps4uvmyd

#80 robwhois   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   332 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

robwhois

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:05 AM

Pretty sure I forgot to post the newest video. Check out me doing some thrifting, and some of the ridiculous prices in these thrift stores.

Oh but I do find a few cool things....  ;)

#81 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11450 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:00 AM

While its more than I wanted to pay, I picked up a sealed copy of Skyward Sword for $16 with a 20% off discount. Sadly, my store's usual 50% discount did not apply. Oh well.

Snapchat-3855021316755698903_zpskp7oha2x

#82 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3912 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:27 AM

Winter drops tire pressure a few psi, enough to trigger the sensor. It doesn't have to be flat for it to go off.

my car did the same thing. put air in it and still on.

#83 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3912 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:39 AM

Pretty sure I forgot to post the newest video. Check out me doing some thrifting, and some of the ridiculous prices in these thrift stores.

Oh but I do find a few cool things....  ;)

Nice. Got two savers in my area. Sadly since living in the DMV, barely see anything game related. Do notice some dealers would come in and try to pick clean the stuff. Some of the stuff is a bit high like dvd $3.99, CD 1.99. Saw a ps3, but was asking for $80. Nice pickup on super mario rpg and the ps1 games.

#84 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:44 PM

While its more than I wanted to pay, I picked up a sealed copy of Skyward Sword for $16 with a 20% off discount. Sadly, my store's usual 50% discount did not apply. Oh well.

Aside from some people that were able to get the $9.97 Sears deal, $16 was probably the best anyone else got for a new copy, especially if it is the soundtrack version.

my car did the same thing. put air in it and still on.

Did you recalibrate afterwards to reset your pressure sensor?  Usually you just have to hold the button for 3-5 seconds.

#85 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1222 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:44 PM

Remember when I wanted a retro score in my last post.......Nintendo stuff made it to the shelf around here?! Left an av cable, Blitz 2000, and a $4 baggy of Pokemon cards (looked like 90% energy cards) but grabbed this stuff for $10.15. No system found, I did 2 laps around the store since some of this was in toys and some was electronics.

20160203_1127031_zpsvujc265x.jpg

#86 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11450 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:52 PM

Aside from some people that were able to get the $9.97 Sears deal, $16 was probably the best anyone else got for a new copy, especially if it is the soundtrack version.

Yeah, I figured so. Only if the store's 50% off applied to it and not 20%. :lol: And it is the Soundtrack version.

I'm so surprised this was actually donated to the store. And I'm even more surprised that it was still there on a Tuesday.

#87 The Punisher   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3912 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

The Punisher

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

Yeah, I figured so. Only if the store's 50% off applied to it and not 20%. :lol: And it is the Soundtrack version.

I'm so surprised this was actually donated to the store. And I'm even more surprised that it was still there on a Tuesday.

If it was in DMV area, that thing be gone by opening. Nice pickup.

#88 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:57 AM

9Fo6ADn.jpg

My Goodwill keeps having some pretty good GBA finds :)

#89 FOnewearl   Whooooooooa Bundy! CAGiversary!   1749 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:53 AM

IIRC $15 after coupon at Best Buy and shortly before that Kmart had Skyward Sword which was advertised in a flyer for $20 which was an error in the price of which I don't remember the details for the best deals I can remember being readily available.

I don't live in a big area and remember my Kmart had a small army of Skyward Swords at least 30 of them which is a lot to see for any game around here especially at a Kmart. A number of months later they all disappeared so I'm guessing they got sent to another store or warehouse.

#90 mchittumjr  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

12_zpsrkervh7d.jpg

$9.99 for Just Dance 2015 still has Xbox seal on it.

$2 for Contra (Complete)

Saw a Mad Cats PS2 Steering Whell with the box for $10. Would of taken up too much room.