Amazon Prime Members get 20% off Games from Pre-orders and New Releases

Jeff Jr.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Didn't see this posted.

Prime Members get 20% off New Releases and Pre-Orders till 2 weeks after releases Date. 

http://www.amazon.com/b/?&node=13584215011

Prime Exclusive Savings 20% off new physical video games during pre-order through two weeks after release Discount will be applied automatically at checkout Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon Offer will be automatically extended to all existing Prime member pre-orders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh poor amazon, not a bad attempt but that two week limit on new releases is lame. Gcu owns this, especially since its easy to rack up reward zone coupons with gcu when the double points kick in

Not overall better than GCU, but I love this because it does compete, and the best thing about it is it includes digital as well, unlike GCU. This is great. This doesn't seem temporary either. Getting UC4 digital, since I know I'll like the game, and it seems like it is not coming with $10 reward at bb

Wow this came from out of nowhere. Hopefully it applies to all new releases. Amazon becomes my go to place for niche vita titles

I don't have GCU, so this is a huge benefit for me.  Would be nice if benefits extended past two weeks, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Also stoked that it says it applies to current pre-orders.

$30 GCU - 2 Year Membership > $100 Amazon Prime - 1 Year Membership

Amazon at one point was super kind and offered $10 to even $20 reward certificates for pre-ordering games from them... The good ol' days. What happened?

Well at least now Gravity Rush Remastered being Amazon exclusive doesn't seem so bad. Guessing I'll have to cancel and re-order tho.

$30 GCU - 2 Year Membership > $100 Amazon Prime - 1 Year Membership

Amazon at one point was super kind and offered $10 to even $20 reward certificates for pre-ordering games from them... The good ol' days. What happened?
But no one is buying Prime exclusively for this 20% discount. It's essentially just an added bonus.

The barrier of entry is what kills this for me. I currently have both Prime and GCU, but  while Prime is better overall, with games, I prefer GCU. Not only can I get 20% off right away for the next two years for just $30 (as opposed to $200 over the course of those same two years), but I can also go to the store and pick up the game right away instead of waiting for a delivery man to deliver it and possibly lose it or damage it in the mail.

One really positive thing about this is amazon doesnt charge until the item ships AND makes it super simple to change payment method / delivery address, so important thing to keep in mind as opposed to best buy. I know Ive been in situations where I had to change payment options due to credit card number changes.

This is good news for everyone, there has always been a fear that Best Buy may start nerfing the GCU program but amazon implementing this means BBY will have to stay competitive.

If anything it ups the ante on Gamestop, they are total shit right now for pre orders and now both Amazon and Best Buy are way better.

Actually I was wrong, I just went through the process and it only (not sure why a discount was applied at all) took off 2 bucks for digital. It took of 12 for physical but addead 2.xx tax, and I usually don't get charged tax on Amazon? This is weak lol.

Great bonus for those with prime, but doesn't make me want to sign up since I already have GCU. Good to have competition though.  

Guess I'll just wait a day to see if my existing orders have price changes.

Anyway, I pre-ordered these:

- Dark Souls III: D1 Edition

- Dragon Quest VII [3DS]

- The Last Guardian

- Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir Storybook Edition

I thought about reserving Dishonored 2 and Final Fantasy XV, but I rather wait for confirmations on them having special editions in the future.  Who knows if The Last Guardian will ever have a SE; probably not, though.  Same for the FFVII remake; just gonna wait on that.

This is good news for everyone, there has always been a fear that Best Buy may start nerfing the GCU program but amazon implementing this means BBY will have to stay competitive.

If anything it ups the ante on Gamestop, they are total shit right now for pre orders and now both Amazon and Best Buy are way better.
problem is...Gamestop has never given a fuck about competition. They know they are the easiest place to go buy video games and they consider themselves a 'specialty' store so I dont see them doing anything about this. Theyll still get all the casuals and soccer moms.

problem is...Gamestop has never given a fuck about competition. They know they are the easiest place to go buy video games and they consider themselves a 'specialty' store so I dont see them doing anything about this. Theyll still get all the casuals and soccer moms.
Unfortunately.

I dont have prime anymore and dont plan on re-upping so Gravity Rush being exclusive sucks. I was waiting for Best Buy to put it up and now that will never happen.

Actually I was wrong, I just went through the process and it only (not sure why a discount was applied at all) took off 2 bucks for digital. It took of 12 for physical but addead 2.xx tax, and I usually don't get charged tax on Amazon? This is weak lol.
It's possible that you have no-rush credit that's being applied to the digital.

Bit of math with the rewards (if you use an Amazon rewards card anyway):

Assumptions:

Preordering a 59.99 game (and no other incentives)

(BB) 250 points = $5

Have Elite Plus (I think the other levels are still pretty negligible in this situation anyway, few points here and there)

Using Amazon Rewards Card for both purchases

California Tax (...I think Amazon Card uses tax for rewards lol) so the 59.99 game comes out to 52.31

Best Buy GCU:

Purchase Value: 47
GCU: 47
Elite Plus (25% bonus): 12
Total: 106
106/250 = $2.12

If you add Amazon Rewards Card:
52.31 * .01 = .52
Grand Total for BB: $2.64 in rewards overall

Amazon:
52.31 * 0.03 = 1.57 (rounded up)

Still see BB GCU as the front runner for this type of stuff. I think I did the math right lol

Bit of math with the rewards (if you use an Amazon rewards card anyway):

Assumptions:

Preordering a 59.99 game (and no other incentives)

(BB) 250 points = $5

Have Elite Plus (I think the other levels are still pretty negligible in this situation anyway, few points here and there)

Using Amazon Rewards Card for both purchases

California Tax (...I think Amazon Card uses tax for rewards lol) so the 59.99 game comes out to 52.31

Best Buy GCU:

Purchase Value: 47
GCU: 47
Elite Plus (25% bonus): 12
Total: 106
106/250 = $2.12

If you add Amazon Rewards Card:
52.31 * .01 = .52
Grand Total for BB: $2.64 in rewards overall

Amazon:
52.31 * 0.03 = 1.57 (rounded up)

Still see BB GCU as the front runner for this type of stuff. I think I did the math right lol
1458840998989_zpsxmnwbugv.png

I live in a state where Amazon doesn't charge tax and I have an Amazon rewards credit card so I'm happy to have another option since it's always good to have competition. Hopefully, this makes either company bring back the $10 preorder bonus. 

hmm if I sign up for trial, how do I get the 20% off applied to stuff like Zero Escape 3 LE?  Will cancel at end of trial too.

They are going to care, they announced earnings today and they dropped 10% in sales year over year (in a year when everyone else is going up) and the stock plunged 6%

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13421389/1/gamestop-gme-stock-retreats-on-weak-software-sales.html

Its also one of the most highly shorted stocks on the market I think.

Probably though they won't be aggressive about policy changes for right now, and then a new CEO will come in and revamp things - who knows for better or worse.

I'm not seeing any savings on new copies of older games.

For example, KH 2.5 is $15.99 GCU but still $19.99 on Amazon.

GCU still wins.

People need to remember when comparing to Best Buy's GCU, that this is only on Amazon pre-orders so you have to pre-order it to get the 20% discount or buy it within two weeks of release only.

That's why I love GCU since the discount is for the life of BestBuy carrying the game even after release. 

But this is still a good deal.

Actually, I get all the soccer moms.

Na, Gamestop is still in the game. They're selling you 4x $9.99 games for $40.

BTW, anyone knows if it means you have to have Prime when the pre-order ships to get the discount? Or can I order everything in the next week before my Prime runs out and get the discount? I assume it's the latter, but with the way Amazon handles pre-order price adjustments, I'm less sure.

Pretty sweet deal for an added bonus.  I'll probably stick with BB for most pre-orders, especially those with $10 bonus certs, but if I know a certain game will cause me to exceed the 3/platform/year clause, I'll certainly go the Amazon route in addition.  (I'm talking the annual iterations of CoD or other popular multiplayer shooters my son and nephews all play.)

BB still wins for year-round savings, even when item is on sale.  BB's Black Friday was still tops for most everything I got this year when GCU kicked in on top of their sale prices.

Amazon is trying to convince me to renew my Prime. They'll have to do better then half-ass matching Best Buy's GCU if they want another $90+ from me.

Don't understand? How are all of you paying $99 or whatever?

Step 1: Find relative in college

Step 2: Sign up for Student Prime

Step 3: Only pay $49 for Prime

bread's done
Back