Star Wars Complete Saga 9 Disc Blu Ray Box Set - Vader Cover - $64 shipped

YES, I was one of the ones searching for this set. I was tempted numerous times to drop 90 bucks on it when it went on  sale but glad I held back. The normal retail price for this is $139.99.

There's still two more after that though. ;D

But for those who have been searching for the set, this is a good price. ^__^
Yeah I'm in the spot where I want 1-6 on Blu-Ray (have them on DVD already), but know that I'll buy the 1-9 set once that comes out. I think it will be impossible for me not to buy Force Awakens and Episode VIII right away though. Also, they'll probably release Episode IX without a peep about a complete box set to get you to buy that, and THEN announce a full nine episode saga set.

[SIZE=medium]Disney fully intends to release Star Wars films indefinitely so even when this next trilogy ends you can bet the new trilogy will already be underway. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Not to mention the spinoff anthology films.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So it’s safe to assume there won’t be a “complete” collection for a very long time anymore than you can expect a complete Marvel collection. [/SIZE]

That's the way to go IMO. It may take Amazon UK forever to ship, but otherwise their service is stellar. Well worth paying an extra $2.
actually with movies i import from there i usually receive them in less then a week after shipping and that using normal standard shipping

actually with movies i import from there i usually receive them in less then a week after shipping and that using normal standard shipping
Damn. It usually takes me around a week to get anything from US's Amazon when I use the no rush option.

[SIZE=medium]Disney fully intends to release Star Wars films indefinitely so even when this next trilogy ends you can bet the new trilogy will already be underway. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Not to mention the spinoff anthology films. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So it’s safe to assume there won’t be a “complete” collection for a very long time anymore than you can expect a complete Marvel collection. [/SIZE]
Yeah, guys... totally this!

With the first 6 movies being owned by Fox and all movies made thereafter owned by Disney, I don't think you will ever find a 'Complete' set. Not unless Disney buys out all the rights to the original 6 movies and I don't see Fox relinquishing the rights for those films.

With the first 6 movies being owned by Fox and all movies made thereafter owned by Disney, I don't think you will ever find a 'Complete' set. Not unless Disney buys out all the rights to the original 6 movies and I don't see Fox relinquishing the rights for those films.
actually all the movies are owned by lucasfilm which sold it to disney. All 6 films are Disney's and all rights except for one thing. Only the first film "star wars" because of a archaic contract, is distributed by fox, so fox has the right to distribute it on video and online, however they don't want to mess up their good thing with star wars so they give disney the right to package it with bundles and they will get their pound of flesh for the first movie from disney. Now, all future releases will drop the fox fanfare for movies 2-6, and all future sequels. So only the first movie will have the fox fanfare. So these releases with the fox fanfare for movies 2-6 will become rare.

Those UK Amazon orders are the Region Free version which is shit. True collector's go for the American, MPAA rated version. It just feels more official and doesn't feel cheap and shit. Like those games and Blu Rays that are in English and French. Just look cheap as shit.

After researching it some more, it appears Fox has the rights to Episode IV:A New Hope for perpetuity but it has the rights to the 5 other movies only till 2020 where it will then revert back to Disney. With that in mind, I don't think anything more complete than this set here will be out before 2020 unless anyone heard Fox signed a deal of some kind with Disney. As far as I know, that hasn't happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
After researching it some more, it appears Fox has the rights to Episode IV:A New Hope for perpetuity but it has the rights to the 5 other movies only till 2020 where it will then revert back to Disney. With that in mind, I don't think anything more complete than this set here will be out before 2020 unless anyone heard Fox signed a deal of some kind with Disney. As far as I know, that hasn't happened.
I'm not an expert, but this is the story as I know it too. The first film is Fox's free and clear. The next five were owned by Lucas but long term leased to Fox. I think Fox had what amounted to first right of refusal on renewing that but I have no idea how the Disney sale changed things. It will be interesting as 2020approaches because I doubt Fox is going to give up what they have without a fight.

Also, just pure speculation here, but I'm guessing people holding out for unaltered films will have to wait until the then for that to even be a possibility as I believe the terms of the Fox agreement are very strict about what can be released. Again, just going by what I've read in years of following this stuff.

Yep, 2020 will be here before you know it. Until then, I don't expect a better Star Wars set content-wise than what's in this set except if we're lucky enough to get something on 4k.

In the future, it'll be so weird to get a Star Wars collection minus the first movie but I'm sure by then Disney might be willing to pay Fox a bundle to get the rights to the first movie. Just speculation but, from a business perspective, is one that makes sense.

I'm really curious about that too. On one hand, you have Fox who I believe were financially saved by Star Wars and have been depending on that income ever since. The other hand is Disney, who aren't exactly known for compromises and have a lot of money invested in Lucasfilm, which is based on the Star Wars franchise. Disney managed to work a deal with Universal a few years ago to give them the rights to the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoons, but that was more of a prestige deal than anything else because who other than animation nerds and Disney completists are really that interested in black and white cartoons from the 20s? This has the potential to be a big windfall to whoever ends up with these films. If there's any wiggle room at all in whatever deals exist, things could get very interesting.

Aren't the discs the same between the two sets? Do people actually like the cheap-feeling Darth Vader cover better than the solid shadow one? I know it's more prequel inspired art, but the box is just better. And as much as I hate the book, it's much better than the plastic case... unless the paint/paper gets stuck to the disc like it did with a buddy.

If you want a better case, go get the steelboxes from Best Buy or something. I'm gonna pass on this, considering my feelings about what Lucas did in the 90s.

Those UK Amazon orders are the Region Free version which is shit. True collector's go for the American, MPAA rated version. It just feels more official and doesn't feel cheap and shit. Like those games and Blu Rays that are in English and French. Just look cheap as shit.
WTF are you even rambling about?

Aren't the discs the same between the two sets? Do people actually like the cheap-feeling Darth Vader cover better than the solid shadow one? I know it's more prequel inspired art, but the box is just better. And as much as I hate the book, it's much better than the plastic case... unless the paint/paper gets stuck to the disc like it did with a buddy.
I don't really care about the cover art. It's going to be sitting on a shelf anyways.

And in what bizarro version of hell do you come from where being encased in cardboard is actually better than a plastic case? That seems completely asinine. The cardboard shit is so bad I've gotten to where I refuse to purchase anything with the discs encased in cardboard unless it's dirt cheap. The new Indiana Jones release was particularly bad, I had to go through 3 returns before I got a set where the original 3 films would all play....... and I STILL had to go without the bonus disc and Crystal Skulls movie.

Cover art is debatable, but I can't fathom preferring that cheap, shitty cardboard packaging over a real case like this. And I can't fathom how these bastards think it's ok to charge such ridiculous premiums for such old movies, yet can't be bothered to spend the extra pennies to put them in a proper case (of course we all know full well it's intentional.... the more discs that are damaged the more replacements people will buy).

Last edited:
If you want a better case, go get the steelboxes from Best Buy or something. I'm gonna pass on this, considering my feelings about what Lucas did in the 90s.
I didn't buy the steelbooks but I hear they contain less extras than their counterpart in the trilogy sets or might even have no extras. That's probably why they didn't sell.

I didn't buy the steelbooks but I hear they contain less extras than their counterpart in the trilogy sets or might even have no extras. That's probably why they didn't sell.
All the extras (sans commentaries) are in the 3 bonus discs on the Complete Saga set. The individual Steelbook releases just use the movie discs from the Complete Saga set, so all you get is commentaries. In order to include other extras, entire new discs would have to be made and Fox figured it wasn't worth the effort.

All the extras (sans commentaries) are in the 3 bonus discs on the Complete Saga set. The individual Steelbook releases just use the movie discs from the Complete Saga set, so all you get is commentaries. In order to include other extras, entire new discs would have to be made and Fox figured it wasn't worth the effort.
Thanks. I knew there was a good reason why they weren't selling. The Complete Saga set is probably the way to go until should, God forbid, Fox decides to put out a better set in 4k with both the theatrical and Lucas-ized versions in one set. That would be a miracle.

Thanks. I knew there was a good reason why they weren't selling. The Complete Saga set is probably the way to go until should, God forbid, Fox decides to put out a better set in 4k with both the theatrical and Lucas-ized versions in one set. That would be a miracle.
Haven't someone at either Fox or Disney already said they wouldn't do that until after Lucas died? I can't recall exactly but it seems like I read that somewhere.

Either way if it doesn't happen now it probably won't ever happen, what with the original trilogy being split between Fox and Disney in a few years and the fact that they've been feuding (dirty feuding at that) over Fox's Marvel stuff.

I forgot the Marvel stuff is split over so many studios even though Disney bought Marvel. If I remember right, Fox still has X-Men and FF and Sony still has Spiderman.

Honestly, I think the biggest reason the Steelbooks didn't sell was because they were all separated into their individual movies. If they had released the Steelbooks as the two trilogies, it likely would have sold much better.

I forgot the Marvel stuff is split over so many studios even though Disney bought Marvel. If I remember right, Fox still has X-Men and FF and Sony still has Spiderman.
Yep. Sony has been playing ball with Disney (by which I mean basically rolling over and submitting to Disney's every whim lol) but Fox and Disney have been going at it. I've read it's caused a lot of animosity between the two.

It's hard to place blame though, they've both made some shitty moves. I still think it's really shitty for Marvel to crap on the X and FF comics the way they have just because there's no movie potential there..... on the other hand, I can't say I wouldn't have also cancelled the FF comic after reading the part of the movie script I got way back when. The X-Men movies have been their own clusterfuck at that but at least they are entertaining.

Oh well, Deadpool should be some mindless, childish fun at any rate.

Last edited:
Yep. Sony has been playing ball with Disney (by which I mean basically rolling over and submitting to Disney's every whim lol) but Fox and Disney have been going at it. I've read it's caused a lot of animosity between the two.

It's hard to place blame though, they've both made some shitty moves. I still think it's really shitty for Marvel to crap on the X and FF comics the way they have just because there's no movie potential there..... on the other hand, I can't say I wouldn't have also cancelled the FF comic after reading the part of the movie script I got way back when. The X-Men movies have been their own clusterfuck at that but at least they are entertaining.

Oh well, Deadpool should be some mindless, childish fun at any rate.
The Deadpool trailer cracked me up.

Its been over 2 decades since I was a comic book addict but can so relate to all the Marvel movies because all the movie storylines were basically taken from that era when I was collecting comics. The X-Men movies were entertaining but they barely touched on the Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past storyline which was so much more dramatic in the comics. Liked the original FF movies even though they were kinda corny but heard the FF reboot, which I haven't watched yet, was a disaster which is often the case when you veer too far from the original material. With this rift between Fox and Disney, I wonder contract-wise how long Fox will hold onto the X-Men and FF franchises. As for comic book companies crapping on their characters, I've seen it too often. That and the cost of a comic was why I quit collecting. The very last comics I collected was the Death of Superman and the subsequent corny issues that brought him back. After that, I said goodbye to comic book collecting.

Hear the next Marvel movie from Disney follows the Civil War storyline that pits Captain America against Iron Man. I wasn't too crazy about that storyline. We'll see how it plays on the big screen.

Honestly, I think the biggest reason the Steelbooks didn't sell was because they were all separated into their individual movies. If they had released the Steelbooks as the two trilogies, it likely would have sold much better.
You're probably right but if they expected people to pay $15 to $20 per movie with nothing new in content except just a metal tin whose boxart doesn't look that great, it's just poor marketing. Fox could have made a bundle capitalizing on the release of The Force Awakens but their efforts were lackluster.

I guess they figured there were enough Star Wars fanatics who would buy them for the packaging alone.  That and it was a good chance to do individual releases for each movie for those who just wanted their favorite one.

I was curious why we had 5 steelbooks focused on villains, and one with Yoda lol.  Did somebody decide that Dooku looked too normal for a cover?  Or why not use one of the droids?

Wishing these steelbooks will eventually go down to maybe $5.99, I might pick up a few. Otherwise, the Complete Saga is the only way to go.

Hear the next Marvel movie from Disney follows the Civil War storyline that pits Captain America against Iron Man. I wasn't too crazy about that storyline. We'll see how it plays on the big screen.
The only similarity is Cap vs. Iron Man and kinda sorta superhero registration. The reasons for it are vastly different (movie version is because of Avengers 2) and a subplot is the redemption of Winter Soldier.

The only similarity is Cap vs. Iron Man and kinda sorta superhero registration. The reasons for it are vastly different (movie version is because of Avengers 2) and a subplot is the redemption of Winter Soldier.
It'll be good if it's vastly different than the comics. The whole superhero registration thing plays too close to the mutant registration storyline on X-Men so not that fun to watch.

Hoping Disney doesn't mess up this one since Avengers 2 wasn't too great. They need to keep the story solid instead of purely relying on special effects.

You're probably right but if they expected people to pay $15 to $20 per movie with nothing new in content except just a metal tin whose boxart doesn't look that great, it's just poor marketing. Fox could have made a bundle capitalizing on the release of The Force Awakens but their efforts were lackluster.
For me just a steelcase wasn't enough to justify buying another copy of starwars I own 2 DVD sets and the complete saga with the extras disc, now if it would have come with the digital copy uv I could have justified a purchase.

What are the differences between this set and the previous "complete saga" set on blu-ray?

Which one is the one to own?

I got notification that my order shipped today, but I didn't get any kind of tracking information.

I'll post pictures when it arrives if none are posted prior to then.

Be prepared to wait between 2 weeks to a month from when it ships. I've even had one shipment mysteriously get returned. Decided I could do without it since I didn't want to deal with waiting for the package yet again.

What are the differences between this set and the previous "complete saga" set on blu-ray?

Which one is the one to own?
There's no difference content-wise. The 2011 saga has a "book style" insert that houses all the blurays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPw4DvRz1vo

The 2015 release has a more traditional style of insert, much like if you bought a season of a TV show on DVD. I think I prefer 2011's style over this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0qb2l7XXDM

bread's done
Back