Need a New TV - $7,000 price limit

jr233270

CAGiversary!
Feedback
139 (100%)
Looking for a new TV in the $5000 to $7000 range. 

Size: 55 inches to 60 inches

Resolution: 4k

HDR: Yes

3D: Yes, preferably, but not required

Curved: Not opposed but prefer flat

Main Use: Movies, Sports

Room: Living Room - not too bright in the room

I do not need to spend my entire budget but I do not want to be in the position where I get a tv then get home wishing I had gone for the higher end model.  I want this TV to last me several years. 

I have been thinking about the LG 4K OLED tv.  

Any input? Recommendations?  Should I wait a few months until the 2016 models come out or jump on some of the deals next week for the Superbowl?

Last edited by a moderator:
The JS9500 is $4100ish, the 930c is $2800, the 940c is $6000, respectivly the tv you are keen on is $5000. 2016 models don't come out until another 4-6 months, you won't see price drops until the newer models are almost coming out. The bastards seem to raise the prices by a bit once they do come out to make the newer models a bit more enticing.

The 930c just dropped the lowest it's been today, I'm not big on Sony after what happened to my original 850A, it died on me almost a year to the day that I received it. I picked up the the JS9500 in June of last year. If you can wait you may be able to get a deal on one of these and a UHD player or just get one of the 2016 models based on your budget you wont have a problem. You can lurk around avsForums and get an idea of whats coming out this year, I haven't taken a look yet but ces just ended a few weeks ago so you may be able to get an idea.

If the LG would have came out a few months earlier it may have been a harder choice to decide on which, I had a great deal on the 930c when it first came out, $1000 off the list price but it was backordered on the Sony site so I just cancelled.

I know I can get anything.  I just want to make sure I get the best there is.  My issue in the past has been that I buy something then I get buyer's remorse almost immediately after reading there is something better.

Any other recommendations?  I'm leaning towards the LG55EF9500 but can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

I think you should wait, I think Samsung is first followed by Sony with the 2016 models, lg is early fall. You may see a price drop or some sort of bundle (uhd player, soundbar). Also, if purchasing at bestbuy get the credit card and choose to get the RZ points promo, I got almost $600 back in space bucks from best buy. Just make sure you pay in full on the first payment so you don't get hit with interest.

Also, get the bigger size so you don't regret it, I would have loved the 75 js9500 but not for $10k.

I think you should wait, I think Samsung is first followed by Sony with the 2016 models, lg is early fall. You may see a price drop or some sort of bundle (uhd player, soundbar). Also, if purchasing at bestbuy get the credit card and choose to get the RZ points promo, I got almost $600 back in space bucks from best buy. Just make sure you pay in full on the first payment so you don't get hit with interest.

Also, get the bigger size so you don't regret it, I would have loved the 75 js9500 but not for $10k.
I would love to go for a bigger size there but my room cannot support it. This is going in the living room adjacent to the kitchen and my wife would kill me if I put a 75 inch TV in there. Also, I am mounting the TV to the wall so I am rethinking the curved tv since I find them to look a bit odd hanging on walls.

Any idea when the 2016 Samsung TVs are coming out?

I'm not sure, CES was last month, they still haven't announced a date. With what your telling me, I think your better off with the LG, the vewing angle is pretty bad with the curved. The 55" LG isn't a deal breaker and a pretty solid TV, from what I've read it's not so gaming friendly.

http://www.displaywars.com/55-inch-16x9-vs-65-inch-16x9
Do you, or does anyone else for that matter, have any personal experience with the viewing angle sitting below this tv? The tv will hang about 5 feet high on a wall above a fireplace mantle and the seating is considerable lower than the bottom of the tv. Any thoughts?

The LG or the Samsung? I have the 65 js9500, I have it on a stand that sits close to 3ft high. I don't think it should be a problem, I think they even have walmounts that angle down. As long as your not incredibly close it shouldn't be a problem.

So I've made my decision.  Going with the LG 55EF9500 (OLED 4k) from best Buy.  Comes with a free wall mount and a free 4k inch LG 1080p tv.  With the 2 year protection plan comes out to $3,352.95.  

Any last minute suggestions before I pull the trigger tonight?

Don't buy any HDMI cables from them, Costco has a nice pair for cheap.

http://www.costco.com/WireLogic-6-Feet-Sapphire-HDMI-Cable.product.11748473.html

As far as 4K content, Netflix and Amazon have a bit, don't go crazy on MGO. The Samsung Ultra HD player just came out but seems really buggy from what I've been reading. Just sit back and enjoy it and take some pics when your done.
I usually get mine from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-2-Pack/dp/B00L3KNWBU/

bread's done
Back