* * * * - 28 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#29971 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7245 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:50 PM

This is my first PA purchase.  If I want to get an import I'd usually just wait till someone sold it on Amazon.  Anyway, do they require a signature every time?

Mine are supposed to be signed for, but my new postman is to lazy to walk to my door, so he marks it "left with recipient" and puts it in my box. Before he took over, my old postman had me sign for each one, unless he called me and asked permission to leave it in my box with out having my signature. My last PA order was awhile back, but up to that point, that's how it worked each time.

#29972 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4979 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:54 PM

Mine are supposed to be signed for, but my new postman is to lazy to walk to my door, so he marks it "left with recipient" and puts it in my box. Before he took over, my old postman had me sign for each one, unless he called me and asked permission to leave it in my box with out having my signature. My last PA order was awhile back, but up to that point, that's how it worked each time.

Do you go with the free/cheapest shipping options? I don't think I've ever had to sign for one of those with PA. 

#29973 Fades   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   390 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:57 PM

Has anybody else's Trails of Cold Steel III Thors Academy Edition shipped from NISA yet? Release date is tomorrow and it's looking more and more like it's not going to arrive on time. :???:

Never recieved a shipping notice and it arrived in the mail today.

#29974 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8619 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:59 PM

Yes, always.  PSN treats them as separate games.  Separate player base, trophy lists, etc.

But from what I understand switch carts work differently.  I haven't tried this myself but I believe different games handle dlc and online features differently.  Some have dlc and online features locked to region while others do not.  Could be wrong on this part through.

Prior Pokemon games haven't been region locked for online connectivity. I've not spent enough time with multiplayer games on the Switch to have an intimate knowledge of how things normally work. But every Pokemon game since X/Y (when I first started using the online features) had a very big focus on global connectivity. 

Further, there are some hard and fast rules for Sony stuff (which really shouldn't be used to speculate for Nintendo, as they're different)--such as saves and DLC being region locked. But online connectivity is definitely a game by game basis. I'd assume the same is true here, and I'd be beyond shocked if the MP features were region locked in Pokemon. They can't really afford any more outrage regarding this game, and it would be a stupid and regressive decision. 

Hopefully that helps, even if it isn't 100% concrete. 

Right so...If you bought something like the EU disc for Monster Hunter World on PS4 you wouldn't be able to join gameplay sessions with your NA friends, right?

But if you bought EU version of Pokemon Sword/Shield it would probably have no problem matching you with everyone, right?

So even though both systems are region free, the PS4 and Switch ecosystems each have separate, different ways of handling the multiplayer matching with people who don't own matching regional software.

#29975 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4979 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:05 PM

Right so...If you bought something like the EU disc for Monster Hunter World on PS4 you wouldn't be able to join gameplay sessions with your NA friends, right?

But if you bought EU version of Pokemon Sword/Shield it would probably have no problem matching you with everyone, right?

It's a game-by-game basis. I 'believe' that MHW does not have region locked multiplayer. I played it on PC, though--where I know it doesn't--so I'm not 100% sure for PS4. One of my best friends lives in Scotland, and we've played an enormous amount of games together over the past 10 years on numerous consoles (including PS3 and PS4). Region locked multiplayer/co-op is really not very common. Also, loads and loads of Sony titles have unified regional trophy lists. It's also a game by game basis. I typically use Playstationtrophies.org to check for trophy list variants. 

Every Pokemon game from X/Y on have allowed you to partake in all forms of Multiplayer shenanigans with players from all over the world. You'll even get Pokemon with names and details in other languages (and get those added to your pokedex, if memory serves). I really wouldn't worry about it for these titles. Nintendo also definitely doesn't region lock Switch MP across the board--just two nights ago I played Smash with an Australian. It was a laggy, awful time, but it still happened. 

#29976 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8619 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:06 PM

It's a game-by-game basis. I 'believe' that MHW does not have region locked multiplayer. I played it on PC, though--where I know it doesn't--so I'm not 100% sure for PS4. One of my best friends lives in Scotland, and we've played an enormous amount of games together over the past 10 years on numerous consoles (including PS3 and PS4). Region locked multiplayer/co-op is really not very common. Also, loads and loads of Sony titles have unified regional trophy lists. It's also a game by game basis. I typically use Playstationtrophies.org to check for trophy list variants. 

Every Pokemon game from X/Y on have allowed you to partake in all forms on Multiplayer shenanigans with players from all over the world. You'll even get Pokemon with names and details in other languages (and get those added to your pokedex, if memory serves). I really wouldn't worry about it for these titles. Nintendo also definitely doesn't region lock Switch MP across the board--just two nights ago I played Smash with an Australian. It was a laggy, awful time, but it still happened.

Ok great.  Thank you for the detailed explanation Zaku. 

So I suppose there is a chance that you could have a pair of identically titled games with different SKUs, separate trophy lists, differing gameplay segments (one is censored), but still it might let you cross-region matchmake.  Case-by-case basis.  I think I understand it now. 

Time to buy those EU steelbook versions of the Pokemon games then!

#29977 bigstew  

Posted Yesterday, 01:02 AM

trash, its great a world wide release is close but nothing about anything phsyical for the west or if its jp only with subs, for a 95% rehashed game with gimmicks no news or facts for the west why pay less for the same songs plus future dx selective expensive overpriced dlc, would be nice if they provided more facts and less rehash jp fandom

#29978 ar4757   Makoto x Joker is canon CAGiversary!   939 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 03:56 AM

So even though both systems are region free, the PS4 and Switch ecosystems each have separate, different ways of handling the multiplayer matching with people who don't own matching regional software.

For example Call of Duty on PS4 is region-free in terms of multiplayer connectivity, but it's not guaranteed for every other game series out there.

Pokemon will definitely work so go for it!

#29979 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2842 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 01:50 PM

That's what I'm hoping will happen with mine.   It just had me a little concerned when I ordered that it said signature required.

My last serious out of country purchases were back in the days of Liksang when the Dreamcast had it's last run of unofficial releases.  Even back then I'd lean more towards NCSX.com to be 100% sure what I was buying was legit.  These days I mostly lean towards Amazon for imports (from US resellers) or on the rare occasion Ebay.

#29980 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7245 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted Yesterday, 02:38 PM

Do you go with the free/cheapest shipping options? I don't think I've ever had to sign for one of those with PA. 

There was a time when PA allowed for shipping options, and the cheapest one never used to ask for a signature. At some point, they begin to have delays and a big amount of missing packages. So once they begin to include "free" shipping by their own accord, that's when I believe they started having a signature for that option. I think they started having to many charge backs and issues with not having signatures, so now it's mandatory.

As I stated, this appears to be left to the whims of the postal person delivering said package, as mine show "signature required". That's why when ever those are left, the postman has to put "left with individual", even though he leaves it in the box. Because if there's ever an issue, he can't claim I signed for it, if it was labeled "left in box/or at the door". Of course I've never signed, so if it came to that, it's his ass, but it's on him and that's the risk he takes to save a few minutes.

That's what I'm hoping will happen with mine.   It just had me a little concerned when I ordered that it said signature required.

My last serious out of country purchases were back in the days of Liksang when the Dreamcast had it's last run of unofficial releases.  Even back then I'd lean more towards NCSX.com to be 100% sure what I was buying was legit.  These days I mostly lean towards Amazon for imports (from US resellers) or on the rare occasion Ebay.

Damn, hearing Lik-Sang takes me back, that place was the BOMB! And NCSX was my go to spot back in my crazy "N" import days, as I was on a first name basis with girl who took phone orders at the time, so that should tell anyone how bad my addiction was. LOL

#29981 cloudmd23   Tojo Clan Member CAGiversary!   214 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 06:07 PM

Yes, mine arrived today as well.  Installing now.

Didnt' get any kind of shipping update or tracking.  But happy to have it.  Was packaged well.

A sealed Early Enrollment edition is in the box.  So the extra game case is nice.  The soundtrack sampler cd is redundant since those 5 tracks are also on the soundtrack, but that's fine with me.

Yep, mine was on my doorstep when I got home yesterday. I was very confused when I got an email saying my order was fulfilled even though I never got any sort of shipping confirmation. Ah well, happy to have it before release!

#29982 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20935 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 02:49 AM

A deal, probably not deal, but if anyone is interested, a seller on eBay has World of Final Fantasy Maxima Switch listed for, EUR 12.50 Approximately US $13.93 with shipping at EUR 3.00 (approx. US $3.34).

New seller just made account recently, and selling another item way underpriced, so most likely won't go through, and will need to file a claim, but if it does work, it could be worth it, assuming you have the time and patience to file if and when it doesn't work out. ;D