* * * * - 28 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#30031 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20986 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:46 AM

I was just about to post about the Nelke Switch price drop to $19.99 at Best Buy.

Also, Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition had a price drop this morning to $19.99 (PS4) and $29.99 (Switch) respectively.  I'm pretty sure the $19.99 price is a new lowest price at BB for the game.

I just regret picking up Vesperia during the last Pro Day sale at GS.

Could've saved $4 more with GCU. :*(

Aw well.

#30032 Vigilante   Let the Battles Begin CAGiversary!   37335 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:48 PM

Just an FYI, WO4 Ultimate is releasing next year, so this may become obsolete sooner rather than later.

#30033 NeoMonk  

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:51 PM

:switch:  Nelke & The Legendary Alchemists $19.99 Amazon - BestBuy

:switch:  Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle & The Millionaires Conspiracy $32.88 Amazon

:switch:  Katamari Damaci REROLL $19.99 Amazon

:ps4:  :switch:  :xb1:  Bloodstained Ritual of the Night $17 Gamestop

:ps4:  Tales of Vesperia $19.99 Amazon - BestBuy

#30034 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4909 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:17 PM

tales of berseria ps4 is also 19.99 on amazon https://www.amazon.c...coding=UTF8&me=

.hack g.u. last recode is 16.99 https://www.amazon.c...8&condition=all

exist archive the other side of the sky is 10.99 for ps4 https://www.amazon.c...8&condition=all I somewhat rec this title for that price just know that the beginning section is the hardest and it is primarily a metroidvania with turn based combat during battle and 2d platforming outside of it.

Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree’s Woe and the Blight Below ps4 is 12.78 https://www.amazon.c...g=UTF8&me=&th=1

DQ11 ps4 21.82 https://www.amazon.c...coding=UTF8&me= Note that this is the eu version.

DQ11 switch $49 eu version https://www.amazon.c...8&condition=new

Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception 19.99 ps4 https://www.amazon.c...8&condition=all  Or as we all lovingly know it as underwater ray romano

Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth - PlayStation 4 18.98 https://www.amazon.c...8&condition=all

Tokyo Xanadu ex+ is on sale again on fanatical for 8.99 Not a terrible deal though I recall it having been cheaper.

Sword art online fatal bullet ps4 19.43 https://www.amazon.c...8&condition=all

#30035 hohle  

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:38 AM

:ps4:  Tales of Vesperia $19.99 Amazon - BestBuy

Does the PS4 version offer any benefit over the Switch version?

#30036 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4999 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:53 AM

Does the PS4 version offer any benefit over the Switch version?

You get a higher resolution (1080p) but it doesn't have Pro support for some reason. I've heard rumblings that it has HDR (which would be amazing for that game's art style), but I haven't tried mine out yet to confirm. More importantly, though, the entire game runs at 60 FPS, whereas the Switch only runs battles at 60; that's a much larger difference.

#30037 biledriver   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1007 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

biledriver

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:18 AM

Nelke is "the bad one" though isn't it? Some sort of town sim rather than the typical Atelier game.

#30038 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8708 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:25 PM

Debating if I want to pick up Tales of Vesperia for Xbox or wait for the eventual Steam sale or possible Humble Monthly pickup.

Decisions...

#30039 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4999 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

Nelke is "the bad one" though isn't it? Some sort of town sim rather than the typical Atelier game.

It's a spin off game that is full of fan service for prior Atelier games. I haven't started mine yet (story of my life) but based on all of the reviews I've watched, I think I'm really going to like it a lot. It seems that most of the people that consider it bad are mad that a spin off game from a franchise that already gets too many damn releases isn't exactly like all of the other damn releases. :booty:

#30040 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4909 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:07 PM

Debating if I want to pick up Tales of Vesperia for Xbox or wait for the eventual Steam sale or possible Humble Monthly pickup.

Decisions...

Well the console versions have a large amount of free dlc while the pc version on steam seems to only have 2 free dlc packs.  So I would into what the steam version has.  As if it doesn't have all the stuff the console versions do then it's a no brainer.

#30041 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4633 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:12 PM

It's a spin off game that is full of fan service for prior Atelier games. I haven't started mine yet (story of my life) but based on all of the reviews I've watched, I think I'm really going to like it a lot. It seems that most of the people that consider it bad are mad that a spin off game from a franchise that already gets too many damn releases isn't exactly like all of the other damn releases. :booty:

I’d say it’s probably a bit more that the Atelier team is pumping out so many games these days that adding spinoffs in genres they don’t even specialize in is just going to make the quality of all their games suffer; but I don’t play Atelier games, so that’s just speculation on my part.

#30042 dsman3717   Saber is Life CAGiversary!   719 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

dsman3717

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:31 PM

So I just finished AI: The Somnium Files last night and it was DAMN amazing (IMO, of course).

Here are some things I really liked about it: (no actual spoilers, I just used the tag since it's a huge text wall)
Spoiler

Now I can go back to playing Ryza.

#30043 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4633 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:09 PM

I don’t understand why I have to delete like 20GB of games from my hard drive so that my PS4 can download a half gigabyte update for Monster Hunter.

#30044 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   3011 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:24 AM

I don’t understand why I have to delete like 20GB of games from my hard drive so that my PS4 can download a half gigabyte update for Monster Hunter.

I run into the same type of problem with my 'old and busted' android phone. That ish pisses me off. I'm sure it has something to do with duplicate files and being able to have space to apply the patch before deleting the old file, blah, blah, blah, but it still just doesnt sit well with me. 

#30045 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20986 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:19 PM

A few decent Pro Day Switch items,

Crystal Crisis Launch Edition $19.99/$17.99

Umihara Kawase Fresh! $19.99/$17.99

My Hero One's Justice $19.99/$17.99

None of these are listed as on sale at BB or Target for BF, fyi for those who are trying to decide.

#30046 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20986 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:38 PM

Also, update on Nelke Switch at BB.

It's sold out as of today. :*(

#30047 G_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2373 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:39 PM

doesn't gamestop usually put everything from the pro sale on sale to the general public the next day?

#30048 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1932 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:12 AM

I like the Overawatch updates.   Keep em up. 

I hate Overwatch, take them down!

#30049 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   859 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:53 AM

Umihara actually has a cover variant. My LE copy had a blank inner case while the Gamestop preorder had a map.

Also I'm pretty sure the rubber strap from the LE is haunted and I should burn it.

https://twitter.com/...366555010342913

#30050 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3633 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:12 PM

I hate Overwatch, take them down!

I'm indifferent toward Overwatch, do whatever.

Any of you guys see the new Sonic the Hedgehog movie design? I think it's my favorite Sonic design of all time.

Spoiler

I'd be totally down with him looking like this in future games. Blue arms and all.

#30051 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20986 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:40 PM

Umihara actually has a cover variant. My LE copy had a blank inner case while the Gamestop preorder had a map.

Also I'm pretty sure the rubber strap from the LE is haunted and I should burn it.

Or it could be a guiding spirit, and wants you to wear it to bring you good luck.

You don't know that!

#30052 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20986 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:29 PM

Another update at BB, Warriors Orochi 4 Switch is now oos as well.

#30053 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4633 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:46 PM

I'm indifferent toward Overwatch, do whatever.

Any of you guys see the new Sonic the Hedgehog movie design? I think it's my favorite Sonic design of all time.

Spoiler

I'd be totally down with him looking like this in future games. Blue arms and all.

It’s better than the old one, but it’s still unsettling. What’s with his giant quill-things being covered in fur, themselves?

#30054 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1968 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:58 PM

Just noticed that  :switch:  Our World is Ended Day 1 Edition has a $8 coupon on amz putting it below $30.  Anyone recommend this VN?
https://smile.amazon...BT/ref=trdhz_ya

#30055 nagpo  

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:54 AM

Does the best buy black friday ad refer to store or the online store?

#30056 nagpo  

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:15 AM

Also, for those that bought the play asia dragon quest 1,2,3 switch multi language game and are STILL waiting, it should be arriving soon. At least I know that in reference to the north  American continent. I got mine yesterday and I saw some youtubers  that made videos of their copies that are in canada.

On the release itself:

The games are for sure on the cartridge. I put it in my switch and immediately it was ready to play - no download at all. The interesting bit is that since it contains three games, each game has its own icon on the menu. Which is strange because if you got the Mana collection, which are both by SE, it just has one icon and you then click into the game where it has an in game menu that allows you to pick which one you want to play. I'd never seen this before lol.

Also, the games start up with the language of your switch from what I assume. When I started DQ 1 just to take a look, it never asked what language I wanted to play in, it simply started in english. I think it reads your system before starting. Which is also different than the Mana release because it allows you to pick the language before you start.

Everything else about the games you can find in reviews on youtube, like how good the ports themselves are. So I wont go into too much detail on that. These are just some unique oddities that I noticed. Also, the box art is all in what I believe to be mandarin? Even the spine is - so when you put it on your shelf it doesn't say "Dragon Quest" in english. The inside of the box contains solely the cartridge, no manual and no reversible cover, also unlike the mana collection release.

I guess my verdict is to only buy this if you desperately want the games physically and in english no matter what.

#30057 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19988 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2019 - 02:15 AM

Does the best buy black friday ad refer to store or the online store?

both, but some things could sell out quickly online.

#30058 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4909 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:45 AM

Sounds like a job for the oven.  If you don't have a bonfire pit.

#30059 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4633 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:23 AM

Did anyone else have a ridiculous time against Maeda Toshiie in the Nioh 2 demo? I beat Kamaitachi on my first try (admittedly, I was probably overleveled), and beat Yatsu-no-Kami before he could even summon the dark realm on my seventh or eight try, and that was without even changing equipment since beating Kamaitachi.

But Maeda is like smashing my face against a wall. He practically doesn’t flinch, he’s got ridiculous health, his stamina recovers too fast, his reach at least matches any weapon you can use, he regularly attacks from both right and left so you can’t reliably flank him, and he attacks like a blender. It seriously doesn’t help that the field is full of those little stone pillars that makes it almost impossible to avoid him while your own stamina’s recovering. Even with the life leech talisman, I can’t recover health half as fast as he can take it off.

Am I missing some trick, or is the only way through this fight just to increase toughness and health to ridiculous heights so you can tank everything? Because I’ve been building for ninjutsu and onmyo, so if so, I’m just straight up Fuck ed.

#30060 jedex   Elite Chemist CAGiversary!   910 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:33 PM

Did anyone else have a ridiculous time against Maeda Toshiie in the Nioh 2 demo? I beat Kamaitachi on my first try (admittedly, I was probably overleveled), and beat Yatsu-no-Kami before he could even summon the dark realm on my seventh or eight try, and that was without even changing equipment since beating Kamaitachi.

But Maeda is like smashing my face against a wall. He practically doesn’t flinch, he’s got ridiculous health, his stamina recovers too fast, his reach at least matches any weapon you can use, he regularly attacks from both right and left so you can’t reliably flank him, and he attacks like a blender. It seriously doesn’t help that the field is full of those little stone pillars that makes it almost impossible to avoid him while your own stamina’s recovering. Even with the life leech talisman, I can’t recover health half as fast as he can take it off.

Am I missing some trick, or is the only way through this fight just to increase toughness and health to ridiculous heights so you can tank everything? Because I’ve been building for ninjutsu and onmyo, so if so, I’m just straight up Fuck ed.

Uhhhh get good

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk