* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#31141 sjc1279   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   283 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:08 AM

Does that happen with other order?  Might be your card

I was paying with reward certificate and gift card.  

#31142 Nocturnx99   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   745 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Nocturnx99

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:30 AM

Picked up Dragon Star Varnir at a best buy while camping up in NH today. 22.99 I said screw it I'll get it. I know sony made them censor the game, but at the same time I want the dev to keep making games

#31143 Dark_Sage   Superior CAGiversary!   3577 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:04 AM

Picked up Dragon Star Varnir at a best buy while camping up in NH today. 22.99 I said screw it I'll get it. I know sony made them censor the game, but at the same time I want the dev to keep making games

Do you not own a PC? Should we start a gofundme?

#31144 Nocturnx99   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   745 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Nocturnx99

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:02 AM

Do you not own a PC? Should we start a gofundme?

Havent bothered with a PC game in like 8 years. I used to PC game but for some reason I never finish games on there

#31145 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3298 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

Havent bothered with a PC game in like 8 years. I used to PC game but for some reason I never finish games on there

Pretty much the same here.

The reason I don't play PC games is I sit at a pc most of the day at work, the last thing I want to do when I get home is sit at another PC and mess around with it to get games running optimally.

Plus, go price a current or even 1 year old video card.  It doesn't make any financial sense to me either.   Maybe when I retire and no longer sit at a desk I'll be more interested in PC gaming.

#31146 Spring Roll  

Spring Roll

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:03 PM

I go where the games are, when PC had AAA exclusives back in the day I gamed on PC more. Nowadays that just doesn't happen, heck even most MMOs are on consoles now too! 

#31147 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2789 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:13 PM

It's just a matter of preference.  For me, vastly superior framerates, resolution, load times, and customization options far outweigh any comfort benefits of a console.  Though there are some exceptions, such as VN's, which have minimal performance difference are now difficult for me to play anywhere except handheld.

#31148 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10114 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:23 PM

I like VNs on the PC myself not only for the 18+ content that is never on consoles, but I speed read a lot of it and I find that way easier to control on PCs. I'll still play some on console, but prefer PC. Some games like FPS I just control better with a mouse and keyboard. Also would not want to play some games like a Baldur's Gate on console since the games used the mouse a lot, though I'm sure they work OK. Darkest Dungeon on the Switch was somewhat annoying for me to play too, so I likely will just finish that on PC. Some like Slay the Spire work well enough for me and I like it on the Switch. I barely upgraded my PC to really good status within the past year, but I too enjoy the decent frame rates, though I got used to many a AAA game on consoles, since my PC couldn't handle them. I also like playing niche games on consoles since usually the PC ports can be buggy (sometimes)  and can come months after release. So in other words I like both though the exclusives on consoles are usually cooler now IMHO. Usually PC exclusives are indies, which is cool, but I do like my AAA games now and then as well.

#31149 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2789 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:28 PM

Sometimes I randomly come across a pretty cool looking game. Metal Unit

in the current Humble Choice, Humble Bundle’s monthly bundle.

Thanks to both.  Based on these posts I grabbed a $1 key from the pc key trade thread here on cag.

#31150 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5569 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:18 AM

So anyone else get a bunch of delayed emails from amazon for their preordered games?  I got one for paper mario and one for arise. Arise wasn't coming out this year anyway so it's not surprising they didn't even put in a place holder date for when that will ship.  But paper mario they won't get out to me till the 28th-31st. 

#31151 scaryice   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   201 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:09 PM

I find that odd. I own some of the dlc on my (digital) japanese version of Future Tone, and play it just fine on my US account. I'll try to look into it

I figured out my problem. This is kind of embarrassing, but... So, I always play on extreme difficulty. I loaded the game, and I see 238 songs available. I then started the game up on my JP account, and it has 248 songs. Obviously, that means something's wrong. So here I am deleting the game and reinstalling it, redownloading updates, checking forums... It turns out that I just forgot to check the other difficulties, since you have to beat a song on hard first to unlock it on extreme.

To make matters worse, I knew that already, because I was playing the dlc songs on my JP account on hard the other day to unlock extreme. I just didn't think until last night to check that on my US save. It's like one of those puzzles where you come up with some needlessly complicated solution and lose sight of how simple it really is.

#31152 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21186 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:20 AM

Hey all, heads up for Kancolle fans, or just anybody interested in a cute chibi figure for an amazing price.

I just got mine, and it's adorable, but most importantly, it's only $8, and Prime eligible. I can confirm that this is also authentic, so for those wondering if this price is too good to be true, it's not.

Here are some pics of what I just received,
ffFxspIl.jpg
CLmVFctl.jpg
pwYWFTsl.jpg
FsVlYS1l.jpg

Here's the link,

link here

Hope this will be of interest to some of you who are Kancolle fans, and want a cute mini figure for an fantastic price.

#31153 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10114 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:51 AM

That's cute. I recognized the style too since I have a Ranko Kanzaki one. Not mini, but there is a mini version as well.

#31154 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21186 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:53 AM

Yeah, now that I have it in hand, it really is damn cute, and I'm afraid now I need more Medicchus too, lol.

But really, this one for the price is rather a no brainer for me.

#31155 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21186 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:03 AM

FYi, only 3 left, as there was 11 when I posted earlier.

If anybody still interested, I'd recommend pulling the trigger sooner rather than later.

#31156 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1965 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:12 AM

So anyone else get a bunch of delayed emails from amazon for their preordered games?  I got one for paper mario and one for arise. Arise wasn't coming out this year anyway so it's not surprising they didn't even put in a place holder date for when that will ship.  But paper mario they won't get out to me till the 28th-31st. 

When sakura wars came out, amazon took 2 whole weeks to ship me the game. After that I decided to put my preorders in at walmart. Walmart is still doing release day shipping through covid.

#31157 ar4757   Makoto x Joker is canon CAGiversary!   968 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:00 AM

I figured out my problem. This is kind of embarrassing, but... So, I always play on extreme difficulty. I loaded the game, and I see 238 songs available. I then started the game up on my JP account, and it has 248 songs. Obviously, that means something's wrong. So here I am deleting the game and reinstalling it, redownloading updates, checking forums... It turns out that I just forgot to check the other difficulties, since you have to beat a song on hard first to unlock it on extreme.

To make matters worse, I knew that already, because I was playing the dlc songs on my JP account on hard the other day to unlock extreme. I just didn't think until last night to check that on my US save. It's like one of those puzzles where you come up with some needlessly complicated solution and lose sight of how simple it really is.

LOL that's funny. Glad you got it working!

#31158 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10114 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:34 AM

Mangagamer had 2 announcements recently. NSFW vndb link.

Jeanne at the Clock Tower from Liarsoft

Steam Prison Fin Route DLC

Honestly not sure i'd get either.

Also Mangagamer just released Nyan Café Macchiato ~Sexy Times at the Cat Café~ . Their next game is Room no 9 coming out August 6th. BL games need to be extremely special for me to play them, so that's an easy pass.

Denpasoft had announcements from Kurocon 2020. Link for blog (NSFW)

Harumade KururuLove's Sweet Garnish 2The Ditzy Demons Are in Love With Me - Fan Disk, and Island Diary are set for 2020 releases. Island Diary in particular is set for Winter 2020. Nekopara 4 is currently being aimed at for a November 2020 release.

Hoshizora no Memoria HD/Hoshizora no Memoria Eternal Heart HD are coming. It's a free update for owners of Hoshizora no Memoria. I wonder how that retranslation is going? Wont play the game till that's out.

Denpasoft new announcements:

9-nine-: Episode 4

KARAKARA3

Slobbish Dragon Princess

Shohei's Adult Streaming Channel

I need to read the 9-nine series, but they look good. I also need to play KARAKARA series. Slobbish Dragon Princess is from the NEKO-NIN exHeart series (which I bought in the recent Steam sale), so yet another series to play. These are okay though nothing too crazy announcements. 9-nine episode 4 is likely a must buy.

#31159 super1upqueen  

super1upqueen

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:14 PM

Finally finally FINALLY Sakuna: of Rice and Ruin is releasing this year! Unless it gets delayed, again.

https://www.silicone...arrive-in-2020/

Base game will be $39.99, while the Divine Edition will be $59.99. Available through Xseed's store and "select retailers."

Side note: I asked Xseed over a month ago if Kandagawa Jet Girls would be available at Best Buy, and after a week of not hearing back, they said yes. However, it still hasn't appeared on BB's website and Xseed's recent tweet about it only listed their store, Amazon, and Gamestop. So, I wouldn't get your hopes up for Sakuna being at Best Buy, either. There must be some issues between them or something.

#31160 Pets0undz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   93 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Pets0undz

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:35 PM

Pretty much the same here.

The reason I don't play PC games is I sit at a pc most of the day at work, the last thing I want to do when I get home is sit at another PC and mess around with it to get games running optimally.

Plus, go price a current or even 1 year old video card.  It doesn't make any financial sense to me either.   Maybe when I retire and no longer sit at a desk I'll be more interested in PC gaming.

So much this.  I came here on the Atari 2600, so PS4 graphics do nicely.  And, I just played Arc the Lad (PS1) from my backlog. So I have enough for the rest of this lifetime.

#31161 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1965 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:48 AM

Voidu has Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch Remastered(Steam key) on sale for 72% off making it $13.79.

Quite a steep discount compared to previous sales. I haven't purchased from Voidu before but I've seen it around on some deal sites.

Just ordered and got a working key right away. Used paypal just in case.

#31162 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21186 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

Saturday boredom fun with nendos. :D

#31163 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5569 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:15 AM

My haul from the gamestop 50% off sale

Pokemon sun 7.49

Pokemon moon 7.49

Code vein 8.99

kh 1.5 2.5 remix 7.49

nsmb2 3ds 9.99

#31164 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5115 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:38 AM

I have $10 in Amazon credit expiring after tomorrow, anyone have any recommendation on currently running Amazon deals on good Japanese games? I’m drawing a total blank on what I might actually want right now. Caveat: has to be shipped and sold by Amazon, so older obscure games (which is mostly what I’ve been thinking of, naturally) are probably out.

Can’t be digital or a gift card, either, unfortunately.

#31165 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5569 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:27 AM

Monster hunter ps4 is 14.99 I think.  Indivisible ps4 is 19.99, dq 11 ps4 is 19.99.  One of those might be worth picking up.  Though personally I would say if you can't think of anything to buy right now then to use it for a preorder.

#31166 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2789 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:07 PM

I have $10 in Amazon credit expiring after tomorrow, anyone have any recommendation on currently running Amazon deals on good Japanese games? 

Nioh 2 SE has dropped again recently to $43.

#31167 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2789 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:50 PM

My haul from the gamestop 50% off sale

I was planning on skipping this one but noticed several used titles that weren't instock last time during the similar <29.99 sale. Ordered:
$9 :ps4: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered
$9 :ps4: Tetris Effect
$9 :xb1: Code Vein
$9 :switch: Katamari Damacy Reroll
$6.50 :switch: Travis Strikes Again - No More Heroes

#31168 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5115 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:01 PM

Nothing's catching my attention that I don't already own, and as for pre-orders I honestly don't even know what's upcoming offhand, but please keep the suggestions coming if you can, they're helpful. It's really astonishing how few things I need or want on Amazon are actually sold by Amazon themselves.

That said, I might be leaning into the Art of Mana book at $25.75 right now. I know this isn't the artbook thread, but does anyone have any familiarity with Dark Horse's artbook quality?

#31169 elessar123  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:27 PM

That said, I might be leaning into the Art of Mana book at $25.75 right now. I know this isn't the artbook thread, but does anyone have any familiarity with Dark Horse's artbook quality?

The quality is good, but my preorder copy was $25.67.

Preorder EDF5? Robotic;notes?

Atelier Ryza? Dragon Quest Builder 2?

#31170 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   348 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:17 PM

Wasn't sure whether to post in the LRG thread or here, but has anyone heard anything recently about the Switch release of the "House of Fata Morgana?" I swear it was announced by the publisher a while back but I have not heard anything since. I assume the current state of affairs has delayed the process but just wanted to be certain that it was not cancelled altogether.