* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#31291 super1upqueen  

super1upqueen

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:31 PM

It's because this remake whatever is based off the jpn version after the original license expired that had raidou instead of dante iirc reading. 

Moreover, they're most likely charging for Dante to make up for the licensing fee they need to once again pay to Capcom to put Dante back in the game, since the license expired years ago.

#31292 elessar123  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:37 PM

Its weird that they're making him DLC when he was in the original game

It's weird that people are so up in arms about this.

In the original version, Dante wasn't in it. In the second version (what the US got), Dante was in it as a guest character. In the third version, Dante was replaced by another SMT character (Raidou).

But people treat the Dante version as definitive?

#31293 IceyD  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:35 AM

the grand magic games segment fell pretty flat for me. just seemed like they were cheaply trying recreate a TV show structure which really doesn't work in this game...

also i thought this shit was hilarious they give you a diagram to explain the time travel elements

fairy-tail-time-travel-diagram.jpg

#31294 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5125 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:27 AM

It's weird that people are so up in arms about this.

In the original version, Dante wasn't in it. In the second version (what the US got), Dante was in it as a guest character. In the third version, Dante was replaced by another SMT character (Raidou).

But people treat the Dante version as definitive?

It’s because DMC fanboys want to hop on Dante’s dick however they can get it.

#31295 super1upqueen  

super1upqueen

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:44 AM

It’s because DMC fanboys want to hop on Dante’s dick however they can get it.

Don't even get them started on how Dante is a shoo-in for Smash Ultimate and it's only a matter of time until he's announced.

#31296 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21186 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:51 PM

Collection update, mainly just new figures, and a new display shelf as a result of all the new figures.

#31297 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1225 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:03 PM

Collection update, mainly just new figures, and a new display shelf as a result of all the new figures.

tumblr_muhiceDM6D1qzd219o1_500.gif

So neat and tidy!

#31298 IceyD  

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:37 AM

So I discovered you can skip all battle animations in Fairy Tail and so now I can't help but do that.

Fast forward is the death of turn based.

#31299 IceyD  

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:42 AM

in loving memory of the last cool ability animation i sawnakagami-starlight-ezra-fairy-tail.gif

#31300 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1225 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:45 PM

in loving memory of the last cool ability animation i sawnakagami-starlight-ezra-fairy-tail.gif

I remember the OG Hyperdimension Neptunia PS3 game was particularly bad about this, in that skipping animations actually could be used to help you do more damage.

Once you break an enemy's guard there is a set amount of time that lasts, and it doesn't pause its countdown for attack animations.. So spamming attacks and skipping animations was your best option.

#31301 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13180 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2020 - 05:49 PM

A lot of clearance Best Buy niche games had price drops last night.  A lot of NISA, Aksys and PM Studios games among others.  Too many to list right now and I don't have the time, just go to the site and search by console, then Clearance under Deals.  Some of them had small drops some had bigger ones.

#31302 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1225 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:16 PM

Here's a link to PS4 Clearance: https://www.bestbuy....Deals~Clearance

Switch Clearance: https://www.bestbuy....Deals~Clearance

#31303 Green Card200   The Time Mage CAGiversary!   2454 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Green Card200

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:54 PM

Jake Hunter 3DS - $10.99

#31304 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1336 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:58 AM

ffffuuuuuuuu- I wish I had seen this sooner.

In case anyone is just seeing the above posts now, like I am, don't even bother checking the switch selection. Anything halfway decent for sub $21 have already been cleared out by the vultures.

You may get lucky with some PS4 titles, however.

#31305 super1upqueen  

super1upqueen

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:59 AM

In case anyone is just seeing the above posts now, like I am, don't even bother checking the switch selection. Anything halfway decent for sub $21 have already been cleared out by the vultures.

How can you say that? They still have Troll and I.

#31306 iamsmart2  

iamsmart2

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:25 PM

Imported and just beat City Shrouded in Shadow. It's the second time I've imported a game, and a long time between imports - last one was Jump Super Stars a good fifteen years ago.

I don't know how the other Disaster Report games hold up, but this game has some serious technical and gameplay issues for something that generally acts like a last-gen game. I did appreciate that it was easy enough for a non-Japanese speaking person to play through without needing any hand-holding; I guess the point is of the game is generally just to enjoy the Kaiju cameos. How the hell did the protagonist end up in a rowboat in the middle of the ocean!?

#31307 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21186 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2020 - 12:23 AM

Neat figure. :D

#31308 IceyD  

Posted 16 August 2020 - 02:17 AM

aight i just finished the main story of Fairy Tail in 15 hours. with how low budget and rushed the story was, and the game length, it makes the DLC that much more absurd lol.

anyway some Kagura:

kagura-fairy-tail-game.gif

#31309 Backlog Hog  

Backlog Hog

Posted 16 August 2020 - 03:13 AM

Here's a link to PS4 Clearance: https://www.bestbuy....Deals~Clearance

Switch Clearance: https://www.bestbuy....Deals~Clearance

Thanks for this link.

Ended up grabbing the following games 20% off w/ GCU & an additional 5% back by paying with my Discover card through PayPal.

Onimusha XB1

Just Cause 4 Day One Edition XB1

The Walking Dead: The Telltale Definitive Series XB1

Scribblenauts: Showdown PS4

Scribblenauts: Mega Pack PS4

Mars Odyssey PSVR

Not too shabby, pretty good prices.

4 games were available for pick up & 2 of the games I had to go w/ free shipping option since no copies were available in my area.

#31310 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5574 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 16 August 2020 - 06:37 AM

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=5781530 4.99

was the only thing I picked up.

#31311 dragonx   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   54 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2020 - 01:31 PM

Lost Ruins Kickstarter (ongoing with initial funding goal met)

Really cool retro inspired game that draws from Castlevania, Shantae, Bloodstained CotM and even Higurashi When They Cry.

Will be released on PC (including DRM-free option), Switch, PS4 and Xbox.

Mac and Linux platforms added in the latest update.  The update also explains the modes unlocked by stretch goals so far including Witch Mode.

8562cdc31f640e4f684fae28d1814559_origina

#31312 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5574 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 17 August 2020 - 04:18 AM

Playing Ys 8 and I happened to catch an error.  Quina during the last S link rank is mistakenly called Kuina.  That's pretty sad it slipped past them after fixing the translation.

#31313 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5125 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 August 2020 - 04:47 AM

I haven't felt so bad for Quina since

#31314 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5574 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 17 August 2020 - 05:03 AM

what about Quina's wedding?

#31315 super1upqueen  

super1upqueen

Posted 17 August 2020 - 08:46 AM

what about Quina's wedding?

It's ok, s/he was so happy.

#31316 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5574 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:48 PM

It's ok, s/he was so happy.

But then vivi got a divorce and then had a crap load of mini vivis with someone else didn't they?

#31317 super1upqueen  

super1upqueen

Posted 17 August 2020 - 07:23 PM

But then vivi got a divorce and then had a crap load of mini vivis with someone else didn't they?

I heard that Vivi at least paid Quina a generous alimony of frogs for the rest of his life, so I don't think Quina was too torn up about it.

#31318 elessar123  

Posted 17 August 2020 - 07:31 PM

aight i just finished the main story of Fairy Tail in 15 hours. with how low budget and rushed the story was, and the game length, it makes the DLC that much more absurd lol.

anyway some Kagura:

Took me about 45 hours for the platinum, and I didn't turn off animations until maybe 20 hours in (turned them back on for new characters).

I will say, there's a lot of content. There's about 180 "skits" between the playable characters, out of a possible ~400. I'm sure these skits took a huge, huge chunk of time. There's definitely some fun ones that were semi-canon, like

Spoiler

There's some odd skit omissions though. It's understandable if they skip like Ichiya with Sheria, but having no skits between Sting and Rogue was really odd.

Final attack skill were gated behind max rank, which you can't do unless you do S quests.

Played on hard, and nothing was remotely hard until S quests. If you 'retire' characters back to level 1 and level them back up a couple times, they end up at 999 all stats and mow through even the 100 year quests.

This would get too wordy, so final thoughts: They were => <= this close to having made a good game. It's still probably the best anime game out there, and I get the sense that they ran out of time more than anything nefarious. The DLCs though, f those.

#31319 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5574 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 17 August 2020 - 10:46 PM

Took me about 45 hours for the platinum, and I didn't turn off animations until maybe 20 hours in (turned them back on for new characters).

I will say, there's a lot of content. There's about 180 "skits" between the playable characters, out of a possible ~400. I'm sure these skits took a huge, huge chunk of time. There's definitely some fun ones that were semi-canon, like

Spoiler

There's some odd skit omissions though. It's understandable if they skip like Ichiya with Sheria, but having no skits between Sting and Rogue was really odd.

Final attack skill were gated behind max rank, which you can't do unless you do S quests.

Played on hard, and nothing was remotely hard until S quests. If you 'retire' characters back to level 1 and level them back up a couple times, they end up at 999 all stats and mow through even the 100 year quests.

This would get too wordy, so final thoughts: They were => <= this close to having made a good game. It's still probably the best anime game out there, and I get the sense that they ran out of time more than anything nefarious. The DLCs though, f those.

Given that they had to scrap the original combat and go turn based that likely ate up a good portion of time and budget.

#31320 IceyD  

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:16 AM

Yeah I'm sure I left a lot undone. I just didn't feel all that compelled and wasn't too impressed with the skits, but then again I never saw the show so maybe there's little value in it for me. 

I'm gonna try Atelier Ryza next and see if I can get a proper Gust fix in.