* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#31831 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3377 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:21 PM

Actually, the censorship comes from the Japanese CEO. Sony of America moved to California in 2016, yet the censorship didn't start until 2018, which was coincidentally when CEO Kenichiro Yoshida took the helm. It also affects only Japanese games, which he has the most control over. Despite California being a convenient scapegoat, it's not at all the reason behind it.

I've heard the same. Too bad people are making false assumptions about all this being the work of Sony Cali. Sony Japan is trying to impose Ex-Nintendo P.C. rules on its own regional titles, which is bizarre given Nintendo has pretty much lifted all restrictions. My hope is Sony Japan will return to normal policies to ensure PS5 sales don't suffer.

#31832 IceyD  

Posted 05 November 2020 - 04:39 PM

Your JRPG releases for November 2020:

- Bakugan: Champions of Vestroia (Switch)
- Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (PS4, PC, Switch)
- Demon's Souls (PS5)
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4, PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series)

#31833 super1upqueen   Shinobi Student CAGiversary!   289 Posts   Joined 1.3 Years Ago  

super1upqueen

Posted 05 November 2020 - 05:39 PM

- Bakugan: Champions of Vestroia (Switch)
- Demon's Souls (PS5)
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4, PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series)

I can't believe Sakuna is finally coming out. Got my collector's edition pre-ordered!

Not niche Japanese, but I finally started Hades last night and it's SO GOOD. It doesn't matter if you don't like rougelikes/lites, if you dig action games or dungeon crawlers (a la Diablo), you'll love it. Combat-wise, it's what that disaster Oninaki could have been. I wanted to like that game, and I want to like Tokyo RPG factory (I actually really enjoyed Setsuna), but good god Oninaki was such a snooze-fest.

#31834 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10710 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2020 - 05:44 PM

I recommend Hades too beating it to the ending at least on PC. Sakuna and Yakuza are high wants and I paid them both off months ago (yes I pay off pre-orders way in advance at BB). I will likely play them later December though with most of my time likely going to Demon's Souls and CoD Cold War with friends in November. Been wanting Yakuza for a while though, so am excited for that and it will very likely be my next RPG.

#31835 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2020 - 06:59 PM

Going to get Yakuza Like A Dragon after it goes on sale... probably for $30 or $40.  I won't bother playing it for ages... so... I just want to eventually secure a copy for the collection.   Plus I'm not exactly sold on the changes to the series.

#31836 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1465 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2020 - 07:16 PM

I can't believe Sakuna is finally coming out. Got my collector's edition pre-ordered!

Not niche Japanese, but I finally started Hades last night and it's SO GOOD. It doesn't matter if you don't like rougelikes/lites, if you dig action games or dungeon crawlers (a la Diablo), you'll love it. Combat-wise, it's what that disaster Oninaki could have been. I wanted to like that game, and I want to like Tokyo RPG factory (I actually really enjoyed Setsuna), but good god Oninaki was such a snooze-fest.

What the shit, I can't believe I Sakuna was not on my radar at all until today. Honestly thought it was another harvest moon type based on the title, which I like, but there's so many of them already that I didn't bother to look into it.

Will wait for best buy to put the divine edition back up for order, but pre-ordered the standard for now.

#31837 super1upqueen   Shinobi Student CAGiversary!   289 Posts   Joined 1.3 Years Ago  

super1upqueen

Posted 05 November 2020 - 10:51 PM

What the shit, I can't believe I Sakuna was not on my radar at all until today. Honestly thought it was another harvest moon type based on the title, which I like, but there's so many of them already that I didn't bother to look into it.

Will wait for best buy to put the divine edition back up for order, but pre-ordered the standard for now.

XSEED's website still has the Divine Edition in stock for both Switch and PS4. Shipping is free and should arrive on release day, and their packaging is top-notch.

https://store.xseedg...-rice-and-ruin/

#31838 nagpo  

Posted 06 November 2020 - 01:29 AM

Waiting for the reviews on this one but ill probably get it. it looks great

#31839 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   20363 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2020 - 01:52 AM

So I ended getting Kandagawa Jet Girls.  I hope that's not a mistake.

#31840 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3377 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 06 November 2020 - 01:56 AM

So I ended getting Kandagawa Jet Girls. I hope that's not a mistake.

I'll get this, but when it goes down near $20. Not sure this one was quite done before it came out of the oven.

#31841 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1465 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2020 - 03:53 AM

XSEED's website still has the Divine Edition in stock for both Switch and PS4. Shipping is free and should arrive on release day, and their packaging is top-notch.

https://store.xseedg...-rice-and-ruin/

Yeah, I saw that, but I have reward certs at BBY so I'd rather get it there, but it's definitely my backup plan to get it from XSeed store. Thanks!

#31842 Nocturnx99   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   814 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Nocturnx99

Posted 06 November 2020 - 01:30 PM

So I ended getting Kandagawa Jet Girls. I hope that's not a mistake.

I got it, so far its ok. It reminds me of WaveRace with combat tossed in. Has the Serrano Kagura feel too. I got it for $25 on Amazon with that 10 off 20 promo.
Did a little unboxing of the Racing Hearts edition
https://youtu.be/YB4sibeGS-A

#31843 dragonx   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   77 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2020 - 03:27 PM

Trials of Mana PS4 $24.99 at Amazon.

#31844 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2020 - 05:04 PM

Trials of Mana PS4 $24.99 at Amazon.

Reminder, it'll be $20 at BB for BF.  Supposedly both PS4 and Switch.

#31845 denpanosekai  

denpanosekai

Posted 06 November 2020 - 10:00 PM

Reminder, it'll be $20 at BB for BF.  Supposedly both PS4 and Switch.

hope in canada too. well, 25$ I guess.

#31846 Nocturnx99   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   814 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Nocturnx99

Posted 07 November 2020 - 11:55 AM

Anyone interested i did a Prinny 1+2 unboxing video. Pretty nice little CE for the price 

#31847 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10710 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:05 PM

Doing a quick write up of recently release of VNs and Eroges.

First Nekonyan released Aokana - EXTRA1, which is kind of like a fan disc to Aokana. This one's main character is Mashiro, but the others are involved in the story. There is a supposedly buggy Steam 18+ patch so if you're playing now and want the adult content maybe go Mangagamer or JAST USA. 10% discount for the release week. Easy buy.

Steam

18+ Patch (NSFW)

JAST USA (NSFW)

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Their next game will be Riddle Joker releasing on December 18th, 2020. I've been waiting for this for a long time and I can't wait to play it.

Some news about older recent releases:

Iwaihime was released. This was done by the people who did Higurashi games. A horror game which I did buy.

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

JAST USA released SaDistic BlooD. This has Yuri vampires and a lot of brutal violence. Not my type of game.

JAST USA (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

They are finally releasing Majikoi as well this Winter. Note that this release only has the family voiced so that stinks for sure. It's been forever and I'll see it when it comes. I'll probably still support them, but yeah this has been in release limbo forever. Now is where is my Sumaga?

JAST USA (NSFW)

Curse of the Kudan released on JAST USA and Mangagamer. This one is another horror game. It mentions a Kudan who is a lady spirit. Could be cool. No 18+ content.

JAST USA (NSFW)

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Mangagamer released Rance 01+02 recently. Been a long time coming too. Easy purchase.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

VNDB Rance 01 (NSFW)

VNDB Rance 02 (NSFW)

They also had some new announcements. 

Funbag Fantasy 3if (NSFW)

How to Live a Healthy Hentai Lifestyle! (NSFW)

Wanting Wings: Her and Her Romance (NSFW), VNDB 2 (NSFW)

Wanting Wings Mangagamer (NSFW)

Funbag Fantasy 3if is kind of a new take on the series. It takes place in an alternate ancient Rome with new characters. These are always top quality nukige with great stories and excellent art and pretty good characters. I recommend all of these, but go in order since characters reappear in sequels (not in this one I believe). Easy buy on release.

How to Live a Healthy Hentai Lifestyle! is from Clock Up, which are known for very explicit eroges. I've only played Euphoria, and I'd only recommend it to those with stronger stomachs. This one has a character Gotou Hajime, whom has enrolled in Penile University, majoring in perversion, in order to study and deepen his understanding of the art, and eventually carry out research on the subject. Due to Hajime’s chosen field of study, he has registered to live with the Maezono family – a family whose mother is the legendary pervert that prevented World War 3 with her sexual diplomacy! Sounds like a pretty wild nukige that I'm sure has some interesting comedy. Easy buy on release.

Wanting Wings: Her and Her Romance is available for purchase and comes out November 20th, 2020. It is from Baseon and has three girl roommates and they all saw an angel when they were younger and they suspect one of the other roommates might be that angel. It looks like a cute Yuri game that is comprised of two Yuri games (prequel and sequel). These are the type of Yuri games I usually play and the art looks really cute. Easy buy on purchase and you get I believe 10% off for pre-ordering on Mangagamer. 

#31848 jimmywolf   wolf CAGiversary!   495 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:20 PM

always appreciate  your open PoV  review on hentai VN and games, I don't play them often but it nice to read any worth my time.

#31849 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6578 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 08 November 2020 - 02:40 AM

Playing underwater ray romano mask of truth.  I wonder if the perspective is gonna switch back and forth between oshtor* and kuon.

Spoiler
  I have to say its nice that it had carryover from the last game mask of deception. Sucks that Kuons level is reset to 6. I had her around level 30 I think in the last game.

Jeezy peats this game is depressing so far.  incurable disease, fated to die, blind and not knowing they lost a loved one, one characters an orphan and can't speak.  Another character deels responsible for their siblings death.

#31850 Dead_Batteries   Voltaic Pile CAGiversary!   1148 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Dead_Batteries

Posted 09 November 2020 - 04:10 PM

13 Sentinels will be $30 on BF at Gamestop.
Glad I waited.

#31851 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3377 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 09 November 2020 - 04:13 PM

13 Sentinels will be $30 on BF at Gamestop.
Glad I waited.

Yeah, that does entice me. Is this game actually good? I've heard it's basically a visual novel with a little tactical gameplay.

#31852 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1051 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 09 November 2020 - 05:26 PM

Yeah, that does entice me. Is this game actually good? I've heard it's basically a visual novel with a little tactical gameplay.

I enjoyed 13 sentinels, but unlike most games I had trouble playing it for long stretches, I took breaks frequently.

There’s a lot of visual novel segments to read through, and there’s barely even an illusion of player choice. I think I would have preferred them just presenting it like Odin Sphere as a story, rather then making me run around and use keywords, when I have absolutely no influence on the story, every character’s story is strictly linear.

I would say the action is more like a tower defense game, but you have a lot more control over your towers. It was fine for what it was, but not interesting enough for me to grind the infinite dungeon. I played on Normal difficulty, but didn’t take any upgrades to my mechs until I had cleared all the levels once. Well, I did buy the score and points multipliers ASAP from points earned in story mode to reduce end game grinding.

I have a ps4 slim and the game did experience slowdowns when the number of enemies got too large in some battles, but it never actually crashed.

#31853 elessar123  

Posted 09 November 2020 - 07:06 PM

Finished 13 Sentinels.

Story would have been really good if a couple of popular things didn't exist.

The art is really good, and I kinda want a poster of it more than anything.

The artbook leaves a lot to be desired. It's basically just character art.

Downside is all the names. There's like 50 names to keep track of, in a 30-40 hour game. As someone who's bad with names to begin with, it was really difficult for like the first half.

Overall, I guess 8/10. For someone who probably haven't played a specific game nor watched a specific movie, it'd probably be higher. The battle part of the game is ok. Gets pretty repetitive. They probably could have left it out and made it just a visual novel and it wouldn't detract from it. Or let you just skip it.

#31854 JohnnySako   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   610 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

JohnnySako

Posted 09 November 2020 - 07:11 PM

Play-Asia has free Economy shipping site-wide 11/9-11/16. Picked up Dead or School, Katana Kami, and Onechanbara Origins - all for PS4. GEMATSU also worked for 5% off.

#31855 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   20363 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2020 - 07:58 PM

Sadly no free shipping for play asia exculsive

#31856 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5122 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:22 PM

I went through and canceled / re-ordered like 5 different orders for free shipping lol. It's not a massive savings, but I'll take it. 

#31857 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   20363 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:39 PM

I went through and canceled / re-ordered like 5 different orders for free shipping lol. It's not a massive savings, but I'll take it. 

What did you get?

#31858 shosaisyu   Waster of Monies CAGiversary!   274 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

shosaisyu

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:55 PM

Play-Asia has free Economy shipping site-wide 11/9-11/16. Picked up Dead or School, Katana Kami, and Onechanbara Origins - all for PS4. GEMATSU also worked for 5% off.

Thanks for the heads up! Didn't even know Oneechanbara Origins actually got an English Asia physical!

Free shipping and 5% off too! 

#31859 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5122 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:58 PM

What did you get?

There are some pretty cool multi language Japanese / Asian releases coming up, so I got some of those locked in. Shiren The Wanderer (Switch port), Forward To The Sky, FF IX Switch, Wing Of Darkness, and I finally grabbed Caladrius on Switch because why not have it on a 4th platform lol.

#31860 superxgaga   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   367 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

superxgaga

Posted 10 November 2020 - 05:25 AM

Legit one of the best game I played this year, story is intriguing, the combat is fun, and ost is terrific, also the jp voice had an all star cast which is a plus for me.