* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#32791 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2998 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 29 March 2021 - 11:48 PM

Anyone playing Monster Hunter Rise?

#32792 Johnny365   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   704 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:18 AM

Nope

#32793 kmitchell28   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   194 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

kmitchell28

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:32 AM

Anyone playing Monster Hunter Rise?

I would be if my copy would arrive. My steelbook showed up today so I guess that’s a win. I can look at an empty case and daydream of playing it.

#32794 elessar123  

Posted 30 March 2021 - 01:13 AM

Like everyone in my friends list but me.

#32795 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   826 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 30 March 2021 - 03:12 AM

Playing Rise, kinda funny how awhile back we were talking about how characters in the series never have names and now in Rise they've decided to give I think every single NPC in the game a name. What makes it even funnier to me is that this game is very much in the vein of Generations where there is almost no story whatsoever, so a very weird time to give everyone a name. There is like a cutscene or two each time you move up a quest tier but otherwise you're just chaining hunts back to back.

I completely finished every village quest in around 10 hours which is pretty dang fast compared to any of the other games. That is just low rank questing mind you, so it's not like I am done with the game or anything. But I wasn't expecting that since the trailers made it seem like the story would be told in a similar way as it was in World.

#32796 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2021 - 04:16 AM

I don’t have a Switch, so...

Honestly, even if I did I’d probably wait on the G version. I couldn’t wait on World because finally MonHun on a console more powerful than a modern toaster, but now that I’ve had that, I can wait it out.

#32797 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1008 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2021 - 05:21 AM

The Atelier Ryza preorder bonuses are being re-listed as a celebration for 1 million sales.

https://www.gamecity...a2/million.html

The Summer Adventure and Divermento's Embrace costume (That unlocks a brief moment between Ryza and Klaudia) are coming to all platforms.

The Puni Shirt (a Japanese exclusive costume) is listed as PS4/Switch only in Japan

Another DLC for Ryza 2 will be announced in a live stream on the 31st in Japan (8:30 AM March 31st Eastern)

#32798 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3219 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2021 - 10:09 PM

^ There's also 15-20% discounts on Atelier games on the Humble store right now.  Considering buying Ryza 2 Ultimate for $70.39 since I'm guessing the season pass will never be a reasonable price.

#32799 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1008 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:21 AM

Looks like the Ryza sale is also going to hit Playstation. The Japanese focused stream is 12 hours from now.

#32800 Photophonic  

Photophonic

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:51 AM

It would appear Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists is the only game from the newer PS4 games that I am missing. Not really sure if that is a good or bad thing. Don't every hear anything about it and it never seems to go on sale. 

#32801 Miker525  

Posted 31 March 2021 - 04:14 AM

Has anyone heard any updates from PA on UnMetal (Vita). I thought I remembered it saying originally that it would be releasing in March but maybe I'm mistaken

#32802 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:32 AM

Has anyone heard any updates from PA on UnMetal (Vita). I thought I remembered it saying originally that it would be releasing in March but maybe I'm mistaken

Why would the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania be issuing updates about a Vita game?

#32803 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1008 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:51 AM

It would appear Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists is the only game from the newer PS4 games that I am missing. Not really sure if that is a good or bad thing. Don't every hear anything about it and it never seems to go on sale. 

It's a town building game with the alchemists from all games through Lydie & Suelle showing up. There's a secondary goal of reaching some magic tree, but the exploration is only done one day a week which is also the only time to talk to the alchemists.

#32804 elessar123  

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:01 AM

Only one I don't have is Lulua, cause it just disappeared.

#32805 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6328 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:19 PM

https://www.fanatica...ga-comic-bundle

any thoughts on some of those?  The witch and the hunt both sound interesting. 

#32806 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10560 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:17 PM

Honestly the only one I'm familiar with is Gourmet Glutton. I think I read like 3 volumes back in the day. It was pretty good and that is most of the value in the bundle. Honestly Bikings looks like a rip off of Yowamushi Pedal, but I might get this bundle. I like to support these manga bundles although this one looks a little mixed. Honestly I can read manga very quickly so I don't see a reason why I wouldn't want to read these. I would at least read the Gourmet Glutton, Jose Rizal and A Long Stay. Honestly some of these very short 50-60 page manga can have a very lasting effect. I've read a bunch of shorts and like short stories such as from Shintaro Kago, Junji Ito, etc... Gives a lot of fun. I'm not much of a shounen reader so I can't recommend those, but I do read a bunch of shojou, horror and sc-fi.

#32807 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6328 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 03 April 2021 - 03:36 AM

Ys 9 ce for switch is now out of stock on nisa's website for those who were on the fence. 

#32808 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1115 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:21 AM

Sold my copy of Blue Reflection for over $200.  Not sure if I want to buy the digital for $30 during this sale or not.  Do the KT digital games ever go for more than 50% off?

#32809 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1008 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:14 AM

Sold my copy of Blue Reflection for over $200.  Not sure if I want to buy the digital for $30 during this sale or not.  Do the KT digital games ever go for more than 50% off?

The lowest Mysterious got was $23.99 per title and now they're re-releasing them for $40 each. Eventually in physical stores they hit $20 before normalizing to $30 pre-pandemic.

On a more serious note: The Atelier Mysterious games now have a notification on Steam and PSN that they will be delisted on the 22nd (eastern US) 

#32810 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   37999 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:32 AM

The lowest Mysterious got was $23.99 per title and now they're re-releasing them for $40 each. Eventually in physical stores they hit $20 before normalizing to $30 pre-pandemic.

On a more serious note: The Atelier Mysterious games now have a notification on Steam and PSN that they will be delisted on the 22nd (eastern US) 

It appears that's because the DX versions release that day, so they're being replaced:

https://store.playst...YSTERIOUSDX0000

#32811 Johnny365   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   704 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:32 AM

No idea what Mysterious is referring to?

#32812 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   37999 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:35 AM

No idea what Mysterious is referring to?

Atelier Mysterious Trilogy

Atelier Sophie

Atelier Firis

Atelier Lydie & Suelle

#32813 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1008 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:42 PM

Gust started re-releasing their PS3 Atelier trilogies as "Plus" versions on Vita with enhanced contents, then released them again on Switch, PC,  and PS4 as "DX" versions. This is the first time the system getting an enhanced re-release had the original available.

If you haven't played the games before the DX version is going to be the better deal, however if you have a Vita copy and want to cross save to a PS4/PS5 you need the original version.

#32814 Johnny365   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   704 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2021 - 07:27 PM

Void TRRLM()://Void Terrarium Limited Edition (Switch / BRAND NEW)

$57.36 Sold/Shipped by Walmart

https://www.walmart....35367/276304563

#32815 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10560 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:56 AM

Ob baby! Recently a bunch of VN licensors announced new titles on April 1st for some reason. I love VNs and PC ones especially, so let me go through the news.

Mangagamer announced Horny Elves and a Morale Orc from Waffle. These are the company that makes Funbag Fantasy games AKA some of my favorite nukige games ever. Their stories are pretty good (other than 1 of them), and this game sounds ridiculous. An orc is saved by a goddess, but she declares that he must not lay with any elves. Of course there are 2 horny elves out to get him, so hilarity ensues I'm guessing. This is based on a hentai manga. This is easily a must buy.

Mangagamer Blog (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

JAST USA is releasing shota VN Tomgirls of the Mountains: Josou Sanmyaku on 04-09-2021. A guy has bad experiences with women, so he heads somewhere with none. Well he gets some shotas instead! No way in heck I'm getting this, but good if you're into this.

VNDB (NSFW)

NekoNyanSoft announced 5 new titles! This is my birthday wish for sure. I'll go ahead and make a quick paragraph for each of them though one of them is a former Sol Press licensed title (yes!). First is Cafe Stella and the Reapers' Butterflies from Yuzusoft. Their fun Riddle Joker was released last year. Our main character dies tragically in an accident. He opens his eyes and notices he woke up to the same day that he died. He is reliving the situation leading up to it. He sees a death goddess and her cat, and she works with him to get through this situation by opening up a café. Easy purchase on release.

NekoNyanSoft Site (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Next is Sugar * Style from SMEE. The company also did the fun Making * Lovers. The main character gets in major debt after his parents leave him with it and run away in the night. He is looking to change his life, so he enrolls in a specialty school and goes to stay in the Hidamari Dorm. This dorm ends up being a woman's dorm, and they're not happy to see a male staying with them. Hilarity ensues. Easy purchase. I love this companies' games. Fureraba is still my favorite of theirs. Also this game is releasing this month 04-30-2021!

NekoNyanSoft Site (NSFW)

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

Next is Koikari: Love for Hire from ASa Project. Our main character has a unique view point where he believes money will make his little sister happy. He works a part time job and plans to work after graduating. His sister knows about this and says, "I wont go to college because my big brother isn't going." He can't put that burden on her, so he must make money quickly. He signs up for a questionable website for human employment rental. Soon he finds himself being a pretend boyfriend for a classmate, a pretend lover and even a brother to a set of twins. Hilarity ensues I'm sure. Sounds entertaining as heck. I haven't played a game from this company, but count me in as purchasing this.

NekoNyanSoft Site (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Next is the one I mentioned was saved The Future Radio and the Artificial Pigeons from Laplacian. This one has the protagonist redeveloping a radio and he starts broadcasting to the artificial pigeons that consume electromagnetic waves. With this radio he hears a broadcast saying, "You will die in three weeks." He uneasily goes into the terminal for the first time in 15 years, as he has bad memories from it. A girl says ,"You won't die, because I have decided so. This is because I want you to look into the sky and smile." I like the art style and am very glad this is getting released. Easy purchase.

NekoNyanSoft Site (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Their last announcement is Aoi Tori from Purple Software. The company also made the quite good Hapymaher and the okay Chrono Clock. This one takes place in an all-girl Christian boarding school. No men are allowed though the main protagonist is attending the school and acting as priest. He has the power to escalate people, and this is increased if the activity is sexual in nature. He supposedly borders on insanity and doesn't leave the academy ever. This may change though, as he meets a vampire at the end of her 100 year journey. I don't know what to think of this one. I will get it since I liked the last game I played from them.

NekoNyanSoft Site (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Sekai Project/Denpasoft announced that they are going to be the ones to officially release feng's visual novels westward. The company went bankrupt sadly, but they got the assets. This includes anime adapted Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka and Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi. This announcement also has the fan disk for Hoshizora, all 3 Seiiki games, Yume to Iro de DekiteiruZutto Mae Kara Joshi Deshita, and Chiisana Kanojo no Serenade. I'm linking the noisy pixel bog with all descriptions. All are easy buys. For fun I'll do a quick description for each one. The anime adaptations were average, and I watched them ages ago. VNDB links for every game NSFW.

Noisy Pixel Blog

Akanerio ni Somaru Saka - Guy ends up finding out his fiancée is at his school. They butt heads from the beginning, and their parents say they should go on a few dates. If it doesn't end up working out they can call the engagement off. Will their school life return to normal?

Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi - Our main character goes to stay in an inn and one day falls and kisses a girl. Another girl sees this and declares him the enemy!

Seikii games - Main guy gets a girl in the first two, and the third one has 2 ladies for the price of one. A budget game series.

Yume to Iro de Dekiteiru - The main protagonist and friend have a club that disbands because one girl changes schools, and they lose touch with each other. The girl comes back from said school, and a new club is formed with the same members. They seek to help people with romance issues. They don't have a clue about romance, so they feel they should fall in love themselves.

Zutto Mae Kara Joshi Deshita - Our main character grew up around pushy women. He is not comfortable around ladies, and has only attended all boys schools. He comes back home and joins a co-ed school. He meets a girl who he hung out with when small. He exclaims, "Eh, you weren't a boy!" She lacks confidence, and he now finds her quite beautiful. This is their story.

Chiisana Kanojo no Serenade - Our main protagonist works in a mermaid café. During a mermaid festival he hears a beautiful voice, and sees a girl. She has an accident falling into the ocean. Her clothes are soaked, and he can't have that, so he invites her to the café to dry off. His mother decides to let her stay with them after she visits. He also has a girl he met at the festival transfer into his school, and now his life will never be the same again.

So many announcements around my b-day, so this a gift to me for sure. I will buy them all and I can't wait to read them all other than the shota one.

#32816 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:11 AM

Ob baby! Recently a bunch of VN licensors announced new titles on April 1st for some reason.

I don’t know for sure, but it may have something to do with April 1st being the start of Japan’s fiscal year.

#32817 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10560 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:23 AM

That is true, but usually the licensors save all these for the anime convention season. I guess with the pandemic, it is different this year.

#32818 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:29 PM

I hope Iffy has/announces a Neptunia Re;Verse LE soon. I've skipped a lot of their LE's for a while but an LE for the first game/PS5 would be neat to have.

#32819 Midori Monkey  

Midori Monkey

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:28 AM

I hope Iffy has/announces a Neptunia Re;Verse LE soon. I've skipped a lot of their LE's for a while but an LE for the first game/PS5 would be neat to have.

I thought they would have announced it by now :( I ended up preordering a standard edition, but I'm hoping they make a LE still.

#32820 shosaisyu   Waster of Monies CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

shosaisyu

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:58 AM

Idea Factory LEs are the worst lately. I hate it when CEs don't ship with the game and the CE stuff in the same box. It's like you get the game + a grab bag full of crappy trinkets. I've stopped buying beacause of this.