* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#32821 Tothoro  

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:06 AM

Idea Factory LEs are the worst lately. I hate it when CEs don't ship with the game and the CE stuff in the same box. It's like you get the game + a grab bag full of crappy trinkets. I've stopped buying beacause of this.

Don't forget the G1 steelbooks, too. No clue why they still use those.

#32822 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6323 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:43 PM

Does mp cost -10% stack on accessories and or equipment in atelier rorona plus? 

#32823 super1upqueen   Shinobi Student CAGiversary!   234 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

super1upqueen

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:54 PM

If there's a CE for that upcoming Neptunia/Senran crossover, I'll buy that like the sucker I am (just look at my profile pic).

Got my Switch Trails of Cold Steel IV CE on Monday, 4 days before launch. NISA seems to always get me my CEs from them super-early. So, I can't wait to play it once I've gotten through the Crossbell games and the previous 3 Cold Steel games.

...so like, in 2025, I guess.

#32824 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:03 PM

Idea Factory LEs are the worst lately. I hate it when CEs don't ship with the game and the CE stuff in the same box. It's like you get the game + a grab bag full of crappy trinkets. I've stopped buying beacause of this.

It's the same stuff either way, so personally that doesn't bother me. If you can just buy the game standalone for any CE your options are always "game" or "game plus crappy trinkets".

I like that they sell the leftovers separately sometimes for a reduced price. Sometimes you can get just the extras if you already bought the game during one of their sales for a good price.

Regarding the Steelbook sizing, Steelbook is used as a general term amongst people kind of like Band-Aid is to bandages but Steelbook is actually a trademark/a company. I suspect that by doing a different size they're avoiding having to involve and pay fees to Steelbook? I don't know if Steelbook has any claim to the size via a patent or whatever, as silly as that sounds (though there are Switch size actual Steelbooks too like the No More Heroes ones). All I can see is that they're avoiding making them actual Steelbook®'s for some reason. You may notice they themselves don't call them steelbooks. It's just 'Steel Game Case'.

I get the complaint about uniformity so I'm not dismissing it as invalid, but for myself I don't mind the size. I want a shiny metal box and I get a shiny metal box.

#32825 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1446 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:55 PM

Atelier Ryza PS4 is still available for order as of right now for $40:

https://www.amazon.c...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

#32826 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6323 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:02 PM

It goes in and out of stock seemingly every couple hours now. That just seems silly.

#32827 outlaw1323187  

outlaw1323187

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:34 PM

Switch version is $75 on Amazon right now.

#32828 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1113 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:41 AM

Is the content of Attack on Titan covered in Final Battle 2 or is it unique?  Either way, I'm probably going to sell my sealed copy of the first game (PS4).

#32829 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:33 AM

Is the content of Attack on Titan covered in Final Battle 2 or is it unique?  Either way, I'm probably going to sell my sealed copy of the first game (PS4).

I don't own it myself so wait for others to chime in, but I was browsing the listing on the Xbox sale and wondering the same:

"[Warning]

This version of "Attack on Titan 2" contains the content from "Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle Upgrade Pack". If you already have the original "Attack on Titan 2", please purchase the "Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle Upgrade Pack" content instead."

As long you don't buy the one labeled as an upgrade pack for AoT 2, then it sounds like it includes the content for AoT 2.
Unless AoT 2 already included AoT 1 then I'm doubtful it includes content from "the first game". Unless you happened to mean "AoT 2" by "the first game" :D

#32830 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1113 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:01 AM

I have a copy of the first game (Attack on Titan) which says it covers season 1.  The AoT2 Final Battle description says it covers seasons 1 through 3 so it’s a bit confusing.  I’ll just wait for the Final Final Battle that covers all of the seasons!

#32831 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10559 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:33 PM

Mangagamer recently released MUSICUS! There is a 10% discount on release for just the first week. This is also one of the few games they got to release on Steam. Note that it's considered an 18+ title. Looks fun.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Steam (NSFW)

Their next game to release is Funbag Fantasy 3F. It releases 05-06-2021. This looks like a standalone game, so you can play it without the others. I like these games, so I hope this is a good one. Discount for pre-ordering on Mangagamer and will be on Steam too on release, which I'm sure will have a release week discount as well.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Steam (NSFW)

#32832 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   826 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:41 AM

I have a copy of the first game (Attack on Titan) which says it covers season 1.  The AoT2 Final Battle description says it covers seasons 1 through 3 so it’s a bit confusing.  I’ll just wait for the Final Final Battle that covers all of the seasons!

The first season is covered in both games. In the first game you play as a set character each mission, generally the one who is most important to what is happening in the story at the time. In the second game you play through it as your own OC instead.

Furthermore, in the first game you simply go from mission to mission but in the second game there is a whole persona-esque life sim between each mission where you can explore town and work on social links with almost any named character from the first few seasons.

The only reason to play the first game is if you want to play through the story as the actual characters from the anime. It adds a bit more gameplay variety since each character plays differently: like Armin is a crap fighter but he massively buffs the NPCs in your squad, Eren can use his titan form, and Levi is stupidly OP. But the second game has so many combat improvements and new mechanics I think it more then makes up for that.

#32833 Josef   Raising Acts! CAGiversary!   13432 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:19 PM

Target has a new 10% off Circle offer going on right now on most video games.  I noticed Saviors of Sapphire Wings & Stranger of Sword City (Switch) is eligible, but Trails of Cold Steel IV (Switch) is not. 

#32834 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24076 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:11 PM

Atelier Ryza PS4 is still available for order as of right now for $40:

https://www.amazon.c...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

I was finally able to snag a copy but my shipping date is June... yikes. 

Also, didn't realize Shantae Half-Genie Ultimate reprint would be sold elsewhere... thought it was LRG only. Would have rather not given them my money for something I could have bought elsewhere. 

#32835 Josef   Raising Acts! CAGiversary!   13432 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:58 AM

I was finally able to snag a copy but my shipping date is June... yikes. 

Also, didn't realize Shantae Half-Genie Ultimate reprint would be sold elsewhere... thought it was LRG only. Would have rather not given them my money for something I could have bought elsewhere. 

Yeah, XSEED's own site had it for sale, along with Amazon (where I ordered a copy).  I'm with you, I hate ordering from LRG when there are other options since LRG is one of the few websites that doesn't have a free shipping threshold.

#32836 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:50 AM

Yeah that one was just a distribution deal for LRG.

I think that more or less only their numbered series are exclusives, so you could check to see if it has a LRG #xyz next time you're considering something

#32837 Lithium Flower   Just about to bloom CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 3.0 Years Ago  

Lithium Flower

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:16 AM

Anyone playing Monster Hunter Rise?

A bit late to reply, but I did finally finish off the last of my unfinished hub missions after ~60 hours playing on and off since launch (solo). I love the feel of the game...the combat, traversal, the areas, and how many monsters the game throws at you in the opening hours...but then it's just over 30-40 hours later. Wha? A patch is coming later this month that adds more monsters along with a proper ending but I just couldn't believe it ended so unceremoniously after World and Iceborne. It doesn't help that the game doesn't have Investigations or Events, either. It feels weird to complain after the game has already given me so much playtime but I can't help but be a bit disappointed, looking back.

#32838 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   826 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:37 PM

A patch is coming later this month that adds more monsters along with a proper ending but I just couldn't believe it ended so unceremoniously after World and Iceborne.

This can't be stressed enough lol. I think this is the first time I've ever played a non-early access game where it literally just doesn't have an ending. Seen some talk online that they had to make some cuts or they would have had to delay the game and I completely believe it. Only saving grace is that Capcom is very good about supporting MH long term so we know the content will be there eventually.

But yeah, you beat the final boss and there is a cutscene about how she isn't really the final boss and.... That's it. No new missions to pick up, the weapon tree still has a column in it that's just a question mark, and there isn't even a second set of credits like usual.

Also not really much of an endgame right now other then grinding talismans. Granted World didn't launch with a very good endgame either but investigations helped add variety to the decoration grind. Rise doesn't even have that which makes it feel stale a bit faster. I'm already at the point where I am starting to just mess around with other weapons since my main set is complete other than a talisman with godly stat rolls on it.

#32839 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24076 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:29 PM

Yeah that one was just a distribution deal for LRG.

I think that more or less only their numbered series are exclusives, so you could check to see if it has a LRG #xyz next time you're considering something

It honestly just sounds like any other LRG distributed release... only noting it's not part of the LRG's numbered release. It just came off as something like the Gris variant cover where LRG was selling a specific variant of the game; in this case a non-collectors edition reprint. But reality seems like this game was just reprinted by Xseed since it's available at multiple retailers and the whole "pre-order only" thing was just BS. 

I've been out of it for a long while now so I could very well be wrong and the word of the NS Half-Genie reprint might have been well known.. but even then, I just find that product page kinda misleading. 

#32840 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   20334 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:01 AM

English versions of Ninja Gaiden Master Collection are available to pre-order. I wonder what the chances are of it getting a NA release. This might be the best bet.

No NA physical release.  However I am afraid of possible censorship in the Asian version

#32841 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1008 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:43 AM

No NA physical release.  However I am afraid of possible censorship in the Asian version

From what I saw, there's a Japanese Cero D version for the download service but also the Z rated ones that require ID.

#32842 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8839 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:19 PM

Nabbed Ryza for $40 this morning on Amazon. I decided I'm just going for the full mainline Atelier set from the PS3 up (one version of each game anyway). With Ryza bought, just need Shallie, Sophie, Luluia and Ryza 2 to complete that.

#32843 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1025 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:23 PM

I found Robtics:Note for switch at my Best Buy on clearance for 17. They also had the PS4 day 1 version (pins) for 36, but I went with the switch copy.

#32844 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3305 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 16 April 2021 - 01:39 AM

Is that confirmed? I recall hearing releases with artbooks, though those could be digital.

I'd consider importing but first need to know all the games and the DLC are on the disc.

#32845 krzysio87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   153 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2021 - 03:00 AM

Is that confirmed? I recall hearing releases with artbooks, though those could be digital.

I'd consider importing but first need to know all the games and the DLC are on the disc.

Play-asia's site mentions all three games on one cart, but no specifics on the DLC for both JP and ASN. 

Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection includes:

- NINJA GAIDEN Sigma (NINJA GAIDEN Σ)
- NINJA GAIDEN Sigma 2 (NINJA GAIDEN Σ2)
- NINJA GAIDEN 3: Razor's Edge
- Classic Costumes
- DLC Costumes

*While supplies last.

Note: Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection comes with 3 games in 1 cartridge.

#32846 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3305 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 16 April 2021 - 03:33 AM

Play-asia's site mentions all three games on one cart, but no specifics on the DLC for both JP and ASN.

I would get it for PS4. As for Switch, I'm skeptical they could fit all three on a cartridge. Capcom didn't bother to do that with Revelations because it didn't want to pay more for a larger cartridge. I'd be surprised if Tecmo would handle it any differently.

I like PlayAsia, but I don't trust their preorder descriptions. They get things wrong.

#32847 krzysio87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   153 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:12 AM

I would get it for PS4. As for Switch, I'm skeptical they could fit all three on a cartridge. Capcom didn't bother to do that with Revelations because it didn't want to pay more for a larger cartridge. I'd be surprised if Tecmo would handle it any differently.

I like PlayAsia, but I don't trust their preorder descriptions. They get things wrong.

That's a good point, I went ahead and checked the website and amazon.jp for any mention of the how the physical was packaged and came up short.

On the other hand, I don't know if both RE:R games would have fit on one cart, esp. when the game came out; Nintendo's website lists them as around 36GB together.

#32848 Pikagreg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1799 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 April 2021 - 05:53 PM

Not sure anyone cares but VideoGames 911 on Amazon has the ESRB PS4 version of Disaster Report 4 for $58+$5 shipping which is near msrp. The game has been hovering the $95-$130 area for awile and PS5 does fix the performance issues from the PS4/Switch versions. I was a bit skeptical at first but I got my copy in on Friday and it was legit. I was also pretty happy to find out I claimed the Epilogue DLC back when it was free on release. 

https://www.amazon.c...4/dp/B07TQ9V2KV

#32849 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10559 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 April 2021 - 06:48 PM

Good to know about the PS5 helping. It does help with some games for sure even if it's not an official PS5 enhancement. I noticed Judgement playing better, but I was using a launch PS4, so it may have had Pro enhancements already. I got DR4 digitally though, so I'll have to try it out.

#32850 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3305 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:46 PM

That's a good point, I went ahead and checked the website and amazon.jp for any mention of the how the physical was packaged and came up short.
On the other hand, I don't know if both RE:R games would have fit on one cart, esp. when the game came out; Nintendo's website lists them as around 36GB together.

I'm just going to wait until the game is out so we can know for sure what is and is not on the disc.