* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#32941 masksacrafice  

masksacrafice

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:59 AM

Have any of you guys seen the prices on eBay for those old Atlus PSP releases? P1, 2, and P3P are fetching like $200 each. Had no idea the demand was this high for these releases. 

Probably happened when P5 became big. Saw the P4 Golden vita price and instantly knew it was all gonna go to hell.

#32942 GeeWiz   Cheaper than Cheap! CAGiversary!   2356 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:30 AM

Have any of you guys seen the prices on eBay for those old Atlus PSP releases? P1, 2, and P3P are fetching like $200 each. Had no idea the demand was this high for these releases.

I regret not buying them each for $140 when I had the chance from my local game shop. Card declined but I had funds I could've used but didn't realize I could. Still kicking myself over it today

#32943 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6322 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:37 AM

According to price tracker one sold for 494.99 O_o Very tempted to sell. But it is one of my favorite titles. 

#32944 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3886 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:59 AM

According to price tracker one sold for 494.99 O_o Very tempted to sell. But it is one of my favorite titles. 

A P3P just sold for $200 that was just the UMD lol

#32945 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8839 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:44 AM

Gamestop has the PS4 version for $39.99 as a DotD: https://www.gamestop...l?condition=New

Thanks for that. Had Amazon delivering Ryza 2 next Tues but canceled it and bought Ryza 2 and 13 Sentinels with credit I had from GS,

#32946 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3305 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:28 PM

Seems like all sorts of game prices have gone a bit insane. Dreamcast games like Project Justice are now fetching $400+, and that's for used, open copies. Yikes.

I remember seeing stacks of those games at Best Buy and TRU for $10 when the Dreamcast was abandoned by gamers and Sega announced it was going 3rd party. Crazy.

#32947 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8839 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:59 PM

Dear lord. I remember going into GS and picking up P2 and P3P for $20 a pop. P2 is complete too with the mini soundtrack. About 6-7 years ago I bought a bunch of games like that for $20 when GS was getting rid of them essentially. Guess the P2 and 3 worked out.

#32948 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2945 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 28 April 2021 - 04:33 PM

This is fairly typical for the used game market. Awareness and exposure help to drive demand. A series that was of only middling note back in the day will get fewer copies. But if later on, that same series manages to hit it big with some popular later entries, demand for the older titles will drastically increase.

There's no real way to anticipate this, sequels are not guaranteed, nor are their quality or popularity. You can't really know for sure which titles are going to blow up in that fashion.

#32949 RubMySweatyThighsPls  

RubMySweatyThighsPls

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:04 PM

Dear lord. I remember going into GS and picking up P2 and P3P for $20 a pop. P2 is complete too with the mini soundtrack. About 6-7 years ago I bought a bunch of games like that for $20 when GS was getting rid of them essentially. Guess the P2 and 3 worked out.

I regret never picking up P2 or Fate Extra for the PSP remember seeing them in GS back then 

#32950 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:08 PM

Out of curiosity, what are the best Musou games from the last couple generations? By which I mean 7th and 8th, since I don’t think there are any 9th gen exclusive titles yet. Including the licensed titles, but without taking fanservice into account overly much.

#32951 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   20334 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:19 PM

Out of curiosity, what are the best Musou games from the last couple generations? By which I mean 7th and 8th, since I don’t think there are any 9th gen exclusive titles yet. Including the licensed titles, but without taking fanservice into account overly much.

One Piece Pirate Warrior 4 and Hyrule Warriors.  

#32952 JohnnySako   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   605 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

JohnnySako

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:17 PM

Persona 5 Strikers, Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada, and Warriors All Stars.

#32953 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10558 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:48 PM

Hyrule Warriors gets my vote. I am very behind of Musou games though so yeah I haven't played a bunch of them.

#32954 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   826 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:58 PM

P5 Strikers is fantastic but if you want a more traditional musou experience it's not great for that. Very much a Persona game first with lots and lots of dialogue/cutscenes and even when you're exploring dungeons most battles are over in a couple of seconds as long as you ambush the enemy. The big hundred+ enemy fights are only at specific story beats. Kinda the same deal with the Attack on Titan games, the second one is my personal favorite musou but it's not really traditional either as the combat is very different.

#32955 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:15 PM

I hear lots of good things about Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.

Personally I enjoyed Samurai Warriors 4, but I'm not too familiar with the other versions- but I'd probably second the Spirit of Sanada recommendation.

Fire Emblem Warriors was fun, too.

#32956 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3633 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:26 PM

Hands down for me it's Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity.  That game blended musou with Breath of the Wild perfectly.  It felt like a mainline zelda game.   I still need to play the original Hyrule Warriors, but I did buy the Ultimate version so I'm ready when the time comes.

Beyond that I think they are all pretty solid games, just pick one you like the theme on.  I really liked the Dragon Quest Heroes I & II games.  I have both the switch Jp version and the english ps4 versions.  But that's mostly because I love the license so much.  The gameplay is a bit more cut up and require loading mid-level (at least the parts I've played) which makes it feel more like an older gen title where as Age of Calamity had massive areas without any obvious loading to traverse the map.

#32957 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3305 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:44 PM

Warriors Orochi ultimate 3 and 4 are solid entries.  Pretty fun with silly stories.

And if it matters to you, the ultimate versions have all DLC on-disc.

#32958 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3633 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:53 PM

Just checked through Best buy and The Great Ace Attorney preorder is now live (switch):

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6461581

Also live on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.c...h/dp/B09341VH7D

I try to look every week day at BB to see what's new.  I sort everything by release date and trimmed to just physical releases so all the future releases come first.  I'm waiting for the last two shantae lrg games to pop up.  Not 100% sure yet if I'll buy them, but I know that'll be my last chance as the secondary market is crazy.

#32959 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10558 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:36 PM

Just glad Great Ace getting a physical release but I wont buy it even within likely about within a year on release. Too far in my backlog, but I would need to play the originally trilogy first and then likely the 3DS two and then maybe this. Will still get when it goes cheaper though.

#32960 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3886 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 29 April 2021 - 12:44 AM

I missed bitcoin, missed GME, but I won't miss the weeb cash train. 

Spoiler

#32961 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3213 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 12:53 AM

Too far in my backlog, but I would need to play the originally trilogy first and then likely the 3DS two and then maybe this. 

Is it important storywise to have played the original trilogy first?  Haven't played my 3ds trilogy yet either, but for some reason I didn't think they'd be particularly connected.

#32962 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10558 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:59 AM

I don't think so honestly, as these are spinoffs I believe. It's more I should just play what I have first. If I do that hopefully the price will come down a bit, though the price is decent regardless.

#32963 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 03:51 AM

Is it important storywise to have played the original trilogy first? Haven't played my 3ds trilogy yet either, but for some reason I didn't think they'd be particularly connected.

You should probably play at least the first game. I haven’t played the Great AA games yet, but every other AA game I’ve played has had references back to other stuff, and while these take place long before the rest, I get the feeling you’ll still run into things and people that will feel familiar from earlier games in the IP, so you’d get more out of it even if there’s no significant continuity you’d be missing out on (probably).

#32964 dragonx   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   73 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:41 AM

Denpasoft recently released Childhood Friends With Benefits by Orcsoft. Uncensored 18+ Visual Novel for PC.

JAST (NSFW)

Denpasoft (NSFW)

Fakku (NSFW)

#32965 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   826 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 29 April 2021 - 05:36 PM

I just hate that The Great Ace Attorney is coming out on the same day as Neo TWEWY. Both are releases I never thought would exist and I want to support both but I hate buying multiple new games back to back since realistically one of them is not going to get played for a while.

Probably gonna do it anyway in this case though.

#32966 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   20334 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 05:39 PM

I love the original TWEWY but going to be waiting for a Black Friday sale.  GAA is day 1.

#32967 akgamerx  

akgamerx

Posted 29 April 2021 - 05:48 PM

Looks like Unlimited Run Games is releasing a Castlevania trilogy.

#32968 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3633 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:46 PM

Looks like Unlimited Run Games is releasing a Castlevania trilogy.

Yeah, they announced it long ago last year.   Better late than never.

#32969 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6322 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:12 PM

I just hate that The Great Ace Attorney is coming out on the same day as Neo TWEWY. Both are releases I never thought would exist and I want to support both but I hate buying multiple new games back to back since realistically one of them is not going to get played for a while.

Probably gonna do it anyway in this case though.

Probably wouldn't take too long to play through phoenix wright if that is any consolation.

#32970 elessar123  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:31 PM

30 hours a game is not long?