* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#32971 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 09:15 PM

Adorable VN Lilycle Rainbow Stage has hit a new all time low for $9.99.

#32972 caggamer1   Banned Banned   27 Posts   Joined 0.1 Years Ago  

caggamer1

Posted 29 April 2021 - 09:34 PM

I missed bitcoin, missed GME, but I won't miss the weeb cash train.

I would be careful selling those if I were you. I sold my PSP stuff years ago and I really regret it. I think I sold P3 for like $15 because that's all it was worth. Now if I want to rebuy it I'm SOL. Even at those prices I would keep them for the collection, especially in that condition...

#32973 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3213 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:00 PM

Adorable VN Lilycle Rainbow Stage has hit a new all time low for $9.99.

Cuteness aside, story/characters any good in this?  Hadn't heard of it.  Looking at the steam page mainly informed me that the dialogue windows will make my eyes bleed.

Regardless, I appreciate sharing the find.  I gained +1 to apathy earlier today when viewing 50% of my wishilist at "sale" prices I've seen before.

#32974 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:16 PM

Cuteness aside, story/characters any good in this? Hadn't heard of it. Looking at the steam page mainly informed me that the dialogue windows will make my eyes bleed.

Regardless, I appreciate sharing the find. I gained +1 to apathy earlier today when viewing 50% of my wishilist at "sale" prices I've seen before.

I haven’t played it yet myself, but from what I’ve heard about it, it’s pure fluff—good fluff if you like that sort of thing (I do), but there’s nothing at all substantive, just sweet romance VN stuff.

#32975 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6322 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:37 PM

30 hours a game is not long?

Probably less if you know the ins and outs. But yeah I didn't think about the combined time for each one.

#32976 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3213 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:22 PM

Saw a couple current sale prices on the MX eshop worth noting:

$17.93 Rune Factory 4 Special

$27.18 P5 Strikers

#32977 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6322 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 30 April 2021 - 02:18 AM

pq1, devil survivor 1 overclocked and 2 record breaker, and soul hackers  are 9.99 ^  

pq2 is 19.99. 

picked up soul hackers and ds2.  

#32978 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 30 April 2021 - 02:31 AM

pq1, devil survivor 1 overclocked and 2 record breaker, and soul hackers are 9.99 ^
pq2 is 19.99.
picked up soul hackers and ds2.

SMTIV is $9.99, SMTIV Apocalypse is $14.99, SMT Strange Journey Redux is $19.99, and all the Etrian Odyssey 3DS games are on sale, as well, I’m not gonna look them all up.

Since we’re listing Atlus sales.

#32979 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5845 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 30 April 2021 - 02:39 AM

Crossposting from the Nintendo thread:

I haven't seen it mentioned and searched for it, but Culdcept for 3DS is on sale for $4.99. This is a cult hit often described as Magic: The Gathering meets Monopoly. The PS2 and Xbox 360 installments go for around $40 on eBay, so to get the latest installment for a fiver beggars belief. It is quite good if you're into card games - if you want to try out the game, the demo on Xbox 360 is still available.

RPG Maker is also great for $5, but that's not really a game. It is a great value if you want to tinker around with making your own game. The new versions on PC cost $80 when they first release, so if you're willing to devote some hours to making and playing your own game, it feels gratifying when you create your own stuff.

#32980 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10558 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:23 PM

Sugar * Style is now out from NekoNyanSoft. It's on Steam with an 18+ patch, but also on other storefronts like Managagamer and Denpasoft too. 10% discount on release.

Steam

18+ patch (NSFW)

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Denpasoft (NSFW)

#32981 caggamer1   Banned Banned   27 Posts   Joined 0.1 Years Ago  

caggamer1

Posted 01 May 2021 - 12:24 AM

Should we import Ninja Gaiden Collection in June or risk waiting for a physical NTSC release?

#32982 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3213 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 12:30 AM

Should I buy Persona Q2 digitally?  On one hand, I don't think I'm ever going to actually open my PQ2 Premium Edition at this point.  And $20 on sale might be the best it gets before 3ds sales disappear.
Edit:  Guess I should add that I truly love the mainline persona games.

On the other hand, I'm having a hard time getting through PQ right now.  Near the end of the first dungeon.  Getting dragged down by the mandatory map drawing, the encounters, and the lack of music variety.  And I've actually heard from a few people that Q2 is inferior to Q.  That said, this dungeon crawler genre just might not be my cup of tea. I've only played 3-4 total and the only one I remember not feeling like a chore was Dungeon Travelers 2.

#32983 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5845 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 01 May 2021 - 12:47 AM

Don't buy it. It's a waste of money but more importantly, your time. You can't like every game. Playing a well-received game you personally don't enjoy always feels like a chore. I'm sure there are other games you can play that you know you'd enjoy.

#32984 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10558 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 01:20 AM

The older you get the more you realize you shouldn't waste time on stuff you're not enjoying or it feels very average and such. No one has an unlimited time so yeah. I have a massive backlog, but I'm weeding it everyday. I don't add as much anymore.

#32985 IceyD  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:47 PM

May looks like a quiet month for JRPGs outside of SMT3:Nocturne HD Remaster.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Final Fantasy X/X-2 are also coming to Xbox Game Pass.

#32986 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3305 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:11 PM

Should we import Ninja Gaiden Collection in June or risk waiting for a physical NTSC release?

Doesn't look like we're getting a physical NTSC release.

That said, not importing until we know for sure all the games are on the disc/cartridge.  For the Switch, wouldn't be surprised if Tecmo can't fit all the games on a cartridge and makes players download 1 or 2 games (ala Capcom's Resident Evil Revelations).

#32987 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3633 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:17 PM

The older you get the more you realize you shouldn't waste time on stuff you're not enjoying or it feels very average and such. No one has an unlimited time so yeah. I have a massive backlog, but I'm weeding it everyday. I don't add as much anymore.

This 100%.   I'm 47, and I don't like wasting my time on games that just aren't a joy to play.   Most recently that meant abandoning ship on Tales of Vesperia.  I love the visuals, the characters, the story (especially all the side conversations), the voice work, .. and the overall world... but don't like the way you explore the map as it feels super linear and the battle system just isn't something I find fun.  It was my last chance for the Tales series and I realize it's just not for me despite how much it does that I love.

I tend to only buy games when they are new if they are in series I'm a big fan of or I get a chance to play (usually demos) and determine it's worth it.  I'll get the occasional game when it's cheap if it ticks enough boxes.   Still, I'm buying very few games. I bought maybe one game in the last few months and that was a $5 3DS game that I knew I wanted.  June and July though have a few games I will get (Mario golf & Zelda).

#32988 IceyD  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:50 PM

Agreed. Can't understate how much I value a game that just lets you play. 

If I hit those forced walk and talk sequences in AAA games I have an urge to just shut the game off lol.

#32989 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3213 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:57 PM

The localized dialogue in the spinoff persona games I've played is just incredibly boring, unsubstantial filler.  Once the P4 characters arrived, they thankfully at least brought some humor with them.  

#32990 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6322 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:22 PM

This 100%.   I'm 47, and I don't like wasting my time on games that just aren't a joy to play.   Most recently that meant abandoning ship on Tales of Vesperia.  I love the visuals, the characters, the story (especially all the side conversations), the voice work, .. and the overall world... but don't like the way you explore the map as it feels super linear and the battle system just isn't something I find fun.  It was my last chance for the Tales series and I realize it's just not for me despite how much it does that I love.
I tend to only buy games when they are new if they are in series I'm a big fan of or I get a chance to play (usually demos) and determine it's worth it.  I'll get the occasional game when it's cheap if it ticks enough boxes.   Still, I'm buying very few games. I bought maybe one game in the last few months and that was a $5 3DS game that I knew I wanted.  June and July though have a few games I will get (Mario golf & Zelda).

Have you tried the demo for berserias? Can't hurt. I would have suggested doing that with vesperia had I known.

#32991 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9629 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:42 PM

I'm looking forward to Disgaea 6.   That's the most excited I've been for a new JP release in awhile. (not a jrpg, but a JP srpg, technically)  But what are they thinking with the millions upon millions of stats and damage?  Things have gotten out of control.  Nobody likes massive stat inflation so I have no idea why they do this.  Hopefully they improve the hub and make the game more inviting and engaging overall. 

I really want 6 to be good but I'm pretty worried about the results after the lackluster entry of 5.  I don't understand why they think that people want this:

Disgaea-6-stats.jpg

So I'm not too sure about this one...

I have the Switch CE pre-ordered through NISA.  But I wish that it was available on Playstation.  Since that's where I have all of my other physical Disgaea titles. 

#32992 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:16 PM

I agree on valuing your time. You have to be pretty defensive of it. There are so many interesting games and it can feel impulsively satisfying to get more. I have a few primary interests/genres that would easily take up all my free time (Neptunia, rhythm games, a handful of fanservice heavy titles). But if I lose sight of what I actually like playing I start to lose sight and think "Yeah, I like fighting games. Yeah, I like first person dungeon crawlers" but in reality they're just okay and I'd probably choose something else first. Yet, here I am- owning a lot of them.

I'm whittling down my backlog at a pace I consider aggressive from an evaluation standpoint, but pretty relaxed timewise.

Meaning, I'm not trying to rush or sell off everything I have that I don't want to play all at once. However, I am dropping games early and realizing I don't like certain genres as much as I thought I did. I'd really like to spend more time returning to games that are fun even if I've played them a bunch already, and maybe every now and then pick up a new RPG to go through. Having a mountain of them doesn't feel good at all.

I am selling off stuff I try and don't like, but pacing it out. Maybe just list a game or two a week. I know some people don't mind having a ton around, and consider it a 'good problem'. I don't think that's a bad approach, but I don't think it works well for me.

Basically I'm trying to whittle away at the problem, but prevent burnout from tackling any solutions too hard.

I'm also trying to skew maybe just a smidge more toward figures temporarily. They just sit there and look cool, no time investment needed and it's what a lot of my games are doing anyway... That's all it takes to enjoy them and I have some spaces to fill in. Once that spot is full who knows! Hobbies aren't supposed to have stress, what the heck!

#32993 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3213 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:17 PM

But what are they thinking with the millions upon millions of stats and damage?  Things have gotten out of control.  Nobody likes massive stat inflation so I have no idea why they do this.  

Part of it plays into the silly/irreverent nature of disgaea games.  But I'm going to guess and say that screenshot reflects extensive postgame grinding and may not be what most players experience.  The uncapped approach will appeal to some players, I'm sure.

I have the Switch CE pre-ordered through NISA.  But I wish that it was available on Playstation.  Since that's where I have all of my other physical Disgaea titles. 

Another guess is that an eventual complete/+ version will come to consoles and pc.

#32994 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:18 PM

..That being said reminder that the Neptunia reVerse LE is live today :P lol

https://www.iffysonl...nia-reverse-LE/

They aligned a restock of the Neptunia reVerse large mousepad with it too, it seems:

https://www.iffysonl...verse-mousepad/

#32995 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3633 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:23 PM

Have you tried the demo for berserias? Can't hurt. I would have suggested doing that with vesperia had I known.

No, haven't tried Berserias.  I've tried Symphonia (GC), Hearts R (Vita), and now Vesperia (Switch).  I think I'm done with the series.  I did grab Symphonia Chronicles (PS3) at some point on the cheap and never got around to it. I figured I'd give it another chance after selling off the GC version thinking maybe I just didn't give it enough time.   I have plenty of others games to play so axing a series completely is actually a major positive for me.  I love so much of what they do in these games... but just can't be bothered anymore.  Vesperia though got a solid shake.  I put around 30 hours into it.

#32996 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24076 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:23 PM

They aligned a restock of the Neptunia reVerse large mousepad with it too, it seems:

Wow, was ready to preorder this but they charge people immediately now...? Not so sure anymore... 

#32997 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:38 PM

Disgaea-6-stats.jpg

Virtually unlimited leveling has always been a part of Disgaea’s identity, and is there for the niche audience that loves grinding. It’s never been mandatory, and most people will never see it in their own games. That character is level 99,999,999.

#32998 Joshua1207  

Joshua1207

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:30 PM

Cuteness aside, story/characters any good in this?  Hadn't heard of it.  Looking at the steam page mainly informed me that the dialogue windows will make my eyes bleed.

Regardless, I appreciate sharing the find.  I gained +1 to apathy earlier today when viewing 50% of my wishilist at "sale" prices I've seen before.

If you like cute romance stories, then its pretty good. There's a lot of different couples in the game, so there's a decent variety in the type of couples and how their romance develops etc. I recommend it if you want something relaxing and cute to read.

#32999 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3213 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:50 PM

I haven’t played it yet myself, but from what I’ve heard about it, it’s pure fluff—good fluff if you like that sort of thing (I do), but there’s nothing at all substantive, just sweet romance VN stuff.

If you like cute romance stories, then its pretty good. There's a lot of different couples in the game, so there's a decent variety in the type of couples and how their romance develops etc. I recommend it if you want something relaxing and cute to read.

Thanks for the responses.  Decided just to wishlist it for now.  Might be in my cart for a future $5 off $30 sale prices if/when steam does another of those.  Going to tackle some other VN's I own for now.

Has anyone attempted to play one of the existing fan translations of Chaos;Head?  Thinking I might try to do that before Chaos;Child. Finally finished all the S;G spinoffs so I'm ready to move forward in these science adventure games.

#33000 Tothoro  

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:56 PM

It looks like they're still using G1 steelbooks/metalpaks, too. Yuck. On top of this already being a re-re-re-release it's an easy pass for me. Even by IFFY standards this feels super low effort.

No, haven't tried Berserias.  I've tried Symphonia (GC), Hearts R (Vita), and now Vesperia (Switch).  I think I'm done with the series.  I did grab Symphonia Chronicles (PS3) at some point on the cheap and never got around to it. I figured I'd give it another chance after selling off the GC version thinking maybe I just didn't give it enough time.   I have plenty of others games to play so axing a series completely is actually a major positive for me.  I love so much of what they do in these games... but just can't be bothered anymore.  Vesperia though got a solid shake.  I put around 30 hours into it.

Tales is my favorite series, and the things that are typically notable about entries are the combat systems (Action RPG with hints of fighting game in its DNA) and the characters (occasionally tropey, but generally good development and enjoyable interactions). But the games aren't for everyone. Some people want more social elements (i.e. Persona), some people don't jive with the combat system.

That said, I don't think you should feel bad or guilty if you didn't enjoy them. Games are a subjective medium and everyone has different taste, plus like you mentioned there are plenty of other games out there.