* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#33061 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3305 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:49 PM

Well looks like I'm never ordering from Gamestop.com again unless it's a western game I don't care about collecting. I had ordered Ryza 2 and 13 Sentinels like 2 weeks ago now. First time they claim they delivered the package on my doorstep, it wasn't. Contacted Gamestop and asked for a replacement. They sent me a gift card for the value of Ryza 2 and a copy of 13 Sentinels. So I go to order Ryza 2 again (had credit for both games so I wanted to order from GS) and this time it comes but the case is all busted which I wouldn't care about but the label is all torn to hell. Ugh...

I hear you. I stopped ordering from Gamestop.com years ago because of how they'd send me gutted and clearly used games (fingerprints and all) when I had purchased new. At this point, I only use Gamestop.com to match prices with other retailers.

To be sure, I loved Gamestop for their preowned games, but that inventory dried up around here some time ago, and there seems little to no interest in replenishing such stock in stores.

#33062 Johnny365   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   704 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2021 - 02:54 AM

I order from Gamestop.com sometimes, if it's an exclusive game that doesn't have store-pickup options or if there is a BOGO sale.

#33063 akgamerx  

akgamerx

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:50 AM

I hear you. I stopped ordering from Gamestop.com years ago because of how they'd send me gutted and clearly used games (fingerprints and all) when I had purchased new. At this point, I only use Gamestop.com to match prices with other retailers.

To be sure, I loved Gamestop for their preowned games, but that inventory dried up around here some time ago, and there seems little to no interest in replenishing such stock in stores.

Ya I got a "NEW" Ryza 2 from their $39.99 deal of the day recently and it came with one of their dumbass circular stickers on the side, opened it up, fingerprints all over the disc lol.

#33064 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3305 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 13 May 2021 - 02:45 PM

Ya I got a "NEW" Ryza 2 from their $39.99 deal of the day recently and it came with one of their dumbass circular stickers on the side, opened it up, fingerprints all over the disc lol.

At least you got a PS4 case.  I ordered a visual novel PS4 game, day one edition, new.  Game is supposed to come in a box with an artbook.  So game arrives, opened, of course.  Outside cardboard box is folded, flat.  Game is in a yellow slip (I'm talking just roaming outside the bubblemail), with fingerprints all over it but with a little sticker that says "new" on it. No PS4 case, no cover art.  The artbook was there, but clearly had been looked through.  What a joke.  Didn't bother returning as I had zero interest in stepping foot in a GS again, and haven't since, nor will I ever order from GS.com again.

#33065 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10560 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:00 PM

I ordered Raging Loop Switch new copy a while back since it was getting hard to get. Well Gamestop sent me a pretty beat up outer box and the case wasn't in amazing condition either. That artbook though was pristine. I also say get the games cheap, but it's usually better to support others getting the games new.

#33066 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3637 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:34 PM

Speaking of GS... Kingdoms of Amalur is $22.99 on gamestop.com.  No store pickup option has it back to over $30 with tax and shipping.  Makes it an easy pass when I could end up dealing with an opened/stickered up copy along with the final price.  Just going to wait for BB, Amazon, or Walmart.  When it hits $25 or less on one of them, I'll grab it.   I had two local gs stores but they closed one of the them and the other, last time I went in, was a shell of what it used to be.  The amount of games is really low.   While I haven't been shopping as much these days at GS, I hope they manage to stick around just so there is another player in the market.  I used to love picking the dead bones of systems as everyone moved on and the used games got cheap.  But I switched my purchasing methodology with the switch to buy games that I really wanted near launch, which leaves only a few games that I want... but just at a big discount only.

#33067 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3219 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:06 PM

Speaking of GS... Kingdoms of Amalur is $22.99 on gamestop.com.  No store pickup option has it back to over $30 with tax and shipping.  Makes it an easy pass when I could end up dealing with an opened/stickered up copy along with the final price.  Just going to wait for BB, Amazon, or Walmart.  When it hits $25 or less on one of them, I'll grab it.   I had two local gs stores but they closed one of the them and the other, last time I went in, was a shell of what it used to be.  The amount of games is really low.   While I haven't been shopping as much these days at GS, I hope they manage to stick around just so there is another player in the market.  I used to love picking the dead bones of systems as everyone moved on and the used games got cheap.  But I switched my purchasing methodology with the switch to buy games that I really wanted near launch, which leaves only a few games that I want... but just at a big discount only.

If you're talking about re-reckoning, that's been in several GS sales the past couple of months around $15 new.  I grabbed a couple preowned for ~$6-7 each when a 50% promo overlapped with that title's sale.

I don't love GS either, especially after some poor experiences lately due to terrible quality control from store shipments.  But the majority of  my physical collection of standard edition games on recent gens is from GS due to stuff like their 50% preowned sales.

#33068 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   37999 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:16 PM

If you're talking about re-reckoning, that's been in several GS sales the past couple of months around $15 new.  I grabbed a couple preowned for ~$6-7 each when a 50% promo overlapped with that title's sale.

I don't love GS either, especially after some poor experiences lately due to terrible quality control from store shipments.  But the majority of  my physical collection of standard edition games on recent gens is from GS due to stuff like their 50% preowned sales.

He was referring to the Switch version of Re-Reckoning, which hasn't seen many discounts below $30 before now.

#33069 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3637 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2021 - 06:20 PM

He was referring to the Switch version of Re-Reckoning, which hasn't seen many discounts below $30 before now.

Yep, this.  I should have been more clear.   Mostly I just buy switch games these days.

#33070 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6328 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 13 May 2021 - 10:16 PM

Yeah quality of GameStop orders is very hit or miss. Worse than awd. I only get stuff through them on 50% or deep clearance from them.

#33071 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8839 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:23 PM

Bought Kandagawa Jet Girls for $20 on sale. I was eventually going to wait for a deep Steam sale but I'm a sucker for soundtracks and $20 is for the day one edition is a price I don't mind paying. Won't get here till next week because I offered for the prime day free credit shipping since I won't play it asap. Even if I hate the game which I won't, still got a 2 Disc Soundtrack.

#33072 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3219 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:02 PM

Bought Kandagawa Jet Girls for $20 on sale.

Same. Although i'm a tad concerned it might be in fact terrible. Considering keeping the game case sealed and still waiting on the steam version.

#33073 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1008 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2021 - 02:49 AM

It's an okay game. The story missions are easy enough to beat, but the requirements for some of the extra achievements like not bumping into walls takes some skill. They try to take the story in a dark turn at the end but it never goes anywhere and doesn't even show up in the anime. Easy platinum too, unlocking everything and playing the tutorial is all it takes. Outside of the Senran Kagura DLC the other stuff is an extra color scheme for costumes in game.

#33074 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2021 - 04:42 PM

My sympathies to Berserk fans. Kentaro Miura was a big influence on modern Japanese pop culture in general.

#33075 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6328 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 20 May 2021 - 06:29 PM

Yeah I heard that he passed yesterday from an acute aortic dissection or something like that.

Hopefully they will continue the series without them.

I wonder if hunterhunter will be next.

#33076 nagpo  

Posted 20 May 2021 - 06:46 PM

Are any of the Berserk games good?

#33077 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:25 PM

Yeah I heard that he passed yesterday from an acute aortic dissection or something like that.

Hopefully they will continue the series without them.

I wonder if hunterhunter will be next.

He passed on the 6th, actually, it was only just announced yesterday.

#33078 cloudmd23   Tojo Clan Member CAGiversary!   247 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2021 - 02:42 PM

Are any of the Berserk games good?

The Dreamcast one is clunky and probably has not aged well (though it had some cool moments). I really liked the PS4 game, though I'm a big fan of Musou/Dynasty Warriors titles in general. There's not a lot of content in it, but you can probably get it used for real cheap at this point nevermind, the aftermarket has gone insane just like everything else. May have to rely on digital.

#33079 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3219 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2021 - 02:28 PM

Today is the scheduled release for the fan-made localization patch for the pc version of  Ao no Kiseki.   In the original order of release for kiseki (Trails) games, Ao / Azure comes right before Cold Steel 1. In terms of ingame timeline, Ao covers concurrent events that happen along with those of Cold Steel I and II.   If someone is going in with no series knowledge, I would at least recommend starting with Zero no Kiseki, for which a similar fan-made localization has been available for one year now.

I'm excited as this is one of my very favorite games.  I think I've done ~4 playthroughs, all with a past fan translation (for which I am very thankful).  But the patch releasing today will be much more polished.

Edit:  The release is now live here.

#33080 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10560 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2021 - 05:54 PM

I really need to get to the Trails series. Always seems daunting though I collect them all.

#33081 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5587 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2021 - 06:04 PM

I really need to get to the Trails series. Always seems daunting though I collect them all.

I hope you’re planning on starting from

#33082 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3219 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:18 PM

I say: Get over the barrier!
..which is the name of the primary battle theme in Zero no Kiseki, in addition to a recurring theme in the development of the ingame characters. Personally, I find the 'struggling to overcome limitations holding you back' a superior motif than the stale 'my power is the strength of our bonds.' 

#33083 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5726 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2021 - 01:07 AM

Today is the scheduled release for the fan-made localization patch for the pc version of  Ao no Kiseki.   In the original order of release for kiseki (Trails) games, Ao / Azure comes right before Cold Steel 1. In terms of ingame timeline, Ao covers concurrent events that happen along with those of Cold Steel I and II.   If someone is going in with no series knowledge, I would at least recommend starting with Zero no Kiseki, for which a similar fan-made localization has been available for one year now.

I'm excited as this is one of my very favorite games.  I think I've done ~4 playthroughs, all with a past fan translation (for which I am very thankful).  But the patch releasing today will be much more polished.

Edit:  The release is now live here.

Though you linked it, I will mention that the Zero patch was updated with the release of the Ao patch. It changes a fair bit of names and what not to coincide with the NISA translation of Cold Steel IV.

I was planning on posting this, but you've been watching the info much more closely than I have it seems. I should finally dig into Zero/Ao now that both are complete with a decent translation.

#33084 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3219 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2021 - 01:32 AM

Though you linked it, I will mention that the Zero patch was updated with the release of the Ao patch. It changes a fair bit of names and what not to coincide with the NISA translation of Cold Steel IV.

That too! Today I decided to try out the new patch and replay the ending of zero to hit azure running.  There's small changes like the addition of a popup for the bgm title whenever it changes.  Stuff falcom fans appreciate.  

#33085 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6328 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 23 May 2021 - 01:34 AM

I could never be bothered to buy the import trails games and apply a translation patch to them. Too much work.

#33086 unknownbrackets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   39 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

unknownbrackets

Posted 23 May 2021 - 05:20 AM

I could never be bothered to do the import trails games and apply a translation patch to them. Too much work.

For Zero, at least, the digital purchase didn't seem like much work at all.  I bought it when it was discounted - I think it was 50% off, which is unfortunately over by now.  Ao's digital purchase is definitely more work, though.

Of course, I'd buy them again if official ports were released.

-[Unknown]

#33087 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1115 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2021 - 01:26 AM

Kentaro Miura's passing really bummed me out.  I've been following Berserk since I watched low quality fansubs back in the 90's.  I enjoyed the Dreamcast game when it came out, despite its flaws.  Great soundtrack. 

Looks like the PS4 game (digital) was last on sale back in February 2020 for $24.  If it drops to that price again, I'll grab it and sell my physical copy.

#33088 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8839 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 25 May 2021 - 01:50 AM

My Kandagawa Jet Girls came in today. Played it for about 3 hours and it's strangely relaxing. The story is derpy, the game is easy, and there is a ton of stuff to unlock but it's all pretty easy to unlock. It's a game after a hard day of work to just take my mind off things. I will be playing it off and on since I got Biomutant coming tomorrow.

#33089 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3219 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2021 - 03:38 PM

Well, I was pretty hyped for Nocturne HD.  Own the physical ps2 disc but never got around to playing it.  Bought the switch version at launch even after reading about the shortcomings of this version and the history of patches that followed the jp release.

Gotta say, the issue of audio quality is much more significant than I expected from that initial reading.  Might as well just be using the speakers on the nsw console.  Anything better than low-level headphones will expose an extremely low quality audio used, especially during battle bgm tracks.

Wishing I had waited and bought this on pc where hopefully mods/patches can correct this.

#33090 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   20335 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:12 PM

Well, I was pretty hyped for Nocturne HD.  Own the physical ps2 disc but never got around to playing it.  Bought the switch version at launch even after reading about the shortcomings of this version and the history of patches that followed the jp release.

Gotta say, the issue of audio quality is much more significant than I expected from that initial reading.  Might as well just be using the speakers on the nsw console.  Anything better than low-level headphones will expose an extremely low quality audio used, especially during battle bgm tracks.

Wishing I had waited and bought this on pc where hopefully mods/patches can correct this.

There is an audio mod for PC and Switch

https://www.reddit.c...io_for_hd_ears/