* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#33211 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3624 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:25 PM

I was more speaking about the special editions that LRG makes... Sony/Nintendo makes the games, but random companies make everything else and LRG ultimate packs/seals them. 

Switch games (same for 3DS) come cart only from Nintendo and those too are packed by the third party packing company which LRG has contracted for the work.   So you've got some lower wage workers that I'd bet most of which aren't gamers and don't care at all about game conditions putting together standard switch games and the special/limited editions.

#33212 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24061 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:45 PM

Switch games (same for 3DS) come cart only from Nintendo and those too are packed by the third party packing company which LRG has contracted for the work.   So you've got some lower wage workers that I'd bet most of which aren't gamers and don't care at all about game conditions putting together standard switch games and the special/limited editions.

Oh you literally meant the cart is all Nintendo makes... wow, I had no idea. That explains why so many of my sealed NS and 3DS games look like shit.... 

#33213 RPGamer246   I Game You Game We Game CAGiversary!   1254 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:42 PM

Monark limited edition is up on NISAmerica. PS4, ps5 and switch versions. New school JRPG from ex SMT devs

https://store.nisamerica.com/monark

#33214 Photophonic  

Photophonic

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:21 PM

I wish I could say I was excited for this but Monark is just not doing it for me. Maybe once it gets closer it might change my mind but did we really need another JRPG that takes place in school.....? I understand it is required by law for anime to be set in a school, an Isekai, or both but games had far more freedom *said as a fan of school based anime*.

#33215 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3624 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2021 - 03:11 PM

Oh you literally meant the cart is all Nintendo makes... wow, I had no idea. That explains why so many of my sealed NS and 3DS games look like shit.... 

Exactly.  It was this was for DS as well as other Nintendo systems.  It makes me think back when I was a teen (NES days) and someone mentioned they had a relative that worked at Nintendo packing games... they really meant they worked for a game packing company that handled games for the NES that was likely contracted by one of the 3rd party publishers (or maybe even under contract by Nintendo themselves).  It all makes sense now.... kid wasn't just spinning yarn about what his relative did.   I stumbled on this whole cart shipping thing years ago when I followed the development of an indie DS game that got published.  Dude explained the whole process, how the games came as carts, and then how he had to pack them all himself.    It makes sense too when you hear about game carts getting dumped by publishers that didn't sell... they are cart only in every case because the game didn't sell well enough to spend the money to have them packed for retail.

Anyway, it's cool to share this info... and yes it makes more sense why Nintendo stuff (mostly 3rd parties) varies in quality of how it's packed.

#33216 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9620 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:56 PM

There are still good games to play.  There are.  But does anyone else feel like the overall catalogue quality of JRPGs has  decreased lately?   Seems like a lot of spiritless Iffi stuff and low-effort Bandai Namco PS4-era games to me.  Plus several dungeon crawlers and visual novels with low production value that are easy to develop. 

#33217 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5578 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:06 PM

There are still good games to play. There are. But does anyone else feel like the overall catalogue quality of JRPGs has decreased lately? Seems like a lot of spiritless Iffi stuff and low-effort Bandai Namco PS4-era games to me. Plus several dungeon crawlers and visual novels with low production value that are easy to develop.

I’ve felt like that since about midway through the 6th console generation.

#33218 FlawlesslyFatal   $15 or less CAGiversary!   1943 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

FlawlesslyFatal

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:07 PM

Missed out on Death End R2 LE because my computer decided to freeze on me

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

#33219 DanteWarrior   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1407 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

DanteWarrior

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:10 PM

Iffy upcoming sale, apparently no more reprints on these

https://www.iffysonl...r-cleanup-sale/

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Most stuff went out of stock really fast

#33220 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10555 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:27 PM

There are still good games to play.  There are.  But does anyone else feel like the overall catalogue quality of JRPGs has  decreased lately?   Seems like a lot of spiritless Iffi stuff and low-effort Bandai Namco PS4-era games to me.  Plus several dungeon crawlers and visual novels with low production value that are easy to develop. 

I feel starting around the 3DS/Vita era which is close to the end of PS3 start of PS4 era we started getting flooded with a large mixture of good RPGs, a few great ones, many derivative ones, and just a lot of them. This is when Kemco started pumping out RPGS, Iffy was already doing a lot of okay to decent RPGs, Tales of games could be mixed quality (Zestria), Bamco releasing lots of anime action games and RPGs of mixed quality which bleed into their other series like God Eater, S-E released probably one of my least favorite FFs in FFXV, NISA was just pumping out stuff mainly dungeon crawlers and those simpler horror/puzzle type games, and yeah it's just a large glut of games that are alright. In those years I'd say the great RPGs might be FF7R (I think it's alright but I stopped playing when the PS5 version was announced so I'll finish it sometime this year), Cold Steel games, Persona 5/5r, Tales of Beseria (didn't play much so no opinion), and one of my personal favorite Dungeon Travelers 2 (easily my favorite dungeon crawler of the last few years). I don't feel like much of an RPG player anymore because I get so bored right away with newer games. The stories and characters fail to impress me early on so I forget about them and don't want to play them anymore. I get bored of lots of battles, such as my most recent playing of Exist Archive, and the stories just really don't resonate with me anymore. Too many are power of friendship, super baddie needs to be taken out, and super crazy powered teammates that are not like anyone else. These are just my opinions, but I'm strongly considering just selling about 80% of my RPG collection since I feel a lot just isn't exciting me anymore. I own loads of Iffy, NISA, Atlus and other RPGs, and I'm not really sure I want to play them. I will give them a try before selling unless the game is like worth $400 or something new. That I'd likely just sell.

#33221 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9620 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:59 PM

It takes awhile for a console (library) to mature so I usually give it until the end of the cycle.  That's when we pick up all of our clearance jp games too. 

I was looking through amazon listings and recommendations which is what made me think of this again.   There just isn't very much niche last-gen stuff worth picking up, which is crazy. 

In those years I'd say the great RPGs might be FF7R (I think it's alright but I stopped playing when the PS5 version was announced so I'll finish it sometime this year),

Me too. In fact it's installing right now!

#33222 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3624 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:29 PM

I'm super picky when it comes to RPG's... but this gen has been stellar for me... with the DQ and Xenoblade series alone.  I loved Destiny Connect though I could see that flying under most people's radars.  It just ticked a lot of boxes for me, and I took the gamble.   Mario Golf in a couple weeks has an rpg/career mode.  I'll be playing the hell out of that.

Maybe you are just getting more bothered that your taste has refined?  There's only so much time to game... play only what you love the most.  Let the rest go.

#33223 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10555 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:53 PM

I forgot about DQ11 really good. I am now of the strategy where if I'm bored, fall asleep (has happened before!), losing my attention playing the game, yawning, or just kind of I've seen this before I quit it. I don't think about the money and if possible I'll recoup. It's better than wasting my time on something I'm not crazy about, of which you can never buy more time. I do love my Mario sports RPG games of which I enjoyed the tennis on the GBA I think it was. I also enjoyed the Mario Golf on 3DS for a bit. Likely will get the newer entry sometime during the year. I have other stuff to play, but some time will be the right time for it. Just like Hot Shots Golf games, I generally enjoy the Mario Golf games. I mean this mentality doesn't only apply to games but books, movies and tv shows, and even stuff like music. I think I'm just more in tune with the fact that it's better to try to spend time doing what you enjoy instead of trying to enjoy things that just don't jive with you.

#33224 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   825 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:38 PM

As someone who never liked DQ at all (in fact I'd say I straight up hate some of the games) DQ11 totally blew me away, probably my favorite more traditional JRPG of the PS4 generation. Picked it up for like $7 when my family video was going out of business and am really glad I gave it a chance.

#33225 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9620 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:17 PM

Jesus okay I guess I won't be opening my Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana limited edition either. 

You wait too long and then it's time to start buying standard editions of games you already own. 

#33226 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3205 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:33 AM

Received a notice today that vgp has a (much needed) new website.  I first thought the email was bogus but they kick you some reward points for activating an old account on the new site.

Also, just a warning.  Apparently the FFVIIR dlc has something pretty spoilery.  I wasn't onguard and was just listening to some friends discuss the dlc, which I plan to play later.  But yeah, if anyone is also waiting - careful with this one.

#33227 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1025 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:09 AM

Received a notice today that vgp has a (much needed) new website. I first thought the email was bogus but they kick you some reward points for activating an old account on the new site.

Also, just a warning. Apparently the FFVIIR dlc has something pretty spoilery. I wasn't onguard and was just listening to some friends discuss the dlc, which I plan to play later. But yeah, if anyone is also waiting - careful with this one.

I only came here to post that I already have a shipping notice from the Iffy sale, so that’s great turnaround time.

I can’t imagine what kind of spoilers exist for a 20 year old game, but you’ve got me curious now. Then again my memory of the plot in general has probably also deteriorated over that time. Maybe I’ll start the remake tonight before abandoning it tomorrow when my R&C shows up.

#33228 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3205 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:11 AM

I can’t imagine what kind of spoilers exist for a 20 year old game, but you’ve got me curious now. Then again my memory of the plot in general has probably also deteriorated over that time. Maybe I’ll start the remake tonight before abandoning it tomorrow when my R&C shows up.

That was my thought too (hence being off guard).  This isn't something like ***** dies; it regards new content that is added.

#33229 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24061 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:49 AM

I mean... they've already gone pretty far off tangent so not sure it's the usual spoiler. 

#33230 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10555 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:49 AM

I thought VPG was hacked or my email spoofed or something. I think I only bought something ages ago (Infinite Space if you want to know). I'll click on it then. I think the wording in the email said I myself created it so I was like WTF is going on and sent an email to customer service which hasn't responded yet. Thanks for taking the plunge haha.

#33231 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24061 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:55 AM

I thought VPG was hacked or my email spoofed or something. I think I only bought something ages ago (Infinite Space if you want to know). I'll click on it then. I think the wording in the email said I myself created it so I was like WTF is going on and sent an email to customer service which hasn't responded yet. Thanks for taking the plunge haha.

FYI, I clicked all the bonus things and it just gave me points (at least I got the emails saying I got pts)... I don't even have Twitter or IG... 

#33232 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10555 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:58 AM

Yeah it's on the banner on their site mentioning about the old accounts. It should have said that in the email though.

#33233 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6315 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 11 June 2021 - 04:33 PM

Now I have enough points for 5$ off. Thanks for the heads up.

#33234 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3624 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:20 PM

I wonder if this means it's now safe to order from VGP using a credit card on their website?  Not sure I'll be the guneapig for it... but I've been considering getting a copy of Hardcore Mecha and they will carry the PAL version.  Second best option would be going with PA and get the Japan or Asia version (whichever one they a have in stock).

#33235 dragonx   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   73 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:06 AM

Metal Slug Tactics (tactical RPG) in development for Steam.  Looks pretty good so far.

#33236 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5842 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:51 AM

That looks awesome. I like that they're trying a new genre instead of making another umpteenth installment. I hope the King of Fighters (For Girls) visual novel eventually makes its way here.

#33237 outlaw1323187  

outlaw1323187

Posted 12 June 2021 - 02:06 PM

Ys 8 instock at Gamestop preowned 3 left

#33238 Tothoro  

Posted 12 June 2021 - 02:46 PM

I wonder if this means it's now safe to order from VGP using a credit card on their website?  Not sure I'll be the guneapig for it... but I've been considering getting a copy of Hardcore Mecha and they will carry the PAL version.  Second best option would be going with PA and get the Japan or Asia version (whichever one they a have in stock).

Would definitely be cool but I'm with you - gonna stick to PayPal for now.

#33239 gpn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   213 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2021 - 03:50 PM

I wonder if this means it's now safe to order from VGP using a credit card on their website? 

They're using Shop Pay now (shopify?), which is the same as LRG, Bethesda Gear and several other sites I've used. I ordered the physical Doki Doki from them last night and used my saved Shop Pay credit card.

#33240 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10555 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 03:12 AM

Here's a quick (marathoned this over 2 nights) review of Kinkoi: Golden Loveriche. This is the first VN in a decent while to really impress me overall. The graphics are great and have so much detail in the characters and the backgrounds and such. This is a story about a guy who gets caught up in a lot of circumstances and ends up going to a prestigious academy. The characters are all pretty developed honestly. There could have easily been 2 more routes, though those were saved for the fan disc (also coming in English eventually). I found the common route pretty good and it had a lot of events and set a good part for the game. After this you can choose from a few scenarios and then read and play them out. One thing I love about this game, other than 1 route, is that most characters would appear in other routes. I'm not as much of a fan of visual novels who once you choose a route lose all the other characters you got to know. These routes (other than 1 which I found quick and not amazing honestly) have a lot of drama, character development, side character development and especially main character development. I really liked the stories overall other than that 1 route. They keep giving your more information to keep figuring out how these characters come together and know each other overall. I found the comedy overall pretty good with the mix of the drama. This feels like a hybrid moege x nakige. The voice actors are excellent and even the higher pitched characters don't sound annoying at all. This was just a strong VN overall, although there were a few typos and localization weirdness by NekoNyan, which could be patched. The music is really pretty too with many piano compositions and just a good amount in general. The true end is beautiful too. I think the thing I loved the most was that there was drama, but it felt very believable and not stupid. Hatsukoi 1/1 pissed me off with how overblown and moronic the drama was in each route. This one felt realistic and interesting. I highly, highly recommend this VN. It's easily the best I've played in the last few years. Beautiful, human and it made me cry honestly. 9/10