* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#33271 sjc1279   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   313 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:56 AM

Sounds very plausible- do you have a link to a source?

Japanese-style horror "Zero ~ Wet No Miko~" will also appear for multiple platforms such as PS5 and PC! - GAME Watch (impress.co.jp)

#33272 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6448 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 17 June 2021 - 01:11 AM

1  for .99
5  for 2.99
10 for  4.99
Return to Shironagasu Island
Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of Fujisawa
Kawaii Deathu Desu
How to Fool a Liar King
Tenta Shooter
Majotori
The Legend of Dark Witch
Big Dipper
Steel Vampire
Strawberry Vinegar
Maidens of a Hollow Dream
Graze Counter
AIdol
How To Date A Magical Girl!
Soul Saber 2
Celestian Tales: Old North
Wings of Vi
Analogue: A Hate Story
How to Take Off Your Mask
CAFE 0 ~The Drowned Mermaid~ Deluxe
Cursed Sight
World's Dawn

Nothing I'm really too interested in there.

#33273 nagpo  

Posted 17 June 2021 - 03:47 AM

Here is the translation:

"Compatible models are PlayStation 5 / PlayStation 4 / Xbox X | S / Xbox One / Nintendo Switch / PC (Steam), and the price is undecided. PS5 / Xbox X | S / Xbox One / PC (Steam) is sold only as a download version."

So if this is correct, at the very least the japanese will get a physical release.

#33274 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5674 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:31 AM

https://www.fanatica...wn-anime-bundle
1 for .99
5 for 2.99
10 for 4.99
Return to Shironagasu Island
Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of Fujisawa
Kawaii Deathu Desu
How to Fool a Liar King
Tenta Shooter
Majotori
The Legend of Dark Witch
Big Dipper
Steel Vampire
Strawberry Vinegar
Maidens of a Hollow Dream
Graze Counter
AIdol
How To Date A Magical Girl!
Soul Saber 2
Celestian Tales: Old North
Wings of Vi
Analogue: A Hate Story
How to Take Off Your Mask
CAFE 0 ~The Drowned Mermaid~ Deluxe
Cursed Sight
World's Dawn

Nothing I'm really too interested in there.

If anyone doesn’t gave them already, I hear good things about Legend of Dark Witch, Strawberry Vinegar, Graze Counter, and Analogue. I have them all backlogged so no personal experience.

#33275 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3295 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:05 PM

sorta-new Fanatical bundle, Bento Bundle 4

Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Spirit Hunter: Death Mark
White Day: A Labyrinth Named School
Synergia
The eXceed Collection: Aural Brutality Edition
Learn Japanese to Survive! Trilogy

$5.57 after promo code BESTDAD

#33276 scorponok   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   12 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

scorponok

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:40 PM

Was anyone able to get the e3 20% off discount code for the xseed store to work?  When I try to apply the coupon code in the cart it says it does not exist.  I emailed xseed about it but they didn't reply.

#33277 RubMySweatyThighsPls  

RubMySweatyThighsPls

Posted 18 June 2021 - 11:07 PM

sorta-new Fanatical bundle, Bento Bundle 4

Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Spirit Hunter: Death Mark
White Day: A Labyrinth Named School
Synergia
The eXceed Collection: Aural Brutality Edition
Learn Japanese to Survive! Trilogy

$5.57 after promo code BESTDAD

Nice picked this up since I didn't have of these titles 

#33278 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3295 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2021 - 11:12 PM

Nice picked this up since I didn't have of these titles 

Yeah I already own xanadu and death mark.  But based on playing them i'd say it's worth it for those two titles alone. Know nothing about the other games.

#33279 nagpo  

Posted 22 June 2021 - 04:42 AM

https://www.play-asi...glish/13/70emi1

Here we go. Fatal frame physical in english

#33280 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10607 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:01 AM

It will do. Super Robot Wars 30 Asia English as well, so may as well make an order that will be sent who knows when haha.

#33281 Shadowmoses12   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1594 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Shadowmoses12

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:11 AM

https://www.amazon.c...chk_typ_imgToDp

https://www.amazon.c...092DB6J59&psc=1

If anyone collects card pods. Sold out on playasia for the hylian shield. so idk how limited these will be. Triforce pod didn't go up on playasia yet

#33282 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3341 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:06 AM

Come on PS4 version, where are you?

#33283 Soma_Cruz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1656 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Soma_Cruz

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:10 AM

It will do. Super Robot Wars 30 Asia English as well, so may as well make an order that will be sent who knows when haha.

I just got done ordering a copy of Super Robot Wars T. Been meaning to get into the series for a while and decided now is a good time for a new SRPG since Disgaea 6 seems like it's gong to be pretty meh going by the demo.

#33284 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3771 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:25 PM

Lately I've been going through much of my switch library, demos for switch, and other system libraries to determine what want of upcoming game releases (and keep for my collection to play).  For instance I played some of the Ace Attorney games on DS to see if I should continue the franchise and just didn't have fun.  So I'm passing on Ace Attorney Chronicles which has been starting to sell out of preorders and not going to follow that series.  The last Layton game though, Katrielle... I played a bunch of the switch version (a solid 10 hours.. playing the daily puzzle mode and 100%'ing the first two cases) and have loved that and will continue buying whatever Level-5 makes for that franchise (I think I have every english released Layton game so far).  In the last week between full games and demos I've tried around 25 games.

Last night I played (all on Switch):

Disgaea 6 (Demo) - It was pretty humorous all the level 999 guys and how the devs made fun of themselves as the main guy was so over powered... but I ended up stopping once it got past the intro and to the town/hub.   The series just isn't for me.  I'm not a big fan of the overall world/theme and will likely never have the time to really play one of these games to it's fullest.

World's End Club (Demo) - I gave it time as some here liked it... but like Danganronpa (some of the same devs), it just wasn't for me.  I'm just not into that kind of story.  Just too depressing a plot and theme.  More power to those that love the genre.

Ys IX (Demo) - It did nothing for me.  Battle system, for hack and slash, was ok as was being able to run up walls was cool... but they should have thrown in a little story element or something because the bare bones demo just reinforced my view that the Ys series just isn't for me.  Which I'm fine with.   Too much to play anyway and I don't need more.  Better to have 1 less series to follow.

Trails of Cold Steel III (Full Game) - I enjoyed that.  Got to the first dungeon after getting setup and saved and quit there... so around an hour or so.   I love the world and characters and have the first two games on Vita.   I put quite a few hours in the first game but was too busy to really press on so it got put up.   I went ahead and ordered a switch copy of Cold Steel IV today from BB.  Figured I wanted it and didn't want to track prices hoping for a drop.    I have a feeling come Thursday evening there's a chance at the Falcom event they'll announce the Cold Steel I & II switch ports are going to be localized (which I'd happily rebuy and just sell off my vita versions).   Anyway, that's why this got priority... would hate to decide I'm playing this and then have to pay over retail for the fourth game if it sells out.

Also played the full version of Mario & Rabids... and that was really much better than I expected.  The way the game world works is really clever.   I will get the sequel next year but not until it does the ubisoft drop to $20 since it should get over produced.

#33285 NotNewHere  

NotNewHere

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:39 PM

Any niche series x based imports?

#33286 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10607 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:12 AM

Amazon Prime day getting me a bigger Switch Memory card. 256 gig was not enough for me so I got a 512 gig one. My Switch card was constantly full or near full so eh it will be alright. Hopefully the transfer is clean, but yeah I've needed a bigger one for a while. For imports I checked Play-Asia and honestly nothing too exciting unless you may want Asian English versions of the S-E games like Legend of Mana. I'm going to likely order up Maiden Switch and Super Robot Wars 30 likely PS4 (have the rest on the platform). There are plenty of good imports available now like the Atelier two trilogies for Switch (not first though sadly), lots of Super Robot Wars, bunch of JPN releases with English subs like Ace Attourney trilogy, and so many more like Gundam Breaker 3 complete edition. Play-asia was expensive before and it's more expensive now than years past. Choose wisely if you do especially for Asian English releases since they're a bit harder to get elsewhere.

#33287 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1018 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:51 AM

The Xbox console itself.

#33288 artego   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   243 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:43 AM

There's barely any games out for it at the moment you think there's some niche JP-only game that managed to come out?

#33289 nagpo  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:53 AM

There's barely any games out for it at the moment you think there's some niche JP-only game that managed to come out?

I don't think so. But it's almost fully backwards compatible with ever previous xbox game. I know there have been quite a few japanese exclusive xbox games over the years so it could probably help you in the department.

#33290 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1018 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:53 AM

I don't think so. But it's almost fully backwards compatible with ever previous xbox game. I know there have been quite a few japanese exclusive xbox games over the years so it could probably help you in the department.

The series X|S is backwards compatible with Xbox One games (save for Kinect games,) select 360 games, and 38 Original Xbox titles they brought forward to Xbox One before discontinuing their backwards compatibility program in 2019. The only more recent development is that they worked out a way to make games render at 60fps using some tech magic, but haven't added to the list in 2 years now.  Those games that are backwards compatible don't actually run off the disk but instead download a digital copy from the Microsoft Store that checks for the disk. It's nice for things like Sonic Generations or Persona 4 Arena which never came off the PS3/360 but not something you'll be able to get an Xbox import of Idolmaster or Gal Gun to play in 4k.

https://www.xbox.com...d-compatibility

#33291 nagpo  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:26 PM

The series X|S is backwards compatible with Xbox One games (save for Kinect games,) select 360 games, and 38 Original Xbox titles they brought forward to Xbox One before discontinuing their backwards compatibility program in 2019. The only more recent development is that they worked out a way to make games render at 60fps using some tech magic, but haven't added to the list in 2 years now.  Those games that are backwards compatible don't actually run off the disk but instead download a digital copy from the Microsoft Store that checks for the disk. It's nice for things like Sonic Generations or Persona 4 Arena which never came off the PS3/360 but not something you'll be able to get an Xbox import of Idolmaster or Gal Gun to play in 4k.

https://www.xbox.com...d-compatibility

thanks for the info. i didn't know

#33292 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3771 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:41 PM

Alternate Jake Hunter: DAEDALUS The Awakening of Golden Jazz is $4.80 on the eshop.  I played the demo for this recently and found it pretty cool.  Not $40 cool and not probably worth me trying to find an import and research which one (if any) has English... but for under $5... yeah, I'll be grabbing it.

Last night I didn't have as much time to game... mainly just played the demo for Bravely Default 2.  I wasn't going to give it a shot and just write off the series as I don't need more games... but hate to just do that when a demo is available and costs me only a little time to check it out.  Overall it was pretty good.  The battle system with being brave (sacrifice future turns for some back to back turns) or default (pass on doing anything to have more turns later) is pretty cool.  I'm not going to pony up big bucks for it, but if it drops to $20 I might grab a copy.  I have the first two games (first one, I got for my son... second I got because it was cheap)... so no harm in considering this later.  If I miss out, oh well.. no big loss.

#33293 elessar123  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:09 PM

Last night I didn't have as much time to game... mainly just played the demo for Bravely Default 2.  I wasn't going to give it a shot and just write off the series as I don't need more games... but hate to just do that when a demo is available and costs me only a little time to check it out.  Overall it was pretty good.  The battle system with being brave (sacrifice future turns for some back to back turns) or default (pass on doing anything to have more turns later) is pretty cool.  I'm not going to pony up big bucks for it, but if it drops to $20 I might grab a copy.  I have the first two games (first one, I got for my son... second I got because it was cheap)... so no harm in considering this later.  If I miss out, oh well.. no big loss.

I finished the game not long after it came out. It's not as tedious as Bravely Default 1, but there's downsides. The Brave/Default is downgraded from what they used in Octopath, and the game can be steamrolled late game. I don't really remember the last 30% of the game.

#33294 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24203 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:17 PM

PA doesn't charge until they ship right? I'd rather have the PS4 version but figured this is worth a placeholder PO in case I miss that. 

#33295 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38075 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:19 PM

PA doesn't charge until they ship right? I'd rather have the PS4 version but figured this is worth a placeholder PO in case I miss that. 

I might be mistaken, but I think if you use Paypal, you're charged immediately. I've never used a credit card on Play-Asia, so I can't speak to that method.

#33296 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10607 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:29 PM

I can confirm I believe Paypal on Play-Asia charges immediately, but I can't be sure. This is just from memory of course.

#33297 Midori Monkey  

Midori Monkey

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:53 PM

I've only ever used Paypal, and that charges immediately. 

#33298 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5674 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:54 PM

I can confirm I believe

Wait what?

#33299 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3771 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:43 PM

I checked my last order with PA... DQ 1/2/3 Switch... which I pre-ordered in early September 2019 and shipped in late October 2019.  I paid by Credit Card and correct... at that time I was charged a $1 fee which fell off at the time of the order and then the full amount when the order shipped on October 20th.  Took some digging to figure this out... glad I don't delete my text history.  I get alerts with every charge.  But I could have looked this up at home as I log all CC transactions into my financial software... though the dates might have been off from when the actual charge was attempted.  Charge attempts I know about within a couple seconds of them happening.

#33300 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24203 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:54 PM

Well, placed an order with my credit card and no pending charge or anything so that's something.