* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#33421 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3377 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 01 July 2021 - 06:46 PM

I just went with digital for the collection so can't really give a concrete answer, but, all 3 games are only about 13 gig total so it'd be kinda weird if they weren't on the disc. There are multiple threads on gamefaqs about the physical release and I didn't see a single post about the games not being on disc, so that sounds weird. I assume at least one person would make a big deal if it was the case. Could ask there if you have an account and no one else here can answer.

Oh and one last thing I'd point out, all 3 games are different apps (which is pretty weird for this style of collection) so even if all 3 games were on the disc your PS4/5 download list would give you notifications that it is installing all 3 games separately.

Thanks. This makes more sense. Sounds like the disc might require one to just install eacg game on their HDs to play. There are other PS4 games that do this so unlike what another user said, it shouldn't mean you need an Internet connection.

Now of course one would need that for patches, but I tend to just play without them so long as they're not game breaking which should be the case here given these are just ports of old games.

#33422 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:08 PM

Will have to keep a look out on the next AI game. Never did play the first one but will have to give it at go since I enjoyed the Zero Escape games.

There was (and might still be) a demo for the first game.   I played the demo on switch before deciding against it.

#33423 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9715 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:09 PM

August 13th 2021

57685-BD9-AB6-D-429-D-85-E4-E44-CA2-AA90

#33424 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   845 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 01 July 2021 - 10:05 PM

Gemma weirdly left with 0 explanation.

Yep, that is what I was getting at basically. Going forward you're not really going to see much of him playing as Kasane, Gemma plays a bigger role in Yuito's story. Same with a few of the other characters. They're not completely out of the story but your interaction with them is minimal.

The stories diverge quite a bit, more then I figured they would honestly.

#33425 DanteWarrior   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1462 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

DanteWarrior

Posted 02 July 2021 - 01:20 AM

Some decent offerings at play Asia with free shipping. Use coupon Gematsu for 5% off

End of eternity ps4

https://www.play-asia.com/end-of-eternity-4khd-edition-multi-language/13/70ecgf

Dead or school switch

https://www.play-asia.com/dead-or-school-multi-language/13/70cjvl

Is it wrong to pick up... PS4 CE    

https://www.play-asi...ombat/13/70csij

Folks have already mentioned Fatal frame, legend of Mana, saga frontier, atelier mysterious trilogy

P.S - pardon the goofy formatting. Not on pc

#33426 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38143 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2021 - 01:52 AM

Some decent offerings at play Asia with free shipping. Use coupon Gematsu for 5% off

Is it wrong to pick up... PS4 CE   

I think you meant to post this link instead of an order link: https://www.play-asi...ombat/13/70csij

#33427 DanteWarrior   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1462 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

DanteWarrior

Posted 02 July 2021 - 01:53 AM

I think you meant to post this link instead of an order link: https://www.play-asi...ombat/13/70csij

You are right. Realized that few seconds before you posted

#33428 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2021 - 02:23 PM

I've been expanding my collection of Level-5 games this week and one of my purchases, Snack World, that I got on ebay showed up yesterday.  I gave that a try so I could pop back on ebay and post a review for the seller (as I got it at a good price and the seller was quick to ship).   Part of the reason I got this is the reviews actually made this look like something I'd enjoy.  I'm not big on dungeon crawlers as a genre but it has a lot of food, pop culture, and gaming humor and the actual action (and humor) reminds me a lot of Cat Quest.  So an easy decision to get it... plus I got a fantastic deal.

Sure enough, I had a great time with it.  There are a lot of systems and terms to learn ... but it was fun (and funny).   Some reviews mentioned you don't need to even run around the town and that was a negative (because why make a town when you can quick travel to all the major locations) ... but those reviewers clearly didn't play the game and read the content provided by the npc's as it's made clear very early on that there are side quests in the town to find and those side quests typically result in upgraded weapons or other stuff that will help with the main quest boss battles.  This is true too as I found the first side quest exploring the town which added it to the quest list.   I like that before you start a quest you can just press a button and it'll optimize your character for the quest.  I can see this coming in handy for later quests as the collection of stuff gets to be overwhelming.   Overall... I'm VERY happy with the purchase.   Yes it makes the backlog grow a bit... but I'm growing it with stuff I will 100% play.

I also grabbed Yo-Kai Watch ($5 at Five Below) and Yo-Kai Watch 2 Fleshy Souls (ebay for under $15 after a coupon ebay gave me).  I played the demo for the first game ages ago and though it was good but at the time I wasn't playing videogames that much so I passed on it.  The second game going the pokemon route with multiple versions also was a turnoff.   I'm not sure if I'll bother with tracking down a complete copy of the third game... it goes for a solid $100 or more.  I can cross that bridge later.

#33429 JohnnySako   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   610 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

JohnnySako

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:45 PM

This morning I received the Scarlet Nexus "5 Weapon DLC" from Bandai Namco for subscribing to e-mails, in case anyone else subscribed and was looking for theirs.

Subject is "Your Weapon DLC code is inside!"

The DLC includes:
Spin Visions Set of 10
Yuito & Kasane Weapon Set "Light" "Thorns" "Saw" "Star" and "Shine"

#33430 Photophonic  

Photophonic

Posted 03 July 2021 - 12:01 AM

Mine arrived to day as well but have not had a chance to give the game a go since redeeming it. 

#33431 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6578 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 03 July 2021 - 06:30 AM

I didn't get an email from them for whatever reason.

#33432 dinsosaurx   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   38 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

dinsosaurx

Posted 03 July 2021 - 11:40 AM

Looking at picking up the blaster master trilogy from play-Asia. Do I have to go with the PS4 Asian released over Japanese if I want English? Asian release is more expensive.

#33433 caggamers  

caggamers

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:08 PM

I'm not sure why some releases are more expensive than others. Ninja Gaiden Master Collection is $44.99 for the Japanese version but $39.99 for the Asian one but I know the Asian one has English so I have no clue.

#33434 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38143 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:10 PM

I'm not sure why some releases are more expensive than others. Ninja Gaiden Master Collection is $44.99 for the Japanese version but $39.99 for the Asian one but I know the Asian one has English so I have no clue.

Not sure if this matters to anyone, but the Asian version is apparently censored--no human characters can be decapitated, only monsters.

#33435 caggamers  

caggamers

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:12 PM

Not sure if this matters to anyone, but the Asian version is apparently censored--no human characters can be decapitated, only monsters.

Thanks for pointing that out. That should be more explicitly stated on the page because I'm sure there's going to be people not knowing that and then getting pissed that they unknowingly bought the censored version.

#33436 DanteWarrior   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1462 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

DanteWarrior

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:33 PM

I thought Japanese version was censored too. Do you have any source that mentions otherwise

#33437 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1023 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:35 PM

The Japanese version offered a "D" version which was censored so it could be sold digitally without the restrictions of the Z rating (which requires verification of identity to purchase) so it does exist.

#33438 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38143 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:35 PM

I thought Japanese version was censored too. Do you have any source that mentions otherwise

Nothing specifically regarding the Japanese version, but I found out the Asian English version was censored from the GFAQs topic: https://gamefaqs.gam...79520388?page=2

#33439 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3377 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 03 July 2021 - 06:32 PM

Nothing specifically regarding the Japanese version, but I found out the Asian English version was censored from the GFAQs topic: https://gamefaqs.gam...79520388?page=2

Fact is the Sigma versions are toned down, regardless, from Itagaki's original versions. Loss of the decapitations is hardly the only change. If you're looking for the "uncut" versions, you need to just go back to NG Black and NG 2.

That all said, I'm not bothered by the loss of decapitations and the other changes in Sigma. They're just such small changes to me that don't affect the overall experience.

#33440 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   845 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 03 July 2021 - 11:03 PM

Apparently decapitations were missing in the NA release as well, at least with NG2, not sure about the other games. Haven't gotten to it myself since I only finished NG1 a few days before Scarlet Nexus came out, but, there was a reddit thread about it. The decaps were added back in with a day one patch.

Don't really know the history of the sigma versions, so no clue if that was a problem with the Vita version as well (which I think is the version the new release is based on?) Either way, found it really weird they'd just be missing even in that version.

#33441 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3377 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 04 July 2021 - 01:04 AM

Apparently decapitations were missing in the NA release as well, at least with NG2, not sure about the other games. Haven't gotten to it myself since I only finished NG1 a few days before Scarlet Nexus came out, but, there was a reddit thread about it. The decaps were added back in with a day one patch.

Don't really know the history of the sigma versions, so no clue if that was a problem with the Vita version as well (which I think is the version the new release is based on?) Either way, found it really weird they'd just be missing even in that version.

I believe Team Ninja came out and said that these are NOT the Vita version.

#33442 Nocturnx99   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   814 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Nocturnx99

Posted 04 July 2021 - 04:14 AM

Sadly, I got my code today and the weapons are already useless to me. I'm last phase of my first playthru

This morning I received the Scarlet Nexus "5 Weapon DLC" from Bandai Namco for subscribing to e-mails, in case anyone else subscribed and was looking for theirs.

Subject is "Your Weapon DLC code is inside!"

The DLC includes:
Spin Visions Set of 10
Yuito & Kasane Weapon Set "Light" "Thorns" "Saw" "Star" and "Shine"

#33443 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2021 - 04:07 PM

I finished Adventure mode in Mario Golf this extended weekend ... which was fun as I played as my Lupin mii... and ended up putting the rest of my game time into Snack World (where my character is Jigen).  That game ticks so many boxes... glad I decided to pick it up.  I finished everything in chapters 1 & 2 and am early into chapter 3.   It took a bit for everything to click but I'm liking the progression in this.   The humor is just my style.  The game doesn't take itself seriously AT ALL... which I love.  I've taken so many screen shots at the funny stuff people say in this game that make fun of the genre, pop culture, and of course food.  I googled to see how many chapters are in this.. and I think I'm going to press on and finish over the next week or two before moving back to focus on other games.  I MIGHT pick up a copy of Fantasy Life next.

#33444 georox   The Captain CAGiversary!   7719 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:10 PM

I finished Adventure mode in Mario Golf this extended weekend ... which was fun as I played as my Lupin mii... and ended up putting the rest of my game time into Snack World (where my character is Jigen).  That game ticks so many boxes... glad I decided to pick it up.  I finished everything in chapters 1 & 2 and am early into chapter 3.   It took a bit for everything to click but I'm liking the progression in this.   The humor is just my style.  The game doesn't take itself seriously AT ALL... which I love.  I've taken so many screen shots at the funny stuff people say in this game that make fun of the genre, pop culture, and of course food.  I googled to see how many chapters are in this.. and I think I'm going to press on and finish over the next week or two before moving back to focus on other games.  I MIGHT pick up a copy of Fantasy Life next.

It's fun but the endgame gets grindy AF. I loved it, but didn't do anything after the more or less ending, because the grind got baaad

#33445 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:13 PM

It's fun but the endgame gets grindy AF. I loved it, but didn't do anything after the more or less ending, because the grind got baaad

That's kind of what I'm expecting.   My only goal is just to finish the story off.  I might play it from time to time after that.. but will move on to something else as my main focus.

I went ahead and grabbed the cheapest complete copy of Fantasy Life on ebay that I could find with a decent seller.  Under $50 total so I'm not feeling too burned in missing this when it was at retail.  I could have waited and sniped a regular auction listing... but that's such a gamble and there are only so many complete copies below $50 as is.

#33446 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1998 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:34 PM

Ys9 is out on PC today. Currently best deal is to get it at Fanatical with code Fanatical18 to take off 18%. It's msrp everywhere else.

#33447 heavy liquid   tastes like burning CAGiversary!   818 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

heavy liquid

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:51 PM

Sadly, I got my code today and the weapons are already useless to me. I'm last phase of my first playthru

Yeah, no kidding! Why did the wait so long to send these out? I'm done with the game already.

#33448 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6578 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 07 July 2021 - 01:22 AM

That's kind of what I'm expecting.   My only goal is just to finish the story off.  I might play it from time to time after that.. but will move on to something else as my main focus.

I went ahead and grabbed the cheapest complete copy of Fantasy Life on ebay that I could find with a decent seller.  Under $50 total so I'm not feeling too burned in missing this when it was at retail.  I could have waited and sniped a regular auction listing... but that's such a gamble and there are only so many complete copies below $50 as is.

That sucks. Should have picked it up when it was under 25 at gamestop albeit cart only last year or so. Or at least of the 2 or 3 copies I ordered all came cart only :/ 

#33449 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2021 - 02:12 PM

That sucks. Should have picked it up when it was under 25 at gamestop albeit cart only last year or so. Or at least of the 2 or 3 copies I ordered all came cart only :/ 

There were some loose cart only options on ebay for around the $25 mark... but I aim for complete copies of games.  I think my entire 3DS collection is all complete games.   The vast majority (high 90% range... maybe 98%?) of what I own is complete.  The main games I have that aren't complete are dude to liquidation sales at gamestop where games were $1 to $3... and that's mostly just PS2, GBA, and DS... but probably only around 20 titles total.

#33450 Twilightsparkle  

Twilightsparkle

Posted 07 July 2021 - 02:22 PM

There were some loose cart only options on ebay for around the $25 mark... but I aim for complete copies of games.  I think my entire 3DS collection is all complete games.   The vast majority (high 90% range... maybe 98%?) of what I own is complete.  The main games I have that aren't complete are dude to liquidation sales at gamestop where games were $1 to $3... and that's mostly just PS2, GBA, and DS... but probably only around 20 titles total.

3ds games keep going up.  I picked up Fantasy Life complete off eBay beginning of May for $34.  
The Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology that I picked up when Best Buy was clearancing it out not even a year ago also has gone up in the secondary market.  It is just insane right now.