* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#33541 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6559 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:56 AM

The game plays terribly part is likely the problem. That and the limited print from what I understand. I've heard it runs poorly on the ps4 and even worse on the switch from this thread come to think of it. 

#33542 Pikagreg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1815 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:30 AM

Disaster Report 4 reminded me of that Japan Sinks series on Netflix where it starts out pretty serious and then goes ham with the JP quirkiness about halfway through. I had a good time with it and would definitely get the next one. It has a Shenmue level of "bad" to it that was kind of charming at times. 

It also has some of the best combat in gaming

#33543 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5739 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:49 AM

Anyone know roughly how NISA tends to discount digital games on PSN over time? Disaster Report 4 is half off, which seems to be an all-time low, though I wouldn’t play it right away so I’m fine waiting if it’s likely to go lower.

#33544 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3866 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:52 PM

The game plays terribly part is likely the problem. That and the limited print from what I understand. I've heard it runs poorly on the ps4 and even worse on the switch from this thread come to think of it. 

I finished the demo of DR4 on Switch and the game played perfectly fine to me.  I enjoyed it enough to pre-order it for switch... though I do still need to play the full game (just saving it for when I'm ready).   It's not a high action experience where performance and framerate is some huge factor.  Game play is borderline a basic point and click where you roaming around a few locations, talk to people, collect stuff, and making decisions in conversation trees.   If the framerate drops some here and there.. I didn't notice.   I think a lot of people that played the demo didn't figure out that you hold one of the R buttons down to run... and it felt slow/sluggish using the default walking speed without knowing how to run.

#33545 Spring Roll  

Spring Roll

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:45 PM

I’m old school and grew up playing consoles and PC games on low specs. The stutter is part of the charm!

#33546 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3866 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:15 PM

Went home during my lunch break and watched an episode of Flight of the Conchords and then finished leveling my pins and characters in NEO TWEWY.    While going between areas I ended up finding one of the rare blue noise a couple times.  I didn't think to stack it but its supposed to have a great drop rate and if you are at 1/15 level and get a 5x stack then the drop rate goes well over 100.   All I have left to do now is just finish the final battle again... though I may just leave it here and see if it's possible to change the difficulty with the full version.  I'll wait till tuesday and see if the local Walmart stores stock it.  They have a listing on the website, though it's not for sale yet.  So no telling if it's web only or will also be in store.

#33547 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1023 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:05 AM

Balan really just took way too long to get going. The costumes available at the start of the game just weren't fun, but when you got to like the 7th level you started getting ones that were useful. 

#33548 Miker525  

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:13 AM

Just wanted to chime in with more love for DR4. Absolutely loved it. Didn't run the best, even on PS4 Pro but damn does that game have originality and soul. I enjoyed the hell out of it and totally wanted more when I finished it. Gave me the biggest Yakuza side story feelings. Hope they eventually make another sequel. Really recommend it.

In regards to Balan I haven't played it yet. With all the hate on it though I'm hoping the price will drop enough for me to pick it up soon. I doubt it's really as bad as all the initial reactions and I'd like to judge for myself

#33549 Pikagreg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1815 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:46 AM

It's crazy how much PS5 helps power through DR4. It runs at like locked 60 when it runs at like 30 with dips on PS4 Pro

#33550 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3866 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2021 - 01:47 PM

Just preordered Neo TWEWY (Switch) over at GameStop.com of all places.   Magnet set is cool (though that wasn't a factor)... they have the game $49.94 right now on sale with free rush shipping.  So came out to just under $55 for me... same as if Walmart had it... but now I don't have to gamble that walmart stocks this game... and being pre-order GS shouldn't f with my copy unlike older stock new games which can come in any condition.

Repeating...

Neo The World Ends With You (Switch) $49.94 w/free rush shipping
https://www.gamestop...h/11137921.html

If gamestop is looking to get my preorder business... that's how you do it.  No club requirement... free shipping... and they throw in a bonus.

I was close to just getting it from BB (they have 2 months of funimation+ as a bonus)... but GS won which is shocking.

#33551 toska  

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:14 PM

how does it run on the switch
havent had the time to play anything lately, believe theres a demo

im sure it will run way better on ps4/ps5 but ocd wants me to get it on switch

#33552 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3866 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:24 PM

how does it run on the switch
havent had the time to play anything lately, believe theres a demo

im sure it will run way better on ps4/ps5 but ocd wants me to get it on switch

The demo played fine on the switch.  No frame drops or other stuff that I noticed... though the game is somewhat basic in the graphics/level department ... so not really surprised by that.  I mainly game on the Switch so I wouldn't even entertain another version. 

PS4 version is also on sale:

https://www.gamestop...u/11137920.html

#33553 Midori Monkey  

Midori Monkey

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:53 PM

I thought Neo TWEWY was going to be an easy pass, but I played the demo when it dropped and fell in love with it.  I had still intended to wait a bit, but at 49.94 I ended up grabbing it.  

#33554 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6559 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:30 PM

I already preordered it during the b3g2.

#33555 super1upqueen   Shinobi Student CAGiversary!   287 Posts   Joined 1.3 Years Ago  

super1upqueen

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:36 PM

I have an in-store pre-order for NEO TWEWY, so I called my local Gamestop and the girl told me that, if it's still $49.94 on launch day, they'll honor the price. If not, I'll have to pay the full $60. I love my local store and the people who work there, but they're real strict about following policy, so in case the price goes back up at launch, I ordered it online. I'll cancel my in-store one and just place the $5 deposit onto something else if it's too close to launch to get it back on my credit card.

#33556 Twilightsparkle  

Twilightsparkle

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:14 PM

I ordered Neo TWEWY via Target during their last B2G1.  They already shipped it, but by FedEx smartpost so who knows when I’ll actually get it.

#33557 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3866 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2021 - 07:29 PM

Glad the NEO TWEWY deal helped some others.  It's so rare I find out about something like this before it hits the net... was cool to share it.

I'm pretty hyped for this release.  I put way more time into the demo than was needed maxing at least one of every pin available and hitting the level 15 limit.  Found more blue noise last night and managed to get a partial stack (reduction) going.   Once this comes in next week, I'll likely be putting all other gaming on hold.

I also played the demos for Captain Tsubasa and Valthirian Arc on Switch last night to decide if these games are worth my time.   Captain Tsubasa ... I didn't make it through the tutorial before I opted out because of the complexity of moves.  My brain just said "no" and I deleted it.  Valthirian Arc gave me vague hints of Actraiser on SNES... as this was a mashup of a top down school management sim mixed with some very basic dungeon crawling where you (the principal) control your students.   I played a few missions and then deleted it.  It's not the worst thing I've ever played but I have sooooo much better.

#33558 Angeru  

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:03 PM

Glad the NEO TWEWY deal helped some others. It's so rare I find out about something like this before it hits the net... was cool to share it.

I'm pretty hyped for this release. I put way more time into the demo than was needed maxing at least one of every pin available and hitting the level 15 limit. Found more blue noise last night and managed to get a partial stack (reduction) going. Once this comes in next week, I'll likely be putting all other gaming on hold.

I also played the demos for Captain Tsubasa and Valthirian Arc on Switch last night to decide if these games are worth my time. Captain Tsubasa ... I didn't make it through the tutorial before I opted out because of the complexity of moves. My brain just said "no" and I deleted it. Valthirian Arc gave me vague hints of Actraiser on SNES... as this was a mashup of a top down school management sim mixed with some very basic dungeon crawling where you (the principal) control your students. I played a few missions and then deleted it. It's not the worst thing I've ever played but I have sooooo much better.

I got the platinum for Valthirian Arc on the Ps4 and the game became boring really quick. You can get quickly OP against enemies or the other way around.

#33559 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   845 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 24 July 2021 - 12:56 AM

Did not realize there even was a preorder bonus for TWEWY at gamestop, that's neat. I have a preorder in store as well so I would like to get 10 bucks back... but yeah not even sure it's worth the hassle of trying.

#33560 caggamers  

caggamers

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:02 AM

Now, is the pre-order bonus separate or is it packaged with the game? Because I remember back in the day when GS would promise you bonuses when pre-ordering the game and then when it came time to pick the game up they would say they never got the bonuses in or didn't get enough for all pre-orders and then would get pissy when you cancelled the pre-order on them because of their false advertising. If it's actually packaged with the game then that's cool. If not I lost my trust in pre-order bonuses years ago.

#33561 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5739 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:59 PM

Anyone know roughly how NISA tends to discount digital games on PSN over time? Disaster Report 4 is half off, which seems to be an all-time low, though I wouldn’t play it right away so I’m fine waiting if it’s likely to go lower.

I’ll be shamelessly bumping my own question now, don’t mind me.

Or do, actually, please and thank you.

#33562 Tothoro  

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:35 PM

Since I prefer physical games I can't really say I've paid enough attention to trends to answer your question, but you can use PSPrices to check for discounts over time. Here's the page for Disaster Report, for example: https://psprices.com...summer-memories

#33563 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3821 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:56 PM

Would anyone know how long Balan Wonderland has been $20 at Gamestop and Target? Trying to decide if I should jump on it.

#33564 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38136 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:46 PM

Would anyone know how long Balan Wonderland has been $20 at Gamestop and Target? Trying to decide if I should jump on it.

Maybe the last two weeks? I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a $10 price somewhere before the end of the year.

#33565 spoderman  

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:00 PM

Maybe the last two weeks? I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a $10 price somewhere before the end of the year.

It's already $12 on Humble store (Steam version with choice discount). It'll be $10 before the end of the year on consoles

Do you have a PS5? I've heard PS4 has performance issues but it runs great on PS5. I think the PC version runs better than PS4 but not sure if it's on par with the PS5 version

#33566 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5739 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:05 PM

Do you have a PS5? I've heard PS4 has performance issues but it runs great on PS5. I think the PC version runs better than PS4 but not sure if it's on par with the PS5 version

I do not. I actually didn’t know there was a PC version, though, I might hold out for that since I only have a PS4 slim.

#33567 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3356 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:08 PM

Yeah the pc version is also tanking.  ~$15-16 through the gmg sale right now and still dropping

#33568 spoderman  

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:12 PM

I do not. I actually didn’t know there was a PC version, though, I might hold out for that since I only have a PS4 slim.

Yeah I would pass unless you plan to get a PS5 in the near future or if you're getting a physical copy to collect. PS4 pro performance is straight up garbage in comparison. I can't find any performance comparison videos with the PC version but there are a few that compare PS4/PS4 pro and PS5 like this one

#33569 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   20363 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:45 AM

DR4 also sounds like a jet engine running on PS4 Pro

#33570 guy3467  

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:28 AM

YMMV, but I picked up a clearenced Ps4 copy at Walmart for $12. It seems to be diving in price most places.