* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#33571 scorponok   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   12 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

scorponok

Posted 25 July 2021 - 04:38 AM

I have a Dragon Star Varnir Steam code and a Dragon Star Varnir Deluxe Pack Steam code that I will never use.  Reply if you use them.

Spoiler

#33572 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1454 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2021 - 04:45 AM

I have a Dragon Star Varnir Steam code and a Dragon Star Varnir Deluxe Pack Steam code that I will never use.  Reply if you use them.

Spoiler

Got it, thank you. Sent you something in return :)

#33573 Spring Roll  

Spring Roll

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:37 AM

Glad to see D4 getting the love it deserves.

#33574 Jiles001  

Jiles001

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:09 PM

If you don't care if its the European version you can get a copy from https://store.nisaeurope.com for about $36, not counting shipping. They have a bunch of games that have gotten expensive if try to get them from ebay or Amazon. I've picked up some pricey games way cheaper from them.

Your amazing. Thank you. Although prelude to the fallen was sold out I did pick up some other limited eds that I didn't have.

#33575 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6574 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 25 July 2021 - 04:11 PM

Wow I'm surprised that the eu versions are so cheap on there. Tempted to pick up lab of refrain.

#33576 Jiles001  

Jiles001

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:08 PM

Wow I'm surprised that the eu versions are so cheap on there. Tempted to pick up lab of refrain.

For some reason they have a limit on the amount you can spend.

#33577 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1454 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:48 PM

Not sure if I missed it being mentioned before, but AI Somnium Files Nirvana CE is up at Best Buy for those who want to get it there: https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6472733

#33578 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   353 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:44 AM

If you don't care if its the European version you can get a copy from https://store.nisaeurope.com for about $36, not counting shipping. They have a bunch of games that have gotten expensive if try to get them from ebay or Amazon. I've picked up some pricey games way cheaper from them.

Appreciate the suggestion about NISA Europe. I never thought to look there for games. Great prices on some of the games. Was able to get 5 PS4 games I had been wanting, but didn't want to pay the amount they are going for on eBay and all the usual gaming outlets. Shipping is the same no matter how many games you buy, so the 20 GBP for shipping 5 games averages out to not too much per game for shipping. Saved a boatload on the games themselves compared to how much I would have to pay doing the eBay or Amazon marketplace thing.

#33579 Josef   Raising Acts! CAGiversary!   13480 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:46 PM

Looks like Disaster Report 4 (for Switch at least) got a reprint?  I see multiple copies from 3rd party sellers on Amazon for around $30 and Play-Asia also has it for $30 (with free shipping and 5% off from one of their many coupon codes).

#33580 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9714 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:37 PM

People around here seem to think that Disaster Report 4 is pretty good.  Is there a reason why it has received such low user and critic scores on metacritic?  Why the huge disparity?  It's not often that a poorly received game receives the kind of discussion that I see pop up on here repeatedly.  There are dozens of niche JP games coming out each year that don't receive this level of attention.  What's the difference?

#33581 superxgaga   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   367 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

superxgaga

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:49 PM

People around here seem to think that Disaster Report 4 is pretty good. Is there a reason why it has received such low user and critic scores on metacritic? Why the huge disparity? It's not often that a poorly received game receives the kind of discussion that I see pop up on here repeatedly. There are dozens of niche JP games coming out each year that don't receive this level of attention. What's the difference?

I thought it's just a meme, that everyone here just piled on for the sake of said meme.

#33582 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5755 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:11 PM

People around here seem to think that Disaster Report 4 is pretty good. Is there a reason why it has received such low user and critic scores on metacritic? Why the huge disparity? It's not often that a poorly received game receives the kind of discussion that I see pop up on here repeatedly. There are dozens of niche JP games coming out each year that don't receive this level of attention. What's the difference?

I haven’t played it, but from what I’ve heard of it, I imagine the discrepancy is mostly because, in spite of being poorly made, it does something that’s both intriguing and pretty different from basically anything else on the market.

#33583 guy3467  

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:23 PM

Appreciate the suggestion about NISA Europe. I never thought to look there for games. Great prices on some of the games. Was able to get 5 PS4 games I had been wanting, but didn't want to pay the amount they are going for on eBay and all the usual gaming outlets. Shipping is the same no matter how many games you buy, so the 20 GBP for shipping 5 games averages out to not too much per game for shipping. Saved a boatload on the games themselves compared to how much I would have to pay doing the eBay or Amazon marketplace thing.

I'm glad to have helped out. Another place to check for games that are getting pricey other places is The Idea factory's website. The North American site has sales pretty often. Also the European site at https://store.iffyseurope.com has some good deals on expensive games. I was able to get multiple games from them for the price of buying one of them off Ebay.

#33584 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:07 PM

In prep for Neo TWEWY, last week i also bit the bullet and grabbed a copy of TWEWY Final Remix for switch ($60+tax on ebay).  I spent  8 to 10 hours this weekend playing it. 

Spoiler
.  I could have just played my DS copy... but I'm so used to the big screen and it's just super comfortable to play it that way.  People complained about the controls but up until where I'm at now they've been remarkably great.  It's only where I'm at now that I'm starting to feel like it's getting a bit complex for triggering some of the pins and the support character.  Still, I'm glad I opted to just get Final Remix... seeing these graphics all huge on the big screen is a treat.  I will put this on hold though when Neo TWEWY shows up.  Tracking from GS says Wednesday.   As good as TWEWY is on DS and Switch... the new battle system is a nice step up.  Especially using the pro controller.   It uses a similar team dynamic strategy to what I grew to love in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and XC2 Torna.

#33585 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4417 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:08 PM

Can anyone recommend some Asia English games or EU games for PS4 that I should get before the free shipping promo ends?

I already have Legend of Mana, Ninja Gaiden Master Collection, Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Fortune, Deadlight Director's Cut, Final Fantasy VIII Remastered, inFAMOUS: First Light, Alienation & Matterfall.

#33586 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38140 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:11 PM

Can anyone recommend some Asia English games or EU games for PS4 that I should get before the free shipping promo ends?

I already have Legend of Mana, Ninja Gaiden Master Collection, Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Fortune, Deadlight Director's Cut, Final Fantasy VIII Remastered, inFAMOUS: First Light, Alienation & Matterfall.

Romancing Saga 3 might be worth preordering: https://www.play-asi...glish/13/70csbt

#33587 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:28 PM

I never thought about tracking down inFamous First Light... sold out on PA though not too bad else where.

#33588 Sporkis   Barley Legal CAGiversary!   1869 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:37 PM

I never thought about tracking down inFamous First Light... sold out on PA though not too bad else where.

If you go the Amazon route for it, I recently picked up a copy off a Amazon Third Party, Gamesource I think it was.  No issues what so ever.

#33589 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3377 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:39 PM

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition (PS4) is one I'd recommend.  $29.99 at Play-Asia.

#33590 caggamers  

caggamers

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:55 PM

Ugh. I've spent too much at Play-Asia this month and you guys are going to make me spend more.

#33591 Shadowmoses12   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1665 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Shadowmoses12

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:50 AM

https://www.amazon.c...chk_typ_imgToDp
Ace attorney back up again

#33592 Jiles001  

Jiles001

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:52 PM

Ugh. I've spent too much at Play-Asia this month and you guys are going to make me spend more.

I used to buy a bunch of stuff from PA but the shipping totals kill me.

#33593 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38140 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:13 PM

I used to buy a bunch of stuff from PA but the shipping totals kill me.

There's a free-shipping promo on all orders (including preorders) that ends on 7/31. That's why Play-Asia was mentioned here.

#33594 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10705 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:55 PM

Imports in general + shipping are expensive. It's why I rarely buy figures (along with the massive price hike they've had in the past few years) and other import goods. Play-asia is always a bit expensive now, but it's still one of the better places to get Asian-English releases like I usually do for the Super Robot Wars games. The free shipping is great and I ordered the newest along with Fatal Frame Asian-English for Switch. For everything Play-Asia does wrong (somewhat lame customer service, wonky pre-orders, high prices), they pack things well enough and give decent shipping information once stuff does ship. Just be warned if you put a pre-order way in advance the package will not ship until everything is in. Stuff may go out of stock and you will likely get screwed. Nonetheless the best time to order is now until the end of July for the free shipping as it pretty much negates a bit of the higher prices for games.

#33595 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   353 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:04 PM

I've pre-ordered a lot of stuff from Play Asia this month. The free shipping promotion is a pretty big money saver. I used to get a lot of Japanese games from Amazon JP since after shipping they would come out a little lower than Play Asia, and get to my house a lot sooner. As of late, Amazon JP shipping rates have gone up quite a bit on games, so Play Asia is now a lot more competitive price-wise. Then with free shipping it makes it a no-brainer to get stuff from Play Asia. Expedited shipping charges for Play Asia are about the same or even a little lower than Amazon JP now.

#33596 Jiles001  

Jiles001

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:22 PM

Imports in general + shipping are expensive. It's why I rarely buy figures (along with the massive price hike they've had in the past few years) and other import goods. Play-asia is always a bit expensive now, but it's still one of the better places to get Asian-English releases like I usually do for the Super Robot Wars games. The free shipping is great and I ordered the newest along with Fatal Frame Asian-English for Switch. For everything Play-Asia does wrong (somewhat lame customer service, wonky pre-orders, high prices), they pack things well enough and give decent shipping information once stuff does ship. Just be warned if you put a pre-order way in advance the package will not ship until everything is in. Stuff may go out of stock and you will likely get screwed. Nonetheless the best time to order is now until the end of July for the free shipping as it pretty much negates a bit of the higher prices for games.

Any recommendations on what to pick up? I'm mainly looking for games not available in the U.S.  

#33597 wbc1228   huh?! CAGiversary!   2896 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:48 PM

Any recommendations on what to pick up? I'm mainly looking for games not available in the U.S.  

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Scarlet  :D/

https://www.play-asi...guage/13/70cf2x

jk just buy something you want to play or collect/throw onto shelf (no idea what idiot would do that...i need to hide in corner) 

#33598 Josef   Raising Acts! CAGiversary!   13480 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:02 PM

I mostly collect for Switch and have been focusing this sale mostly on the Square Enix titles that aren't getting a US physical release (Romancing Saga 3, Legend of Mana, etc).

#33599 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10705 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:57 PM

I mainly get games I know wont get physical releases here, such as the Atelier game trilogies on the switch. I recommend the Super Robot Wars games if you like turn based strategy games. There is quite a few with the majority on the PS4 and some of the newer ones also for the Switch. The S-E ones not in the US that are available are good choices too (Romancing Saga 3, Legend of Mana, FF games on Switch (7-9)). Maiden of the Black Water is not coming out physically in the US. Some good games are out of stock/print like Gundam Breakers 3 complete (play this over New Gundam Breakers). There are lots of shooters that are digital only in the US like I believe the new Cotton collection is. Lots of JPN games also have English subs such as the Ace Attorney Trilogy, some visual novels. You can search by Asian English and also for English subs as well. There is a whole lot for sure. My highest recommendations are the Super Robot Wars series, but I know they're pretty niche.

#33600 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1998 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:33 PM

Just preordered Neo TWEWY (Switch) over at GameStop.com of all places.   Magnet set is cool (though that wasn't a factor)... they have the game $49.94 right now on sale with free rush shipping.  So came out to just under $55 for me... same as if Walmart had it... but now I don't have to gamble that walmart stocks this game... and being pre-order GS shouldn't f with my copy unlike older stock new games which can come in any condition.

Repeating...

Neo The World Ends With You (Switch) $49.94 w/free rush shipping
https://www.gamestop...h/11137921.html

If gamestop is looking to get my preorder business... that's how you do it.  No club requirement... free shipping... and they throw in a bonus.

I was close to just getting it from BB (they have 2 months of funimation+ as a bonus)... but GS won which is shocking.

Dammit I missed this. I wish they auto adjusted my preorder price since I had it preordered at gamestop since last month.