* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#33661 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6578 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:09 PM

In case anyone missed the other thread and gs thread they have a sale 5 for 50 on preowned 19.99 and under.  A number of ps4 rpgs are still in stock. Sadly sakura wars was already oos as for 10 I was gonna pick it up. Oh well.  I did get judgement and fist of the north star at least along with gun girls online fatal bullet. 

#33662 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:00 PM

I used to get pretty excited for those GS deals but my local store (the other one closed) had a pretty small selection when I went in there last and no way I'm doing an online order for a bunch of games that'll probably be cart only (as I mainly buy for switch).  Pretty sure I have all the ps4 games I want except maybe grabbing a physical import of InFamous First Light

#33663 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24253 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:33 PM

In case anyone missed the other thread and gs thread they have a sale 5 for 50 on preowned 19.99 and under.  A number of ps4 rpgs are still in stock. Sadly sakura wars was already oos as for 10 I was gonna pick it up. Oh well.  I did get judgement and fist of the north star at least along with gun girls online fatal bullet. 

Damn, wish I knew this was part of the sale this morning... looks like they jacked up the price all the way to $55 used. Wonder if it being $20 used was a mistake? 

#33664 FlawlesslyFatal  

FlawlesslyFatal

Posted 02 August 2021 - 10:27 PM

Doki Doki delays to September 21st, manufacturing and logistic cited as the reasons for the delay.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

#33665 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6578 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:03 AM

Damn, wish I knew this was part of the sale this morning... looks like they jacked up the price all the way to $55 used. Wonder if it being $20 used was a mistake? 

Nah as stuff selling out then being restocked at a higher price is pretty typical for them.  It was probably just an overlapping sale/price match from another retailer since they do that now sometimes without requiring the manual price matching stuff. 

It sucks too since I already had it in my cart the night before but I guess I should of checked before going to bed that the sale was up since it wasn't around 1am where I am. 

#33666 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1023 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:41 AM

Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists  :switch:  is available new from Amazon for $24.99 and Walmart for $26.34. 

Lulua $48.99 Amazon

It's not in stock at Gamestop and Best Buy

#33667 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:09 PM

Might not be niche enough... but Monster Hunter Rise (Switch) has dropped to $39.99 over on gamefly:
https://www.gamefly....er-rise/5025771

It's gamefly where used is pretty much like buying a new open copy.

Neo TWEWY... put a few more hours into it last night.  Wow what a great experience.  I don't want to spoil anything for anyone that is interested... but what a step up from TWEWY and TWEWY:Final Remix.  Nothing against those games, they are both excellent, but Neo just hits it out of the park in every department for me.  The music, the battle system, the controls, the game world is soooo much better in 3d (easier to navigate, more interesting terrain/elevations, easier to memorize, and just feels right).... and all the new stuff... just amazing.   The QOL improvements ... some of which might be spoilers... my hats off to the developers H.A.N.D.  Seems like lately I've been playing a lot of games they either fully developed, ported, or had a huge part in developing.

Side note, I had a part for my washer to buy over on amazon and went through my wishlist and picked up a few odds and ends as well as an EU physical copy of InFamous First Light.  So I think I'm back to no ps4 games I want until we get another game in the Yakuza family or something odd I want that isn't on switch.

#33668 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24253 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:41 PM

Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists  :switch:  is available new from Amazon for $24.99 and Walmart for $26.34. 

Lulua $48.99 Amazon

It's not in stock at Gamestop and Best Buy

Wish it was the PS4 version of Lulua. 

#33669 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3367 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:44 PM

How does Nelke run on nsw?  On one hand I've heard that the game is mostly menus.  But still I tend to avoid multiplatform games like this on nsw due to performance.

#33670 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10710 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2021 - 05:43 PM

How does Nelke run on nsw?  On one hand I've heard that the game is mostly menus.  But still I tend to avoid multiplatform games like this on nsw due to performance.

Supposedly runs pretty horribly haha. I've only really played Ryza on the Switch and honestly it ran fine. Obviously there will be a graphical downgrade for that, but still played and looked well enough portably (have all the older ones on the Switch, newer on PS4). Nelke I never bought and looks like one of those games I would get digitally for like $10 at most. Never been into simple city builders.

#33671 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5764 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2021 - 06:56 PM

Sorry not specifically game related, but I figured some people here might have some familiarity with this:

I want to purchase something from Japanese Amazon, but the seller doesn’t seem to ship out of the country. Does anyone know a reliable third party service that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg to get something like that shipped to the states?

While I’m asking, does anyone have recommendations for places to purchase highly obscure, old, untranslated manga?

#33672 Pikagreg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1815 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:00 PM

Started Caligula Effect Overdose the other night (on the 3rd dungeon) and am pleasantly surprised with how much I am enjoying it. The combat is pretty basic even on hard mode and the side quests are very low-effort but the story has been pretty engaging and the music is god tier. 

#33673 FlawlesslyFatal  

FlawlesslyFatal

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:55 PM

I want to purchase something from Japanese Amazon, but the seller doesn’t seem to ship out of the country. Does anyone know a reliable third party service that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg to get something like that shipped to the states?

I used Zenmarket before, ¥300 commission per item + domestic and international shipping. They used to run half off or even zero commission promo here and there , haven't seen any since COVID.

#33674 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1455 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2021 - 01:52 AM

I used Zenmarket before, ¥300 commission per item + domestic and international shipping. They used to run half off or even zero commission promo here and there , haven't seen any since COVID.

Hmm, I haven't used them before but it looks like they offer decent shipping for the Egret II Mini bundle compared to Amazon. I'll have to keep them in mind. Thanks for the suggestion :)

#33675 shosaisyu   Waster of Monies CAGiversary!   274 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

shosaisyu

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:30 AM

Started Caligula Effect Overdose the other night (on the 3rd dungeon) and am pleasantly surprised with how much I am enjoying it. The combat is pretty basic even on hard mode and the side quests are very low-effort but the story has been pretty engaging and the music is god tier. 

Caligula effect is the only bad game I can think of with good music.

I cannot understate how amazing the music is in the game. It's just...the game is a vita game and it shows in every aspect...but whoever designed the gameplay didn't really play the game for more than 10 minutes to realize how broken it is.

#33676 wbc1228   huh?! CAGiversary!   2896 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:04 PM

Brought a "new" Saviors of Sapphire Wings/Stranger of Sword City Revisited from gamestop.

It arrived used w stupid stickers on case.

Not unexpected, still disappointing.

game went OOS at best buy/amazon (was delaying/hoping for a markdown)

#33677 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3872 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:24 PM

That's always the risk of ordering from GS any time after a game launches.  I looked into that combo pack a month or so ago trying to decide if I wanted it or not.  Opted out after watching a few reviews.  Nicely I think I own all the games currently out that I want except Zelda Skyward Sword (Switch)... which I'll just get at Walmart when I'm ready to play it.

#33678 Twilightsparkle  

Twilightsparkle

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:34 PM

Brought a "new" Saviors of Sapphire Wings/Stranger of Sword City Revisited from gamestop.

It arrived used w stupid stickers on case.

Not unexpected, still disappointing.

game went OOS at best buy/amazon (was delaying/hoping for a markdown)

Target still has new copies.

#33679 super1upqueen   Shinobi Student CAGiversary!   289 Posts   Joined 1.3 Years Ago  

super1upqueen

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:13 AM

Just finally started playing Samurai Warriors 5 after finishing Skyward Sword HD (I swear, that game was developed by two teams: the veterans creating some of the best dungeons in the series and a newbie team crapping out an uninspired overworld, horrifically ugly NPCs, and seriously questionable controls). I'm only a few hours in (finished chapter 1 of Nobunaga's story and a few Citadel Mode missions), but I just feel like it's lacking something. The combat is awesome, combining the frenetic pace of the fourth game with new Ultimate skills that are just so satisfying to pull off. But, the story so far is way too fast-paced (you have barely enough time to get to know characters before they're shuffled to a different part of the story and you're expected to feel something for the development when you had no clue who the guy was) and the Citadel Mode is already proving to be a bit of a grind. I was so hopeful that this was going to be the great successor to Spirit of Sanada, but that game just does the personal, single clan focus story so much better. Characters are given a chance to sit down and introduce themselves to the player, and being able to walk around your settlement is a great way to get to know people and immerse yourself in current events. In 5, it's all just menus, so you're never actually living the events to way you did in SoS.

I think the main problem here is that SoS was based on a TV drama (it was made to promote that show), so Koei was able to draw from that program to tell a great story (plus, the story had to be good to properly represent the drama). This new game is an original creation, and it shows that Koei/Omega Force is getting a bit lazy with its storytelling in the main Warriors games. Hell, I was just telling someone on another sub that Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity's story sucked, and though Nintendo was involved with it, it really reeked of Koei's trope-heavy, predictable writing. I know I'm not that far in yet and I will definitely be playing more (I love Samurai Warriors, after all), but it's just a shame that it didn't end up being a successor to my favorite game in the series, despite looking so much like it would be.

With all that said, I adore bishie Ieyasu, plus he's a goddamn beast on the battlefield. Ranmaru's exclusion hurts, but Ieyasu will do as a replacement. Plus, playable Dosan Saito is just a trip. I remember his unique NPC appearance in the first game. It's wild finally playing as him. "Kill the fool...kill the fool..."

#33680 superxgaga   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   367 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

superxgaga

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:41 AM

I think the main problem here is that SoS was based on a TV drama (it was made to promote that show), so Koei was able to draw from that program to tell a great story (plus, the story had to be good to properly represent the drama). This new game is an original creation.

A lot of SW5 is going off the vibe of the 2020-2021 NHK taiga drama, Kirin Ga kuru. Like how Sos off the NHk Taiga drama Sanada-Maru.

#33681 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10710 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2021 - 02:05 PM

Loads of announcements and releases for VNs mainly from Aksys' presentation. Those are about 100% otome games, but I find some of those games have good story and usually excellent art.

Aksys had many announcements and release dates for their VNs. I'll link them all to their VNDB entries and talk about each a bit. VNDB entries are all ages but the site isn't so be warned.

Kimi wa Yukima ni Koinegau

Lover Pretend

Paradigm Paradox

Piofiore Episodio 1926

Dairoku: Agents of Sakuratani releasing December 2021

Olympia Soiree release September 9, 2021

Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi releasing October 28th, 2021 (Dungeon crawling Experience-developed RPG). PS5 release planned for 2022.

Variable Barricade releasing February 2022

Kimi wa Yukima ni Koinegau takes place in the Edo era and has a shogun fighting against monster attacks. A girl named Suzuno discovers a power where when she sees a black thread a bad fate is incoming. The villagers drive her away and she finds non-human characters and some romance. Very nice art, though likely not for me without a good discount, although I do love me some Edo era games.

Lover Pretend has the protagonist Chiyuki, a university student, doing part-time work. She has dreams of becoming a scriptwriter and finding a father she never met.  She lands a job as an assistant to a script writer and ends up being cast in the role of the love interest. This role is pretend love, and will she be able to create a script about fake love without knowing love herself? This sounds very typical but I actually like visuals and it probably is a cute one. Likely a buy.

Paradigm Paradox has our protagonist Yuuki Takanashi being completely bored as a student. One night she decides to leave her dorm and ends up in the neighboring colony of the enemy Vermin. She finds out she has a secret power that makes her a hero. She ends up then doing a student by day hero by night lifestyle. Looks OK enough although the art is just OK. Lower priority of these for me.

Piofiore Episodio 1926 is a fandisc sequel taking place after the good and true ends. I haven't played the first, but own it. Will likely get and it comes out Summer 2022.

Quereate released their ecchi visual novel IdolDays. This one has a delinquent girl who aims to transform into an idol. An 18+ patch is available. Their games have some of the highest chances to be bundled, so I'll likely wait although it sounds like a fun albeit short one.

Steam

18+ Patch (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Honey*Honey*Honey was launched by Johren. A Steam release with an 18+ patch is releasing August 13, 2021. In this game sexual harassment countermeasures came 30 years ago. Now opposite sexes interactions are dictated by the government. In a world where they must always be 6 feet apart, sexual activity requires authorization, but there is a loophole. The protoganist and 3 girls are going to shape the future of these laws, and the guy wants to keep them away, but they want to cling onto him. The art is done by the same artist as Marco & The Galaxy Dragon (really good art). Maybe not a super high want, but looks like fun, and if I find time I'll buy and play it.

Steam

Johren (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Johren also launched both Primal Hearts 1 and 2. Both star a student (not the same one) who comes into an academy and is accosted by two student councils. These student councils don't get along and the incoming protagonist is the tie breaker. One is about tradition and one is about innovation. I'm sure romance and hijinks ensue in both games. The second takes place six years later and I believe has cameos from the first game. Both are on sale 20% off until August 12, 2021. Bought both and will play both and give some impressions.

Johren Primal Hearts 1 (NSFW)

Johren Primal Hearts 2 (NSFW)

VNDB Primal Hearts 1 (NSFW)

VNDB Primal Hearts 2 (NSFW)

Mangagamer is releasing Uchikano - Living With My Girlfriend August 26, 2021. The protagonist Tachibanaki Keisuke just started working and is feeling lonely living alone. He wants a girlfriend and one day his childhood friend Mataoi Ayame arrives at his doorstep. Her parents moved abroad for work and she needs to stay behind to take her college entrance exams. Of course they live together and romance blooms. Very typical and looks like nice art. Just 1 girl from MOONSTONE. I do like playing these, but they're usually lower priority for me. Has a launch discount.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

#33682 super1upqueen   Shinobi Student CAGiversary!   289 Posts   Joined 1.3 Years Ago  

super1upqueen

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:29 PM

A lot of SW5 is going off the vibe of the 2020-2021 NHK taiga drama, Kirin Ga kuru. Like how Sos off the NHk Taiga drama Sanada-Maru.

Then I guess they're just phoning this one in compared to Spirit of Sanada. Maybe NHK didn't need the ratings boost as much lol

#33683 Twilightsparkle  

Twilightsparkle

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:41 PM

Loads of announcements and releases for VNs mainly from Aksys' presentation. Those are about 100% otome games, but I find some of those games have good story and usually excellent art.

Aksys had many announcements and release dates for their VNs. I'll link them all to their VNDB entries and talk about each a bit. VNDB entries are all ages but the site isn't so be warned.

Kimi wa Yukima ni Koinegau

Lover Pretend

Paradigm Paradox

Piofiore Episodio 1926

What’s interesting is that Lover Pretend is not the usual type of otome that Aksys brings over.  It is pure fluff.  So they are expanding their offerings.

But in addition to this some others are dipping into the otome market.  Idea Factory is bringing Cupid Parasite over in the fall and they will also bring Birushana Senki and one other title they can’t announce yet (hoping it’s My Next Life as a Villainess).

PQube just released Bustafellows and said they’d license more otome if it did well.  

I hope this doesn’t lead to market over saturation though.  

#33684 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10710 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:46 PM

I need to play Bustafellows for sure, and likely get a physical copy since they're running a bit dry. Looks pretty good. It's a bit of oversaturation, but Otome seems to be selling in some niche, which is good.

#33685 superxgaga   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   367 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

superxgaga

Posted 07 August 2021 - 06:01 PM

Then I guess they're just phoning this one in compared to Spirit of Sanada. Maybe NHK didn't need the ratings boost as much lol

Kirin[ had alot of problems during production, from Covid, to replacing female lead (the actress for Nohime was changed after 11 episode was filmed, she was arrested for drug abuse and other crap) then the show was cut from 60 episodes to 48, then a 6 months pause on the production.

I believe it's also the first modern Taiga drama series that had mitsuhide as the leading character, and plus the JP/CN community is filled with memes about the yearly honouji BBQ, and the implied homosexual relationship between Nobunaga and Mitsuhide etc.

The game has really good art, but overall not the best in the series.

Was gonna order the 250 dollar ikki something edition from play-asia during free shipping last month, then I read some reviews on the asian forums.

#33686 super1upqueen   Shinobi Student CAGiversary!   289 Posts   Joined 1.3 Years Ago  

super1upqueen

Posted 08 August 2021 - 12:06 AM

Kirin[ had alot of problems during production, from Covid, to replacing female lead (the actress for Nohime was changed after 11 episode was filmed, she was arrested for drug abuse and other crap) then the show was cut from 60 episodes to 48, then a 6 months pause on the production.

I believe it's also the first modern Taiga drama series that had mitsuhide as the leading character, and plus the JP/CN community is filled with memes about the yearly honouji BBQ, and the implied homosexual relationship between Nobunaga and Mitsuhide etc.

The game has really good art, but overall not the best in the series.

Was gonna order the 250 dollar ikki something edition from play-asia during free shipping last month, then I read some reviews on the asian forums.

Wow, that's all really interesting. I had no idea the game was drawing from a drama plagued by so many issues. I've seen people online say that the story never really gets better, so I'll just have to enjoy the gameplay and all its chaos. Worst case scenario, I can finally get to Persona 5 Strikers to satisfy my hack and slash bloodlust if Samurai Warriors 5 starts overstaying its welcome. Still, I waited so long for this game, it's a shame it isn't more exciting.

#33687 superxgaga   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   367 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

superxgaga

Posted 08 August 2021 - 01:27 AM

Wow, that's all really interesting. I had no idea the game was drawing from a drama plagued by so many issues. I've seen people online say that the story never really gets better, so I'll just have to enjoy the gameplay and all its chaos. Worst case scenario, I can finally get to Persona 5 Strikers to satisfy my hack and slash bloodlust if Samurai Warriors 5 starts overstaying its welcome. Still, I waited so long for this game, it's a shame it isn't more exciting.

Oh yea I too was waiting long time for SW5(SW is my favorite from the warrior genre) been a fan since the first one on PS2, Plat'd all 4 games on PS4. Hopefully with the reboot, koei will make stronger sequels.

I plat P5S last year(bought the asian version), it's very fun, the core gameplay it's still much like P5, where u go talk, collect clues, buy gears/supplies then palace, combat starts with very heavy warrior style game-play, but by endgame, you would just spam more skills as you get/fuse more powerful personas. Story is good, the new phantom thief members are awesome and the music kicks ass(especially the remix songs).

#33688 Jiles001  

Jiles001

Posted 08 August 2021 - 04:15 PM

Just finally started playing Samurai Warriors 5 after finishing Skyward Sword HD (I swear, that game was developed by two teams: the veterans creating some of the best dungeons in the series and a newbie team crapping out an uninspired overworld, horrifically ugly NPCs, and seriously questionable controls). I'm only a few hours in (finished chapter 1 of Nobunaga's story and a few Citadel Mode missions), but I just feel like it's lacking something. The combat is awesome, combining the frenetic pace of the fourth game with new Ultimate skills that are just so satisfying to pull off. But, the story so far is way too fast-paced (you have barely enough time to get to know characters before they're shuffled to a different part of the story and you're expected to feel something for the development when you had no clue who the guy was) and the Citadel Mode is already proving to be a bit of a grind. I was so hopeful that this was going to be the great successor to Spirit of Sanada, but that game just does the personal, single clan focus story so much better. Characters are given a chance to sit down and introduce themselves to the player, and being able to walk around your settlement is a great way to get to know people and immerse yourself in current events. In 5, it's all just menus, so you're never actually living the events to way you did in SoS.

I think the main problem here is that SoS was based on a TV drama (it was made to promote that show), so Koei was able to draw from that program to tell a great story (plus, the story had to be good to properly represent the drama). This new game is an original creation, and it shows that Koei/Omega Force is getting a bit lazy with its storytelling in the main Warriors games. Hell, I was just telling someone on another sub that Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity's story sucked, and though Nintendo was involved with it, it really reeked of Koei's trope-heavy, predictable writing. I know I'm not that far in yet and I will definitely be playing more (I love Samurai Warriors, after all), but it's just a shame that it didn't end up being a successor to my favorite game in the series, despite looking so much like it would be.

With all that said, I adore bishie Ieyasu, plus he's a goddamn beast on the battlefield. Ranmaru's exclusion hurts, but Ieyasu will do as a replacement. Plus, playable Dosan Saito is just a trip. I remember his unique NPC appearance in the first game. It's wild finally playing as him. "Kill the fool...kill the fool..."

Hopefully they do another empires spin off. Always loved those games.

#33689 super1upqueen   Shinobi Student CAGiversary!   289 Posts   Joined 1.3 Years Ago  

super1upqueen

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:47 PM

If I hear that Nobunaga is "reckless" one more time, I swear to God...

#33690 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10710 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2021 - 02:16 AM

Mangagamer made some announcements at Otakon.

Mangagamer Blog (NSFW)

Erovoice (NSFW)

Love Sweets (NSFW)

Namaiki Dark Elf Sisters (NSFW)

Seventh Lair (NSFW)

Erovoice is from ClockUp and is about a guy who is late finding work after college and ends up at an ero voice company that is small but growing. It's similar sounding to their other game Eroge Sex and Games Make Sexy Games, which was a fun one. An easy buy.

Love Sweets from Moonstone is about a guy who enjoys his Spring break but comes back to find all his friends now have girlfriends. Feeling left behind he goes and works part-time at a cafe where hopes to meet girls. I'm a sucker for these and usually have fun with them, so it's an easy purchase. Also the games usually have decent comedy.

Namaiki Dark Elf Sisters is from Waffle and is about a half human/half elf guy who is discriminated against. One day the sword of prophecy decides that he will bring good fortune for many years for dark elves. After this his sisters are ordered to bear children for him. I like Waffle games, and this will be an easy buy.

Seventh Lair from Novectacle is a spinoff of House of Fata Morgana and stars an indie developer who is pressured by his fans to release a game. He says he will release it on April 1st and him and some fans get sucked into this game. I still need to finish that game, but this will be a likely buy.

Great announcements from one of my favorite localization companies.