* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#34111 shosaisyu   Waster of Monies CAGiversary!   277 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

shosaisyu

Posted 20 October 2021 - 11:13 PM

Caligula Effect 2 CE was hit by delays also. I'm beginning to think this delayed-game shit is pretty much now just the norm. Unfortunate.

#34112 Tothoro  

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:02 AM

Honestly it doesn't bother me that much as long as the companies make a reasonable effort to communicate and make amends where warranted. With Arise and Neptunia x Senran, I get to play the full game and have the option of keeping the CE sealed. Really feels like they're going above and beyond in those cases. Plus I'm being kept up-to-date and have pretty high confidence my items will arrive undamaged. 

Like I noted earlier, the limited print model (and LRG specifically) is moreso what does bother me. I won't rant here (there are other threads for that, after all) but it really feels like night and day in how customers are treated.

#34113 CheapAssDragon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   447 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

CheapAssDragon

Posted 21 October 2021 - 04:47 AM

Caligula Effect 2 CE was hit by delays also. I'm beginning to think this delayed-game shit is pretty much now just the norm. Unfortunate.

I’m still waiting for GameStop to ship my regular edition even though they have some in stores.

#34114 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3946 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, they've been showing the port of Los Angeles in the news recently and how backed up container ships are for unloading and then how the trucking industry is short of drivers to move stuff.   So... at least for the moment expect delays.   I think it's possible Nintendo is shipping carts by air to publishers that do their retail packing in the states... which is why regular switch games are showing up from LRG before the PS4 versions (which standard copies are all retail packed overseas by sony).  I would imagine some of these smaller traditional publishers also pack over seas and then slow ship by boat.

EDIT:

Not sure how good a deal this is but Gamefly has used copies of Ys IX Monstrum Nox Pact Edition for Switch at $39.99 .
https://www.gamefly....edition/5024812

#34115 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3946 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:24 PM

Also not my cup-o-tea... but Gamefly has Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny Unrelenting Edition (Switch) for $34.99

https://www.gamefly....edition/5025768

#34116 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6819 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:57 PM

Both are alright sales if you missed the GameStop buy 3 G2 sale. Though disgaea usually drops pretty quick. Ys 9 will probably be hard to get cheap especially since gs no longer has the 20-30% off used for new games purchases iirc.

#34117 TheKbob   Rock On, Duder CAGiversary!   1550 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:50 PM

Also not my cup-o-tea... but Gamefly has Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny Unrelenting Edition (Switch) for $34.99

https://www.gamefly....edition/5025768

Waiting for either a PS4 or Steam version.  It runs just so poorly on Switch (from what all the reviews and videos I have watched), that I cannot see getting that version of the game.  Hoping it's a timed exclusive.

#34118 shosaisyu   Waster of Monies CAGiversary!   277 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

shosaisyu

Posted 22 October 2021 - 03:50 PM

Waiting for either a PS4 or Steam version.  It runs just so poorly on Switch (from what all the reviews and videos I have watched), that I cannot see getting that version of the game.  Hoping it's a timed exclusive.

Ps4 version is already out in japan and probably never coming here because Soyny's SJW localization brigade is preventing it, so best we can hope for is a PC version

#34119 Pikagreg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1830 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:22 PM

Is anything in Disgaea 6 even bad enough to censor? 

#34120 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1377 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:25 PM

It's ESRB T rating, I doubt that's the case this time. Sony was also cracking down on releases in Japan with their extra content restrictions which makes me more doubtful that's the case here.

#34121 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10813 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:46 PM

I love my Switch but I hate how some games run and look on it. Some like RAD play OK enough but are pixelated ugliness. Some like Disgaea 6 are lucky they are turn based because it runs poorly. I fear for Rune Factory 5 as well, because if I remember the JPN Switch release didn't run too well. Unoptimized poop shouldn't be the norm.

#34122 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10813 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:55 PM

Lots of new interesting VN and eroge releases this week.

To start JAST USA released Sweet Sacrifices. This one has a lot of tentacles and demons and stuff. It's about sacrificed princesses and some saint that is taken as a pawn by the devil. It is two smaller games bundled together. This isn't my forte, but it's someone's for sure.

JAST USA Store (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Shiravune released Saimin Gakushū: Secret Desire. In this one you are a guy who is humiliated by the student council president and is slapped in front of everyone for being a lazy bum I believe. He gets angry and starts studying hard, but realizes he is way too lazy, so he downloads a hypnosis app. He aims to make this girl his first victim when he realizes it works. He also aims for another student, a teacher and his own mother. These type of eroges are also not my forte, but can be OK. There is a 20% off price and it's only available on Johren.

Johren Store (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Shiravune is also releasing Alice Soft's Dohna Dohna next Friday 10/29. It's also only coming out on Johren. This is pretty awesome and if you haven't played an Alicesoft game they are usually RPG games with lots and lots of eroge elements. I quite liked Evenicle and most like the Rance games. This one has a cool look and has futuristic stuff which is good enough for me. An easy purchase.

VNDB (NSFW)

An eroge game with a strong reputation came out as well. This is Abaddon: Princess of the Decay. I believe this is a remake of an older release. This I believe is a horror RPG or something. It's out on Fakku and itch.io. I may play it someday to see the hype, as it's compared to Sweet Home, which is a classic.

Fakku (NSFW)

itch.io (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Nekonyansoft released Renai Karichaimashita: Koikari - Love For Hire. This is more my style and has some comedy with a guy who is a siscon. His sister says she wont go to college unless he does, so he goes for jobs to earn some money. He finds high playing ones which sound like a scam, and he gets to fill different roles for the job like a brother, a pretend boyfriend and some other stuff. This has great art and is available to purchase at many places. I buy these on Steam, but it's on JAST USA, Denpasoft, and Mangagamer. A 10% discount is available right now. Also provided is an 18+ patch for the Steam version. Easy buy!

Steam

18+ Patch (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Also Letters From a Rainy Day -Oceans and Lace- was released on various platforms. It is all ages yuri VN about girls in an all girls school in Japan. Looks aight. There is a 15% release discount.

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

#34123 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8847 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 24 October 2021 - 03:11 PM

So looking into collecting the Trails of Cold Steel series since it's the last PS4 era JRPG series I want to collect. Is there any reason to buy the PS4 versions over the PC version or vise versa? Debating if I want to go hunting the PS4 discs or get them on Steam sale.

#34124 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3527 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:31 PM

So looking into collecting the Trails of Cold Steel series since it's the last PS4 era JRPG series I want to collect. Is there any reason to buy the PS4 versions over the PC version or vise versa? Debating if I want to go hunting the PS4 discs or get them on Steam sale.

Since I have these on all versions, I'd say there are pros and cons to each.  Both versions are overall good experiences, and should be played over ps3/vita if possible.

CSI-CSII
ps4:  updated UI & higher res elements.  cosmetic dlc included. draw distance still not great. nice steelbooks, but expensive now.
pc: more settings to tweak, such as higher resolutions & unlimited draw distance.  less modern/optimized UI.  dlc available but not included. moddable.

CSIII-IV:  These are more clearly superior on PC if you have the hardware to run them well.  PC versions were released later and still have higher sale prices than console.  The physical LE's are nice but the standard editions only have nisa's lame "art booklet" for ants.

#34125 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8847 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:34 PM

Since I have these on all versions, I'd say there are pros and cons to each.  Both versions are overall good experiences, and should be played over ps3/vita if possible.

CSI-CSII
ps4:  updated UI & higher res elements.  cosmetic dlc included. draw distance still not great. nice steelbooks, but expensive now.
pc: more settings to tweak, such as higher resolutions & unlimited draw distance.  less modern/optimized UI.  dlc available but not included. moddable.

CSIII-IV:  These are more clearly superior on PC if you have the hardware to run them well.  PC versions were released later and still have higher sale prices than console.  The physical LE's are nice but the standard editions only have nisa's lame "art booklet" for ants.

Thanks, i'm running a RX-570 as my GPU so I can run all of them on Steam fine. I will look to see if I can find the PS4 versions of 1-2 for cheap if not i'll consider the PC route. For 3-4 i'll consider Steam. I don't mind having multiple systems for games.

#34126 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6819 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:50 PM

It's also worth noting that the PS4 versions have save Carry over to the other ones for little extras, and the PS4 versions of cs1 and cs2 include the fixed voice work and other stuff that the PC versions later got. It's really noticable in cs1 since rean the main character has scattershot voice work where he's mute the one moment then talks the next in the same scenes where everyone else is fully voiced including nameless npcs.

Also there's switch version of 3 and 4 in case you are interested. Not sure if or when 1 and 2 will be ported.

#34127 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6819 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 25 October 2021 - 02:33 AM

https://www.gamestop...switch/11098856 cs3 29.99 on gamestop for those interested. 

#34128 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10813 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:35 PM

Here's some quick thoughts on Renai Karichaimashita: Koikari - Love For Hire. First of all the voice acting is excellent, the graphics are well drawn and the UI is nice. The story itself is quite a bit shallow, but makes up for it with a lot of comedy. I feel two of the girls are the main routes and the other ones aren't as they they get almost a second common path just for them. There is a lot of jokes and some of them are good fun. All the main characters have quirks and some are pretty funny and unique. This isn't a game for those expecting a serious story. I did the twins route only so far and it pretty much just ended whenever and the epilogue was near garbage. It had no depth but had a bunch of quirky fetish twins. It's a good game, though I feel not a great one. It will not leave any impression on me after I'm done unless the main characters routes are good. The teacher's route is next and I expect it to be cute, but nothing special. There other localized game Sankaku Renai: Love Triangle Trouble I feel was also a bit shallow but had funnier characters and maybe a tiny bit more deepness as well. It is about a 7/10 but comes recommended at least.

#34129 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6819 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 26 October 2021 - 04:20 AM

https://www.gamestop...teel-iii/205953 is 15.99 for the ps4 version preowned at gamestop. too bad its a buck over as you could pair it in the 3 15$ titles for 30 deal they supposedly have going. 

#34130 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3946 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2021 - 01:36 PM

More gamefly price drops... not rating these as deals as much as just reporting interesting stuff that might fit with this thread...

SMT3 $29.99 https://www.gamefly....emaster/5028996

Zengeon $17.99 https://www.gamefly....zengeon/5025301

#34131 toska  

Posted 26 October 2021 - 01:49 PM

akibas trip is 25 bucks on there too

assuming you get the extras with it too

could go lower

#34132 eXTechno   Techno CAGiversary!   465 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

eXTechno

Posted 26 October 2021 - 03:41 PM

My Senran x Neptunia code was emailed to me today

#34133 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3946 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2021 - 04:04 PM

akibas trip is 25 bucks on there too

assuming you get the extras with it too

could go lower

Yeah I only follow the switch stuff (still $35)... but it's a pretty good deal on the PS4 version for $25:

https://www.gamefly....briefed/5021911

#34134 Gameboy415   16-bits of awesome CAGiversary!   3556 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:19 PM

https://www.gamestop...teel-iii/205953 is 15.99 for the ps4 version preowned at gamestop. too bad its a buck over as you could pair it in the 3 15$ titles for 30 deal they supposedly have going. 

Wtf...I just picked up a pre-owned copy at a local store for $29.99 back on 10/15.

I thought it was relatively hard to find (I haven't seen a physical copy in a long time) and definitely didn't expect it to be almost half price less than 2 weeks later!

Oh well, at least it came with all the 'Early Enrollment Edition' bonus stuff and is in excellent condition.

#34135 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3946 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2021 - 06:25 PM

Zengeon sold out quick... pretty much about as fast as when I posted that Disgaea 6 deal.

Other than Nino Kuni 2 on the switch I already own pretty much everything I think I currently want.  When it hits $25... I'll grab a copy.  If I completely miss it for some reason I won't be upset as I have plenty to play.

#34136 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1377 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 26 October 2021 - 07:56 PM

I opted to go with the standard edition of Neptunia x Senran Kagura.

I took advantage of the Gamestop offer of renewing PowerUP Pro for $9.99 + get enough bonus points for signing up for a $10 cert and had enough for $10 stashed already.

I wasn't sure if I'd get the monthly $5 one for October, but I figured I'd give it a try and pre-order from them.

They didn't get it in and aren't sure when they will :P

In their defense they said they could transfer my preorder to another store that did have one in stock, I just didn't want to drive out to it.

#34137 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1463 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:27 AM

My Senran x Neptunia code was emailed to me today

Same. Now to decide what to do with it lol

#34138 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6819 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:31 AM

Wtf...I just picked up a pre-owned copy at a local store for $29.99 back on 10/15.

I thought it was relatively hard to find (I haven't seen a physical copy in a long time) and definitely didn't expect it to be almost half price less than 2 weeks later!

Oh well, at least it came with all the 'Early Enrollment Edition' bonus stuff and is in excellent condition.

I already have my copy from when they did the 50% off sale a while back for around this price ^_^.  cs3 has a lot of copies compared to 4 but they did start to dry up for a time probably due to inventory issues and stock drying up. Since these are supposedly coming from the warehouse in texas odds are they are returns so whether they will be complete or not is as usual ymmv.

#34139 Mangydogg  

Mangydogg

Posted 27 October 2021 - 05:35 AM

More gamefly price drops... not rating these as deals as much as just reporting interesting stuff that might fit with this thread...

SMT3 $29.99 https://www.gamefly....emaster/5028996

Zengeon $17.99 https://www.gamefly....zengeon/5025301

Probably worth holding off on SMT 3 as it'll probably go to $19.99 on BF new. It will probably also get a sale given SMT 5 is coming out next month.

#34140 Gameboy415   16-bits of awesome CAGiversary!   3556 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:47 AM

I already have my copy from when they did the 50% off sale a while back for around this price ^_^.  cs3 has a lot of copies compared to 4 but they did start to dry up for a time probably due to inventory issues and stock drying up. Since these are supposedly coming from the warehouse in texas odds are they are returns so whether they will be complete or not is as usual ymmv.

I stopped by a different store today and was able to get a price adjustment of $14 back on my trade card! :D

I noticed this store also had copy of the game so I'm thinking it might be a stealth reprint situation (like Gravity Rush Remastered). Both my copy and the copy I saw today were in like-new condition aside from the right edge of the spine being scraped up (which I've heard is how Gamestop opens sealed games).

Either way I got the game for $15.99 in the end so I'm happy! :)