* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#35371 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   7420 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 23 May 2022 - 07:20 PM

Hmm, I bought a couple of those tracks in the past, but didn't get most of them. Do you mind sharing about how much you spent to get them all?

I got 60 notifications from nintendo so 50 something dlc songs + all dlc characters. 8 cents tax per so 4.80 was the tax and 59.40 for the eshop credit so 64.20 total. Woof. And there's still a lot I don't have yet and will get at another time. 

#35372 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1495 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:06 PM

I got 60 notifications from nintendo so 50 something dlc songs + all dlc characters. 8 cents tax per so 4.80 was the tax and 59.40 for the eshop credit so 64.20 total. Woof. And there's still a lot I don't have yet and will get at another time. 

Wow, woof is right lol. Thanks for the food for thought :)

#35373 TheKbob   FakeyBro™, Esq. CAGiversary!   1866 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2022 - 10:44 PM

I think I have all I want from the 3DS either in physical or from the eShop.

If you narrow it down to not include what you can play on Switch or Steam, it's a bit more wallet friendly.

#35374 super1upqueen   Shinobi Student CAGiversary!   378 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

super1upqueen

Posted 24 May 2022 - 01:15 AM

I'm still salty they didn't localize the dq theaterhythm game either.  Thinking about importing that as even in jpn I probably could play through it well enough.  But it's probably too late, expensive and i dunno if they have region lock or not. Usually dlc is region locked bare minimum. 

I'm furious we never got Dragon Quest Theatrhythm, and because the 3DS is region locked (and the DLC, which was free in Japan btw, is also region locked), it's too much of a pain in the ass to import it. We can only hope they'll port it to the Switch.

Pocket Card Jockey is great

If you'll all indulge me, I have a wonderful story about that game. I was on my honeymoon in January 2017, when they dropped the Nintendo Switch pre-orders (I stayed up until 4am in the hotel to pre-order that and scared my husband when I woke him up to tell him I got it lol). Well, the eShop was doing a big sale in honor of the upcoming Switch presentation and Pocket Card Jockey was on sale. Curious about the game, I bought it and planned to play it and Dragon Quest VIII 3DS when we got home from out honeymoon.

Halfway through the trip, I started to feel like I was catching a cold. We were at Disney World, so I wasn't surprised I caught something. I managed to enjoy the rest of my honeymoon, despite feeling pretty awful on the last day, and when we got home, I went to bed early. The next morning, I felt like I had been hit by a truck, and thus began a three-week long illness I could only describe as Death Flu. I was coughing so hard and so much I thought my lungs were making their way out and I could barely sleep despite being so exhausted from all the coughing and body aches. I'd get up late in the morning, just to fall asleep on the couch a few hours later. Needless to say, I was in no shape to play a long JRPG like Dragon Quest, but I was able to start Pocket Card Jockey.

That game was my saving grace during that illness. It helped keep my mind working and lift my spirits, and when my husband would get home from work, if he didn't find me asleep, he'd find me playing "Horse Game," as I managed to call it in my stupor (and still call it to this day). Pocket Card Jockey is a great, addictive game on its own, but it holds a special place in my heart for helping distract me from one of the worst illnesses I've ever experienced.

Moral of the story: make absolutely certain you've got your flu shot before going to Disney World, and buy Pocket Card Jockey!

#35375 beenaround  

beenaround

Posted 24 May 2022 - 01:45 AM

We didn't get DQ theater rhythm or Fortune Street. Both irritate me but at least we got the FF TR. :(

#35376 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   7420 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 24 May 2022 - 04:03 AM

["Dragon Quest Theatrhythm, and because the 3DS is region locked"]

well damn there goes any shot of importing it then.

#35377 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1495 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2022 - 04:45 AM

["Dragon Quest Theatrhythm, and because the 3DS is region locked"]

well damn there goes any shot of importing it then.

If you don't mind hacking your 3DS, I believe you can remove the region locking or at least change your region

#35378 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   7420 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 24 May 2022 - 01:31 PM

nah i'm not good at stuff like that ^

anywho finished getting the rest of the song dlc so another 40 something songs. so around 100+ eshop credit with tax being around 8.xx.  But out of pocket it only cost me 45 at least. 

#35379 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5707 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 25 May 2022 - 06:32 AM

Over in the PSN deal thread someone asked this:

Probably the wrong place to ask but i am running out of option, people on ps5 reddit ignore my question.

I got a problem. I purchased the Lost Judgment season pass after it go on sale but i am issue lauching the game after. It is like after i press play, it is just stuck there and then ps5 power down when i try to exit the game. When i power back on it say repairing the hdd i tried delete and reinstall, same issue. I then try installing the game without network and after the game install from disc it work fine. Then I turn on the network and download the update and the dlc then it stop running again.
And yes i try my other disc game and they work. I conclude somehow the game update somehow to run on my ps5.

i did everything including reset the system and rebuild the data base and I even get my hand on anotrher copy of the game fpr ps5. What I discovered was it is not the dlc that cuase the issue but the 1.11 patch. I did a small test where i install the game without the network. Once it is installed, the game run fine. I then install the kaito file without the 1.11 patch, it work but the dlc won;t work without the 1.11 patch. I then install the 1.11 patch and the game fail to run. I even use another copy of the game and still failed. My only other hope is to get a hand on ps4 copy. Is there any kind of possibility to get psn to refund the cost of the dlc so i cna buy it on xbox instead?

What can potentially cause this issue? none of my other disc game have issue like this. I don;t think it is my ps5 having issue since this is the only game that cuase it.

I'm thinking I'll just get the PS4 version if the patch is questionable.

#35380 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1498 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 25 May 2022 - 05:46 PM

https://www.nintendo...switch-tomorrow

I really like seeing all these Neo Geo Pocket Color games keep coming - Biomotor Unitron comes out tomorrow

I think it would require Ubisoft's approval potentially? But Evolution: Eternal Dungeons is basically the only one missing I would still want at this point.

#35381 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   7420 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 25 May 2022 - 08:15 PM

Get $10 when you spend $5+ three times ($30 max), and get $10 the first time you spend $40+. when you pay via PayPal qr code via the app at giant eagle chain stores.

#35382 Soma_Cruz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1686 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 May 2022 - 11:29 PM

https://www.nintendo...switch-tomorrow

I really like seeing all these Neo Geo Pocket Color games keep coming - Biomotor Unitron comes out tomorrow

I think it would require Ubisoft's approval potentially? But Evolution: Eternal Dungeons is basically the only one missing I would still want at this point.

This looks interesting but not must buy like the card game was. I'll get it later down the road if there is no volume 2 collection. I wouldn't mind getting the games separately instead but vol. 1 had Dark Arms which still can't be bought individually so I'm concerned vol. 2 will have another exclusive.

#35383 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1498 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 26 May 2022 - 04:20 PM

Project Diva Megamix+ did in fact come out on Steam today!

https://store.steamp..._DIVA_Mega_Mix/

It has a Future Tone Visual option.

https://noisypixel.n...l-style-option/

I hope it still has the PlayStation button icons option, my brain doesn't handle the Nintendo ones as well

#35384 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1498 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:40 AM

Persona Q and Persona Q2 have reprints at VGP.ca if anyone is interested in them:

https://videogamespl..._eid=54b44290f0

$34.99 CAD -> ~$27.50 USD

$54.99 CAD -> ~$43.22 USD

They got a reprint of Tales of the Abyss too:

https://videogamespl...ef49c7705&_ss=r

$59.99 CAD -> ~$47.15 USD

That Yuri VN I can never remember how to spell (Yumeutsutsu) that was mentioned here recently for being on sale for PC is getting a Switch physical version distributed by LRG with an open pre-order period starting in a few days. Both games for $59.99

https://limitedrunga...re-after-switch

#35385 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   7420 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 28 May 2022 - 04:02 AM

I bought them despite owning q1 and q2 digitally for fomo/just in case purposes. Hopefully the carts actually fricken work and stay working. Since q1 is notorious for being a bad print and atlus no longer provides the digital replacements. 

#35386 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24681 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 May 2022 - 01:06 PM

Persona Q and Persona Q2 have reprints at VGP.ca if anyone is interested in them:

$34.99 CAD -> ~$27.50 USD

$54.99 CAD -> ~$43.22 USD

They got a reprint of Tales of the Abyss too:

https://videogamespl...ef49c7705&_ss=r

$59.99 CAD -> ~$47.15 USD

That Yuri VN I can never remember how to spell (Yumeutsutsu) that was mentioned here recently for being on sale for PC is getting a Switch physical version distributed by LRG with an open pre-order period starting in a few days. Both games for $59.99

https://limitedrunga...re-after-switch

I'm curious as to how there's still reprints on 3DS games- I thought they stopped 3DS game production? 

#35387 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   7420 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 28 May 2022 - 02:53 PM

I'm curious as to how there's still reprints on 3DS games- I thought they stopped 3DS game production?

They said these are the final print in the email.

#35388 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24681 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:21 PM

They said these are the final print in the email.

Ah, I see. 

#35389 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   11179 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 May 2022 - 05:59 PM

NekoNyanSoft's next game is the fan disk to Kinkoi: Golden Loveriche called Kinkoi: Golden Time. The first game is a must play IMHO and easily my favorite VN of last year. It was beautiful and had great graphics, characters, 1 ultra weak whatever route, a great true route, and another girl who deserved a route but didn't get one (Jougasaki Ayaka). Luckily the fan disk corrects this and she and one of the main characters sister gets a full route. I think this fan disk is a kind of alternate conclusion to the previous game. I can't wait for it. I'll let everyone know when it's due to come out, and they usually get a discount on release.

Steam Page

VNDB (NSFW)

#35390 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   11179 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2022 - 04:00 AM

Play-Asia put up quite a few pre-order links. Remember there is free shipping at $99.

The one I'm most highlighting is Witch On The Holy Night a remake of a Type-Moon visual novel. It releases December 8th in Japanese on PS4/Switch, but has English and other subs for that release.

River City Saga: Three Kingdoms also has an Asian English release for Switch coming July 21st, 2022.

Overlord: Escape from Nazarick has a Japanese release with English subtitles for Switch coming June 16th, 2022. This one is metroid-vania type game.

Sword and Fairy: Together Forever is the latest in that series coming to PS5/PS4 and has an Asian English release coming August 4, 2022.

Needy Girl Overdose Japanese edition has English subs coming to the Switch on October 27th, 2022.

Wife Quest [Limited Edition] is the current EastAsiaSoft release only releasing for the PS4 coming June 2022. This one costs about $7.99 on the PSN and this cost $35. I don't think I see the value in this one, but I'm just mentioning it.

Also Love Kami Trilogy Regular and Limited Edition are set to release on Switch from EastAsiaSoft coming June 2022 as well. The limited cost $10 more.

#35391 TheKbob   FakeyBro™, Esq. CAGiversary!   1866 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2022 - 04:39 AM

You missed the Klanoa remake, as well. I am trying to cut back on physical stuff and I downsized my Switch library as I wait for my Steam Deck.

Not much on PA that isn't available on Steam, so I wait for the next free shipping sale.

#35392 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24681 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2022 - 12:46 PM

You missed the Klanoa remake, as well. I am trying to cut back on physical stuff and I downsized my Switch library as I wait for my Steam Deck.

Not much on PA that isn't available on Steam, so I wait for the next free shipping sale.

Completely forgot that was happening... any word on if it'll get a physical US release? 

#35393 zahvee  

Posted 30 May 2022 - 01:21 PM

Completely forgot that was happening... any word on if it'll get a physical US release?

Digital only for US. EU and JP have physical copies.

#35394 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24681 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 May 2022 - 03:13 PM

Digital only for US. EU and JP have physical copies.

Figures... I honestly don't get why so many games skip physical release in NA. I've always heard how the internet infrastructure in this country sucks compared to EU/JP so you'd think we'd get more physical releases. 

$55 shipped on Amazon UK.. oof. 

#35395 Twilightsparkle  

Twilightsparkle

Posted 30 May 2022 - 03:14 PM

Play-Asia put up quite a few pre-order links. Remember there is free shipping at $99.

The one I'm most highlighting is Witch On The Holy Night a remake of a Type-Moon visual novel. It releases December 8th in Japanese on PS4/Switch, but has English and other subs for that release.

River City Saga: Three Kingdoms also has an Asian English release for Switch coming July 21st, 2022.

Overlord: Escape from Nazarick has a Japanese release with English subtitles for Switch coming June 16th, 2022. This one is metroid-vania type game.

Sword and Fairy: Together Forever is the latest in that series coming to PS5/PS4 and has an Asian English release coming August 4, 2022.

Needy Girl Overdose Japanese edition has English subs coming to the Switch on October 27th, 2022.

Wife Quest [Limited Edition] is the current EastAsiaSoft release only releasing for the PS4 coming June 2022. This one costs about $7.99 on the PSN and this cost $35. I don't think I see the value in this one, but I'm just mentioning it.

Also Love Kami Trilogy Regular and Limited Edition are set to release on Switch from EastAsiaSoft coming June 2022 as well. The limited cost $10 more.

Does anyone know if Amazon Japan has a listing for Witch on the Holy Night?  And a link if they have one?  

#35396 Tothoro  

Posted 30 May 2022 - 03:24 PM

Does anyone know if Amazon Japan has a listing for Witch on the Holy Night?  And a link if they have one?  

Nothing yet. You'll want to search for 魔法使いの夜 or Mahōtsukai no Yoru to find it when it's live but as of now it just brings up CDs and merchandise.

#35397 elessar123  

Posted 30 May 2022 - 08:51 PM

The listings are there. Search under video games and not software.

Here's one of the PS4 Versions.

#35398 Tothoro  

Posted 30 May 2022 - 09:35 PM

The listings are there. Search under video games and not software.

Here's one of the PS4 Versions.

I was just searching from the homepage, but now I'm able to see it searching the same way I was earlier. Weird, guess either the indexes or listings updated at some point today.

#35399 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   11179 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2022 - 05:30 AM

Guess not a popular announcement, but Romancing Saga - Minstrel Song - Remastered is coming out this Winter for PS4/5, Switch, Steam and iOS/Android.

#35400 nagpo  

Posted 01 June 2022 - 06:17 PM

ill be getting it