* * * * - 24 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#17641 ar4757   Makoto x Joker is canon CAGiversary!   747 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:02 PM

Honestly, you're not going to get a lot of difference in quality of combat between any of the versions of P3 or P4, though I don't remember if they'd implemented party direct commands by FES or not. 

That's the whole reason those that prefer P3P prefer it over FES though - FES doesn't have it

For what it's worth, I played Persona 4 Golden up until a mid-game boss, couldn't beat it, dropped the game for Persona 3 Portable then played all the way through it, then returned to P4G afterward and beat that. I had no problem with P3P's overworld being 2D, still loved it and prefer the game overall to P4G.

Now for the picture of the day:

51984_v.gif                                           I8AllDaBadgerz.png

#17642 Potatoeman  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

That's the whole reason those that prefer P3P prefer it over FES though - FES doesn't have it

For what it's worth, I played Persona 4 Golden up until a mid-game boss, couldn't beat it, dropped the game for Persona 3 Portable then played all the way through it, then returned to P4G afterward and beat that. I had no problem with P3P's overworld being 2D, still loved it and prefer the game overall to P4G.

I liked P3P but having played 4 and 5, having no cutscenes and completely cutting some of the animation sequences really doesn't do the game justice. Having played both versions, I think some of the most important moments in the game are lost out on because they don't have the cutscenes or 3d models. Still a great game, and no doubt the combat alone is a reason to pick it over the PS2 releases, but I still prefer FES.

#17643 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   9473 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:51 PM

I could help you with the 50 throw techs if you want, it'll only take like a round to get. I was able to get it with Taiga as the enemy, while backing myself into the corner. She goes for throws a lot if you keep blocking her attacks.

The other harder trophy is 500 reflective guards, since the CPU never wants to attack you sometimes. Just spamming a multi-hitting move should be easy.

Managed to get them. I only need 10 million damage now lol

I cheesed Survival Mode with Selvaria and her Lance Blasts. :lol:

#17644 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3602 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:55 AM

Maybe I just overoptimize my MC personae, because past level... 15 or 20 or so, my party's basically useless outside of all out attacks and occasional cleanup duty in every version of Persona 3 or 4, direct commands or not. Fights rarely seem to last past the first turn. That being the case, I'd rather have non-combat benefits in those games than moderate QoL combat changes.

#17645 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   9473 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:03 AM

Once you get Yoshitsune with all Null on almost every element and Hassou Tobi, you're pretty much set. :lol: 

#17646 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   2451 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:04 AM

I played vanilla P3 I think until about the blackout boss fight.  Put it down, played P4G, then started P3P and played to completion. Perhaps in my mind, since I had explored so much of the 'overworld' in vanilla P3, I never felt like I missed anything in P3P. Having the cutscenes VN style is a minus, but not a huge one. I started playing FES, and just got distracted. I dont think any of the versions is the *definitive* one to play, they all have their plus and minuses, none of which are game-breaking. I think it's more personal choice than anything.

If you want to see the animated versions of the cutscenes, I think they are all on youtube anyway. 

#17647 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   9473 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:06 AM

I want Persona 3 on PS4 so I can get trophies tbh. (well, to see if I can get the platinum)

#17648 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:43 AM

I can't blame people for not liking p4 as much since they took out alot of the good things from 3.  the money and exp shuffle cards, dungeon commands so you could sick your party members on enemies.  They did get rid of the awful reaper though being a randomly spawning enemy while exploring so that was a major plus at least.

Currently on the look out for a decent price on Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness.  

#17649 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   39710 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:20 AM

I can't blame people for not liking p4 as much since they took out alot of the good things from 3.  the money and exp shuffle cards, dungeon commands so you could sick your party members on enemies.  They did get rid of the awful reaper though being a randomly spawning enemy while exploring so that was a major plus at least.

The story and characters are also worse in P4

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community.  

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

It's because of pillars like you, I remain in this community.  Thank you!

Spoken like a true pillar. The community sends its many thanks.

How dare you speak to the pillar of our community that way. If he says you're a closet vita fan he knows what he's talking about.

#17650 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   5954 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:37 AM

couldn't agree more.  I always thought P4 was a bit overrated, mostly in the characters department. 

Naoto and Rise were pretty cool though. 

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#17651 pjmomo   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   222 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:38 AM

not sure if you guys have seen this. it's 2 months old.

kiki's all grown up. it's only a min long and worth a watch. for the ghibli fans.

#17652 Raw_Orangejuice  

Raw_Orangejuice

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:46 AM

Is this just a commercial? Kiki's is actually my favorite Ghibli movie.  I find it odd because the animation is kinda dated compared to the rest of the collection I own.  

kiki's all grown up. it's only a min long and worth a watch. for the ghibli fans.

#17653 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   9473 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:46 AM

At least they started going out? lol

#17654 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2619 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:56 AM

couldn't agree more.  I always thought P4 was a bit overrated, mostly in the characters department. 

Naoto and Rise were pretty cool though. 

I also agree. I couldn't stand most of P4's characters, Rise was okay, and it took P4G's Marie for me to actually like one. Although my favorite is Labrys from P4A if that counts.

I think P5 had the best cast though, even more so than P3 (but maybe it's because I played most recently), but I couldn't even find a character is disliked, not even Ryuji.

Also wanted to add to someone mentioning The Answer in P3 FES before. Honestly, 99% of it is a waste of time, but Metis is really cool, and the ending is pretty good, and it's the epilogue of P3 that most fan's needed. Although the definitive ending of P3 is actually in Elizabeth's story in P4A.

So my advice to skip the terrible and long hours of dungeon grinding is just to watch the beginning and ending cutscenes on Youtube. There's a lot of character development for Aigis that ties into P4A too. I'd even go on to say, if Persona 3 was like FFXIII, then The Answer would be XIII-2, and P4A/P4U is Lightning Returns. So definitely look into that, since Persona 3's story doesn't end with the first game/P3P. There's a whole lot you miss if you only play P3P.

Check out my new album! BRW Tries Español (Horribly)

Flips Won't Die - Suckira     Incognito - BRW Fonsi Ft. Nico Yazawa

Check out the CAG Backloggers Anonymous Group! Game of August: Final Fantasy Type-0

AWD Unboxing Video      AWD Unboxing 2: The Revenge     Nier Automata: Black Box CE Unboxing

#17655 thorbahn3   Everyone talks too much! Super Moderators   4093 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:59 AM

Here are some final fantasy dissidia NT beta codes for PS4. https://na.square-enix.com/us/gamereg

BEPOXA-393-VACUGU-292

NEXOWE-993-ZOJEMO-292

CAXOXE-711-YAMUJO-067

CAGUXA-291-YAFEXU-072

DACOXE-261-TACUWU-293

DEXUXA-961-VOJEJO-059

VAXOXA-233-ZOPUGO-272

TEGUPA-913-TOFEXU-097

FANUNE-361-ZOVUZU-253

NAGOXA-331-VAFEMU-253

DENOWA-213-ZOPUJU-252

BAWOWE-233-TAPEMO-279

TEPUWE-963-ZAJEWU-293

TENUPA-933-VAPUJU-279

PAPOWE-733-TAFEMU-059

#17656 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   3656 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:07 AM

Here are some final fantasy dissidia NT beta codes for PS4. https://na.square-enix.com/us/gamereg

BEPOXA-393-VACUGU-292

Thank you! Used this one, much appreciated.

NnZPC5V.png

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#17657 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   9473 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:29 AM

TEGUPA-913-TOFEXU-097

used this one

#17658 EvraiTerrule  

EvraiTerrule

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:35 AM

VAXOXA-233-ZOPUGO-272

Used this one, thanks much!

#17659 Gershomcz  

Gershomcz

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:45 AM

TEPUWE-963-ZAJEWU-293 

Got this one. Thank you!

#17660 SolidSnake86   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1380 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

SolidSnake86

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:49 AM

DENOWA-213-ZOPUJU-252

Thanks for posting! Used this one!

Horizontal-Banner-copy-e1469133668735.jp

#17661 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3602 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:35 AM

I'd say story is worse, but characters are better.

Though P3's main character beats P4's hands down.

#17662 The Hawk  

The Hawk

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:54 AM

DACOXE-261-TACUWU-293

Thanks used this code.

#17663 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3602 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:57 AM

FANUNE-361-ZOVUZU-253

Miraculously, this was still available. Grabbed it.

I've, uh, never been in a closed beta test before. Are there some sort of actual responsibilities beyond reporting weird bugs or whatever? The legalese in the agreement is pretty thick for my tastes.

#17664 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   442 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:04 AM

Here are some final fantasy dissidia NT beta codes

NEXOWE-993-ZOJEMO-292

Thanks grabbed this one

qnwz8j.jpg

:ps4: Overwatch/Bloodborne/Transistor   ::   :vita: Valkyrie Drive Bhikkuni  ::   :3ds: Pokemon Moon

#17665 tsoul   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   368 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:19 AM

Darn, came here too late and all the codes are taken alreadt

#17666 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5141 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

Outside of the new Uncharted game, there isn't much new this week. Although I will recommend checking out Mages of Mystralia to see if it would catch your interest. No demo for it unfortunately.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Hop Step Sing! Kimamani☆Summer Vacation (HQ Edition) (VR / Music)

Weekly Releases (August 20th - August 26th)

New Super Mario Bros. 2 2DS Bundle
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Platformer / Handheld Console
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Just a 2DS bundle pack with NSMB2. Comes pre-installed.

Ys Origin (LRG Release)
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Quantity of 3,000 for the CE per platform. Standard edition will be manufactured based on demand.

Asdivine Hearts (LRG Release)
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Quantity of 3,800 per platform.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Adventure / Third-Person Shooter
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: It's talked about here on occasion, so I figured I'd add it.

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy
- Platform(s): PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Genre: Fighter
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Collection of HD Remasters for Ultimate Ninja Storm 1-4.

Mages of Mystralia
- Platform(s): PS4, Xbox One
- Genre: Action-Adventure
- Comments: Previously released on PC. Decent reviews on PC. Not Japanese. Getting a future LRG release.

Destiny of Blood
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Chinese dev? Early access.

MagiCat
- Genre: Sidescrolling Platformer
- Comments: Indonesian dev.

Mahjong Challenge
- Genre: Puzzle
- Comments: Dutch dev.

SwapQuest
- Platform(s): PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Genre: Puzzle / RPG
- Comments: Not Japanese. Port of a mobile game.

Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Previously released on Vita.

鸿源战纪
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Chinese language only.

ShineG In The Zombies
- Genre: Sidescroller / Shooter
- Comments: Chinese language only.

Past Releases
August 13th - August 19th
August 6th - August 12th
July 30th - August 5th
July 23rd - July 29th
July 16th - July 22nd

8/21 EDIT: Added in LRG listings for Ys Origin & Asdivine Hearts.

#17667 Supplice   Hmph CAGiversary!   3920 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time Gets 30 Minutes of Anime-Like PS4 Gameplay

Spoiler

Another half hour of Nights of Azure 2 footage

Spoiler

Sakamoto wants to make another 2D Metroid if given the opportunity and fans are interested

LEVEL-5  might have teased Inazuma Eleven Ares for Switch

Pokken Tournament DX demo on the way

#17668 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8626 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:30 PM

Amazon warehouse deals had DQ VIII for the 3DS for $24 shipped so I decided to bite. I figured might as well grab it now before I forget about it again. I been wanting to play that for years now anyway (even though it's going to be backlog).

125063.png808669.png
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#17669 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3479 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:21 PM

Are beta Dissidia codes going out? I remember signing up for it a while back. 

#17670 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   442 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:31 AM

Sakamoto wants to make another 2D Metroid if given the opportunity and fans are interested

There is no uncertainty as to fan interest. Nintendo just needs to green light this.

qnwz8j.jpg

:ps4: Overwatch/Bloodborne/Transistor   ::   :vita: Valkyrie Drive Bhikkuni  ::   :3ds: Pokemon Moon