* * * * - 24 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#18661 Supplice   Hmph CAGiversary!   3984 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:03 AM

Lost Sphear demo out now on the Japanese Switch eShop

Japanese Lost Sphear demo footage

Spoiler

Final Fantasy XV director says no official plans for Switch version, exploring the system from a technical side

Intelligent Systems says experience from Fire Emblem Heroes will help with work on future games

Attack on Titan 2 details, screenshots

Fire Emblem Warriors – more TGS 2017 gameplay

Spoiler

Tokyo Clanpool demo now available in Japan - DL

Square Enix’s “Left Alive” Gets New Concept Art and Screenshots Showing City in Ruins and Mecha

#18662 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   484 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

Green Man Gaming has the PC version of Blue Reflection for $42.49 on pre-order. Best Buy still hasn't shipped my PS4 physical unless they bundled it with Senran Kagura and didn't update the order status from "Preparing"

#18663 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1651 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

Green Man Gaming has the PC version of Blue Reflection for $42.49 on pre-order. Best Buy still hasn't shipped my PS4 physical unless they bundled it with Senran Kagura and didn't update the order status from "Preparing"

I'm worried that the steam price is gonna be $60. They did that with Warriors All Stars where GMG had a retail price of $50 and steam was $60. If you want the bonus DLC costume, you have to buy it from steam in the bundle. If it's too much, I might just pass on the bonus costume and get it from GMG. I have to hope for a 20% discount on the bundle.

#18664 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5182 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

I can't confirm this is 100% true right now, but it most likely is based on past experience. Koei Tecmo is likely fucking over PC gamers again with Blue Reflection. It seems the game's 2D assets are locked to 1280x720 while the PS4 assets are at 1920x1080.

https://steamcommuni...15865226661101/

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We prepare 2D images basically on the resolution of 1280*720 for BLUE REFLECTION Steam version, meanwhile 1920*1080 for PS4 version.
Therefore, if you play in the environment where the resolution is larger than 1280*720, the images are shown as stretched. We hope you will accept this.
We will consider conforming 2D images to a larger resolution, but cannot promise. We trust that you will understand our position in this matter.

We would like to close our correspondence for your inquiry.

So just a heads up before purchasing the PC version. Pretty sure one of the two Atelier games (maybe both) on Steam had 1080 normal assets, but the UI assets were in 720 which made them blurry when using any resolutions that was 1920x1080 or higher. Whereas the PS4 version was 1080 without any issue and as sharp as they should be, not to mention it had basic things like ambient occlusion that was never added to the PC version.

May also be just lost in translation if Koei Tecmo's customer service is that bad with English. Probably both though. Koei Tecmo just fails at 95% of their PC ports.

#18665 Supplice   Hmph CAGiversary!   3984 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

Attack on Titan 2’s Platforms for the West Announced: PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC

Nintendo confirms Fire Emblem Warriors DLC for the west, game’s amiibo support detailed

Spoiler

Killing Bites game no longer in development

The Charming Booth Ladies of Tokyo Game Show 2017 Will Brighten Your Monday

#18666 BMXJouster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1063 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

I can't confirm this is 100% true right now, but it most likely is based on past experience. Koei Tecmo is likely fucking over PC gamers again with Blue Reflection. It seems the game's 2D assets are locked to 1280x720 while the PS4 assets are at 1920x1080.

Why am I not surprised?  KOEI TECMO really despises PC gamers it seems.  They want our money enough to start porting games over to the platform, but not enough to make them proper ports (and in a case like this, make ours inferior to the console version for what feels like no reason).

What's even sadder is the number of people in that Steam discussion thread that are clearly bothered by this, but say they'll still be buying it anyways.  I understand being willing to buy an inferior port of a game, but I would never pay full price for it.

#18667 Tora Chan   Making gainz and taking names CAGiversary!   588 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

When the Nioh Complete Edition releases in Japan, would we be able to play it in the US with English you think?

Travis2310.png

#18668 TooPoor   ∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price CAGiversary!   11012 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

Both AoT2 and Atelier Vita versions did not make it out of Japan. 2018 is ruined. Why not at least digital? The translation is already there.

Oh and also Blue Reflection and Omega Labyrinth.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List Currently inactive, no time to play any games _(:3」∠)_

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#18669 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36061 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

When the Nioh Complete Edition releases in Japan, would we be able to play it in the US with English you think?

Wait another week or two and Koei will probably announce it for us.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :switch: LoZ: Breath of the Wild :3ds: M&L: Superstar Saga :ps4: The Evil Within 2; Nex Machina; Shadow of War :ps3: TLoH: Trails of Cold Steel 2 :vita: Ys: Memories of Celceta

Last Beaten/Completed Console/Portable Games: :ps4: Shadow of Mordor GotY (4.25/5 :3ds: Metroid: Samus Returns (4.25/5)

#18670 cloudmd23   Tojo Clan Member CAGiversary!   167 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

Say if someone was planning on going to Japan/in Japan, what would be good games to keep an eye out for to play regardless of system?  Mainly ones with lower language barriers, but also interested in collectors pieces.

When I was in Japan almost a couple of years ago now, I picked up EX Troopers on PS3 for ridiculously cheap and was able to get through most of it (couldn't understand the cutscenes though obviously). It's a Lost Planet spinoff that never got localized. Tales of VS (a Tales of series 4 player fighting game) for PSP was dirt cheap and easy to play. I had also gotten the Tingle Balloon Fight spinoff on DS which I think even has English menus. Jump Ultimate Stars on DS I've been able to muddle through if you like Shonen Jump anime (can confirm Japanese DS games will work on American 3DS).

#18671 dsman3717   Saber is Life CAGiversary!   514 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

dsman3717

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:48 PM

Nintendo confirms Fire Emblem Warriors DLC for the west, game’s amiibo support detailed

Spoiler

So this means Tharja is still a possibility then?!  :D/

ilovehinata.png
Currently Playing: Switch: Mario Kart 8, Zelda: BotW  :ps4: Injustice 2, Akibas Beat, Persona 5   :ps3: Yakuza 5, Yakuza 1&2 HD   :xb1: Dead Rising 4, Battlefield Hardline   :360: Catherine, Tales of Vesperia  :wiiu:  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Twilight Princess HD, Xenoblade Chronicles X   :vita:  Atelier Shallie Plus, Steins;Gate 0, Root Letter   :3ds:  Fire Emblem Echoes, Pokemon Sun, Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice Mobile/Browser games: Fate/Grand Order, Tales of Link, LLSIF, Kantai Collection 

Spoiler

#18672 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7876 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:04 PM

I remember playing the Dynasty Warriors 7 XL port and I think it used PS3 assets or something....those PC ports just stink.

#18673 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   9618 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:27 PM

So this means Tharja is still a possibility then?!  :D/

Probably. 

They'll likely alter her clothing though.

#18674 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2672 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

LbqGb4T.jpg

First thing I see when I click the link. Thank you Supplice, you really brightened my Monday. In fact, it's shining like a supernova right now. 

We were talking about how to make more Yakuza games get localized here with more sales in the West? Just have marketing like this.

So just a heads up before purchasing the PC version. Pretty sure one of the two Atelier games (maybe both) on Steam had 1080 normal assets, but the UI assets were in 720 which made them blurry when using any resolutions that was 1920x1080 or higher. Whereas the PS4 version was 1080 without any issue and as sharp as they should be, not to mention it had basic things like ambient occlusion that was never added to the PC version.

Hmm, why do they even do that? The only reason I can think of is if they want to unify all the PC gamers, even ones with lower-end rigs, but I doubt a couple of higher resolution assets would make a difference.

Just bought a gaming laptop recently, so I've been wanting to get in on all the niche games on PC I've missed.

Check out my new album! BRW Tries Español (Horribly)

Flips Won't Die - Suckira     Incognito - BRW Fonsi Ft. Nico Yazawa

Check out the CAG Backloggers Anonymous Group! Game of August: Final Fantasy Type-0

AWD Unboxing Video      AWD Unboxing 2: The Revenge     Nier Automata: Black Box CE Unboxing

#18675 NeoMonk  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

FEW Season Pass being $20 is actually palatable, we'll see if the game is actually worth investing on though..  :-

Webp.net-gifmaker777b0.gifezgif.com-resize6bea7.gif

#18676 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4171 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

I would say that it's lazy, but I think that using the PS4 version would be easier than the PS3 version. I would say that they are trying to torpedo the PC version in favor of console, but it doesn't make sense to send a product out with the intent of it dying and being shit. I can't honestly fathom their thought process. I just know that they remain the worst Japanese dev when it comes to PC ports. They are based on older version; they lack PC required settings; they run like crap; they crash constantly. It's really a shame, too, because I'd love to play 'good' PC versions of a lot of their games, and not be stuck with the bloody console version. Maybe they'll pull their head out one day.

My YouTube Channel (Collection updates, games industry commentary, game analysis)

https://www.youtube....HellDestroyer77

My Blog (In-Depth Game/Anime Reviews)http://helldestroyer77.blogspot.com/

My Twitter:https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Complete DVD/Blu Collectionhttp://www.blu-ray.c...id.php?u=102540

#18677 dsman3717   Saber is Life CAGiversary!   514 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

dsman3717

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

So Best Buy shipped my Senran Kagura on Friday but still no word on Danganronpa from them. Wonder if I'll be getting that one tomorrow or not  :-k

ilovehinata.png
Currently Playing: Switch: Mario Kart 8, Zelda: BotW  :ps4: Injustice 2, Akibas Beat, Persona 5   :ps3: Yakuza 5, Yakuza 1&2 HD   :xb1: Dead Rising 4, Battlefield Hardline   :360: Catherine, Tales of Vesperia  :wiiu:  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Twilight Princess HD, Xenoblade Chronicles X   :vita:  Atelier Shallie Plus, Steins;Gate 0, Root Letter   :3ds:  Fire Emblem Echoes, Pokemon Sun, Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice Mobile/Browser games: Fate/Grand Order, Tales of Link, LLSIF, Kantai Collection 

Spoiler

#18678 Pheria   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1091 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

Photos of the Gal*Gun 2 booth:

Spoiler

Posted Image

#18679 Supplice   Hmph CAGiversary!   3984 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:47 PM

First Gal*Gun 2 PS4 Gameplay Shows What Happens When a Schoolgirl Harem Dream Goes Wrong

Spoiler

Spoiler

#18680 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4897 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the link, as my favorite part of CES/E3 over the years was easily the "booth babes". Checking out games early had it's ups and downs, but it was always up when it came to the girls. LOL

#18681 EdJericho   2.5D Seiyuu Fanboy CAGiversary!   676 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

This is missing the most talked about Sonic Forces panel.

tumblr_owqe6hRwaT1qjbhg1o2_1280.jpg

I'm really posting this for Aoi Yuuki, the Hooters Babes are a bonus.

a2JEVSf.gif

#18682 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2672 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the link, as my favorite part of CES/E3 over the years was easily the "booth babes". Checking out games early had it's ups and downs, but it was always up when it came to the girls. LOL

Dean-Winchester-Wink.gif

Check out my new album! BRW Tries Español (Horribly)

Flips Won't Die - Suckira     Incognito - BRW Fonsi Ft. Nico Yazawa

Check out the CAG Backloggers Anonymous Group! Game of August: Final Fantasy Type-0

AWD Unboxing Video      AWD Unboxing 2: The Revenge     Nier Automata: Black Box CE Unboxing

#18683 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5182 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

Hmm, why do they even do that? The only reason I can think of is if they want to unify all the PC gamers, even ones with lower-end rigs, but I doubt a couple of higher resolution assets would make a difference.

Just bought a gaming laptop recently, so I've been wanting to get in on all the niche games on PC I've missed.

It's Koei Tecmo not putting forth any effort in the port plain and simple. The recommended specs are actually on the high side based on what the screenshots and video for the game have shown. It's unfortunately a common theme with Koei Tecmo games. Seriously, 8GB of RAM and an i7 3.4GHz for this game? Wat.

If you want to see an example of Atelier Sophie on the PC vs the PS4 where 2D Assets are at 1280x720 and upscaled to 1920x1080, here:

PC Screen vs PS4 Screen - Alchemy Crafting

PC Screen vs PS4 Screen - Random Environment

Random Cutscene Screenshot comparson Vita (Top) -> PC -> PS4 (Bottom)

It's not terrible by any means, but you can easily notice that it's not sharp for a 2D image. If you are any resolution above 1920x1080 on the PC it gets even worse. The last image shows the lack of things like ambient occlusion that they left out of the PC version which is a very standard setting. I played through Firis on PC and it was very noticeable to me every time I did alchemy or went into the menu screen. It bugged the hell out of me, but I couldn't refund my purchase so I stuck with it.

Since Sophie/Firis was a DirectX 9 game though, you were able to inject things like Ambient Occlusion and other effects into the game client using standard third party tools to help with this. However it never looks as good as settings that are built into the game itself. I probably have a post in this thread talking about injecting some stuff into Firis in some back and forth with motaku96 even.

I'd like to support GUST by buying the game, however Koei Tecmo makes it very hard to do so. Thus I'll likely wait for a hefty discount or completely forget it exists by then and not buy it at all. Granted I wasn't planning on buying at release anyways since Nights of Azure's quality was too low.

I would say that it's lazy, but I think that using the PS4 version would be easier than the PS3 version. I would say that they are trying to torpedo the PC version in favor of console, but it doesn't make sense to send a product out with the intent of it dying and being shit. I can't honestly fathom their thought process. I just know that they remain the worst Japanese dev when it comes to PC ports. They are based on older version; they lack PC required settings; they run like crap; they crash constantly. It's really a shame, too, because I'd love to play 'good' PC versions of a lot of their games, and not be stuck with the bloody console version. Maybe they'll pull their head out one day.

It's actually not on the PS3 at all. So they're either using Vita assets or downsizing their PS4 assets. Either way, yeah, it's pretty ridiculous this is happening. Par for the course with Koei Tecmo though.

#18684 Supplice   Hmph CAGiversary!   3984 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:24 PM

Code Vein Director Touches On the Game’s Difficulty, Character Development, and…Vampires

Spoiler

Interview: Gal Gun 2’s Takuya Aizu, Masanori Ito, and Matt Papa at TGS 2017

Inti Creates on Gal*Gun 2 – will use the gyro sensor, won’t be censored, why it’s on Switch

#18685 Skiry   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   101 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:36 PM

Got my Danganronpa V3 CE today. The bag has some scratch marks on the clasp and the hat has a few tears. I'm not sure if this is intended or not

Spoiler
Spoiler

It's hard to get the scratches on a photo...

=/

I just got mine. I don't have any scratches on the buckle, but my hat does have identical tears.

#18686 sovereignNX-73811   Don't ever be on a boat with Adol Christin CAGiversary!   5655 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:54 PM

Welp, any hopes of Sega actually making a decent Sonic game (on their own without fans) looks to be....wishful at best: 

https://www.sonicsta...on-impressions/

Oh well.  :-

Infamously known to post this gif waaay too much:

Spoiler

Current Playlist: 

Spoiler

#18687 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   39790 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:05 PM

Welp, any hopes of Sega actually making a decent Sonic game (on their own without fans) looks to be....wishful at best: 

https://www.sonicsta...on-impressions/

Oh well.  :-

I guess I'm not really surprised the first level is pretty basic. Like when is it not?

I'm going to get it anyway. I expected to avatar to suck from when it was announced.

Daytime stages in Unleashed are still the best 3D Sonic stages.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community.  

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

It's because of pillars like you, I remain in this community.  Thank you!

Spoken like a true pillar. The community sends its many thanks.

How dare you speak to the pillar of our community that way. If he says you're a closet vita fan he knows what he's talking about.

#18688 Tothoro  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:26 PM

Still waiting on my Danganronpa V3 and Mary Skelter LE shipping confirmations. Is anyone else? Not sure if there's a legitimate issue with my orders or if NISA/Iffy are just taking their time.

COLStraightEdge.png xTOTHORO.png

#18689 elessar123  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:54 PM

My Danganronpa shipped last week, so it might be your order. Unless Mary Skelter was delayed.

Spoiler

#18690 Psyngelic   A Fragile Doll CAGiversary!   286 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:57 PM

LbqGb4T.jpg

First thing I see when I click the link. Thank you Supplice, you really brightened my Monday. In fact, it's shining like a supernova right now. 

Just.. ew. Anything larger than a C cup is just gross.