So I got pretty far into Cyberdimension Neptunia, and I thought I'd share some thoughts on it. My little review won't be as great and detailed as something like Draekon's, Nitrosmob's, or Sovereign's, but I'll try my best to bring up some key points.
So first up, the game is actually, really, really good!
No way right!?
I might be a bit biased since I'm a Neptunia Superfan, but it's the best in the series imo (even though that's not saying much.) Its so good, it actually doesn't even feel like a Neptunia game.
- The graphics are much better in this game than anything previous to it. It probably looks better than most other JRPGs on the market now, maybe with the exception of Persona and Tales of. To compare, the graphics look like Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I've never played BOTW, but from trailers/reviews I've seen it, and the open plains stage looks identical. The grass, water, environment, etc. is greatly improved and looks beautiful.
- Gameplay is very fluid and face-paced. It's still a bit button-mashy, but there's skills, jumping, blocking, parries, dashing, etc. I guess I'd compare it to SAO or Tales of, combat styles, not musou but an Action-RPG. I also think the gameplay is waaay better than the combat in FF15, and that FF15 should've had a system more like this one.
- Character play styles are pretty diverse, each character is a different class, which has a variety skills, and plays their own style. Some are rush down, some keep away, some healers, some buff givers.
- Story is great, first time you actually get to see all 4 goddesses act like sisters, and not enemies or mere companions. The other games, Neptune, Noire, Blanc, and Vert were all separated early on, or weren't really in the game much. Here they interact well, and have some hilarious moments together. Not to go into spoilers, but you are technically playing them, who are also playing themselves in the game. So the 4th wall breaking moments are delightful and plentiful, and you've probably never played a game like that.
- The online is super fun! I would actually love it if the game was an MMO. It's smooth when you find someone with a good connection. There's a neat chat system and you can free-type. Joining/leaving games is quick. And there's exclusive coop missons, so it's not like you replay something you beat, where both friends have to beat it first, like Nioh or DQH2.
Cons: (These aren't really cons, but more like nitpicky little things I didn't like.)
- During dialogue segments, the characters are no longer dynamic, so they don't breath, or blink, or move their lips when they talk. There's slight transitions, but it's more like Persona 5 now. It's understandable, since they had to do all their animation work from scratch with the new costumes.
- The camera sucks. It always gets blocked by trees or branches, or goes into weird angles.
- Loading is a little too long sometimes, especially when you boot up the game.
So overall, it's a terrific game! Not just for a niche game, or for a JRPG. But just in general it's fun and well polished. It stands up to even some AAA titles, like I'll say it's better than FF15 in some ways. So definitely give it a try! And feel free to ask if you have any questions!