* * * * - 24 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#19381 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5274 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:22 PM

Huge respect to you for actually having the balls to say that. 

Although you might want to stay away from any Nintendo threads now since your head is probably on a bounty.

Eh, going against the popular opinion isn't anything new. So long as people backup saying why they dislike something, it's not a huge deal. The weight I place on something may not necessarily be the same as someone else. In the case of Breath of the Wild the poorly implemented durability and food/potion systems are what mostly did me in by the time I said I had enough and went to finish the last boss. I'll always have negative things to say on just about every game but it doesn't necessarily make it a terrible game and vise versa.

A friend lent me Valkyria Revolution when he visited last Wednesday though... I'm not sure I have anything positive to say about that game. Playing it feels like getting hit in the face with a frying pan repeatedly and I'm not sure I'll finish it prior to Mario Odyssey. If Mario hits first, I'll never touch the game again though. Not to mention the longer I look at the characters faces in Valkyria Revolution, the more I see them as some kind of very creepy uncanny valley because of their eyes.

#19382 Thatguy1513   Him again.... CAGiversary!   2563 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Thatguy1513

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:51 PM

I tried watching Gintama amd got up to maybe episode 30. There was no real story imo. I guess if I try it again, I'd watch just the important.
Any recommendations on the important arcs?

Here's a good list to start, but it's not up to date.
http://yorozuyasoul.com/gintama/arcs

#19383 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   6331 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:19 PM

I've been watching anime since like 1994 or so. I loved DBZ and Sailor Moon at the time. I've outgrown the shounen genre is all. It is way too slow for me, and honestly I dislike I'm a super weakling....here is a show about me going from super wimp to strongest in the universe. I think something like Gintama would be fun, and I have most of the episodes somewhere (other than the new season), so maybe I'll watch some to see if I like it. I just get bored with the usual offerings from the genre. I'm more of a comedy, romance, and slice of life anime watcher now. 

I guess you aren't bored with how basically everything that has become japanese high school life these days.   I'm so sick of that stuff, it's so samey, and I crave really good Shounen every now and then.  I honestly don't understand how people can watch schoolgirl shows over and over.  But most of the people on the forums I frequent eat that stuff up. 

I saw the first couple episodes of Gintama and they were very good.

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#19384 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   39892 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:25 PM

I've been watching anime since like 1994 or so. I loved DBZ and Sailor Moon at the time. I've outgrown the shounen genre is all. It is way too slow for me, and honestly I dislike I'm a super weakling....here is a show about me going from super wimp to strongest in the universe. I think something like Gintama would be fun, and I have most of the episodes somewhere (other than the new season), so maybe I'll watch some to see if I like it. I just get bored with the usual offerings from the genre. I'm more of a comedy, romance, and slice of life anime watcher now. 

Same. Mostly. Pretty much every recent shonen has started off somewhat interesting, but quickly turned into shonen trope city. It just gets old, especially since they try to drag out those series for a hundred million episodes.

I have been meaning to watch Gintama though. Looks like it might be fun.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community.  

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

It's because of pillars like you, I remain in this community.  Thank you!

Spoken like a true pillar. The community sends its many thanks.

How dare you speak to the pillar of our community that way. If he says you're a closet vita fan he knows what he's talking about.

#19385 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8017 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:06 AM

I guess you aren't bored with how basically everything that has become japanese high school life these days.   I'm so sick of that stuff, it's so samey, and I crave really good Shounen every now and then.  I honestly don't understand how people can watch schoolgirl shows over and over.  But most of the people on the forums I frequent eat that stuff up. 

I saw the first couple episodes of Gintama and they were very good.

Oh no...those school shows are very samey. For slice of life I much prefer something like Interviews with Monster Girls (though they are school girls...but they're monster girls!) or Sweetness and Lightning to something like whatever cute girls being cute anime there is (every season gets one or more).

My favorite anime are the ones with slightly older protagonists like in college or beyond. Those are few and far between though. I honestly watch very little anime...maybe 2-3 series a season, as I just kind of start a few series, drop many, and just kind of grind out those series i kept up with.

In all honestly the last anime I was floored by was likely Honey and Clover. That one just hit so many buttons for me that it left me feeling so many things. It also helped it had older characters and really good art and music.

I still watch anime though just hoping something gets my blood boiling again, but it's been a while.

#19386 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   1892 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:40 AM

I tried watching Gintama amd got up to maybe episode 30. There was no real story imo. I guess if I try it again, I'd watch just the important.

gintama isn't like a regular anime where each episode leads to the next. It's more like an American cartoon in the sense that most episodes are self contained stories & can be watched out of order.
However there are a couple connecting arcs that last only 2 to 10 episodes long so you dont get that overly never ending shounen story feeling.

#19387 Supplice   Hmph CAGiversary!   4171 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:43 AM

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time five-minute trailer

Spoiler

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 Deluxe Edition revealed for Switch

Dragon Ball FighterZ Ultimate Edition Listing Shows A “FighterZ Pass” With 8 New Characters

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Gets New Sunset/Night Screenshots, Blade Designed by Code Geass Artist

Gintama Rumble for PS4 and PS Vita Reveals Tsukuyo and More in New Commercial

#19388 nagpo  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:47 AM

Gets better after 50 episodes. That's when it really hits its stride.

But also, it's a gag anime not really a shonen tournament type show. It does have serious arcs, but they're not the highlight of the show. The humor is.

Check out my Ebay profile!

For sale now:

The World of Final Fantasy - Vita

The Slayers complete first season! + More!

#19389 TooPoor   ∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price CAGiversary!   11162 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:13 AM

But also, it's a gag anime not really a shonen tournament type show. It does have serious arcs, but they're not the highlight of the show. The humor is.

I am of this preference also. Though different folks, different strokes.

The hot pot episode had my laughing until my stomach hurt like hell, much like how our college dorm did hot pot nights, you can't even wait until the meat cooks or else everything will be gone. Of course when we were in our 20's, our bodies were invincible.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List Currently inactive, no time to play any games _(:3」∠)_

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#19390 NeoMonk  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:10 AM

SNES Classic Themed - New Nintendo 3DS XL Announced as Amazon Exclusive to be released 11/27

Spoiler

DragonBall Fighters Z Season Pass Content Leaked & Ultimate Edition is Coming

Voez physical version coming to Switch in JP on Jan 25th for 4,320Yen ($37) & will include TV mode option.

Webp.net-gifmaker777b0.gifezgif.com-resize6bea7.gif

#19391 EdJericho   2.5D Seiyuu Fanboy CAGiversary!   733 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

EDIT: It looks like NeoGAF has gone the way of the dodo.

a2JEVSf.gifT6rlETZ.gif

#19392 Supplice   Hmph CAGiversary!   4171 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:20 PM

New Shin Megami Tensei for Switch revealed as Shin Megami Tensei V

#19393 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5267 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

Fuuuuuuuu......, I want the EU/Japan model. I guess it's cool NoA is offering this, as no one probably working there currently was responsible for offering this god ugly design in the US. And some do like it, so nice to see NoA finally following behind the other regions with a N3DS that matches our SNES version. I guess baby steps are better than no steps.

#19394 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5274 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

I really hope that SMT V doesn't have anything remotely like the final dungeon that SMT IV Apocalypse had. That place as absolutely terrible and not enjoyable what so ever.

#19395 Supplice   Hmph CAGiversary!   4171 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

Dragon Ball FighterZ To Release In North America And Europe On January 26, 2018

Spoiler

Star Ocean: The Last Hope – 4K & Full HD Remaster Gets Release Time for PC on Steam

#19396 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10003 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:29 PM

I hope SMTV plays more like Nocturne

#19397 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   6331 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

Nintendo is just killing it with the Monday morning announcements once again. 

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#19398 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   39892 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

I hope SMTV is a high school sim

How dare you speak to the pillar of our community that way. If he says you're a closet vita fan he knows what he's talking about.

#19399 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20516 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

Jo2hh8M.gif

gjDkeqL.gifv3llIct.gif

Spoiler

#19400 Thatguy1513   Him again.... CAGiversary!   2563 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Thatguy1513

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:23 PM

I hope SMTV is a high school sim

No you don't.

#19401 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   39892 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:29 PM

No you don't.

I meant middle school. I hope SMTV is a middle school sim

#19402 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   3700 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:52 PM

In other news, The Analogue SNES NT is releasing the original unreleased director's cut of Super Turrican, it'll be pre-loaded on the console.

https://www.polygon....rs-cut-super-nt

NnZPC5V.png

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#19403 Supplice   Hmph CAGiversary!   4171 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

Megadimension Neptunia VIIR Announced for the West; Includes All the VR Waifus

Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection Receives Halloween Release Date and New Character Trailer

Spoiler

#19404 Pheria   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1132 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

None of the VR scenes are with the goddesses in HDD form are they? T_T

Posted Image

#19405 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19784 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

Do I need to play the other Neptunia game to enjoy VII?

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#19406 tsoul   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   382 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

I meant middle school. I hope SMTV is a middle school sim

Burn this heretic!

#19407 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   39892 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

Burn this heretic!

I meant community college. I hope SMTV is a community college sim

#19408 sovereignNX-73811   Don't ever be on a boat with Adol Christin CAGiversary!   5657 Posts   Joined 3.4 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

Niiiice. Now they can announce Sen no Kiseki III Zero no Kiseki Ys Vs. Sora no Kiseki Britt's secret project.

Eh, going against the popular opinion isn't anything new. So long as people backup saying why they dislike something, it's not a huge deal. The weight I place on something may not necessarily be the same as someone else. In the case of Breath of the Wild the poorly implemented durability and food/potion systems are what mostly did me in by the time I said I had enough and went to finish the last boss. I'll always have negative things to say on just about every game but it doesn't necessarily make it a terrible game and vise versa.

A friend lent me Valkyria Revolution when he visited last Wednesday though... I'm not sure I have anything positive to say about that game. Playing it feels like getting hit in the face with a frying pan repeatedly and I'm not sure I'll finish it prior to Mario Odyssey. If Mario hits first, I'll never touch the game again though. Not to mention the longer I look at the characters faces in Valkyria Revolution, the more I see them as some kind of very creepy uncanny valley because of their eyes.

Yup, for Drake to sound off an opinion like that (valid as it is) online you have intestinal fortitude greater than Nathan Drake himself. Which, speaking of Uncharted...I personally found the series a bit overrated. Especially 1 and 2. Still had fun though. But that's another forum post.

Yeah I only spent a few hours in Valkyria Revolution. Very dull. Except for the music. I loved the somber music that plays at the "menu" screen. Kind of enjoyed how you got to interact with that screen. Too bad the rest of the game wasn't like that.  

Infamously known to post this gif waaay too much:

Spoiler

Current Playlist: 

Spoiler

#19409 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   39892 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:41 PM

I thought BOTW was pretty rad. Best Zelda since WW, which was the best Zelda since the Oracle of Seasons/Ages. Which are just the best Zelda games.

tl;dr Capcom made the best Zelda games.

#19410 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5267 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:44 PM

I thought BOTW was pretty rad. Best Zelda since WW, which was the best Zelda since the Oracle of Seasons/Ages. Which are just the best Zelda games.

tl;dr Capcom made the best Zelda games.

Completely agree on the Oracle games, as those and Link's Awakening are my favorites in the series.