* * * * - 24 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#20551 Killbomb   Waiting for Darkness CAGiversary!   3356 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

Played around 5 hours of the Monster Hunter Beta Yesterday. 

As much as i could since the beta is only lasting thru the weekend.

One thing i can say initially is im so glad that capcom has moved on from the sub HD 3ds. 

If anyone in here has a PS4 Pro and a 4k+HDR TV (and you have your picture settings set correctly), this game is absolutely stunning.

I'm also glad they moved on so I can play the game with a proper controller without having to shell out extra cash. Trying to play MH4 on a 3DS XL without the circle pad attachment was not a pleasant experience.

There is a Diablos on site 8 of Wildspire Waste (underground) for another challenge.

Rathalos and Diablos are the only two monsters that are at their normal scaling/difficulty for the beta. All other monsters are heavily altered to bring in new comers to the series.

They probably also had to make the quest related monsters easier since you can't create any new equipment in the beta. The other two are for those who want the challenge of trying to beat them with crap gear I guess. I just did the quests to get a taste of the gameplay and get the rewards for the full game. Not bothering with anything else since there's no reward other than the satisfaction of beating the harder monsters.

Killbomb.png

#20552 elessar123  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:31 PM

Purrfect Date
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Dating Sim / Visual Novel
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Well, this certainly looks weird.

Lol.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#20553 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5449 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:37 PM

Lol.

#20554 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3634 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:09 PM

I have no idea how you guys are beating Xeno already. Granted, I haven't had that much time to play, but I also get kind of frustrated when I do get the chance to go back to it. I'm still at the first town where you're looking for Nia. I was just sort of getting a grasp on the mechanics when I got that new party member and blade. 

I like how the game goes through about 30 tutorial messages so far explaining what salvaging does, what cloud tide is, how to refine and equip aux cores, but when they give you this new blade character that adheres to absolutely nothing of what the game has taught you it just tells you "good luck lol." Why couldn't they at least gloss over what some of these blade options are for this character? 

#20555 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1358 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:24 PM

I like how the game goes through about 30 tutorial messages so far explaining what salvaging does, what cloud tide is, how to refine and equip aux cores, but when they give you this new blade character that adheres to absolutely nothing of what the game has taught you it just tells you "good luck lol." Why couldn't they at least gloss over what some of these blade options are for this character? 

It's not too bad.  Just grind the retro mini game a few times and you should have enough points to fill out a basic tank setup (which is what you need from this character at this point).  The menus are just way more clunky and frustrating than they should be.  For instance, instead of an easy-to-read list or table they decided to arrange affinity skills in a rainbow pattern and requre R1 or L1 to switch between arcs.  There's no point to this.

I'm at the next town where you get the 4th character and blade.  The main thing I'm stuggling with is learning the combo sequences / button prompt timing and elemental orb stuff.  Does anyone know of a good written explanation on this?  Thanks.

My Trade List featuring xbox credit & 12 mo gold sub.

#20556 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5449 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:45 PM

The main thing I'm stuggling with is learning the combo sequences / button prompt timing and elemental orb stuff.  Does anyone know of a good written explanation on this?  Thanks.

So, as you perform Blade Arts (preferably via canceling an auto-attack to increase damage) it raises your special meter (A). You can initiate a special as early as tier 1, but can use anything from Tier 1 to 4 to initiate it. Then above the enemies health bar on the top right side is the countdown bar until the you can no longer combo attacks. The tree in the top-right is your combo tree for the element you just started, which is two paths and further breaks down to two paths. In order to continue to the second part of the combo, you need someone to have a tier 2 special available before the combo bar above their health depletes.

An example Being Tier 1 Fire Special -> Tier 2 Water Special. This causes the combo Steam Explosion. From there you can perform the final special that has to be tier 3 or 4 to continue the combo at that point. If I went with Fire -> Water, then lets say I initiate a Tier 3 Fire Special again. This is the final combo that will cause the Self-Destruct combo.

Your allies can use their specials and show on the right/left side of the screens. If you notice, they have orbs floating around their portraits. It shows you what tier their special is at. If they have the L/R buttons showing, then they can combo their special into yours or start the combo going.

Every time you fully finish a combo, meaning going all the way to the final part of the combo tree it will create an orb of the final special element. Doing this multiple times with different elements will add an elemental orb, but never create multiple of the same element. At which point you can use a full party gauge to chain attack via start (+). Orbs have 3 HP and you do one damage a hit to orbs unless you use its opposing element which causes two damage. Breaking one will allow you to continue another round in the chain attack to break more if there are more. If you have 4 or 5 orbs (I can't remember) and break them all via chain attack then you'll get a full chain finisher (I think it was called) which does a ton of damage.

Oh and there's a blade later on whose attacks during chains does 1 damage to all orbs in a single attack.

Also, that I found floating around that may help. Direct link if CAG isn't expanding it for readability.

Also if the enemy is afflicted by Break/Topple/Launch during a combo, it will deal more damage. Causing a Slam to a launched enemy while a combo bar is active will also increase damage as well. Granted using Break -> Topple -> Launch -> Slam does a ton of damage by itself. If you have blades equipped that can do these and you're able to perform them even if you have to switch between blades, it'll make fights go faster. They can literally take half the health of an enemy or more that's of similar level. Larger enemies tend to have larger health pools though and some can't be broken or will self-slam for less damage.

EDIT: Just keep in mind every enemy enrages at half health. So if you hit half the enemies health and they don't have enough orbs for a full chain attack, don't bother trying. It could potentially get you killed.

#20557 ar4757   Makoto x Joker is canon CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:04 PM

Nah, I'll pass on another re-re-re-release. Half the time the originals are better anyway (like Uncharted, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, ZOE, Ultra SF 4, Jak and Daxter=all better on their original consoles).

But I would love to see some HD releases of games that we haven't seen yet. Some of those PS2 era Gundam games or rare games like Rule or Rose. Y'know, anything not RE or DMC.

I want a God Hand remaster or sequel because after playing it last year I think it's my favorite game from capcom

Now for the picture of the day:

51984_v.gif                                           I8AllDaBadgerz.png

#20558 NeoMonk  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:10 PM

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection coming to PS4, XB1 and Switch

Spoiler

#20559 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2509 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

I guess there are more people that game on the go or make use of undocked mode due to their kids/wife/whoever wanting the TV than I expected because I am surprised how well the Switch is doing.

Yes, that's pretty much exactly why the Switch is doing as well as it is. Lifestyles change. And the sheer bustle and activity of modern life has sapped a lot of people's schedules. Time is at more of a premium than ever before. A lot of people just don't have the time to commit to sitting down in front of a television or a computer monitor. More people are gaming on their laptops or tablets than they are on their personal computers or home consoles. In fact, most people I know now consider me weird for always having a personal computer. All of them just buy laptops, or tablets, or some manner of tablet/laptop hybrid. They don't understand why I insist on maintaining a gaming-capable rig with a dedicated GPU.

And it's people like that who are making the Switch a success. A console that is pick-up-and-play, and is extremely small fits well with the on-the-go lifestyle so many have come to adopt. It gives them a level of flexibility with their gaming, even if they have to sacrifice rendering power to do it. So many of them have become accustomed to just using tablets that the disparity in power barely even comes into the equation. When stacked up next to a capable gaming rig, the Switch is an anachronistic throw-back to yesteryear. Out of date and woefully underpowered. When stacked up to a tablet, though, the Switch looks like a powerhouse. Tablets require general-purpose computing, and have to sacrifice power in order to enable those other functions. Switch's narrow focus allows it to put all of its meager power behind gaming.

And then there's the software line-up for the Switch's first year on the market. It's been excellent. Again, it's a matter of comparison. If your standards are coming from a PC-power background, it's been a trickle. (the average PC gamer's selection has swollen dramatically over the past five years, the PC is usually considered a base-line release platform for most games) But compared to the average console, the Switch has come out swinging, with significant Nintendo first-party support, and a considerable number of third-party titles, largely spear-headed by indie developers.

I will say that the Switch has been a little weak on the Japan-centric side of things, aside from Nintendo's own first-party efforts. The U.S. indie scene has actually been a bigger support of the platform, as well as several European developers. There have been announcements for firmer support going into next year, but for the time being Japan developers and publishers were taking a bit more of a cautious approach on the Switch's launch. I can also appreciate why a PC-focused player might not feel any need for a Switch. Japan has started porting far more of their big titles to the PC over the past few years. Services like Steam and GOG are now fully stocked with high-profile and indie Japan-developed titles, and new releases now come out on the PC almost as a matter of course. So PC gamers are indeed spoiled for choice for most Japanese games. Unless you are just hungry for some Nintendo first-party titles you should be able to get by just fine with a decent gaming PC.

#20560 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   6686 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:39 PM

Yeah it's hard to find time to play video games when you have to check Facebook every 5 minutes with ur modern lifestyle. 

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#20561 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4467 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:46 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

A Demo For A Certain Magical Virtual-On Will Be Available Soon With All Characters

#20562 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10655 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:53 PM

gimme my rereleases ATLUS. If Capcom can do it, so can you

#20563 denpanosekai  

denpanosekai

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:26 AM

Day one on that SF collection. Including the first Fighting Street as well as SFA games is beyond sweet. Only way to top this would be to include Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game just for shits & giggles.

Spoiler

#20564 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2509 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:42 AM

Day one on that SF collection. Including the first Fighting Street as well as SFA games is beyond sweet.

I'm glad I waited on picking up the HD Turbo release for the Switch. While that game is probably decent, THIS is the Street Fighter release that the fans really want.

In truth, almost no one is going to play the original Street Fighter in this collection. The game just wasn't very good, and has little value aside from being a historical curiosity. But the sheer volume of other content in this collection makes it easy worth it. Especially if they are able to deliver on the quality of emulation they are boasting about. This essentially encompasses the entire Street Fighter II major releases, and all of the Alpha and Street Fighter III releases. That's a very sizeable collection, and should richly serve any of the platforms it's being released on.

I'm tempted to go for the Switch version, as it would be a good fit for local multi-player on the go. But I will need to wait for reviews on the performance. The Street Fighter experience requires silky-smooth frame-rates and uncluttered performance. If the Switch version isn't able to deliver on that front, than it can forget it. I might just get a PS4 copy no matter what. I've got lots of PS4 controllers, and they work fairly well for fighting games.

It's good to see Capcom delivering some anniversary content with some actual meat to it.

#20565 Killbomb   Waiting for Darkness CAGiversary!   3356 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:42 AM

It's not too bad.  Just grind the retro mini game a few times and you should have enough points to fill out a basic tank setup (which is what you need from this character at this point).  The menus are just way more clunky and frustrating than they should be.  For instance, instead of an easy-to-read list or table they decided to arrange affinity skills in a rainbow pattern and requre R1 or L1 to switch between arcs.  There's no point to this.

I'm at the next town where you get the 4th character and blade.  The main thing I'm stuggling with is learning the combo sequences / button prompt timing and elemental orb stuff.  Does anyone know of a good written explanation on this?  Thanks.

I don't like that you HAVE to play the mini-game to improve Poppi. I'm planning on switching out Tora as soon as possible. I had a pretty good grasp on the battle system but then the game decided to

Spoiler

Killbomb.png

#20566 EdJericho   2.5D Seiyuu Fanboy CAGiversary!   752 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:54 AM

Two years of waiting, you can finally have my money Capcom.

a2JEVSf.gifT6rlETZ.gif

#20567 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3634 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:05 AM

Two years of waiting, you can finally have my money Capcom.

Maybe I'll finally go back to this boring ass game. 

#20568 NeoMonk  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:15 AM

Sakura Trailer

Never Forget:

Spoiler

#20569 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   39968 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:27 AM

Never Forget:

Spoiler

I want to forget

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community.  

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

It's because of pillars like you, I remain in this community.  Thank you!

Spoken like a true pillar. The community sends its many thanks.

How dare you speak to the pillar of our community that way. If he says you're a closet vita fan he knows what he's talking about.

#20570 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3634 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:13 AM

This made me laugh:

#20571 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4467 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:03 AM

Valkyria Chronicles 4 Gets Tons of Screenshots Showing New Valkyria, Characters and Battle Mechanics

Spoiler

#20572 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   1998 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:55 AM

meh, no Alpha 3 MAX & no Ultimate Sf2.
collection kinda sux, i have all these games already & with online play abilities on ps3/psp.

#20573 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4467 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:24 PM

Asia version, will come with Japanese voiceover and English subtitles.
Spoiler

Square Enix interested in bringing past games to Switch

#20574 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19837 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

Day 1 for Super Robot War X.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#20575 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10655 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

meh, no Alpha 3 MAX & no Ultimate Sf2.
collection kinda sux, i have all these games already & with online play abilities on ps3/psp.

I'm excited. The last time they did a collection was on PS2 and I prefer to play it on modern consoles. :lol: 

#20576 fujishig   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   903 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

fujishig

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

I'm excited. The last time they did a collection was on PS2 and I prefer to play it on modern consoles. :lol:

You'll get your chance next gen too.  And the gen after that.  ;)

#20577 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10655 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

nah

#20578 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3634 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:08 AM

ARIKA's fighting game PS+ demo is up on the US store:

https://store.playst...PS025USDM001000

Had to "buy" it there and have it download to my PS4 since it didn't show up in a search. 

#20579 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4467 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:03 AM

#20580 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10655 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:07 AM

I'm pretty sure DJMax Respect can get a good publisher. Hell. Just make it Retailer Exclusive or something if LRG can't get it.