* * * * - 24 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#22981 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5980 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:57 PM

Honestly, I'd imagine for a while. I heard it's a step down from I Am Setsuna, and that game was already mediocre imo. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, that doesn't really stop collectors.

It's on Steam and it's not an exceptional game. I will buy it but since it's on Steam I will buy it at the eventual $7.50 sale.

Yeah, I had always planned to buy it before launch, as I figured once it sold out, prices would get silly. Since the reviews where so bad, I decided to pass it by. I also had to regulate myself and say I don't need all NS releases, rare or not. 

"Listen y'all, if Chris of all people isn't complaining, then you know it's a non-issue." -tonyxvx

#22982 dsman3717   Saber is Life CAGiversary!   603 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

dsman3717

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:04 AM

So for some reason my copy of Attack on Titan 2 showed up on Saturday. Spent the weekend playing through it.

It's pretty good so far, although I'd actually argue it should be called Attack on Titan 1.5 lol

That's because game takes you through the events of the first all over again, this time a bit more detailed in terms of the character interactions. Especially since you play as a custom character who gets to know the main cast their way.

In terms of gameplay, they slightly modified the combat which was a bit disorienting at first, but now makes the gameplay much better in my opinion. (You don't anchor to a titan with Square anymore, now its Triangle, you can create bases in the map, combo attacks with certain characters, etc...)

Anyways, this is more of a preview impression since I'm only like 40% into the story for the game. Enjoying it so far.

ilovehinata.png
Currently Playing: :switch: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Warriors   :ps4: Kiwami 2, Blue Reflection, Tokyo Xanadu eX+     :ps3: Yakuza 5, Yakuza 1&2 HD   :xb1: Forza 7, Cuphead    :360: Catherine, Tales of Vesperia  :wiiu:  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Twilight Princess HD, Xenoblade Chronicles X   :vita:  Chaos;Child, Mary Skelter    :3ds:  Metroid Samus Returns, Fire Emblem Echoes, Pokemon Sun,  Mobile/Browser games: Fate/Grand Order, Tales of Link, LLSIF, Kantai Collection 

Spoiler

#22983 ケネディ (KNDY)   Japan Import Gamer CAGiversary!   1049 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

ケネディ (KNDY)

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:25 AM

Pretty good price for $9 for the two "River City Ransom" games + BlazBlue games (Steam via Indiegala).

https://www.indiegal...er-steam-bundle

Not sure about the "Anime Heaven" Bundle they have going on but for $5, I'll give it try:

https://www.indiegal...am-games-bundle

kndynt2099.png

kndynt2099.png

Feel Free to Add me:
USA: XB1/PSN/Wii U: kndynt2099  | Steam   - JAPAN: PSN: j-entonline | 3DS CODE: 1049-1636-7908

#22984 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4161 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:47 AM

I'll have to give them a shot in English whenever there's a dry spell between larger releases. Hopefully I remember it around that time.

When and if that happens will likely mean the series has been discontinued barring a new console gen oh or if they stop localizing them for some weird reason. Though I doubt that would stop most of the people on here from importing jpn or engrish asian releases. Since I could see them taking a bit to get an engine set up that would likely delay at the start of a new console.  Or if sony is screwing up again like they did the ps3 and make it a nightmare to program for, over priced and get the dev kits out late.

Currently on the look out for a decent price on Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness.  

#22985 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4469 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:29 AM

Clannad and Island coming to PS4 in June in Japan

Live-Action Dynasty Warriors Movie’s First Trailer Teases Its Musou Action

Attack on Titan 2 Producer On Making A Satisfying Omni-Directional Gear Experience

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou coming to Switch on July 26 in Japan

Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner MARS launches September in Japan

-

Fate/Extella Link Adds Berserker-Class Darius III And Archer-Class Arjuna

Valkyria Chronicles 4 Season Pass Comes With additional Scenarios Including A Beach Event

Zanki Zero Is A Survival Dungeon RPG By Danganronpa Staff With Characters That Die In 13 Days

Dragon Ball FighterZ Gets A Bardock Trailer, Broly & Bardock DLC Launches March 28

Persona 3 & Persona 5 Dancing Adds Playable Elizabeth, Caroline And Justine

Utawarerumono action game code-named “UTZ” to be officially announced next week

#22986 Miker525  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

Yakuza Kiwami 2 is up on Amazon for pre-orders and now Prime discount is taking effect - $39.99 for the steelbook pre-order. Hells yeah

THESE ARE ALL THE (PHYSICAL) GAMES I OWN. | YEARLY SPENDING ON GAMES.

Steam: Miker525 | XBL: Miker525 | PSN: MikeRosenberg

- If you add me give me a heads up so I know to not auto decline it -

#22987 dsman3717   Saber is Life CAGiversary!   603 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

dsman3717

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:00 PM

A bit disappointed the Berserker is Darius III. I saw that the teaser image showed a bronze Berserker card so I thought maybe there'd be a correlation to the rarity of the servant. But considering Arjuna was chosen and the Archer card in the preview is not gold, this throws my theory out the window haha.

Was hoping for maybe Kintoki, Raikou or Kiyohime. Well, at least there's one more un-announced Berserker remaining....

ilovehinata.png
Currently Playing: :switch: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Warriors   :ps4: Kiwami 2, Blue Reflection, Tokyo Xanadu eX+     :ps3: Yakuza 5, Yakuza 1&2 HD   :xb1: Forza 7, Cuphead    :360: Catherine, Tales of Vesperia  :wiiu:  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Twilight Princess HD, Xenoblade Chronicles X   :vita:  Chaos;Child, Mary Skelter    :3ds:  Metroid Samus Returns, Fire Emblem Echoes, Pokemon Sun,  Mobile/Browser games: Fate/Grand Order, Tales of Link, LLSIF, Kantai Collection 

Spoiler

#22988 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5450 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

Free weekly PSN junk:

Monster Hunter: World

PS4

- Free Character Edit Voucher

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

PS4

- Prologue Demo (Alt Link)

- Locations Theme

N++

PS4

- Ultimate Theme

The 'Great Indoors Sale' is still in effect this week with no new secondary sale. The Yakuza 6 demo finally re-released, which I assume is the proper demo this time.

#22989 RPGamer246   I Game You Game We Game CAGiversary!   847 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:52 PM

for anyone that preorders from gamestop you can preorder the kiwami 2 steelbook edition in store

#22990 elessar123  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

Zanki Zero sounds interesting.

Spoiler

#22991 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8403 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:41 PM

Zanki Zero sounds interesting.

It does sound interesting. Kind of reminds me of Oreshika, though sometimes that system wasn't as good. If it's localized it's an easy buy and play on release.

#22992 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5450 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:26 PM

For you Overwatch players, on all platforms. She won't be usable in competitive for a couple weeks still. No other worthwhile news, so I probably won't mention anything until the next event is announced.

EDIT: I suppose I should mention the in-game team info screen got an update.

#22993 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3810 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:47 AM

Yakuza Kiwami 2 is up on Amazon for pre-orders and now Prime discount is taking effect - $39.99 for the steelbook pre-order. Hells yeah

Didn't the original Kiwami start at $30? Kiwami 2 running $20 more is a bit disappointing, honestly, I don't really like paying that close to full price for remakes of games I already own.

Aside from the graphics and translation, what's new in this version again? A few minigames and a short playable Majima story, right? I'm gonna have a hard time justifying $40 and tax for that.

You couldn't help noting with every breath that thousands of other people were very close to you and nearly all of them had armpits.

#22994 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19837 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:20 AM

Didn't the original Kiwami start at $30? Kiwami 2 running $20 more is a bit disappointing, honestly, I don't really like paying that close to full price for remakes of games I already own.

Aside from the graphics and translation, what's new in this version again? A few minigames and a short playable Majima story, right? I'm gonna have a hard time justifying $40 and tax for that.

Actually using more refine Yakuza 6 engine for Kiwami 2.  That means no loading time and everything happening on the screen.  Kiwami 1 was basically Yakuza 5 engine.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#22995 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   352 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:55 AM

Actually using more refine Yakuza 6 engine for Kiwami 2.  That means no loading time and everything happening on the screen.  Kiwami 1 was basically Yakuza 5 engine.

Yeah I knew the moment they showed that Kiwami 2 was going to be done in the Yakuza 6 engine it was probably going to be a full price game, I am a little shocked it's only $50 actually. But yeah the first Kiwami is very much a budget game, apparently they even re-used all the animations from the original game for the cutscenes if the internet is to be believed (digital foundry per usual has a good video on it.) It's honestly not that amazing looking of a game even by PS3 standards, where as 6 and Kiwami 2 look and move great. 

ZenaxPure.png

#22996 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3810 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

Yeah I knew the moment they showed that Kiwami 2 was going to be done in the Yakuza 6 engine it was probably going to be a full price game, I am a little shocked it's only $50 actually. But yeah the first Kiwami is very much a budget game, apparently they even re-used all the animations from the original game for the cutscenes if the internet is to be believed (digital foundry per usual has a good video on it.) It's honestly not that amazing looking of a game even by PS3 standards, where as 6 and Kiwami 2 look and move great.

Yeah, I don't really care about enhanced graphics or animation in a game like Yakuza, not even a little; so I have to justify that price tag based on the strength of any new additions, and that alone.

I loved Majima everywhere in Kiwami, but Kiwami 2 is starting to sound like it's just not worth the upgrade tax over the Japanese PS3 port. Maybe if it gets down to <$20 before the stock dries up.

You couldn't help noting with every breath that thousands of other people were very close to you and nearly all of them had armpits.

#22997 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   2658 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

So with all the Yakuza talk, where's a jumping in point for those new to the series? I watched a bit of Giantbomb's endurance run of Zero, and on a lark, bought Kiwami 1. Should I just play that or will I be hopelessly lost story-wise and need to play/view something else first?

#22998 Ibacai  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:25 AM

So with all the Yakuza talk, where's a jumping in point for those new to the series? I watched a bit of Giantbomb's endurance run of Zero, and on a lark, bought Kiwami 1. Should I just play that or will I be hopelessly lost story-wise and need to play/view something else first?

Kiwami is the first game so it’s a good starting point. You could also start with 0 as it’s a prequel. Either way you’re good.

#22999 Miker525  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

I would say definitely start with 0. Kiwami is the first game so by starting there you aren't necessarily missing out on anything but I started with 0 and I actually feel like it's the best starting point.

A) 0 is an absolutely incredible game. Whether looked at as part of the overall franchise or individually, the game is just amazing.

B) knowing Kiryu's past makes Kiwami all that more meaningful when you play through it.

C) Kiwami is a much smaller game than 0. 0 is filled with mini-games and sidequests out the ass along with a second city. Kiwami has lots of things to do but when compared to 0 it definitely feels a lot smaller. Kiwami almost felt like a nice big expansion pack to Yakuza 0 to me.

Overall it's up to you but I think 0 is definitely your go to starting point.

Kiwami 1 did launch at $30. Kiwami 2 has a lot more going into it though. Kiwami reused assets and animations and was definitely a budget test project for them that worked. Still I see nothing wrong with this when Square and others will charge full price for an HD remaster. This is absolutely a full blown remake from the ground up in the Y6 engine, with all new gameplay and what seems to me to be a few new chapters along with minor story adjustments to make it fit the overall Yakuza storyline better. At least to me, considering I see Yakuza 2 as the best in the franchise (although it's very close and tied with 0) it's definitely worth the money. Obviously if you have the Japanese ps3 remaster then maybe it's not worth it for you.

#23000 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4469 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded Arriving In July 2018

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection Gets a Release Date; Pre-Order Bonus Announced

Spoiler

Travis Strikes Again Gets First Two Player Gameplay Shown With Suda51 as Badman

Spoiler

Tin Giant Is Helping NIS America With Ys VIII: Lacrimosa Of Dana

Dragon’s Crown For PS3 And PS Vita To Receive Patch Ahead Of Dragon’s Crown Pro Release

Yakuza 6’s Clan Creator Lets Kiryu Be A Leader

Little Witch Academia: Chamber Of Time’s Version 1.03 Update Adds Online And Offline Co-Op

PS4 Won February in the US According to the NPD; Monster Hunter World Holds the Top for Software

3rd Party Digital Sales on Nintendo Switch Exceed Physical Sales for the First Time in United States

Han-Gyaku-Sei Million Arthur Is Getting An Anime Adaptation In 2018

#23001 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   1998 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

I say kiwami 1 since you are already there and it was the first game that came out back on ps2.

#23002 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8403 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

I somewhat feel Yakuza 0 can ruin future Yakuza games, since they're not as refined usually. Of course it could be like me where Yakuza 0 was a slight bit boring in ways since I already beat some other Yakuza games and knew where the story was going. The game play was fun though. I did like the fighting styles and the side activities for sure though.

#23003 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5450 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

This has more than likely been mentioned in the Steam thread but if you have an Amazon Prime account then Amazon has started giving away (5?) full games through Twitch every month like PS+ & XBL. This month has Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (+ 4 others). Unfortunately the games are through the Twitch client and not Steam or GOG though, but if you still have Amazon Prime then free is free.

#23004 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   568 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

Now I'm going to be spending all day refreshing a PSN search for Atelier. PSN giving away preorder bonuses.

https://store.playst...us/search/lydie

#23005 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   39968 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:43 PM

Start with Kiwami. Knowing the main characters (and what happens to some of them) adds something to the game, in my opinion. You won't be lost in the slightest starting with Kiwami since it's the first game, and you already have it anyway.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community.  

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

It's because of pillars like you, I remain in this community.  Thank you!

Spoken like a true pillar. The community sends its many thanks.

How dare you speak to the pillar of our community that way. If he says you're a closet vita fan he knows what he's talking about.

#23006 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5450 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

Now I'm going to be spending all day refreshing a PSN search for Atelier. PSN giving away preorder bonuses.

https://store.playst...us/search/lydie

The only pre-order content I'm aware of are the two DLC costumes as far as I know. Though I guess it seems to include some junk items and some battle music that's often free for everybody.

Granted I understand why you're checking since they did this on the last game (?) and the game before it where the pre-order content was mistakenly put up for free.

#23007 ar4757   Makoto x Joker is canon CAGiversary!   835 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Pretty sure Kiwami 1 was Y0 engine, they look and run identical (60fps)

Now for the picture of the day:

51984_v.gif                                           I8AllDaBadgerz.png

#23008 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   6686 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:38 PM

Start with Kiwami because its very hard to go backwards with gameplay standards.   It would be hard to go from 0, a PS4 era creation, to Kiwami which was a PS2 game. 

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#23009 Miker525  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:42 PM

Pretty sure Kiwami 1 was Y0 engine, they look and run identical (60fps)

Kiwami is absolutely unquestionably on the Y0 engine.

#23010 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4469 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly, 7’scarlet, and Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk launch in April, May, and June in North America

Valkyria Chronicles 4 — 10th Anniversary Memorial Edition Unboxing

Spoiler

Persona 5 Dancing Star Night and 3 Dancing Moon Night Get New Trailer; DLC Characters Announced

Spoiler

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana for Nintendo Switch Gets Release Dates; Coming in June