* * * * - 25 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#23401 dnl2ba   Inadvertent collector CAGiversary!   397 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:50 PM

I want SNK to nail it. An NES Classic / SNES Classic-quality offering with classic SNK games would be amazing. But not very deep down, I know it will be a crappy AtGames console with bad emulation, janky audio, and multiple baffling hardware and software decisions.

#23402 NeoMonk  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:24 PM

Disgaea 1 Complete - Rosen's Queen Finest Edition (Collectors Edition) Switch - & PS4

Spoiler

Disgaea 1 Complete base game will sell for $50 for Switch - & PS4

BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle Character Introduction Trailer #8 (Naoto Shirogane, Vatista, Hakumen)

Spoiler

Taiko Drum Master Switch Edition Details

#23403 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4021 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:31 PM

Disgaea 1 Complete

Because the last few editions weren't complete?

Also if that mousepad has any wrist support at all I'm complaining to someone.

#23404 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8817 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

Disgaea 1 CE looks aight. I will get the game when it's like $15. I'm a bit tired of Disgaea myself.

#23405 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4021 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

Disgaea 1 CE looks aight. I will get the game when it's like $15. I'm a bit tired of Disgaea myself.

I would have gotten it if it came packed with a port of DD2 with the DLC included, because I've been waiting for a DLC-included version of DD2 forever.

BUT NO. I'll just stick with the DS version, portable is better for Disgaea, anyway.

And I probably wouldn't get the CE, since I have like half that merchandise already.

#23406 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7279 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:38 PM

lol @ "noppai" Etna flat mousepad.

Yeah, def not trying to go back to the old games again.  Want something new and refreshing if anything since 5 was such a letdown. 

#23407 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8817 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:49 PM

I thought it was just me. I played Disgaea 1 and 2 a lot on PS2. I skipped 3, but played 4 somewhat, though I got bored. When 5 came out...I played for a bit, but I just couldn't go on. I was getting bored so fast and it just felt so been there done that. I don't play turn based strategy games that much anymore. Likely last was Stella Glow, which I really liked despite the garbage need to beat the game to get the full energy for character interactions thing. 

#23408 Thermopyle  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

DD2 kinda just disappeared. They announced that D5 wasn't going to get a Vita port, so I expected DD2 to still make it, then that never showed up and Switch got a D5 port instead of DD2 first. Maybe after the D1 remaster hits and there's newer buyers they'll get DD2 with all DLC out on current-gen.

#23409 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7279 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

Metal Gear Survive is $14.00 lol

#23410 nagpo  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:40 PM

ouch. Konami has never recovered from the MGSV thing

#23411 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4583 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:46 PM

The game is also dog shit, so it's hard to blame their past blunders too much for this; MG:S is terrible enough on its own merits. Lol

#23412 evilgordo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   47 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

evilgordo

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:47 PM

PS4 and Switch?! NISA, you're killing me. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound:

G44cPnO.jpg

#23413 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6527 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:59 PM

PS4 and Switch?! NISA, you're killing me. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound:

LOL, so true and I feel your pain.

I'm so glad NISA has finally stopped Vita offerings, as they where getting pretty bad near the end. Now, it seems like they are offering even more for the NS and it's just getting started. I told myself from the start to not even bother, as that hole wasn't going to have a bottom. I've finally filled in the hole of the last few years of to many CE buys, so not looking to go back anytime soon.

#23414 evilgordo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   47 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

evilgordo

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

LOL, so true and I feel your pain.

I'm so glad NISA has finally stopped Vita offerings, as they where getting pretty bad near the end. Now, it seems like they are offering even more for the NS and it's just getting started. I told myself from the start to not even bother, as that hole wasn't going to have a bottom. I've finally filled in the hole of the last few years of to many CE buys, so not looking to go back anytime soon.

So true!

At least with NISA Vita offerings, they came after their PS(3/4) counterpart and with extra content/features (sometimes). But these simultaneous PS4/NS CE with no differences...I'm just gonna get what interests me the most on the platform that will offer the better experience, except for Disgaea, I got a problem and I"ll double/triple/quadruple dip without question.

Though, I find it curious that Atelier Lydie for PS4 sold out over the NS. Is it production numbers? Or that there are more niche gamers on PS4 as opposed to NS? Maybe Atelier is a bad example, since the series has a history with Sony consoles...which of the other CE offerings for both PS4/NS will sell out first? I'm thinking PS4 for most, except Harvest Moon which has a longer history on Nintendo consoles. That is of course, assuming that all CEs are produced in equal numbers...

#23415 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5638 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

I realized I was sitting on my thoughts for Atelier Lydie & Suelle in my notepad for a while without having posted them, so I'll throw this out there for any who are interested:

Spoiler

I'm disappointed in the disgusting DLC prices and that they took away quality of life things that have been in the series for a while, such as dimensional storage and replaced it with DLC. I hate you Koei Tecmo.

#23416 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7279 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

I'm just glad that the shovelware, ports, and retreads started early enough for the Nintendo Switch that I felt no desire to maintain some sort of collection of special games.

I'm going to continue buying things with PS4 as my primary library of choice. It's a pantheon console, one of the best of all-time.  Plus the game prices approach the dirt cheap $15-20 mark that Switch games won't. 

#23417 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   634 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

Though, I find it curious that Atelier Lydie for PS4 sold out over the NS. Is it production numbers? Or that there are more niche gamers on PS4 as opposed to NS? Maybe Atelier is a bad example, since the series has a history with Sony consoles...which of the other CE offerings for both PS4/NS will sell out first? I'm thinking PS4 for most, except Harvest Moon which has a longer history on Nintendo consoles. That is of course, assuming that all CEs are produced in equal numbers...

Atelier has historically had a home on Vita with the enhanced Plus editions of Arland and Dusk over the past few years and the low effort Vita ports of Mysterious. The PS4 version offers remote play so I would assume those that aren't bitter over not having a Vita port would opt for that version. Switch may have a larger player base in general but the hardcore Sony fanboys would rather die than buy a Nintendo console of any sort. 

#23418 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2576 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

I want SNK to nail it. An NES Classic / SNES Classic-quality offering with classic SNK games would be amazing. But not very deep down, I know it will be a crappy AtGames console with bad emulation, janky audio, and multiple baffling hardware and software decisions.

Well, they already tried something similar to this with the Neo Geo X quasi-portable system. And that didn't exactly light the world on fire. The reviews were tepid, so even a crazy collector like me didn't jump on it. I even held off when it started going on sale, since the price never dipped into the range I was looking for. So yeah, there is a real risk that it will be sub-par in terms of quality.

My dearest hope is that they team up with Analogue, and handle this new hardware that way. I got a Super NT earlier this year, and that thing is a straight-up masterpiece. If they were able to do something similar for a Neo Geo system, that would be phenomenal, even if the price was crazy high. But I worry that the FPGA approach would not have enough muscle to handle the Neo Geo's original specs. The Neo Geo was very advanced for its time, making it the juggernaut of the 16-bit generation. Simulating a Neo Geo would definitely require a beefier FPGA than the Super Nintendo. And I'm not certain that SNK would be willing to collaborate on this one, especially for a more niche audience.

The one thing that gives me a little hope is that Analogue got their start making Neo Geo custom rigs, so they are at least incentivized to help out for this sort of thing.

#23419 Tothoro  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:35 PM

I'm just glad that the shovelware, ports, and retreads started early enough for the Nintendo Switch that I felt no desire to maintain some sort of collection of special games.

I'm going to continue buying things with PS4 as my primary library of choice. It's a pantheon console, one of the best of all-time.  Plus the game prices approach the dirt cheap $15-20 mark that Switch games won't. 

Same. At this point, I only use my Switch for exclusives, similar to other Nintendo consoles I've owned. Nintendo will always have a place in my heart (and wallet) because of their phenomenal IPs and occasional exclusive JRPG, but Sony provides a much better cohesive gaming environment in this day and age.

#23420 cloudmd23   Tojo Clan Member CAGiversary!   193 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:41 PM

Didn't mention it when I took the survey. Didn't stop me from bringing it up in all of the various comment sections though.

#23421 dsman3717   Saber is Life CAGiversary!   651 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

dsman3717

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:46 PM

Hmm...I'm guessing I'm the only person that actually enjoyed Metal Gear Survive lol.

I found the game to be pretty fun, especially the exploring aspect. The base management was an interesting addition as well. Story was not the greatest, but it was based on parallel timelines so its the best it could have been. Playing online with others was quite enjoyable as well.

This is just my unpopular opinion for the day  ;)

#23422 Killbomb   The Misanthrope CAGiversary!   3493 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:46 AM

Hmm...I'm guessing I'm the only person that actually enjoyed Metal Gear Survive lol.

I found the game to be pretty fun, especially the exploring aspect. The base management was an interesting addition as well. Story was not the greatest, but it was based on parallel timelines so its the best it could have been. Playing online with others was quite enjoyable as well.

This is just my unpopular opinion for the day  ;)

I enjoyed it as well so you're not alone. Once the campaign's over it becomes kind of a slog but up until that point, I found the game very compelling. If more would take off their Kojima blinders and approach the game with an open mind, they might be surprised.

#23423 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4764 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:30 AM

Summer Lesson Allison Snow and Chisato Shinjo Releasing in English this Summer in Asia

SEGA Exec Says Shenmue I & II Re-Releases Were in Talks Before the Reveal of Shenmue III

Code Vein Gets New 1080p Screenshots Revealing Mido, Combo Drain, Souls-Like Combat and More

Taiko no Tatsujin: Nintendo Switch Version! Has Special Characters And Over 70 Songs

The House in Fata Morgana Getting Long-Awaited Physical Edition

Megadimension Neptunia VIIR Gold Third and giant battles screenshots

#23424 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8817 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:57 PM

Also Princess Maker 5 coming to Steam in April

Link

I played 2 and 3 a decent amount before, so eventually I'll get this and play it I hope.

#23425 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5638 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:17 PM

I wonder what weird ass backward outcomes you can arrive at in Princess Maker 5. That's usually the most fun of those simulation games, trying to reach obscure and weird ends. I still haven't played 3. I guess they're not bringing over 4?

#23426 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8817 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:18 PM

I guess. I remember 4 having a weird graphics system if I remember right....hopefully they do. Even in that screenshot, there is likely bad news a coming from choices 2 and 3 lol.

#23427 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   634 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:53 PM

I guess. I remember 4 having a weird graphics system if I remember right....hopefully they do. Even in that screenshot, there is likely bad news a coming from choices 2 and 3 lol.

It's OK though because you play as her mom....right?

#23428 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4764 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

Monster Hunter: World Goes Full Bloom With Street Fighter V Sakura Collab Event On May 4

PlatinumGames trying to talk with Nintendo about bringing The Wonderful 101 to Switch

Bayonetta 3 is a turning point for PlatinumGames, trying to do something new and top previous entries

Famitsu: Do you love Mega Man games? Please answer our questionnaire for Mega Man 30th anniversary issue!!

#23429 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

Wonderful 101 on Switch would be awesome if they could get the controls figured out. That was a really cool game. 

#23430 SolidSnake86   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1450 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

SolidSnake86

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:25 PM

It's a good survival-style game, though the constant management system is not my cup of tea. If this game came out before Phantom Pain I'd probably take larger issue (for me, PP was the final nail in the franchise's coffin--so I don't regard this as the unholy desecration some make it out to be). I wish Konami would make different (non MGS) games that either use the Fox Engine, or sell it off to another company.