* * * * - 26 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#24871 tsoul   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   425 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:52 PM

Well, finally finished with all characters on the Octopath Traveler demo. Two things I want to mention. I seemed to have run into a bug while playing the Archer/Hunter/Pokemon Trainer. She starts in a heavily wooded area with a bunch of foreground trees. Most of the time the opacity on these was 0% making it really god damned annoying to move around when I couldn't see a damned thing. Did anyone else get that? I also feel that her battle mechanic will be overly cumbersome unless you know exactly what to capture.

Second, my god. I did a run where I recruited a third characters in one go and the boss for the third recruit had a stupid amount of health. It took me like four times longer to kill the damned boss because of its increased health. It wasn't really any more difficult, just more annoying by how much extra health it had. Especially when compared to the boss I took on for the second party members story where I had two characters. I dread how much health a boss will have when you have four people in your party.

I didn't remember the Huntress' forest section hard to navigate. And I think her capture mechanic isn't really crucial. Seems like it provides more attack types to fill in gaps from your party.

As for the boss scaling, it was a fair difficulty spike. You get another member to break and boost. Also, later skills and passives seems to synergize pretty well with certain parties.

#24872 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5659 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:33 PM

I didn't remember the Huntress' forest section hard to navigate. And I think her capture mechanic isn't really crucial. Seems like it provides more attack types to fill in gaps from your party.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I just ran into a bug that caused opacity to not work for a good portion of the time and it would randomly work after battle on occasion for short spurts. It was really frustrating since foreground trees took up 90% of the screen space and hopefully I won't run into it on the full game. Watched some YouTube videos after I played through her and the videos I saw had their opacity working fine, nor did find anybody mention it using keyword searching in some forums.

EDIT: This also occured to me in town. When I first started, all I could mostly see was foreground trees. Went to talk to the Chief and still trees blocking my view. Had to "feel around" the area where I had to duel the two guys in town, but after dueling the first one the trees in town became transparent for the rest of the demo. Unfortunately the forest wasn't as kind.

#24873 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4796 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:21 PM

Resident Evil 2 Remake To Be Showcased At San Diego Comic-Con; Surprises Teased

Sony’s Yoshida on the Need To Push the Art of Making AAA Games and the Uselessness of Half-Baked Modes

Kill la Kill: The Game Plays Like A Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Game By Arc System Works

Nintendo Discusses Making IP Usage, Including iTunes Game OST Releases

Nintendo plans to share a few more details on Switch Online before September’s launch

Nintendo looking to release roughly 20-30 indie games on Switch per week in the future

#24874 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   543 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:27 AM

Nintendo looking to release roughly 20-30 indie games on Switch per week in the future

20 games a week??? Who do they think is going to buy these games that bundlers can’t give away.

#24875 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40026 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:24 AM

Considering how awful the eshop layout is and how easily games get buried, adding 20-30 games a week is a great idea.

#24876 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6586 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:04 PM

20 games a week??? Who do they think is going to buy these games that bundlers can’t give away.

Yeah, how about they actually offer some first party games? Instead of trying to redirect people's attention away from that fact by claiming 20 games a week(most of which is probably garbage). What the hell these guys where doing leading up to the NS release just boggles my mind.

Outside of the many ports, we got a new 3D Mario & Zelda games, both of which probably started life as U titles. We know for Zelda that was the case, and I personally think Mario was the same. Since Mario was earlier in development, and was never shown, it just got bumped to the NS.

For a company that combined Handheld and console development years ago, as to not spread themselves to thin supporting 2 active systems, I'm just not seeing the fruits of that. Well in to the U's cycle, they complained of coming to grips with HD development, and that was the reason for not having more games more often. So what's the excuse now? It's amazing the NS is selling like it is, but I honestly can't understand why? There are no games, and the ones it has, are cheaper and better elsewhere.

#24877 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4796 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

Atelier Rorona DX, Atelier Totori DX, Atelier Meruru DX Announced For PS4 And Switch

Spoiler

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT Reveals Final Fantasy VIII’s Rinoa Heartilly As New Playable Character

Spoiler

FromSoftware Announces Release Date for Armored Core’s Massive 20th Anniversary Soundtrack

Black Clover: Quartet Knights for PS4 and PC Shows Mars in Action in New Trailer

Spoiler

Shining Resonance Refrain Trailer Highlights Its Characters, Dragons, And B.A.N.D. System

Spoiler

God Wars’ Latest Trailer Shows Off The Labyrinth Of Yomi Expansion

Spoiler

#24878 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36691 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:22 PM

*looks sadly at Plus versions of all three games sitting in backlog*

#24879 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5659 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

Now the question is, if it gets localized... Will it be the NISA translation with Esty Dee or will it be an equally poor translation by Koei Tecmo?

I'll probably buy them at some point if they get brought over. I'd wager they'll end up on PC too if they get localized. Chances are we'll eventually see the same for the Dusk trilogy eventually as well.

#24880 NeoMonk  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

Boy am I glad and never caved buying the VITA trilogy, DAY ONE on Switch! 

#24881 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5659 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:37 PM

Weekly free PSN junk:

Yakuza Kiwami 2

PS4

- Demo (Alt Link)

Doesn't look like there's anything else thread related that's popped in since last Tuesday.

#24882 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5659 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

Amazon/Twitch Prime's July PC Games continued:

https://www.twitch.tv/prime

Has Deponia Doomsday that takes place after the original trilogy, along with the past five games as well as it being the last day to claim Battle Chef Brigade. I'll post again when Tyranny is up, which should be next Monday.

#24883 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   645 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

Now the question is, if it gets localized... Will it be the NISA translation with Esty Dee or will it be an equally poor translation by Koei Tecmo?

I'll probably buy them at some point if they get brought over. I'd wager they'll end up on PC too if they get localized. Chances are we'll eventually see the same for the Dusk trilogy at some point as well.

They actually had the same translation team until Lydie & Suelle, just under the company name acttil. L&S changed it to an Asia English translation handled in house at Gust with no dubbed voices. That being said they kept character names, but I don't think they did any puns in the localization.

Why this matters is because if they really did drop acttil and don't license the old translation, there very well could be a new name.

#24884 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4796 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:58 AM

Atelier: The Alchemist of Arland 1-2-3 DX Remasters for PS4 and Nintendo Switch Get First Screenshots

VR Figure from Shining for PlayStation VR Gets Inevitable Bikini and Schoolgirl Day-One DLC

Visual Novel Yu-No for PS4 and PC Gets First Trailer for Western Release

Spoiler

Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists adds Rorona, Totori, Firis, more

Dragon Ball FighterZ and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 news to be shared during a live stream this month

Code Vein Delayed to 2019 to “Exceed Expectations” of the Fans

Fighting EX Layer To Add Vulcano Rosso And Pullum Purna As Free DLC Characters

Nintendo Switch Units With Patched Hardware Vulnerability Spotted

Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC Gets Charming New Trailer

Spoiler

12 minutes of Warriors Orochi 4 gameplay, screenshots

Spoiler

Yakuza series producer on Switch, Xbox One, Yakuza 0-2, Binary Domain 2, more

#24885 tsoul   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   425 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

I don't mind code vein being delayed if they are actually trying to improve it instead of fixing major issues. This will relax my Fall schedule.

Just don't release it around the end of Jan 2019 or early Feb 2019...

#24886 dnl2ba   Inadvertent collector CAGiversary!   405 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:02 PM

The Atelier Arland Trilogy on Switch hasn't even been announced for the West, but I'm already seeing benefits. For example, a 3rd party seller appears to be clearing stock on the PS3 trilogy collections for US ($30) and EU ($25), which triggered my camel3 alerts. I ordered a US copy.

US: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B015KJAKZK/
EU: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B00RZ4BTB8/

#24887 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   645 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:22 PM

FYI the Amazon sale page has a note on Rorona DX that the 3DS content additions are not included.

#24888 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7340 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:56 PM

After playing through the Octopath Traveler demo I am eagerly awaiting the game's release on Friday.  So far, this game is right up my alley.   I love the music, the art direction, and the atmosphere.   I'm also considering buying the full soundtrack off of Amazon.jp right now for $44. 

#24889 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4324 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:24 PM

and it was a fantastic game.

I couldn't even finish it.  Its "gameplay" was too hands off for me.  And drippy was too insulting for what I could make out it saying.  Never have I thought about murdering a mascot more.

#24890 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   543 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:00 PM

I couldn't even finish it. Its "gameplay" was too hands off for me. And drippy was too insulting for what I could make out it saying. Never have I thought about murdering a mascot more.

Did you mean to quote something from two years ago? Cause I have no idea what the context is.

#24891 Markmallow  

Markmallow

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:22 PM

Did you mean to quote something from two years ago? Cause I have no idea what the context is.

I’m pretty sure he meant to post in the GameStop thread, because Drippy is the mascot in Ni No Kuni and they were talking about that game over there.

#24892 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   543 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:08 PM

I’m pretty sure he meant to post in the GameStop thread, because Drippy is the mascot in Ni No Kuni and they were talking about that game over there.

I see. I didn’t finish that one either. To much “old Jrpg grinding” in the end game for me to platinum it.

I might have found a bug in Shining RR. I try to open a treasure chest and it says something like ‘you can’t hold any more detox bottle”. But I only have seven of them, and can craft more.

#24893 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2969 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:08 PM

Yeah, that two year old quote tripped me out.

#24894 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5659 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:13 PM

I might have found a bug in Shining RR. I try to open a treasure chest and it says something like ‘you can’t hold any more detox bottle”. But I only have seven of them, and can craft more.

You can only hold ten, so I assume the chest contained more than three. Same thing happened to me with that chest except I had ten at the time. Quests on the other hand will ask if you want to discard the extra if you're over the limit.

#24895 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4324 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

Thats odd.  I can only assume the go to first unread post bugged up or something.  As people were discussing ces and les then someone mentioned the only ce they own is for ninokuni.  

#24896 Thermopyle  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:18 PM

Thats odd.  I can only assume the go to first unread post bugged up or something.  As people were discussing ces and les then someone mentioned the only ce they own is for ninokuni.  

Usually when that happens to me it's because my login expired, which resets the posts per page count to the default of like 10 or whatever and sends you way back in time. If you hit reply and then logged in based on the response, then that can create a necro.

#24897 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2700 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:08 PM

#24898 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4796 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:45 AM

Valneer of the Dragon Star Gets New Screenshots and Details on Famitsu

Shenmue I & II HD Will Remove Brand Products And Cut Load Times

Super Dragon Ball Heroes Is Part Of The Dragon Ball North America Tour 2018

Capcom Officially Announces Monster Hunter: Legends of the Guild Animated Special

Japanese Steins;Gate Elite commercial

Spoiler

Scans roundup – Jake Hunter Detective Story: Ghost of the Dusk, Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists

Super Neptunia RPG opening movie

Spoiler

God Eater 3 details Zeke Pennywort, Barbarius, Burst Plugins, and Installing Skills

#24899 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2592 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:58 AM

My copies of the Muv-Luv games arrived today. It's too bad that I'm out house-sitting at the moment. I don't have my Vita or my PS TV with me at the moment, and I'll likely have to wait until next week before I can give them a spin.

#24900 nagpo  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:41 AM

glad i still have my original copies. Not getting this anymore.