* * * * - 27 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#26191 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4156 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:29 PM

Has anyone else taken a look at their Fist of the North Star decals yet? Just wondering if they're all the same, or if different copies come with different decals.

Mine were "Hidebu" and "Shitballs."

#26192 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   916 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:46 PM

I just saw the new Overwatch items. I'm going to have to redownload it just to redeem Pharah's skin. I'll probably play enough to get the weekly loot boxes. I have 30K gold, so I don't need to worry about it.

I think there's been two new characters and two new maps since I last played. And quite a bit of reworks.

I started playing again recently in between different games and the new stuff i've noticed was new character is wrecking ball, reworks for sym & ana.  I heard there's a torb rework too, but not sure if that's live in the newest patch with the halloween event.

EDIT: new map is Busan AFAIK and Rialto maybe from the last anniversary event

#26193 dsman3717   Saber is Life CAGiversary!   677 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

dsman3717

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:42 PM

Hmm, if it's coming out in Japan with English subtitles, I'm wondering if I should get that instead of the version XSEED is working on.

It all depends on how long XSEED takes for their localization, I guess. Plus, they're only working on the PS4 and Vita versions (since Switch version was barely announced today)

I'm conflicted.

#26194 NeoMonk  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:52 PM

Famitsu Persona Q2 Scans

Spoiler

Peach Ball Senran Kagura New Switch Trailer

#26195 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4862 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:14 PM

Dragon Quest Builders 2 New Screenshots Show New Buildings, Relocating Characters Between Islands

Resident Evil 2 Remake Gets Latest Gameplay Footage In 4K Featuring Claire vs. Licker

Spoiler

Nier: Automata Flare Figure 2B Deluxe and Standard editions are now up for preorder

Warriors Orochi 4 Gets New Trailer Showing Kyubi in Action

Spoiler

Swery Talks About How The Missing Started, Using Beauty To Balance Out Cruelty

Margaret From Persona 4 Introduced In A Persona Q2 Character Trailer

Fire Emblem: Binding Blade & Blazing Blade soundtrack to be released in Japan

Famitsu has stopped tracking Wii U hardware sales in Japan, final number is 3,303,541

SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy – Skullo Mania gameplay footage

Spoiler

Jump Force adds Pegasus Seiya, Dragon Shiryu from Saint Seiya

Spoiler

Gal Metal launches October 30 in North America, November 2 in Europe

#26196 dsman3717   Saber is Life CAGiversary!   677 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

dsman3717

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

I got extremely excited when I started reading this sentence, thinking it was going to say Remakes were coming. But it's just soundtracks :(

#26197 Markmallow  

Markmallow

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:47 PM

Dragon’s Crown Pro Standard Edition is $19.99 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.c...uNYL&ref=plSrch

#26198 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11843 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:03 PM

It's also worth noting that if you still have GCU, you can get the Battle Hardened Edition for $23.99 at Best Buy.

#26199 cloudmd23   Tojo Clan Member CAGiversary!   195 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:09 PM

Has anyone else taken a look at their Fist of the North Star decals yet? Just wondering if they're all the same, or if different copies come with different decals.

Mine were "Hidebu" and "Shitballs."

That's what mine say as well.

#26200 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4377 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:15 PM

I got extremely excited when I started reading this sentence, thinking it was going to say Remakes were coming. But it's just soundtracks :(

would love remakes of those.  Especially binding blade because A. it was never localized and B. it badly needs one.  There is no way in hell I am EVER recruiting percival again.

#26201 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1522 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:20 AM

Good catch.  Also sub $20 preowned from GS.  There were multiple copies with steelbook in my closest store so I just sprung on one of those.

#26202 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2965 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:44 AM

The one with the clear face and removable skirt is $65 more... they knew what they were doing...

#26203 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4862 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:26 AM

Capcom Aiming for Annual Core IP Releases in Growing Global Consumer and Console Market

God Eater 3 PS4 Demo Released; Playable Only Until October 21st

ESRB rates Corpse Party: Blood Drive for Switch

Classic Beat ‘Em Up Series Golden Axe Is Getting A Stage Play In Japan

Project Judge Gets Tons of 1080p Screenshots Showing Fighting, New Characters, and More

Catherine: Full Body Reveals DLC Voice by Haruka Tomatsu

SEGA is Opening a New Studio in Sofia, Bulgaria to Assist with QA

Dragon Quest XI Patch 1.01 Gives People More Name Options And Adds Graphic Settings

#26204 Tora Chan   Making gainz and taking names CAGiversary!   625 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:00 PM

Are there any games that you all could recommend that are similar to the Breath of Fire series? I've been having a huge urge to play a Japanese RPG style game like that one, where you can level up your characters, turn-based combat, great story, along with various activities you can do on the side. I loved fishing in the Breath of Fire series XD

#26205 Boss   [Removed by Admin] CAGiversary!   1985 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:17 PM

Are there any games that you all could recommend that are similar to the Breath of Fire series? I've been having a huge urge to play a Japanese RPG style game like that one, where you can level up your characters, turn-based combat, great story, along with various activities you can do on the side. I loved fishing in the Breath of Fire series XD

What system? If you're talking SNES or PS1, theres a lot.

#26206 Tora Chan   Making gainz and taking names CAGiversary!   625 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

What system? If you're talking SNES or PS1, theres a lot.

Maybe PS1, especially ones that can be played on the PS Vita. I went through all of my Breath of Fire games on the Vita and was looking for good games that were similar

#26207 JCAll   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1963 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:27 PM

Maybe PS1, especially ones that can be played on the PS Vita. I went through all of my Breath of Fire games on the Vita and was looking for good games that were similar

Have you played Wild Arms?

#26208 Tora Chan   Making gainz and taking names CAGiversary!   625 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:49 PM

Have you played Wild Arms?

No, I actually (shamefully admitted) never heard of it. I'll check it out though, thanks!

#26209 baboonfreak   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1106 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

baboonfreak

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:04 PM

I'd recommend Suikoden II if you haven't played that one yet. Probably my favorite turn based rpg and it is playable on Vita.

#26210 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19897 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:13 PM

The Trails in the Sky (PSP) are better than the 2 Breath of Fire

#26211 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1522 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:18 PM

Love that series but today I would point someone to the PC versions on steam.  Especially now that the 3rd is available as well.  Need Crossbell!

#26212 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5675 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:25 PM

No, I actually (shamefully admitted) never heard of it. I'll check it out though, thanks!

Wild Arms has a PS2 remake called Wild Arms Alter Code: F I believe. It makes it a bit more playable as the first one is a little bit rough around the edges. I liked Wild Arms 2, but didn't care for 3 which was on PS2. 4 & 5 were also PS2 and not quite as good as the earlier ones, but they were still decent.

You've also got Suikoden 1-2 on PS and 3-5 on PS2 like mentioned earlier. You can ignore the 3DS one. Tactics I think was alright if memory serves. A lot of people disliked 4, but I didn't view it as that bad. Most hate I heard about it was because nobody knew there was a button to speed up sailing bits.

Arc the Lad 1-3 are on PS but are SRPGs instead of standard turn-based RPGs. First one is a bit rough, however it's short and gives backstory to the second which is really good in my opinion. Third is decent, but not terribly great. The rest that are on the PS2 (Twilight of the Spirits and End of Darkness) were pretty terrible in my opinion.

Trails in the Sky and Trails in the Sky SC are on PSP. The third one is only on PC in English. Honestly the PC version is better because of the built-in improvements (turbo mode and such) as well as script improvement patches that the PSP version never received. Like usual, I highly recommend this series.

Grandia is on PS while Grandia 2 is on PS2. Though both are being brought to the Switch this Winter that are HD Remasters. Otherwise the HD Remasters are only on PC in English. Grandia 3 is pretty meh, but the battle system is still solid. Pass on Grandia Xtreme unless you enjoy grinding in the series.

Tales of Destiny and Tales of Destiny II (Also known as Tales of Eternia). Solid games and unfortunately we never received the real Tales of Destiny 2 or the directors cut of the first one. I really enjoyed Tales of Eternia, but Tales of Destiny isn't remotely as good as the directors cut. It's still decent though.

I'll go ahead and throw in Alundra as well. It's not an RPG and is more of an Action-Adventure similar to Zelda. I remember enjoying my time with this game quite a bit.

Lunar 1 & 2. I'm not going to really say much about them, but I'm sure you've heard of them if you haven't played them. Easily the most 90s anime themed of the lot. Although Grandia isn't far behind.

Legend of the Dragoon I'll put in as my final one even though I could probably spout off more. It has a unique timing system similar to Shadow Hearts which is a PS2 series. Granted the origin of Shadow Hearts is Koudelka, which was on the PS.

There are of course more. Lots more. These are a good amount of the ones that have series, whether they're directly connected to each other or not. Except for the final one which isn't apart of any series.

EDIT: There's also a lesser known Action RPG that was released extremely late on the PSP life cycle here. It's called Brandish and is an older style game. It is a bit of a top-down dungeon crawler where enemies move when you do. Has a fair bit of puzzles, but it's pretty good.

#26213 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8961 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:16 AM

Lots of VN news!

First of all Mangagamer released Bitter Exclusion. A nukige with some NTR = not for me.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Mangagamer is also having a moeday sale till 10/17.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Mangagamer also put Evenicle (an eroge RPG) on Steam. It's pretty good, but it's easily a toned down Rance type game. Still lots of love making and other acts of eroge. This is an 18+ game.

Steam (18+ game)

Eden* Mosaic 18+ DLC was also released on Steam. This is the adult content for the highly regarded VN.

Steam

Sekai Project published two VR VNs on Steam. They are two Innocent Forest 1 and 2 from MyDearest Inc. I don't have VR so no buy for me.

Innocent Forest 1 Steam

Innocent Forest 2 Steam

Also release date announced for the Sekai Project translated The Ditzy Demons Are in Love With Me. It is 10/26/2018, which is also around Loca-Love's release date (10/25) and same as Sanoba Witch's release date. All 3 I'm getting but wow....lots of good VNs there IMHO. Note Ditzy Demons is considered a nukige so 18+ version likely highly recommended and will be the version I get! My Halloween will be awesome  :razz:.

Jast USA is also having a moe sale till 10/14.

Jast USA (NSFW)

Jast USA announced 12/19/2018 as their release date for BL game Sweet Pool.

Also as I mentioned before some VNs need your help. They are on Kickstarter with a few more days remaining and both need help. They are VenusBlood Frontier and Loca-Love.

VenusBlood Frontier Kickstarter with about 7 days to go and needing a bit over 6k.

Loca-Love Kickstarter with 35 hours to go needing about $2,370. This is for physical goodies, but also offers a discount Steam code, which is what I'm pledging.

I'm backing Loca-Love, but will back the other one if needed. If you want physical goodies or VenusBlood they can use some help.

anon released 3 translation patches for KanoB*tch, Nariyuki Papakatsu Girls, and Sobo to Boku. Not going to lie,none of these are for me,but i'll give a little description of each.

Kano - A revenge game about a guy seeing his childhood friend and getting angry and jealous.

Girls - A game where a girl is bored. She has a friend engaging in acts for money and convinces her to try it because it's fun.

Sobo - A guy loves his grandma a lot and she is eager to please.

Kano VNDB (18+)

Girls VNDB (18+)

Sobo VNDB (18+)

Another translation released is Bishoujo Mangekyou from omegastar translated by Euphemic Translation. It's about a teacher in an all girl school who hasn't done anything to his students, but he meets a goth loli vampire and stuff happens. It looks OK and supposedly is animated, so I might check it out somewhere down the line.

VNDB (NSFW)

Lots of news and help out the Kickstarters if you want to, which I gladly will.

#26214 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4862 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:39 AM

#26215 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36774 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:07 AM

ahwg.gif

#26216 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   3952 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:14 AM

It's Sony being triggered again just like they were with Omega Labyrinth Z.

#26217 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11581 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:21 AM

Yeah. But at least Re:Newal is coming out and not completely dead in the water like poor Omega Labyrinth Z

#26218 EdJericho   2.5D Seiyuu Fanboy CAGiversary!   815 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:23 AM

#26219 NeoMonk  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:38 AM

Yeah. But at least Re:Newal is coming out and not completely dead in the water like poor Omega Labyrinth Z

It's releasing on Switch instead, no biggie  :-

#26220 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4377 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:28 AM

they are not worth playing on the vita though.