* * * * - 26 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#26251 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4646 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:45 PM

I just hope that everyone is reasonable enough to not punish Xseed for this. Taking them completely at their word, this was not their call, and the game wasn't getting released without this change. This does open the door to a larger conversation about censorship and Sony's actions/policies, but Xseed should really be exempt from that conversation when they're not calling the shots. I bet everyone would be more pissed off if there was no localized release at all, and it appears making that choice was the lovely situation they they were put in. 

#26252 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8928 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:47 PM

I wont go on much about this censorship (I did so already so many times with Steam and now am happy with how Steam is). I will still buy the game, even though it may just be some whatever beat em up. I may be one of the few that liked the actual beat em up side scrolling style used in the 3DS games and finds the 3D Warriors style beat em ups kind of tired and repetitive. Dislike how nuclear Sony has gone, but who knows what their higher ups are thinking. Still getting the game to support XSEED mainly.

#26253 dsman3717   Saber is Life CAGiversary!   671 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

dsman3717

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, I don't know how to feel about the last-minute censorship of Senran Kagura. I was wondering if I should cancel my pre-order or not. I don't care what the content is, but having to remove something for a different audience does not jive with me at all. Even more so when the content cut is allowed on one platform, but not the other. (Steam vs. Sony)

I guess importing a Japanese copy is always an option, since I've imported previous entries before. (Might need to brush up on my lacking Japanese though) 

This whole situation reminds me of that interactive minigame in Fire Emblem Fates that was removed/toned down and then everyone rioted. Then Sony fanboys kept saying, "lol Nintendo censoring content, Sony would never do that". And look where we are now  :shock: . Guess we had a good run....

#26254 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4843 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:42 PM

Disgaea 5 Complete PC Launch Date Set For October 22, 2018

Four More Corpse Party PC Games Being Released In English

House Of The Dead: Scarlet Dawn Trailer Looks At Its Heroes And Villain

Spoiler

Sony is Preparing the Next Generation PS5 Marketing Campaign, Job Advertisement Suggests

New SoulCalibur VI Trailer Shows the Basics of Combat

Spoiler

Capcom on Mega Man 11 – how the series returned, only 40 devs, why pixel art wasn’t used, more

#26255 JohnnySako   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   518 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

JohnnySako

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:13 PM

I don’t understand the disconnect between the ESRB and Sony. How is the ESRB able to rate SK (and OLZ) as Mature, if both are apparently non-compliant with Sony’s standards, especially considering a feature like Intimacy Mode? Why even have the ESRB if Sony pulls this crap at the 11th hour like they did with SK and OLZ.

I cancelled my SK preorder for financial reasons only as I spent too much on games lately. Damn you, Play-Asia lol.

#26256 elessar123  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:37 PM

I'm a fan of Senran Kagura, and since I first saw Intimacy mode I thought it was creepy. The girls shriek and cover up when you touch them. The kiss at the end doesn't make it any better. The idea that if you ignore her protests she'll eventually give in makes it more disturbing.

What's not sexy about Stockholm Syndrome? /s

#26257 FlawlesslyFatal   $15 or less CAGiversary!   1236 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

FlawlesslyFatal

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:49 PM

I don’t understand the disconnect between the ESRB and Sony. How is the ESRB able to rate SK (and OLZ) as Mature, if both are apparently non-compliant with Sony’s standards, especially considering a feature like Intimacy Mode? Why even have the ESRB if Sony pulls this crap at the 11th hour like they did with SK and OLZ.

I cancelled my SK preorder for financial reasons only as I spent too much on games lately. Damn you, Play-Asia lol.

In the case of OLZ, rating board from other countries won't rate it, many media outlets began to run stories about it, Sony perceived as a negative PR, they panicked and decided to bury the game altogether. It crazy to think our ESRB more open minded than other countries rating boards.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

#26258 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   656 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:46 PM

It seems pretty clear to me that the current focus is on games with a touching feature where you the player are directly causing distress to the character. Since it's not a major feature in Senran Kagura, the programmers probably took all of 5 minutes to dummy out the menu option and stay compliant with Sony's wishes. Omega Labyrinth had a whole check system based around the touching mechanic and couldn't remove it. The fact the characters are high school students just added to the issue.

#26259 FlawlesslyFatal   $15 or less CAGiversary!   1236 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

FlawlesslyFatal

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:54 PM

Playstation Support UK tried to justify SK censorship, let just say it didn't go well

#26260 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   656 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:03 PM

Xseed had the best plan announcing it late on a Friday night the same day you could see all the ninja girls actually naked in an anime.

#26261 BMXJouster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1287 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:11 PM

Four Corpse Party games coming to Steam soon

#26262 spoderman  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:17 PM

It's about damn time. It's too bad they aren't porting the 3DS version of the original Corpe Party though.. or even the PSP version. It's not worth playing the Steam version if you're new to the series, the sprites used are atrocious, and while I'm kind of interested in hearing the alternate voice acting used, that and the additional chapter aren't worth playing it over 3DS.

I'm excited to finally play Dead Patient, wasn't sure if that was ever getting localized.

#26263 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5673 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:32 PM

It's about damn time. It's too bad they aren't porting the 3DS version of the original Corpe Party though.. or even the PSP version. It's not worth playing the Steam version if you're new to the series, the sprites used are atrocious, and while I'm kind of interested in hearing the alternate voice acting used, that and the additional chapter aren't worth playing it over 3DS.

Since the 3DS version is an enhanced version of the PSP remake of the PC version, it could potentially happen if the newer ones hitting PC sell decently well. I'm sure there will be at least some outcry for it since not everybody can stand the original updated non-RPGMaker graphics.

#26264 Dead_Batteries   Voltaic Pile CAGiversary!   1060 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Dead_Batteries

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:12 PM

Looking pretty good.

#26265 lutz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1264 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:29 PM

Anybody know if there's a place to order besides Amazon?

Looking pretty good.

#26266 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2729 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:41 PM

I think a lot of games would be improved with an Intimacy Mode.

Overwatch
Nier:Automata
I couldn't decide which punchline I liked best, so here's a handful of my favorites. Try them out and see which one you prefer.

Ms Pac Man
Battletoads
Kirby Star Allies
Tetris
Civilization

#26267 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36716 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:42 PM

Anybody know if there's a place to order besides Amazon?

Not yet. I'm waiting for Best Buy so I can get that sweet GCU discount.

#26268 spoderman  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:21 PM

Since the 3DS version is an enhanced version of the PSP remake of the PC version, it could potentially happen if the newer ones hitting PC sell decently well. I'm sure there will be at least some outcry for it since not everybody can stand the original updated non-RPGMaker graphics.

I'm kind of doubting the newer ones will sell well since it's a niche series, but who knows. I'm surprised we're even getting them on steam since I thought the original Corpse Party would've sold like crap.

BTW, for anyone interested.. Blood Drive was poorly optimized on Vita, there were bugs and framerate issues (some stuttering and crashing). I personally never had any issues with it crashing, but it was a common problem. The PC version may end up being superior if it gets optimized and the bugs are fixed.

#26269 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3006 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:37 PM

Overwatch
I couldn't decide which punchline I liked best, so here's a handful of my favorites. Try them out and see which one you prefer.

Ms Pac Man
Battletoads
Kirby Star Allies
Tetris
Civilization

Battletoads. <3 Pimple-chan

#26270 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3524 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:51 PM

Overwatch

Ms Pac Man
Battletoads
Kirby Star Allies
Tetris
Civilization

Mortal Kombat. I've always wanted to get freaky with Mileena.

#26271 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4347 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:04 AM

Not yet. I'm waiting for Best Buy so I can get that sweet GCU discount.

should keep an eye out on crunchyroll as well since they sold the originals for steep discount for preorder.

#26272 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2960 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:48 AM

Looking pretty good.

It's says it's a Day 1 edition, so it's limited right? After the 1st batch is sold out, it'll revert back to standard copies? Or is there another standard edition, and this is the collector's edition?

Also, the wording makes it seem like the coin is inside the steelbook, which could be pretty cool.

Overwatch

Ms Pac Man
Battletoads
Kirby Star Allies
Tetris
Civilization

Here's my personal favorite: Fire Emblem.

#26273 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1454 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:42 AM

It's says it's a Day 1 edition, so it's limited right? After the 1st batch is sold out, it'll revert back to standard copies? Or is there another standard edition, and this is the collector's edition?

Based on the current descriptions and the track record of how CSI was physically released on ps3 and vita, my assumption is that the Decisive and Relentless editions will be Day 1 / limited.  Similar to how the Lionheart Edition was handled.

I went ahead and put in a preorder while I decide if I actually need one or both of these.  I love the series (been hooked since the ending of TitS:FC) but they really seem like just ported versions of the enhanced CS! & II pc/steam releases, which I bought day 1 and have been enjoying.  I also believe the PS4 version was originally announced as the first two games together in a collection, so maybe someone decided to split the releases and throw in collectible stuff.  I do like the Decisive edition most, so maybe I'll just get that one and unload the disc.

#26274 Batto47  

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:47 AM

XSEED mentioned in the comments that currently these editions are the only physical editions planned, but no telling what the future holds.

#26275 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1228 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:51 AM

No reason to boycott XSeed and SK, just buy it on steam instead of PS4. If sales heavily favor one platform over the other, I think that would send a better message than no sales at all.

#26276 FlawlesslyFatal   $15 or less CAGiversary!   1236 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

FlawlesslyFatal

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:07 AM

if Sony really double down on their new policy, anyone else think previous SK games like Estival Versus and Peach Beach Splash are in danger of getting pulled from PSN?

#26277 lutz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1264 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:14 AM

Would be awesome if XSeed offered free dlc patch that reenable the feature. I don't play that series, but censorship seems hypocritical considering the other content is allowed.

Too bad the niche community can't put the same pressure the Fortnite group can. Remember when Sony thought isolating their players was a good idea?

#26278 opportunity777   Disco Fever CAGiversary!   5186 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

opportunity777

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:18 AM

First SK I'm gonna pass on. I'll import instead.

Best policy is to not localize, which is what I wish NISA did with Criminal Girls 1+2. 

I'd rather push for an Asian-English-only release, such as, what TK did with DOA Xtreme 3.

#26279 deadofnight   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   813 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

deadofnight

Posted 16 October 2018 - 06:03 AM

if Sony really double down on their new policy, anyone else think previous SK games like Estival Versus and Peach Beach Splash are in danger of getting pulled from PSN?

I don't think we have to worry about Estival Versus or Peach Beach Splash getting pulled. If anything they will just get a patch to remove Intimacy. If you want to avoid that possibility move the games to an external drive, and disable automatic update downloads whenever you use that drive. But, you won't be able to use online features anymore.

Actually, you might have to play those game while not connected to PSN as well. I'm not sure if you can cancel updates when you start a game up. Even if you can you'd have to hope it's not a small update that beats you to canceling it. Once you get it the only way to revert to an earlier version is going to 1.00 on a disc copy.

#26280 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4099 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 October 2018 - 06:17 AM

The ESRB is not the be-all and end-all authority on what makes a game acceptable. It is, and always have been, an optional guide, run by a third party company--and let's be honest, historically the ESRB has made some pretty questionable judgments, both in heavy-handedness and being overly cavalier. And you'd better believe that any company that wants to have control over what it allows to be licensed for its platform is going to have its own vetting system. And honestly, that's the way it should be in a free market. A company shouldn't have to allow a product they disapprove of to be associated with their own product just because of what someone else thinks it's okay.

I won't say I approve of Sony's policy in this case, but ESRB approval has zero bearing on what a company like Sony allows to be licensed for its consoles.