* * * * - 27 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#27451 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1255 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:22 AM

In case anyone else was wondering..  there are two free dlc packs for Vesperia which are available on all platforms but do not show on the game's eshop page.  However right now you can manually search for them and add them to your account, even if you're like me and are still waiting on a shipment to arrive.

Thanks for the heads up!

https://store.playst...OV8ADDCONTENT02

https://store.playst...OV8ADDCONTENT01

#27452 elessar123  

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:14 AM

Babel is more polished than abyss. I personally think those 2 are lower middle tier Drpg for vita, not horrible like mind zero, but not as good as demon gaze 1 or 2.

Curious, but did you play Demon Gaze 2? I tried for 20ish hours, and it's nowhere near as good as 1.

#27453 superxgaga   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   291 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

superxgaga

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:29 AM

Curious, but did you play Demon Gaze 2? I tried for 20ish hours, and it's nowhere near as good as 1.

I got plat on both, 1 is def better in term of art style, music, and many things, but couple chars in 2 kinda grew on me too. I like em both and hope for a demon gaze 3 on switch or ps4 in the future.

#27454 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9155 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:43 AM

I felt the party customization was a little lacking in Demon Gaze 1. Have 2, but haven't played it yet. I'm more used to like Etrian Odyssey type where you can customize your skills and such. Demon Gaze 1 was extremely polished though and easier for newer dungeon crawling players I'm guessing.

#27455 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4540 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:21 PM

Trillion god of destruction is 1.99 on fanatical. The sale is for a week. https://www.fanatica...-of-destruction

hdn 4 goddesses online is 4.99 https://www.fanatica...oddesses-online
dark rose valkyrie is 4.49 https://www.fanatica...k-rose-valkyrie

#27456 Ibacai  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:50 AM

If anyone is looking for Valkyrie Chronicles 4 GameFly has it on sale for $24.99.

https://www.gamefly....icles-4/5016784

I know you can get it for like $30 brand new on eBay but I just wanted to help anyone if possible.

#27457 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1621 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:19 AM

If anyone is looking for Valkyrie Chronicles 4 GameFly has it on sale for $24.99.

Also $25 on amazon new, $20 through AWD right now.  Great game and worth it either way!

#27458 Ibacai  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:01 PM

Also $25 on amazon new, $20 through AWD right now. Great game and worth it either way!

Well, that is definitely much better than what I posted. Cheers!

#27459 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2658 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:11 PM

It appears to be slowly creeping downwards. I put in an order on Amazon around $23.80. It's worth a lot more than that, but I also don't know when it will bottom out. It could go even lower than this. It appears that retailers are looking to clearance it out. They did something similar for the previous Valkyria: Revolution game. Of course, that title had a considerably more tepid critical response. (is not considered very good) 4 is supposed to be great though, so it's worth keeping an eye on it for anyone interested.

#27460 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8003 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

It's amazing how much (poor) marketing has to do with a game's sales.  The same thing happened with the original Valkyria Chronicles on PS3.  They made a great game that received very good reviews and then no one bought it.   The hype machine is a real thing.  People need to hear other people, websites, and commercials talking about a game in order for publishers to sell lots of copies.  Otherwise they will just wait and buy it for $20 eventually. 

Sega is making fantastic games now and we all wait until they are $20 to buy them.  I think the bottom is going to fall out again. 

Conversely, look at Atlus games.  People buy them early so they can play them right away and be a part of the water cooler conversation.

#27461 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3802 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:52 PM

Conversely, look at Atlus games.  People buy them early so they can play them right away and be a part of the water cooler conversation.

They need to release in the proper time frame, too. Valkyria came out in late September. That's always clogged with a bunch of big name titles, so even if they did have some sort of marketing it'd be overshadowed by every other game. 

Personally, I'd like to play the game, but I never finished VC2, and only half started the third game. I'm sure it's good, but it's not exactly on my must play list of backlogged games. 

#27462 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4540 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:45 PM

Never liked valkyrie chronicles.  The hit detection in that game is shit and very buggy.  And the enemies cheat with infinite ammo and crap on your turn.  If your units shot at them the way they do during your turn they'd die before ever getting near you.  Also not a fan of how the game is so balanced towards using scouts and capture the flag is the majority of maps.  Then the few times they do different maps it's bs like the giant mega death tank.

#27463 dragonx   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   38 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:29 AM

Resident Evil 4, 5 and 6 (PS4) for 14.99 @ Best Buy.

#27464 superxgaga   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   291 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

superxgaga

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:40 AM

Never liked valkyrie chronicles.  The hit detection in that game is shit and very buggy.  And the enemies cheat with infinite ammo and crap on your turn.  If your units shot at them the way they do during your turn they'd die before ever getting near you.  Also not a fan of how the game is so balanced towards using scouts and capture the flag is the majority of maps.  Then the few times they do different maps it's bs like the giant mega death tank.

I absolutely hate the fact whole VC franchise revolves around the scout capture flag mechanic (especially late game invincible scouts). But hey, how else would a tiny country like Galia win over the imperials lol?

#27465 Tothoro  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:49 AM

Resident Evil 4, 5 and 6 (PS4) for 14.99 @ Best Buy.

Any major differences with the ports? I'm tempted to bite on the trio

#27466 Miker525  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:01 AM

Any major differences with the ports? I'm tempted to bite on the trio

Higher resolution graphics and dlc on the disc when applicable.ci think 5 & 6 both have, no dlc for 4 afaik

#27467 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9155 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:17 AM

I feel bad for Sega. Try to support them if you can. I always buy Yakuza games on release at least. I don't want a world where Yakuza games aren't localized anymore at least.

#27468 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8003 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:41 AM

I feel bad for Sega. Try to support them if you can. I always buy Yakuza games on release at least. I don't want a world where Yakuza games aren't localized anymore at least.

Exactly.  They are giving us what we want.  But how many people went out and bought the Yakuza games, Shenmue, Sonic Mania, Shining Resonance, and Valkyria Chronicles?  I don't know the #s but I'm certain that it was not many.  Sega is even launching games at attractive price points and people still don't bite. It's a sad state of affairs.  #supportSega

#27469 superxgaga   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   291 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

superxgaga

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:14 AM

Wait doesnt Sega own Atlus??

#27470 jedimario   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   244 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

jedimario

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:35 AM

Wait doesnt Sega own Atlus??

You are correct. Wikipedia and various news outlets indicate this to be correct. Additionally, Atlus’ website has SEGA copyright.

#27471 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19940 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:41 AM

Exactly.  They are giving us what we want.  But how many people went out and bought the Yakuza games, Shenmue, Sonic Mania, Shining Resonance, and Valkyria Chronicles?  I don't know the #s but I'm certain that it was not many.  Sega is even launching games at attractive price points and people still don't bite. It's a sad state of affairs.  #supportSega

Yakuza 6 just had the best western launch of the entire series.  Like superxgaga said they are basically the same company as Atlus 

#27472 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8003 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:00 AM

I'm aware that Sega bought Atlus.  However they remain separate business entities.  My primary concern is Sega not doing so hot down the line, and it affecting Atlus' business. 

#27473 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1621 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:04 AM

I absolutely hate the fact whole VC franchise revolves around the scout capture flag mechanic (especially late game invincible scouts).

So you don't have to play this way.. you can slow crawl across a map with your tank and engineers if you wanted.  But yes scout rush was the easiest and most direct way to breeze past game mechanics in previous games.  This was balanced a little better in VC4.  And there are new units just as exploitable like the APC and grenadier.

Maybe SEGA is currently just more ubisoft-like in allowing new prices to tank, moreso than other publishers.  VC4 digital was $29.99 as soon as November.  FotN: Lost Paradise released even later than VC4 and has plummeted to $19.99 in previous weeks.

#27474 superxgaga   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   291 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

superxgaga

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:29 PM

So you don't have to play this way.. you can slow crawl across a map with your tank and engineers if you wanted. But yes scout rush was the easiest and most direct way to breeze past game mechanics in previous games. This was balanced a little better in VC4. And there are new units just as exploitable like the APC and grenadier.

Maybe SEGA is currently just more ubisoft-like in allowing new prices to tank, moreso than other publishers. VC4 digital was $29.99 as soon as November. FotN: Lost Paradise released even later than VC4 and has plummeted to $19.99 in previous weeks.

Mission ranks tho

#27475 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   643 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

Mission ranks tho

VC4 gives you a lot more turns to complete missions by wiping out the map, compared to VC1 where you really had to sprint directly to the goal.

#27476 elessar123  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:37 PM

I always thought scouts being OP past a certain level was a bug. So if you want to play by exploiting it and saying it's bad, then that's partially on you.

I don't remember any issues with hit detection though?

Edit: Googling mostly confirms it? People are complaing about VC4's bad hit detection compared to VC1's.

#27477 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1621 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:50 PM

Edit: Googling mostly confirms it? People are complaing about VC4's bad hit detection compared to VC1's.

I've heard that before too and am not sure what people are complaining about.  Unless they are raging when they shoot a sniper round too close to a fence and it gets lost to an invisible wall.  I mean it's not a fps so people complaining about hit detection sound like they just wish it was one.

In vc4 scouts are squishy, often frustrated by grenadier interception fire, and have relatively bad weapons for most of the game.  Their AP advantage is no longer as large due to a shocktrooper buff.  Scouts still can be OP but mainly through an abuse of one of three things:  Defense^ orders, direct command + double movement potential, and a certain minor-spoiler weapon gained at the end of the valkyria dlc.

#27478 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2658 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:52 PM

My primary concern is Sega not doing so hot down the line, and it affecting Atlus' business. 

I wouldn't worry too much. Sega's diversification as a publisher seems to be paying off for them. They don't have the same level of "hype" as a lot of other big-name releases. But their sales for their various franchises seem to be steadily increasing, not decreasing. And the fact that they haven't been spending as big on marketing also means that they don't have as much to recoup. There's also the fact that they very frequently publish Japan-focused games, often when those games have already made a sizable number of sales in their home country. Going with a more slow-burn approach to western releases may be the better option in the long-run. Series like Yakuza may not be marketing juggernauts in the west, but the fanbase for the series has been steadily growing. And they have been consistently giving those titles localized releases.

For now, things seem to be fairly solid in the Hedgehog House.

#27479 elessar123  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

I've heard that before too and am not sure what people are complaining about.  Unless they are raging when they shoot a sniper round too close to a fence and it gets lost to an invisible wall.  I mean it's not a fps so people complaining about hit detection sound like they just wish it was one.

Yea, it's more like the X-COM style of missing, to a far lesser extent. It makes sense for the genre. I can't recall a single SRPG that had all hits be 100% hit rate.

#27480 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4822 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

I think because of the way it plays like a hybrid, people have expectations that maybe aren't in line with the actual gameplay and systems. I agree that many times it looks like your shots really should be hitting, but this is an RPG; one needs to remember that each shot is essentially a dice roll, and your perfectly aimed headshot doesn't guarantee anything.