* * * * - 27 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#27751 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4036 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:23 PM

Yessss

DyZFMwIXQAAEXiC.jpg

#27752 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1896 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:53 PM

Some new steam releases.

Funbag Fantasy - $44.99 (15% off first week discount $38.24)

header.jpg?t=1548979027

9-nine-:Episode 1 - $19.99(10% off first week discount $17.99)

header.jpg?t=1548986276

Serment - Contract with a Devil - $14.99(20% off first week discount $11.99)
header.jpg?t=1549130744

#27753 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9212 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:51 PM

Dang taking my VN/Eroge release reporter. I'm a bit hurt....not really. Really should link some VNDB action though.

You did forget Deviant Dungeon as well. It looks like a Isekai nukige. Not really my style.

Steam (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Funbag fantasy is an excellent story driven Nukige type. I really enjoyed it a lot. The sequel is not as fun, but the first is really good. Serment looks OK, but is one of those get on sale ones. Buying 9-Nine. Looks high quality and interesting. Also has a free 18+ patch here on Denpasoft.

Some more news:

Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart is coming to Steam soon. Possible questionable translation which makes me really sad as this looks pretty good. May actually be translated okay though, we don't know. All I know is I may likely get it.

Website for the game

VNDB (NSFW)

Under One Wing is being released by Sol Press on February 15th. They do an excellent job and this will be a buy for me.

VNDB (NSFW)

#27754 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1896 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:47 AM

Dang taking my VN/Eroge release reporter. I'm a bit hurt....not really. Really should link some VNDB action though.

You did forget Deviant Dungeon as well. It looks like a Isekai nukige. Not really my style.

Lol. Sorry didn't mean to steal your thunda.

#27755 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4582 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:27 AM

Lol. Sorry didn't mean to steal your thunda.

Now you are making me think of that song in the winx commercial.  Damn catchy crap that sticks in your head for decades.

Now for the subject at hand.  Funbag fantasy?  Really (-_-)'

#27756 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3809 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:02 AM

Yessss

DyZFMwIXQAAEXiC.jpg

I really don't like MMOs, but XIV has really been tempting me to try it. 

#27757 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4036 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

Give it a shot, there's a free trial if you're interested.

https://freetrial.finalfantasyxiv.com/

#27758 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8113 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:43 PM

FF XIV is incredible.  You can play it for the story, art direction, and music while having minimal interaction with other players if you want to.  The campaign is very long.   There is a lot to like even for people that don't plan on staying with it as an MMORPG. 

Any FF fan needs to try it. 

#27759 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36990 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:48 PM

FF XIV is incredible.  You can play it for the story, art direction, and music while having minimal interaction with other players if you want to.  The campaign is very long.   There is a lot to like even for people that don't plan on staying with it as an MMORPG. 

Any FF fan needs to try it. 

I've heard the same thing, but I'm just not comfortable paying a monthly fee when I have so many other games to play. :???:

#27760 Miker525  

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:14 PM

I've heard the same thing, but I'm just not comfortable paying a monthly fee when I have so many other games to play. :???:

This is exactly my feelings. I'm sure I'd honestly love the game but I have such a massive backlog that paying a monthly fee for the game is just too much

#27761 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8113 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:16 PM

You get 30 days free playtime with purchase of the regular Complete Edition.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but honestly that is a very weak reason to not try it. 

#27762 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40075 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

FF14 is great. It was free until level 35 or something along those lines. Not sure if that's still the case, but if it is no reason not to try it.

#27763 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8113 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:25 PM

I have played many MMORPGs since Everquest in my adult life.  The one notable thing about FF XIV that really stands out to me is that it is the ONLY MMO I have ever gone back to playing after quitting.

The soundtrack really is amazing too.  I want to get all five of those expensive blu-ray soundtracks off the Square Enix store eventually.  I just have the first one, Before Meteor and it is great.  It's ~6 hours long and has 104 tracks.

Here's one of the best themes in the game: Ultima Weapon boss fight.

https://youtu.be/hXrtICZyzNo?t=60

#27764 Markmallow  

Markmallow

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:35 PM

I started playing FFXIV about a week ago and have really enjoyed it so far. The free month is definitely enough time to figure out if you like the game or not. I mean I’m only a week in and can already say I’ll be paying monthly from here on out.

Also, one thing that helps is you can always cancel your subscription if you want to take a break and play other games for a while.

#27765 Dead_Batteries   Voltaic Pile CAGiversary!   1097 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Dead_Batteries

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:39 PM

I've been wanting to get back into FFXI instead and replay the story (love CoP), but the monthly cost is the same for FFXIV.

Plus these games need a lot of hours.

#27766 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1657 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:54 PM

you can always cancel your subscription if you want to take a break and play other games for a while.

This is exactly where I am at the moment.  Hadn't played a mmo since ffxi but I really enjoyed the few months of ffxiv I played at the end of last year.  Did pretty much everything I wanted to do and am now looking forward to coming back for a bit to play through the new content when it's released.

The game is up there with DQXI as the best things to come from SE recently.  Although I have yet to play Nier:A, and I guess I should in order to appreciate the new raid content that was announced.

#27767 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2190 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:41 AM

I'll also say ff14 has been extremely fun to play. this nier stuff might make me want to resub again.

#27768 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4582 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:23 AM

You get 30 days free playtime with purchase of the regular Complete Edition.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but honestly that is a very weak reason to not try it. 

I certainly can understand not wanting to try it when they want your credit card number to play for that "free" time period. 

#27769 Midori Monkey  

Midori Monkey

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:49 AM

I haven't played ffxiv since stormblood, but I'm definitely resubbing soon.  I really want to check out blue mage and the new content coming.

I always bought my time cards directly from the SE store to get points for them.  Anyone know if I still need to add that step since they merged all of their accounts?

#27770 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1896 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:26 AM

I completely forgot Etrian Odyssey Nexus is coming out this week. The end of a franchise. Sad.

#27771 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3577 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

I haven't played FFXIV since early in the first expansion, Heavensward, I believe it was.

It's a really good MMO, but it had several things I didn't like. Questing is highly repetitive and severely lacking in variety, even for MMO standards, and the amount of questing you need to do to hit max level was really high.

I also found raid bosses to be lackluster. I don't like when bosses are too scripted. As far as I can recall, every boss in FFXIV was a matter of memorization, rather than adaptation. You know exactly what move is coming up and when.

Classes themselves also felt pretty tepid. No class really felt anything more than generic, to me. Adding to that, the use of PvP only abilities, made participating in PvP on console not worth the trouble at all, due to the limitation of load-outs.

Lastly, I don't like the gear, weapon and stats systems. Classes can only equip one type of weapon and there's no real differences between them. Gear is extremely one-note, as secondary stats don't really matter and there's hardly any variety in stat distribution.

It is a beautiful game, though. The world is very nice to look at and the soundtrack is gorgeous. I still listen to several tracks just to chill out. I love the piano in the forest theme (can't remember the name of the zone... it was Black something or other). Character designs were all really cool and so was the actual lore. I also really liked the Fate encounters, although they felt overused after a while.

I'm glad I played it, and I actually want to own all the collector's editions for the game just because I enjoyed the world so much.

#27772 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4870 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

The thing that surprised me the most with XIV is just how good the story is. The writing and production values have also gone up significantly since 2.0, and they were already quite good for an MMO. I've fallen off the truck, so to speak, several times, but I do intend to get all caught up one of these days. 

#27773 Thermopyle  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:26 PM

It's not terribly long unless you're going for the plat. You could finish it in a month, I think.

#27774 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1033 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

The biggest thing for me is paying to play.  I dislike the practice of paying for the game and then having to pay regularly to continue to play something already I already paid for.  It's the main reason why most of my friends and I didn't play WoW.  I have no doubt that the game is good though, everything I've seen about it looks great.

That said, the new CE dark knight statue for XIV's new expansion looks friggin awesome.

#27775 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4870 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:46 PM

The biggest thing for me is paying to play.  I dislike the practice of paying for the game and then having to pay regularly to continue to play something already I already paid for.  It's the main reason why most of my friends and I didn't play WoW.  I have no doubt that the game is good though, everything I've seen about it looks great.

That said, the new CE dark knight statue for XIV's new expansion looks friggin awesome.

While I'm not a huge fan of that either (and I keep my sub cancelled unless I'm actively playing) the enormous amount of new content, changes, patches, balances, etc that we get (and I do mean outside of the full numbered expansions) is really impressive. Since I only sub for months that I know I'll really dig into it, it's basically really meaty DLC at a great value. And, while I'm always advocating for consumer > company, FFXIV simply could not be the game that it is and continue to get bigger and better like it has without the monthly sub cost. The thing is in a state of constant development and improvement, so it makes the money spent feel worthwhile in a way that $15 packs of bland MP maps or $5 fighting game characters don't. 

Moral of the story: Fuck Activision. 

#27776 Renzler   Dude CAG Veteran   1383 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:25 PM

Speaking of FFXIV, the starter pack is free on twitch prime right now (seems to be through May 3rd).

I played ffxi for 9 years and FFXIV for 4 years. Both great games, though FFXIV is much better for a casual experience (ffxi really required dedication after a while back in the day). I enjoyed FFXIV a ton, and if I enough time for an MMO I'd totally play it over any other MMO. Just like many MMOs, once you get through the missions it's a grind to get higher level gear, which is often just a fashion/show piece.

Edit: I do want to play the expansions starting with Stormblood. Really want to try RDM since that was my "main" on ffxi, aka I played it whenever my LS didn't need me as WHM.

#27777 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8113 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:14 PM

Yeah FF14 is free for a month on Twitch Prime.   But anyone who is too cheap to ever pay an MMO sub also wouldn't have a Prime sub either.

#27778 Renzler   Dude CAG Veteran   1383 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:19 PM

Yeah FF14 is free for a month on Twitch Prime. But anyone who is too cheap to ever pay an MMO sub also wouldn't have a Prime sub either.

Too cheap to have a friend or family member that has prime?

Like my post and I'll give out my code tonight. No guarantees it works because I never use twitch price games.

#27779 Katsumi   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1541 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

I really enjoy FF XIV and for me, it's worth the monthly fee for the hours of fun. The main problem with MMO's is that it's hard to play other games at the same time, at least until you reach "end game" and can slow down a bit. FF XIV is notorious for the story grind to catch up to current content. I made a new character for the Stormblood expansion launch and it took me several months to get to the starting SB content, although I enjoyed the journey there! Some parts of the story are awesome, and others are very "meh" - but I still think it's the best story in an MMO.

If you like to craft, XIV's crafting classes are a lot of fun. Lots of materials and crafting itself is kind of a game. I spend the majority of my game-time with crafting, selling, and housing :) I have both the PC and PS4 versions, and it's nice being able to fire up the PS4 to gather materials and do simple tasks when I feel like lounging on the couch.

If you like MMO's, definitely give FF XIV a try! The first couple hours are slow, filled with a lot of running back and forth type quests, but it's worth getting through those :)

#27780 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8113 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:41 PM

Too cheap to have a friend or family member that has prime?

Like my post and I'll give out my code tonight. No guarantees it works because I never use twitch price games.

I think these guys have already made up their minds that they aren't interested.  I'd be surprised if somebody actually uses this from you to start an account.  You can tell that there is sort of a pushback from the non-CC# types.  "then you have to create an account, and then I have to give out a credit card #, and oh lordy lordy".

Some people simply refuse to do MMOs.  That's on them.  They have chosen to ignore some of the most noteworthy experiences in the history of gaming (WoW, FF14) then they're not going to suddenly change now.  Seems to be mostly a console gamer thing though.  Anyone who buys digital PC games online wouldn't have a problem starting a game like FF14.