* * * * - 27 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#28621 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   651 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:11 PM

Zanki Zero is 40 at Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6290655

#28622 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3134 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:07 AM

I only heard about that game this morning. I'm interested, but not quite at that price.

#28623 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4631 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:01 AM

I only heard about that game this morning. I'm interested, but not quite at that price.

It has a pretty decent demo.

Personally though I like everything about it besides the way the characters act at times and the combat which is just god awful.  Should have made it regular turn based.

#28624 WonkyToad   Switch Friend Code = SW-5381-8720-3041 - ADD ME!... if you w CAGiversary!   925 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:10 PM

I am supposing that you all would be the perfect people to ask this question...

What is the MOST JAPANESE / ASIAN game that you have come across, or would recommend?

Lets start with I have been a console gamer a LOOOng time, and I LOVE JRPGs especially Turn Based.

The pre XV Final Fantasys, Phantasy Star series, Suikoden series, the Persona series, Dragon Quest series, so many to mention.
But, I am more than happy to branch out of turn based, if I felt they are done right.

The Tales series, Diablo series, Secret of Mana (I have not played the "remake"), Xenoblade, ect..
And even things like Pokemon, Disgea series, anime based, ect...

But everything I have played have pretty much been localized, and with all of the uproar about games being altered or censored when they come to the U.S. (I am looking your way, Sony!!) I feel that this should be enjoyed as the artist originally intended. I HATE censorship.

While I like the english, even english subtitles are fine, I am looking for a true experience.

Now that you know a little something about me, What would you recommend for the ultimate Japanese/Asian gaming experience?

Even if you think it is not for me, which ones did you really enjoy, or what left its mark on you?

Domo

#28625 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8179 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

What is the MOST JAPANESE / ASIAN game that you have come across, or would recommend?

Lets start with I have been gaming a LOOOng time, and I LOVE JRPGs especially Turn Based.

The pre XV Final Fantasys, Phantasy Star series, Suikoden series, the Persona series, Dragon Quest series, so many to mention.
But, I am more than happy to branch out of turn based, if I felt they are done right.

The Tales series, Diablo series, Secret of Mana (I have not played the "remake"), Xenoblade, ect..
And even things like Pokemon, Disgea series, anime based, ect...

But everything I have played have pretty much been localized, and with all of the uproar about games being altered or censored when they come to the U.S. (I am looking your way, Sony!!) I feel that this should be enjoyed as the artist originally intended. I HATE censorship.

While I like the english, even english subtitles are fine, I am looking for a true experience.

Now that you know a little something about me, What would you recommend for the ultimate Japanese/Asian gaming experience?

Even if you think it is not for me, which ones did you really enjoy, or what left its mark on you?

Domo

DDR arcade machine and UFO catcher.

Spoiler

#28626 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1047 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:18 PM

Earth Defense Force series.

Starship troopers on Japanese high. it's great and easily accessible even for non-niche gamers.

#28627 hohle  

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:31 PM

That’s a pretty broad question, but these are some that I can think of off the top of my head:

* Ni No Kuni - turn based
* Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 4 - turn based strategy
* Rabi Ribi - Metroidvania
* Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - the “vania” in Metroidvania
* Nier: Automata (action-RPG)
* Ys (any of them) - action RPG

I like platformers and like progression-systems so the Metroidvanias have been scratching that itch pretty well.

#28628 hohle  

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:37 PM

Dup.

#28629 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4390 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:38 PM

The recent Yakuza localizations (5, 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, FotN: Lost Paradise (if you count that)) have had an extremely light touch with the localization, which is nice because they are super Japanese games. I don’t remember if this applied to 4, too, but I remember 3 had a bit of cut content, and the original releases of 1 & 2 had a pretty bad translation.

#28630 Soma_Cruz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1540 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Soma_Cruz

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:42 PM

Ganbare Goemon(Mystical Ninja) series, love the series and wish more of the games were localized. Although they definitely were victim to some over-localizing with name changes and such in the original SNES game and the vocal opening being axed from Goemon's Great Adventure on N64. I would really like for the series to come back, but Konami.

#28631 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2982 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:24 AM

The Yakuza series is probably the most Japanese game... I can't even think of anything more Japanese except maybe like Persona. 

It takes place in Japan, the characters are Japanese, they speak Japanese, they eat Japanese food, they fight with Japanese weapons, the story is Japanese-based... everything you can think of is Japanese except for Miracle Johnson.

#28632 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   774 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:42 AM

Yokai Watch is Japanese. They westernized the whole thing but it's clearly Japan

#28633 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4631 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:38 AM

The Yakuza series is probably the most Japanese game... I can't even think of anything more Japanese except maybe like Persona. 

It takes place in Japan, the characters are Japanese, they speak Japanese, they eat Japanese food, they fight with Japanese weapons, the story is Japanese-based... everything you can think of is Japanese except for Miracle Johnson.

Nah I would say yakuza is more jpn than persona is.  Especially as I understand it yakuza is based on actual places and their attention to detail of kamurocho sp? is highly praised.

#28634 Deuteros  

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:06 PM

Boku no Natsuyasumi 3 for the PS3. Like every other game in the series, it was never localized in english.

EDF is also a great suggestion. 2025 for the PS3 or 4.1 (enhanced port of 2025) and 5 for the PS4 would be my recommendations.

#28635 FlawlesslyFatal   $15 or less CAGiversary!   1447 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

FlawlesslyFatal

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:24 PM

According to "Kill La Kill-IF" official website, there won't be any alterations between platforms and regions.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

#28636 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2203 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:14 PM

Yakuza games have tons of Japanese culture in them. It's just oozing with daily life stuff.

Second would be akiba's trip if you want an akihabara specific anime pop cultural experience.

#28637 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2203 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:23 PM

Nah I would say yakuza is more jpn than persona is. Especially as I understand it yakuza is based on actual places and their attention to detail of kamurocho sp? is highly praised.

kamurocho isn't an actual place, it's a combination of Tokyo's shinjuku & Osaka's dotonbori strip. So think of it like if you made a town that was half NYC half LA. but yea it's super spot on the locations used.

Having played yakuza first than going to the actual places was surreal like going somewhere new for the first time yet feeling so familiar.

#28638 Tothoro  

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:15 PM

Nicalis's store just launched: https://store.nicalis.com/

None of the mythical Vita games yet, but they did distribute a discount code for your first purchase: 15OFFONJOIN

RemiLore is in stock and I know a bunch of people were talking about it earlier. Figured it was worth sharing here as well, even though I don't know if their games are technically Japanese.

#28639 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9248 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:57 PM

I'm not going to lie. I'm not an enjoying The Most Forbidden Love in the World very much. The main character is a massive wuss and idiot honestly. I thought the guy in Sakura Sakura was wishy washy, but this guy is worse. Also the engine just doesn't work that good for text. It doesn't display all the characters fully until i look at the history. Very annoying game. I don't know why the main character has the mindset of oh yeah if someone does good from my misery I'm OK with that. He's also mr. apologize for everything. Also the game is quite depressing, but not in a good way like Trinoline. I will finish a route but this is not turning out very good. If this idiot doesn't grow a backbone anytime, I'm done after that one route.

#28640 ar4757   Makoto x Joker is canon CAGiversary!   920 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 02:03 AM

kamurocho isn't an actual place, it's a combination of Tokyo's shinjuku & Osaka's dotonbori strip. So think of it like if you made a town that was half NYC half LA. but yea it's super spot on the locations used.

Having played yakuza first than going to the actual places was surreal like going somewhere new for the first time yet feeling so familiar.

Ooh that's cool that you've been to the places irl.

I thought Sotenbori was based on Osaka's Dotonbori, not Kamurocho

#28641 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4631 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted Yesterday, 02:29 AM

I should have been more specific. Kamurocho sp? is based on real places in japan.  From what I understand  It is based on the real-world Kabukichō?  And they have other places in game based on real locations.  That was just the one that came to mind.

#28642 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4631 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted Yesterday, 02:32 AM

Ooh that's cool that you've been to the places irl.

I thought Sotenbori was based on Osaka's Dotonbori, not Kamurocho

It is according to a quick search based on dotonbori.

#28643 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   774 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 06:47 AM

There are reports Nippon Ichi Software can't make payroll.

https://twitter.com/...583006660800512

#28644 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3581 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 07:02 AM

That's really sad :(

#28645 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4060 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 10:33 AM

They need to port their games to Switch.

#28646 henry32689   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   228 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

henry32689

Posted Yesterday, 04:43 PM

Did anyone else who pre-ordered the Persona Q2 premium edition from Amazon get charged for it? I got a pending charge in my account for the same amount as the premium edition. Doesn't even let me edit the order or anything.

#28647 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1704 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 04:59 PM

Did anyone else who pre-ordered the Persona Q2 premium edition from Amazon get charged for it? I got a pending charge in my account for the same amount as the premium edition. Doesn't even let me edit the order or anything.

Mine hasn't been charged.  But I did notice that the Premium edition is no longer available on amz, wasn't expecting that.

#28648 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1901 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 02:05 AM

Indiegala is giving away DRM free copies of War of the Human Tanks. It's a strategy game with a VN style story.

Atelier Lulua soon. Get Hype!

#28649 Jurai  

Posted Today, 02:20 AM

Cotton is coming to Switch, PS4 and Steam - https://www.famitsu....5/19176361.html

#28650 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4631 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted Today, 05:11 AM

Indiegala is giving away DRM free copies of War of the Human Tanks. It's a strategy game with a VN style story.

Atelier Lulua soon. Get Hype

Neat thanks for the link!  I like srpgs so that game seems like it would be right up my alley.  Still working on fairy fencer f advent dark force.  Apparently there was a bit of rape murder and prostitution in the original so I dodged a bullet with that stuff being removed from the enhanced port.