* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#28891 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10116 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2019 - 02:19 AM

Some VN news a bit behind.

First of all NekoNyan released Suki to Suki to de Sankaku Ren'ai. It's about a club of otaku of sorts and the main guy hanging out with his club mates and finding love. I like it enough, but there is a million memes. It doesn't make me laugh much, but it's generally light hearted. As usual with any VN there are some darker parts, but it never goes too dark. It's fun for what it is, but I know it's just a good VN.

Here are Sekai Project/Denpasoft announcements from Anime Central.

First of all Sekai announced Polaris from Staga-nana. This has 2 interwined stories with the 1st about a man who lives in a world with a disease where a person vanishes just leaving their clothes. He meets a girl who claims to be immortal. The 2nd takes place on a small island where Elene rescues a girl who washes up and is carrying a small bottle made from unknown technology. They both go on a search to see who made it. This looks good and i'll play it. It's currently slated for this summer.

VNDB

Sanarara R from NekoNeko Soft was announced from both. This is an updated version of Sanarara which came out in 2005 and has an extra route, new scenarios, as well as 16:9 resolution. It's about a girl who approaches people and says she can grant any wish they want. There are 7 stories relating to what would happen if this were to occur. It looks decent. Will play it when it comes out.

VNDB (NSFW)

How to Raise a Wolf Girl from developer Sweet & Tea was also announced by both. It has a guy named Shuuji who picks up a girl in the mountains and starts taking care of her. She was spirited away 10 years ago and has a hard time conversing and some other stuff as well. Of course not everything is daisies and people go against her, but Shuuji is determined to protect her. Looks good and will play it when it comes out.

VNDB (NSFW)

Denpasoft announced Aisu Paradise from Maranyo Games which released on Steam. It's about 2 girls and they're into you or something and work at the same ice cream shop and the main guy wants to be an adult film producer. This looks like a mess and will likely only play if bundled or extremely cheap.

Steam (NSFW)

VNDB

Denpasoft also announced a non VN Super Naughty Maid from KENZsoft. It's pretty much an interactive game about having sex with a maid. Not for me.

Steam (NSFW)

Mangagamer also had one AnimeCentral announcement. It's a big one in Imouto Paradise 3. Same number of sisters though I think this is a cousin of the the guy from #2. Nukige with sisters who love you a lot and a brother who is willing to love them back. These are usually well drawn and written so it's an easy purchase for me.

VNDB (NSFW)

Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart is going to be released now by Fruitbat Factory all ages on Steam June 17th, 2019 I believe it's based on the console version. I would love an 18+ version but I'll take it. Hopefully doesn't rely too much on adult scenes.

Steam

#28892 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   936 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:54 AM

Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart is going to be released now by Fruitbat Factory all ages on Steam June 17th, 2019 I believe it's based on the console version. I would love an 18+ version but I'll take it. Hopefully doesn't rely too much on adult scenes.

Steam

This is the visual novel with the light beams added to the PS4 version of the game. The gallery image thumbnails are in the demo version and are definitely the all ages ones. 

#28893 opportunity777   Disco Fever CAGiversary!   5243 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

opportunity777

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:40 AM

For the Grandia remaster, I wonder if it will be based on the inferior PS1 version (probably) or the Sega Saturn one.

#28894 EdJericho   2.5D Seiyuu Fanboy CAGiversary!   860 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:43 PM

#28895 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5725 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:16 PM

Phantasy Star Online 2 releasing in the west eight years after its original release? And only on Xbox One and Windows 10 (I assume this means the Microsoft Store only) as well? Are they trying to keep the amount of players low? Obviously Microsoft has paid for it, so it may be a temporary exclusive kind of thing. However it still makes me question why.

#28896 RubMySweatyThighsPls  

RubMySweatyThighsPls

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:34 PM

Phantasy Star Online 2 releasing in the west eight years after its original release? And only on Xbox One and Windows 10 (I assume this means the Microsoft Store only) as well? Are they trying to keep the amount of players low? Obviously Microsoft has paid for it, so it may be a temporary exclusive kind of thing. However it still makes me question why.

Microsoft is keen on releasing on Steam and their own store so  I doubt its windows store only 

#28897 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3870 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:03 AM

Wow, if Elden Ring is anything like Dark Souls 3 or GoT Season 8 then I can't wait to not play it. 

#28898 Markmallow  

Markmallow

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:11 AM

Man, why does PSO2 have to an Xbox exclusive? I hope to god it’s a timed exclusive otherwise I’m going to have to buy a crappy Xbox One. I’m not missing out on this game though. I’ve waited 8 years for this. It does make me nervous that it’s free to play though. Is all the cool stuff going to be micro transactions?

#28899 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9149 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:14 AM

Because Microsoft bought the rights to it.  Just like they bought Double Fine Studios. 

See guys Microsoft cares about Japanese games and gamers!

#28900 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3870 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:28 AM

Because Microsoft bought the rights to it.  Just like they bought Double Fine Studios. 

See guys Microsoft cares about Japanese games and gamers!

Halo Infinite is launching on PC too, so hopefully the exclusivity of their games only extends to the consoles. 

#28901 Tothoro  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:44 AM

Man, why does PSO2 have to an Xbox exclusive? I hope to god it’s a timed exclusive otherwise I’m going to have to buy a crappy Xbox One. I’m not missing out on this game though. I’ve waited 8 years for this. It does make me nervous that it’s free to play though. Is all the cool stuff going to be micro transactions?

They haven't said anything that makes me believe it won't come to the PS4 as well. All of the signage they used was the same stuff they used throughout the showcase, and a bunch of that's already popped up for pre-order for PS4 as well.

#28902 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1377 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:41 AM

They haven't said anything that makes me believe it won't come to the PS4 as well. All of the signage they used was the same stuff they used throughout the showcase, and a bunch of that's already popped up for pre-order for PS4 as well.

Yeah, I didn't see any Xbox Exclusive branding on it. I missed the very beginning of it when the trailer played during the conference though, but unless it said exclusive before the trailer, I wouldn't worry. Though considering Sony recently, it might be better to have it on other platforms anyway...

#28903 shosaisyu   Waster of Monies CAGiversary!   201 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

shosaisyu

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:01 AM

Have PSO2 censored to shit on PS4? Who wants that?

#28904 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1965 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:17 AM

Fanatical Star Deal is Musynx for $1.79(55% off)

It's an "anime style" rhythm game. A good deal of original vocaloid songs. Mostly chinese. Nekopara's in there too.

Note that this is just the base game that gives you 48 songs. There's a single dlc to unlock the rest of the songs and all future song updates for $25 kinda like project diva future tone.

#28905 NeoMonk  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:25 AM

#28906 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2946 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:28 AM

Halo Infinite is launching on PC too, so hopefully the exclusivity of their games only extends to the consoles. 

Yeah, Microsoft isn't much interested in exclusivity. Jason Schreier from Kotaku Splitscreen said on his pre-E3 podcast that those close to Phil Spencer have said that if Phil had his way, Microsoft's games would be on everything, and that Phil sees/wants Microsoft as a third-party software/content maker. Game Pass is clearly part of this vision.

#28907 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5581 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:35 AM

Yeah, I didn't see any Xbox Exclusive branding on it. I missed the very beginning of it when the trailer played during the conference though, but unless it said exclusive before the trailer, I wouldn't worry. Though considering Sony recently, it might be better to have it on other platforms anyway...

Especially given that sony won't likely have crossover with the other servers given their attitude towards it.

#28908 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3870 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:38 AM

So I'm sure this release date is for episode 1, and with next gen already coming out the complete thing will likely end up there anyway. 

It looks pretty, but this isn't Final Fantasy at all. 

#28909 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11868 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:42 AM

t looks pretty, but this isn't Final Fantasy at all. 

Idk about that. 

#28910 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   37696 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:44 AM

I'm probably the only FF nerd impressed by how Heidegger and (partially) President Shinra look.

#28911 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9149 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:51 AM

Looks cool.  But I'm more interested in Baldur's Gate III. 

#28912 JCAll   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1990 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:12 AM

I'm probably the only FF nerd impressed by how Heidegger and (partially) President Shinra look.

He looks good, but I'll wait to hear his laugh. 

#28913 Tothoro  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:26 AM

I really feel like they nailed the graphic style for FF7R, but the combat gives me pause. I don't mind that it's no longer turn-based but it seems a lot like FFXV's combat, which was essentially "hold the attack button and occasionally teleport/change weapons". I've seen people defend it as more KH3-like, but I haven't played KH3 yet and I don't know if that should offer any solace.

#28914 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3870 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:31 AM

Idk about that. 

It's just not an RPG. I know FF hasn't had a traditional turn-based system entry to the franchise in a while, but deviating this far from the original's gameplay doesn't make it more compelling for me. I'm sure it needs to appeal to younger people, but the name of the game is there for a reason, to bring the oldheads back in droves. 

I'll wait to play it for myself, but it's very much a style over substance vibe I get from it. 

#28915 tsoul   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   442 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

Wow, if Elden Ring is anything like Dark Souls 3 or GoT Season 8 then I can't wait to not play it.

What's wrong with DS3? Many say that's the best FromSoft game made to date.

#28916 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3870 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:06 AM

What's wrong with DS3? Many say that's the best FromSoft game made to date.

There's a lot of stuff I was annoyed with in the game, but my main overall gripe is that is was completely bereft of any originality. It was a snap reaction to do the complete opposite of the train wreck that was DaS2, but in doing so they relied far too heavily on "hey, do you remember this from the first game??" moments. I'm sure franchise fatigue was a factor for me seeing as I've been playing these games since I bought a PS3 to play Demon's Souls on launch day, but I just couldn't go back to DaS3 the way I did the others. 

FromSoft already reached their peak with Bloodborne, and created damn near perfection in my eyes in The Old Hunters DLC. 

#28917 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   709 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:06 PM

I really feel like they nailed the graphic style for FF7R, but the combat gives me pause. I don't mind that it's no longer turn-based but it seems a lot like FFXV's combat, which was essentially "hold the attack button and occasionally teleport/change weapons". I've seen people defend it as more KH3-like, but I haven't played KH3 yet and I don't know if that should offer any solace.

It doesn't look like either of them really, especially KH. Mainline KH games are pretty standard action games, focused more on interrupting and controlling enemies through stagger as you try to make it to the end of a combo for a hard hitting finisher. This doesn't really look anything like that, this game barely even looks like it has a stagger system in place.

What this FF7 remake footage actually reminds me the most of is Lightning Returns. Tightly enclosed battle arenas, very few enemies on screen at a time, camera is really close up to your character, and it looks like you move very slowly and have to depend on attacks to close the distance between you and the enemy. The difference would obviously be the lack of the paradigm shifting and not depending on ATB for your actions. Though honestly if you can actually change who you control in combat on the fly that is a pretty good analogue for paradigms in LR. 

Really we need to see more than 2-3 second snippets to get a better idea, but evolved/faster Lightning Returns has honestly been my main impression so far.

#28918 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2793 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:44 PM

Really we need to see more than 2-3 second snippets to get a better idea, but evolved/faster Lightning Returns has honestly been my main impression so far.

I actually hope you're right.  There were a number of things I hated about LR, but the battle system wasn't one of them.  If FF7R is locked into an ARPG (and it is), this direction would be one of the more favorable ones.

FFXV and KH3 were some of the most dumbed-down gameplay experiences I've played in an ARPG.

#28919 nagpo  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

SE is going to have their best e3 in years.

Might be some spoilers, but this is what they'll have

FF7 - which looks great imo

Avengers - not my type of game, aparrantly it's like DCU online

Mana collection - Which features a mana game that never came out in the west

SAGA 3 and Scarlet grace - The games have never come out in the west either. Scarlet Grace was a vita game and I'm sure they're porting the switch and ps4 versions.

Kingdom Hearts DLC - what they showed of this already is quite disappointing.

Some honorable mentions:

DQ for the switch might show up

DQB 2 might be there

MY speculation:

The World ends with you 2

It's nice that they're bringing back some of their older franchises like Mana and Saga. I would also like them to bring a port of Chaos Rings or let LRG do a vita release but that's unlikely.

#28920 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   37696 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:12 PM

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III Launches September 24 in North America, September 27 in Europe

Trailer below features some spoilers from the previous Cold Steel games:

Spoiler