* * * * - 27 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#29041 Boss   [Removed by Admin] CAGiversary!   2018 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for the clarification. One more question, the limited physical release is the Collection not the independent Trials release?

#29042 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2251 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:26 AM

so sad lrg wasted the last few vita carts on things not adventures of mana

#29043 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2624 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for the clarification. One more question, the limited physical release is the Collection not the independent Trials release?

Yes, the Switch collection is a limited physical release.

#29044 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6250 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:39 PM

Take it up with Square that refused to deal with them.  Heck, Square could have released it physically themselves.

#29045 dragonx   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   39 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:37 AM

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4 only) available for $32.84 at Amazon.

#29046 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4478 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:45 AM

The GBA version is better, anyway.

#29047 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5719 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

I'm really liking Cadence of Hyrule. The music remix choices they've made are pretty popular, safe choices with popular tracks from Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past. They've all sounded pretty good thus far. I think I'm looking at beating the game at around 10 hours I'd wager based on my progress thus far. It's not particularly hard

I came across a Nintendo Treehouse video from the other day that does a better job showcasing the gameplay than the videos I posted before. They explain some of the mechanics, but be warned that if you watch too long they'll enter a dungeon (which aren't particularly long) and fight its boss.

And while I'm at it since you all have been mentioning a lot of Trials of Mana, here's a Nintendo Treehouse video on the gameplay for it from the other day as well for those interested. Looks better than the Secret of Mana remake at the very least.

I'm still cautious though. Too many remakes/ports of theirs have been of sub-par quality to make me not question it regardless of how the game itself looks.

#29048 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3178 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:45 PM

The GBA version is better, anyway.

Only things I don't like about Sword of Mana are the tons of missable items/equipment, and the plot can get pretty convoluted. Other than that it's great.

#29049 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1286 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

And while I'm at it since you all have been mentioning a lot of Trials of Mana, here's a Nintendo Treehouse video on the gameplay for it from the other day as well for those interested. Looks better than the Secret of Mana remake at the very least.

I'm still cautious though. Too many remakes/ports of theirs have been of sub-par quality to make me not question it regardless of how the game itself looks.

Thanks for the video. It looks good. I'll have to wait for reviews first though considering how the Secret of Mana remake turned out.

#29050 Jurai  

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:50 PM

From what the dev said on stream they seem to be acknowledging that they kinda half assed the SOM Port, he made a joke about the mouths actually moving

#29051 cloudmd23   Tojo Clan Member CAGiversary!   212 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:59 PM

Trials of Mana remake looks great, but the lack of co-op kills it for me. At least we got the old version too as a fallback.

#29052 Katsumi   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1575 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:08 PM

Sign me up for the Trials of Mana remake :) One of my favorite SNES games that I've played many times over netplay with friends and I still really enjoy it. I thought the Secret of Mana remake was very mediocre (as did most everyone else of course) but I'll be optimistic for Trials.

Thank you again to gospelman for the advice / info on Trails of Cold Steel. I picked up the first game on PC and will be playing through soon :)

#29053 Katsumi   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1575 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:22 PM

For those of you who play Final Fantasy XIV (MMO), they are currently running a promotion through Amazon (image) for the Black Fat Chocobo mount. Spend $19.99 or more on a video game and receive a code for the mount. Unfortunately pre-orders don't count, so you can't get it by pre-ordering Shadowbringers. The 60-day time cards do qualify. Make sure the product page mentions the promotion, and it should also show up during checkout that you are eligible for the DLC.

Do note that the mount is character bound and NOT account bound at the moment with no word on if it'll be changed.

#29054 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1866 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:37 PM

For those of you who play Final Fantasy XIV (MMO), they are currently running a promotion through Amazon (image) for the Black Fat Chocobo mount. Spend $19.99 or more on a video game and receive a code for the mount. 

I play ffxiv in seasons.  Considering resubbing for a couple months toward the end of the year to play the new expansion.

I ended up buying this left joycon replacement with d-pad, which is exactly 19.99 and qualifies for the promotion.
https://smile.amazon...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This mount is actually pretty glorious ingame.  On land the fat chocobo runs due to having a bundle of gysahl greens dangled in front of it.  When switching to flying, the greens become a piece of cake for extra motivation.

#29055 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1866 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:45 PM

I picked up the first game on PC and will be playing through soon :)

Just a fair warning, due to the way CSI ends you'll want to immediately play CSII.  There's a good chance both will be in the steam summer sale coming up fairly soon along with their dlc.

I personally have started playing Trails from Zero with the existing fan translation.  There's supposed to be a superior translation nearing completion (geofront) but with CSIII only three months away I decided I shouldn't hold out any longer.

#29056 Katsumi   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1575 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2019 - 04:48 PM

Just a fair warning, due to the way CSI ends you'll want to immediately play CSII.  There's a good chance both will be in the steam summer sale coming up fairly soon along with their dlc.

Good point! I'm not planning to start until the end of the month, and it'll probably take me a good month to get through the game, so I'll keep an eye out for DLC / CSII on sale :)

#29057 georox   The Captain CAGiversary!   7608 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:38 PM

If anyone ends up with an extra mount code I'd gladly take one, don't have the cash to order anything from Amazon right now -.-

#29058 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4754 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:13 AM

I play ffxiv in seasons.  Considering resubbing for a couple months toward the end of the year to play the new expansion.

I ended up buying this left joycon replacement with d-pad, which is exactly 19.99 and qualifies for the promotion.
https://smile.amazon...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This mount is actually pretty glorious ingame.  On land the fat chocobo runs due to having a bundle of gysahl greens dangled in front of it.  When switching to flying, the greens become a piece of cake for extra motivation.

Cake?  That's just mean.  Sounds absolutely hilarious that it can fly though.

#29059 opportunity777   Disco Fever CAGiversary!   5237 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

opportunity777

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

Cake?  That's just mean.  Sounds absolutely hilarious that it can fly though.

Black Chocobos could fly in FFIV, so it's not a new concept.

#29060 deadlykittenpaws  

deadlykittenpaws

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:17 PM

Shopto cancelling orders now blah

#29061 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5719 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:17 PM

My backer copy of Bloodstained arrived yesterday. Looks a bit better than the demo did, but not by a whole lot. Game is pretty good so far, but I do hate one thing. You can't turn the low health indicator off and it's extremely intrusive/annoying. I wish there was an option to disable it or lower its graphical effect greatly.

#29062 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1866 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

Just got the promo email from amazon.  They sent me the chocobo dlc before my qualifying order was even charged or shipped  :shock:

#29063 deadofnight   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   936 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

deadofnight

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:18 PM

I was playing Senran Kagura: Burst Re:Newal, but it wasn't really holding my interest. The story focuses on Hanzo Academy; my least favorite team. Crimson Squad is my overall favorite team, so maybe I'll get more into it when I start playing the story from their point of view. I know it's a re-telling of an earlier story, but it's still a bummer it has to go without some of my other favorites.

I ended up going back to Bloodborne. That game is awesome. I beat it over the weekend, then I started a fresh new game to do a platinum run. Now that I'm looking at a guide I see I missed some cool stuff. Hell, I completely missed the Old Hunters dlc.

#29064 NeoMonk  

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:01 PM

#29065 jedex   Elite Chemist CAGiversary!   870 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:12 PM

Gimme that body pillow

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#29066 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9373 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:26 PM

Body pillow eh *cancels regular order immediately*.

#29067 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2990 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:02 PM

That body pillow looks familiar...

cICbW5p.gif

#29068 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3847 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:16 AM

I ended up going back to Bloodborne. That game is awesome. I beat it over the weekend, then I started a fresh new game to do a platinum run. Now that I'm looking at a guide I see I missed some cool stuff. Hell, I completely missed the Old Hunters dlc.

That game is incredible in every way. The DLC is the best thing FromSoft has ever made. It has a boss fight that I don't think will ever be topped. 

#29069 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2251 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:01 AM

don't forget the artbook for date a live on ps4 got censored. idk about PC.

#29070 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   805 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:51 AM

The in game PS4 artbook was censored but in the product description it says they're sending out a digital version (probably a PDF) of the regular one. The LEs have been shipping separate with a standard copy of the game for a while now so I doubt there's any difference in the content of the two premium boxes. You even get the not-Steelbook if you get a Steam copy.

Since we're on the topic, someone blasted all the way through English Super Neptunia RPG on PS4 already and uploaded a video of the CG gallery. There appear to be no changes from the Japanese PS4 version on surface examination. The contrast on the images is a little high but that can be the result of the capture card used. Also of note is that the preorder poster image being shared as the "uncensored" version of the hot springs on the end was actually included and it only gets steamy when the little girl character shows up.

https://www.youtube....h?v=RIJ80lqzax0