CAGcast #438: Nobody Beats the Ms.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks about Firewatch, smart thermostats and other hot topics. 

Download (1 hours 03 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS
https://audioboom.com/boos/4171472-cagcast-438-nobody-beats-the-ms

Get $5 off your order (with free shipping) at http://www.harrys.com with coupon code CAGCAST

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro -  Newcleus - Jam on it (DJ Xed 2009 rmx)

Outro - Ms.

RSS - Full CAGcast Cataalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't tell if Shipwreck was joking at first or completely insane. The two terms are different and refer to different things. They are pronounced differently. This is not really a matter of opinion. Wombat is right and Shipwreck was being indignant.

Ms. Pac-Man is not Miss Pac-Man. They are pronounced differently as well. It's okay to be wrong once in a while Ship.

There is no possible way that Shipwreck can't understand the concept of Ms.  I work with many women who would rip your head off and call HR about sexual harassment if you continued to call them Miss.  People must be a lot more relaxed in Cincinnati than in the Northeast.  

Framerate issues/stuttering/hitching is one thing but Firewatch on PS4 is outright crashing and eating save data = that shit shouldn't pass Sony's cert and it's completely unacceptable.

As for Unity on consoles, the engine is in a really bad place and especially when it comes to things like streaming. That's why games like Firewatch and Grow Home have performance issues and it's to the point now that gamers should be asking: "What engine is that on?". (weirdest part is that on lower spec PCs those same games often don't have nearly the severity of the problems...it's bonkers how messed-up Unity is right now in regards to consoles)

There is no possible way that Shipwreck can't understand the concept of Ms. I work with many women who would rip your head off and call HR about sexual harassment if you continued to call them Miss. People must be a lot more relaxed in Cincinnati than in the Northeast.
Definitely. Also, I think our pronunciation of it isn't as distinct so you wouldn't be able to easily tell the difference.

Ms is pronounced as miz. Miz and miss sound completely different. Have you never had a teacher that used Ms? I thought you were giving Wombat a hard time.

Damn did Ship have a few beers before this episode? Dude was on fire!

Great show.

Also i'm pretty sure this guy would be upset pronunciation of Ms..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C_99XJqIs4

Oyy...

I feel like I had the Ms./Mrs./Miss distinction straight by the third grade. We used it for any teacher you didn't know well enough to know if she went by Mrs. or Miss. 

edit: This post sounded dickish. Not supposed to sound dickish. Far be it from me not to make a fool of myself. At least no one in recording me when I do it!

Right, NSA????

GameTrailers closing was sad an unexpected, but hearing the new about the closure made me realize that it was the first time I'd heard anyone mention that site in close to 5 years, it feels like. It really fell by the wayside.

I was definitely introduced to AVGN and by extension ScrewAttack from GT. I got way into ScrewAttack for a good number years (and that's how I found out about CAG, from Cheapy being on Hard News way back in the day), but I haven't looked at their content for close to 3 years at this point. However, you guys said you couldn't even imagine the fame AVGN has now... I admit I'm most likely out of the loop, but wouldn't it be less? I haven't heard buzz about his videos in forever. He stopped making AVGN videos for like 2 or 3 years to make his movie, and from everything I've heard, the movie wasn't that great. I feel like he was way bigger back then. I could very well be wrong.

Ship, the way the brew theater over there works (I saw TFA there) is that if you want any food or drink DURING the movie you write it down and put the order in a clip in front of your chair.  They pull and fill the order without talking to you so nobody gets disturbed.  The place is great, though I think their Sony 4K projectors aren't as good as the Barco 4K at Cinemark.

EDIT:  Ms. Pac Man eventually became Mrs. Pac-Man.   http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1639

Hate to say it, but the show is getting harder and harder for me to listen to.

Every week I say to myself, "How is Ship going to criticize Wombat this week?" 

wow, not sure what was better, the fact Wombat was right, or Ship refusing to believe himself to be wrong about something :)  Love the show guys!

"Ms" or "Ms." (normally /ˈmɪz/, but also appearing as /mᵻz/, /məz/, or /məs/ when unstressed)[1][2] is an English honorific used with the last name or full name of a woman, intended as a default form of address for women regardless of their marital status.[3] Like "Miss" and "Mrs.", the term "Ms." has its origins in the female English title once used for all women, "Mistress". It was invented (and revived/reinvented) in the 20th century.[4][1] Various plural forms used are "Mss.", "Mses.", and "Mmes."[5]

Definitely. Also, I think our pronunciation of it isn't as distinct so you wouldn't be able to easily tell the difference.
It better be distinct if you are dealing with a feminist. I remember a coworker insulting a client by calling her Miss instead of Ms. She complained to the management of our firm and he was told that if she fired us they we would fire him. You have to be very careful when you have someone who tells you to call them Ms.

The type of person who uses that title is most likely a serious feminist who gets offended very easily

It's really cute how excited Wombat gets when he tries to set up playdates with Cheapy. The fake interest Cheapy usually shows makes me feel bad for Wombat.

I knew Ship generally wasn't curious about anything in life other than video games (lest he be exposed to anything "depressing"), but not knowing what "Ms." was takes the cake. Cringe factor 10.

I knew Ship generally wasn't curious about anything in life other than video games (lest he be exposed to anything "depressing"), but not knowing what "Ms." was takes the cake. Cringe factor 10.
I know the use of "Ms.", I've just never heard that pronunciation of it.

It's really cute how excited Wombat gets when he tries to set up playdates with Cheapy. The fake interest Cheapy usually shows makes me feel bad for Wombat.
Lol, I feel like this happens every other episode. $5 on Cheapy doesn't go with Wombat to see Deadpool.

If it makes Wombat feel any better, if I were in NY i'd hang out with you.

So is it a thing to buy movie tickets way before the start?  That just seems weird to buy them online or the day before.

Fair enough... But everyone has seen that shorthand " Ms" on every web form you've ever filled out. It came about because women (rightly so) were tired of being specifically denoted by their married status, while men were always "Mr." Then doubling down by saying "whores" would use "Ms" ...ooof cringe factor 11

I know the use of "Ms.", I've just never heard that pronunciation of it.
Growing up Texas, that applies to me as well. I don't think I ever heard/was taught the different pronunciation. The difference comes when writing not necessarily speaking. When it comes to speaking, there is no difference between ms and miss. The only difference in pronuciation is between ms/miss and mrs.

Growing up Texas, that applies to me as well. I don't think I ever heard/was taught the different pronunciation. The difference comes when writing not necessarily speaking. When it comes to speaking, there is no difference between ms and miss. The only difference in pronuciation is between ms/miss and mrs.
Miss & Ms have completely different pronunciations, Ms. is more like Miz or Mizz, not Miss. Calling a Ms. a Miss could be see as highly offensive to the person in question.

Miss & Ms have completely different pronunciations, Ms. is more like Miz or Mizz, not Miss. Calling a Ms. a Miss could be see as highly offensive to the person in question.
Sure, where you are from. I'm just saying in my case it's not anything like that. Where I live if I called someone "miz" instead of "mis" they would be more likely to wonder why I switch my "s" sounds with a "z" sound instead of be offended. Obviously you aren't wrong at all I'm just trying to explain that the difference in how you pronounce the words differs in other parts of the country.

I think this is probably the most in depth discussion of honorific etiquette to have ever taken place on a video game forum.

It does make me think about Ms. usage around the country, like how we in New York say "stand on line," or ways to say soda.

I want to help the Cagcast. Instead of having Wombat look up meanings, syllables, pronunciations of words and abbreviations, I say just go to Urban Dictionary and look everything up there and you have instant closure.

You're Welcome

Geez, I knew the difference between Ms., Miss and Mrs. back in Grade 3. And what's wrong with the way Wombat pronounced it? I grew up in Toronto, sounded right to me. Is it an East/Mid/West coast pronunciation thing?
But thanks for the Deadly Tower of Monsters recommendation Shipwreck, platinumed it. Will also look into Firewatch, already intrigued by the lack of detail given!

I've listened to the show since the beginning, show #1 up til the current one. But since probably the last 40-50 episodes Shipwreck has been ruining the show. Slowly at first but it's been accelerating over the last 7 shows or so. Shipwrecks' comments to Wombat are so rude. It's like he wants to make Wombat either just feel like crap or leave the show. That would be such a disaster for the Cagcast if it were to happen. There's a reason Shipwreck doesn't have his own podcast anymore. I like to think it was due to his lack of personality because I can't remember the real reason anymore. His wife was the only good part of that show if I remember correctly. Shipwreck, please listen to yourself on the show and try to improve the perception you've created.

bread's done
Back