A Gamer's Theft Story

woymfsu03

CAGiversary!
So to start things off this is more of a rant to express how I am feeling more than anything so please bear with me on that. I didn't see a rant top forum so I figured this was the next best thing.

About 2 years ago I fell on some hard times. Lost job. Girlfriend left me. Seeing a therapist for some issues Blah blah blah I'm sure you guys don't particularly care about all that. Recently I had to move in with my grandmother. Which in a way is a good thing because I am able to get to know her more and to help out when I can with things she may need (70 years old and barely able to leave the bed.) 

Back to the topic now, recently someone decided to take it upon themselves to come into my room without my permission. I know this because I have a slight trust issue with someone that stays here (cousins girlfriend.) I could throw her farther than I actually trust her. Basically I closed my door, put a sock behind it as I was leaving so I would know if someone had been in there. If the sock is at the wall when you come back someone has. Well I had left for the day to run an errand and low and behold when I came back the sock was at the door. 

Fast forward to the next day and I decide to go one step further with the sock and leave my laptop on with the camera app recording the whole time. I was only to be gone for a few hours so I figured it would be able to record that on the hard drive no problem. I get everything setup minimize all windows and hide it under a blanket so that only the top of the camera can be seen. Come back home about 3 hours later and the sock is at the door but the laptop itself is also gone. I'm thinking she saw it when she came in and decided to try and delete the file on there. However, upon further inspection that's not the only thing missing. Also what's missing is my PlayStation 4, camera, and 2 controllers. A PlayStation 3, camera, 4 controllers and 3 Move controllers. An Xbox One, camera, and controller and roughly every game I have ever purchased in the past 20 years. Totaling it up roughly $5000 worth of electronics (which is a Class B Felony). They decided to leave the audio/video receiver (which was the most expensive thing in here along with the desktop), Xbox 360, and my desktop computer.

This happened roughly two days ago. I've filed a police report. Contacted Sony and Microsoft letting them know that this had happened but I guess they had changed their policy on this and now only law enforcement officers are able to request a lock on the account and to track via the serial numbers and MAC addresses. Which is the problem because how exactly is the officer going to know that it's mine without my information besides name. I did register all products and I was able to give them the serial number for the Xbox One and the Asus laptop since they were on the Microsoft website. 

I guess the whole reason for this rant is to A) talk so I don't take it out on anyone else, and B) if I am missing anything. Are there extra steps that I need to do to help them in this matter or am I basically SOL...

Thanks, 

Jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:
Also what's missing is my PlayStation 4, camera, and 2 controllers. A PlayStation 3, camera, 4 controllers and 3 Move controllers. An Xbox One, camera, and controller and roughly every game I have ever purchased in the past 20 years. Totaling it up roughly $5000 worth of electronics (which is a Class B Felony). They decided to leave the audio/video receiver (which was the most expensive thing in here along with the desktop), Xbox 360, and my desktop computer.
Wow, sorry to hear this for you, that certainly sucks. You could log into your PSN account on the web and disable all devices that have access to your account, this would disable games and access to your PSN wallet if you have funds.

Best of luck.

What did we learn? Locks, not socks.

Sucks for you, but you should've taken extra precautions if you were that concerned.

I don't understand how you didn't do anything to deter them. 

I mean, if I knew someone that wasn't me was going into my room I would have locked that shit up tight. 

Shit, when I go on vacations I don't even leave my electronics plugged into my entertainment center and I hide them all over the place just in case someone breaks in while I'm away.

I was a store manager at GameStop for 3 years, and we had issues like this all the time. The BEST thing to do is save your boxes or receipts with S/Ns on them, so you can prove that the item is yours. We got lucky a few times, and family would have a box with the S/N and I (as well as my employees) were more than willing to see if we had any sysems with the matching serial #. Unfortunately, we could only give the merchandise to the police, so the families had to go through some hoops to get it back, but that's why I ALWAYS save that crap,.

bread's done
Back