* * * - - 5 votes

Quantum Break - PC version free if you pre-order Xbox One version, also free Alan Wake + expansions

#31 Lil Frier  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:39 PM

So, how/when do you get the W10 code though? They might send it upon XB1 code redemption. If so, you can't sell the XB1 copy and keep the W10 copy, because it would likely go to the person redeeming the XB1 copy--that's just my guess. However, you could probably team up and try to share a purchase with a friend or another CAG, like with the Smash DLC for Wii U and 3DS.

I don't like that thought, though. It makes gaming the system too easy, and I'd worry that abuse would scare future developers/publishers away from this. I'd rather see it as automatically tied to the account of redemption. That said, I could potentially be on-board for this. Get it digitally, use the Home Console sharing to let my brother-in-law play it, then give the W10 code to my little brother.

#32 jgibbons83   JGibbons83 CAGiversary!   271 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

jgibbons83

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:37 PM

So can we buy the digital anywhere else other than through Microsoft and still get the Windows 10 code? I'd love Best Buy or target or even GameStop to save a little money (I have credit at all 3). Thanks!

#33 dennisb407   Banned CAGiversary!   5506 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:45 PM

I stopped reading at "boylover"

#34 NoThanksBro   Vampire Killer CAGiversary!   334 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

NoThanksBro

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:16 AM

So can we buy the digital anywhere else other than through Microsoft and still get the Windows 10 code? I'd love Best Buy or target or even GameStop to save a little money (I have credit at all 3). Thanks!

According to what I've read, yes. After you redeem the digital version code you'll receive a code for the PC version.

Someone else in this thread said they bought a Quantum Break X1 digital code through Best Buy.

So, how/when do you get the W10 code though? They might send it upon XB1 code redemption. If so, you can't sell the XB1 copy and keep the W10 copy, because it would likely go to the person redeeming the XB1 copy--that's just my guess. However, you could probably team up and try to share a purchase with a friend or another CAG, like with the Smash DLC for Wii U and 3DS.

I don't like that thought, though. It makes gaming the system too easy, and I'd worry that abuse would scare future developers/publishers away from this. I'd rather see it as automatically tied to the account of redemption. That said, I could potentially be on-board for this. Get it digitally, use the Home Console sharing to let my brother-in-law play it, then give the W10 code to my little brother.

The PC code will be sent to your Xbox Live account through a message after redeeming the X1 version.

You could then either redeem it yourself, or sell it or give it away to someone.

#35 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16774 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:27 AM

I would guess that they'll probably do it like Steam's steamplay feature where buying the game once gives you both versions (in that case Windows and Mac) attached to your account on that particular store.

#36 srac84  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:29 AM

i hope its a separate code that they send you for the PC version...maybe i can sell the PC code on eBay or something to get my game a little cheaper ..its really cool that they added Alan wake because I've never owned a 360 and always wanted to play it...when do we get the Alan wake code if we pre-ordered digitally..is it after quantum break comes out?

#37 imaidiot19  

imaidiot19

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:37 AM

I'm waiting to find out if the Win10 version has its own achievement list. If it is just crossbuy, with a shared achievement list, then I'll just wait for a sale. I'd rather play it on my One anyway...

But if it has its own achievement list like Rise of the Tomb Raider, and they are giving us the Win10 version, then this is a deal! Double the achievements, double the fun!

I have a feeling this will be more like the Win10 version of pinball fx2 though...which makes me sad.

#38 jgibbons83   JGibbons83 CAGiversary!   271 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

jgibbons83

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:46 AM

i hope its a separate code that they send you for the PC version...maybe i can sell the PC code on eBay or something to get my game a little cheaper ..its really cool that they added Alan wake because I've never owned a 360 and always wanted to play it...when do we get the Alan wake code if we pre-ordered digitally..is it after quantum break comes out?

I agree. I was planning on selling off the code to recoup a little of the cost. If it's going to be tied to my Microsoft account in some way I'd rather go physical then.

#39 Gainer   Cheapening it up. CAGiversary!   219 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:49 PM

Not available on amazon, and no GCU discount at BB.  No place where we can get 20% off?

#40 d8onausa   Hornet CAGiversary!   373 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

d8onausa

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

i hope its a separate code that they send you for the PC version...maybe i can sell the PC code on eBay or something to get my game a little cheaper

I hope the same thing for the opposite reason.  I'll be looking for the PC version on ebay.

#41 jgibbons83   JGibbons83 CAGiversary!   271 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

jgibbons83

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

So did anyone ever find out if the windows 10 bonus code is still included if you preorder anywhere else other than directly through Microsoft?

#42 DGGames  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:52 PM

So did anyone ever find out if the windows 10 bonus code is still included if you preorder anywhere else other than directly through Microsoft?

Yes, as long as you get a digital code. Stores like Gamestop, Best Buy and the Microsoft Store sell those (GS and MS are in-store only as far as I know).

You could also buy an Xbox / Windows Gift Card for the final price of the game if you can't / don't want to add your credit card info to your Microsoft Account, and then simply buy the game from Xbox.com. You could even build up Bing Rewards points and get it for free that way (although with the game a little over a month away, at the current ~30 points per day you probably won't get the full $60 before release...)

​On that note, just FYI for everyone who is interested in the PC version, you don't need an Xbox One to pre-order the game. If you want to pre-order it, simply do so on the Xbox.com website, you will get the PC download code as a message on the Xbox app, it even has a nice "Redeem Code" button so you can add it and start downloading as soon as the game comes out (or earlier if they decide to do pre-loading).

​The link to the pre-order is here: https://store.xbox.c...fc-6f213b808b4f

Also just remember that how good this one does tells Microsoft a lot about PC gamers... do they actually care about PC games or only about those that are below $5? If you want to see their other games available on PC and not just Xbox, this and the Windows 10 versions of Rise of the Tomb Raider, Oxenfree, Gigantic, Fable Legends, Project Spark, etc. are the kinds of stuff you should be supporting.

#43 jgibbons83   JGibbons83 CAGiversary!   271 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

jgibbons83

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:04 PM

Yes, as long as you get a digital code. Stores like Gamestop, Best Buy and the Microsoft Store sell those (GS and MS are in-store only as far as I know).

You could also buy an Xbox / Windows Gift Card for the final price of the game if you can't / don't want to add your credit card info to your Microsoft Account, and then simply buy the game from Xbox.com. You could even build up Bing Rewards points and get it for free that way (although with the game a little over a month away, at the current ~30 points per day you probably won't get the full $60 before release...)

​On that note, just FYI for everyone who is interested in the PC version, you don't need an Xbox One to pre-order the game. If you want to pre-order it, simply do so on the Xbox.com website, you will get the PC download code as a message on the Xbox app, it even has a nice "Redeem Code" button so you can add it and start downloading as soon as the game comes out (or earlier if they decide to do pre-loading).

​The link to the pre-order is here: https://store.xbox.c...fc-6f213b808b4f

Also just remember that how good this one does tells Microsoft a lot about PC gamers... do they actually care about PC games or only about those that are below $5? If you want to see their other games available on PC and not just Xbox, this and the Windows 10 versions of Rise of the Tomb Raider, Oxenfree, Gigantic, Fable Legends, Project Spark, etc. are the kinds of stuff you should be supporting.

Not that I don't trust your information, but where did you confirm that the Windows 10 code was included when preordering the digital from other stores such as Best Buy or Gamestop?  I have credit at  both as well as amazon so that would be ideal.

#44 d8onausa   Hornet CAGiversary!   373 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

d8onausa

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

The Steam version of Rise of the Tomb Raider is the one you should be supporting, since Valve has essentially been the steward of PC gaming for ~15 years now.

#45 WickedEndoNinja   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3553 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

WickedEndoNinja

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:10 PM

Not that I don't trust your information, but where did you confirm that the Windows 10 code was included when preordering the digital from other stores such as Best Buy or Gamestop?  I have credit at  both as well as amazon so that would be ideal.

it does say at participating retailers but if it's not in the listing by now I doubt it's gonna be offered at GS/Best Buy/Amazon. They updated the 360 alan wake/american nightmare info right away and pretty sure the pc version info would be included by now. I'm a guess a few overseas retailers will be offering it as well but for the most part I think MS wants to push the marketplace sales and test the waters for doing this in the future.

#46 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4290 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:13 AM

http://www.bestbuy.c...kuId=1000006305

http://remedygames.c...sion-announced/

All copies of Quantum Break on Xbox One will come with Alan Wake + DLC episodes playable on the 360 and Xbox One (now backwards compatible).

Pre-orders will also get you download codes to redeem for the Windows 10 PC version of Quantum Break, and the Xbox version of Alan Wake's American Nightmare (also X1 compatible).

Basically, if you really wanted to just play the PC version of Quantum Break you could easily pre-order this, get the download code, then sell your Xbox One copy. You'll also score the Alan Wake downloads.

The article says pre-order at Xbox Store or "participating retailers" though none are specifically mentioned.

I pre-ordered on my Xbox One, sounded like a worthwhile deal.

I was hoping I got he AW codes while I waited.

#47 zeonmx   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   82 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:44 AM

There is no Steam version, the PC version strictly uses Microsoft store to download the game.

#48 DGGames  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:09 AM

I was sure it was in the pre-order page, but WickedEndoNinja is right, it doesn't go into detail about which stores specifically...

​I did confirm with a Microsoft Store Customer Service Representative that at least from what they have been told, digital pre-orders / purchases as a download code count as long as you redeem them before the end of the promotional period (the Xbox Store doesn't seem to have a way to distinguish where you bought the download code from... the "selected retailers" part might be just because not all retailers sell download codes, some sell branded gift cards instead which wouldn't automatically count since you have to make the purchase as an extra step).

If you want to be 100% safe however, you could buy a pre-paid Xbox / Windows Gift Card with the credit you have and use that instead to pre-order directly on the Xbox Store. That way you get to use your credit, and you get the game and bonuses guaranteed :). I know both Best Buy and GameStop allow that because the gift cards are just normal items in their inventory (unlike Amazon...)

#49 jgibbons83   JGibbons83 CAGiversary!   271 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

jgibbons83

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:53 AM

I was sure it was in the pre-order page, but WickedEndoNinja is right, it doesn't go into detail about which stores specifically...

​I did confirm with a Microsoft Store Customer Service Representative that at least from what they have been told, digital pre-orders / purchases as a download code count as long as you redeem them before the end of the promotional period (the Xbox Store doesn't seem to have a way to distinguish where you bought the download code from... the "selected retailers" part might be just because not all retailers sell download codes, some sell branded gift cards instead which wouldn't automatically count since you have to make the purchase as an extra step).

If you want to be 100% safe however, you could buy a pre-paid Xbox / Windows Gift Card with the credit you have and use that instead to pre-order directly on the Xbox Store. That way you get to use your credit, and you get the game and bonuses guaranteed :). I know both Best Buy and GameStop allow that because the gift cards are just normal items in their inventory (unlike Amazon...)

Yea, good call. Thanks for all the info!

#50 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4290 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:20 AM

I was sure it was in the pre-order page, but WickedEndoNinja is right, it doesn't go into detail about which stores specifically...

If you want to be 100% safe however, you could buy a pre-paid Xbox / Windows Gift Card with the credit you have and use that instead to pre-order directly on the Xbox Store. That way you get to use your credit, and you get the game and bonuses guaranteed :). I know both Best Buy and GameStop allow that because the gift cards are just normal items in their inventory (unlike Amazon...)

Yea, I ordered it digitally through XBOX.COM so I should be safe.
Though I guess we have to wait till the release to gain access to the AW games.

#51 brian_fin   CAG Vet CAGiversary!   490 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:39 PM

The issue for me is that this is exclusive to Win10 which I don't have, and X1 which my bro has. I'd be up for splitting the cost 50/50 but since it's not on Steam (which they're "not competing against" somehow?) and I don't have the latest OS there's just too many barriers. Do a significant number of gamers really have the latest Windows?

Specs are impressive but what's all completely necessary remains to be seen. I'd be willing to splurge for some RAM for this title as it looks fantastic, but I guess I'll have to wait until things change down the road.

#52 doug_brit   Biohazard CAGiversary!   643 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

doug_brit

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

Not available on amazon, and no GCU discount at BB.  No place where we can get 20% off?

I'm confused, I Preordered the upcoming Ratchet and Clank reboot game and got 20% off GCU. I don't usually preorder games, do they apply GCU to every preorder or just specific ones.

I already own Alan Wake on PC, but I never got the DLC (standalone game). TBH, wouldn't it be a better deal to get GCU on release and buy cheap used copies of Alan Wake and Nightmare? That is if you don't give a hoot about the PC version.

#53 lakers714  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

The issue for me is that this is exclusive to Win10 which I don't have, and X1 which my bro has. I'd be up for splitting the cost 50/50 but since it's not on Steam (which they're "not competing against" somehow?) and I don't have the latest OS there's just too many barriers. Do a significant number of gamers really have the latest Windows?

Specs are impressive but what's all completely necessary remains to be seen. I'd be willing to splurge for some RAM for this title as it looks fantastic, but I guess I'll have to wait until things change down the road.

according to the steam hardware survey at least 30% of users are on Windows 10 

#54 doug_brit   Biohazard CAGiversary!   643 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

doug_brit

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

Are you running Vista? I know people are hesitant about upgrading your OS, but Windows 10 update 1511 is solid. Free to Windows 7SP1 & 8.1 owners.

#55 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4054 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:28 PM

Is there anyway for the digital code to be tied to the Xbox One code? Not having an Xbox One makes me too nervous to pull the trigger.

#56 DGGames  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:08 PM

Is there anyway for the digital code to be tied to the Xbox One code? Not having an Xbox One makes me too nervous to pull the trigger.

what do you mean exactly? Once purchased, it's all tied to your Microsoft Account / Xbox LIVE account (you will get a message through the Xbox App on Windows 10 with the download code to the Windows Store).

​If you buy a download code for the Xbox One game, you need to redeem it as soon as you can to guarantee you get the Windows copy in case that's what you mean. It's simpler to just buy it directly from Xbox.com to be honest since there's no codes to redeem in that case.

#57 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4054 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:10 PM

what do you mean exactly? Once purchased, it's all tied to your Microsoft Account / Xbox LIVE account (you will get a message through the Xbox App on Windows 10 with the download code to the Windows Store).

​If you buy a download code for the Xbox One game, you need to redeem it as soon as you can to guarantee you get the Windows copy in case that's what you mean. It's simpler to just buy it directly from Xbox.com to be honest since there's no codes to redeem in that case.

Thanks for the info.

#58 DGGames  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:12 PM

How old is your computer? If you can't upgrade to Windows 10, you probably don't have the specs to run this game in the first place... The game uses DirectX 12 so from the start there just isn't a way for them to support older operating systems without increasing the complexity of the code base to support older (8.1) or ancient (7, Vista, XP) hardware and software.

In case you aren't aware, Windows 10 is free for all devices running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1: http://windows.micro...-windows-10-faq  (Windows 7 and 8 need to be fully up to date to be able to see and install the free upgrade from Windows Update).

#59 WickedEndoNinja   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3553 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

WickedEndoNinja

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:46 PM

I'm confused, I Preordered the upcoming Ratchet and Clank reboot game and got 20% off GCU. I don't usually preorder games, do they apply GCU to every preorder or just specific ones.

I already own Alan Wake on PC, but I never got the DLC (standalone game). TBH, wouldn't it be a better deal to get GCU on release and buy cheap used copies of Alan Wake and Nightmare? That is if you don't give a hoot about the PC version.

The 20% is off every new game/preorder. The $10 reward zone cert for preordering is only certain games. 

you may be able to get alan wake used but american nightmare is an xbla title and pretty sure it never came to disc. Not too mention you also get both pieces of DLC (you only got the first when it first came out) for alan wake which are well worth it. 

#60 doug_brit   Biohazard CAGiversary!   643 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

doug_brit

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:58 PM

The 20% is off every new game/preorder. The $10 reward zone cert for preordering is only certain games. 

I'm confused, 

you may be able to get alan wake used but american nightmare is an xbla title and pretty sure it never came to disc. Not too mention you also get both pieces of DLC (you only got the first when it first came out) for alan wake which are well worth it. 

Yeah that's my bad, I'm not sure why it wasn't showing the 20% off in my basket earlier, but it is now. Sorry about the confusion.

Your also right, I have alan wake and AN on steam, they're separate games, I assumed they released AN on disc too. 

Thank for clearing it up!