Possible to force laptop to use integrated graphics?

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
Potentially a dumb question but I have an Asus G751JL (came with Windows 10 installed from the factory, not 8.1 or 7), which has a GTX 965m and a i7 4720HQ, and was wondering if it was possible to force the laptop to use the integrated HD 4600 instead of the GTX965? 

My brother has a MSI gaming laptop which, when you go to power saver mode, turns off the built in 970m and uses the integrated graphics card. Pretty handy feature for when he's not near a power outlet and needs it to last a while. 

Would be nice if this was possible on my computer as well, since it'd save on power for when I'm traveling and also b/c I use this laptop a lot for non-gaming related purposes. I saw some say you can switch the display adapter but don't see such an option when I check, it only lists the GTX 965m. 

Windows 10 kinda sucks... MS is really trying hard to shove that MS account thing, not to mention it doesn't recognize my Dell AIO color laser printer or work with HDMI output to my HDTV (but my Dell monitor works fine). Probably gonna revert back to Win 7... but not sure if installing Win 7 somehow invalidates the Win 10 liscense already included in the laptop (something about there being no key, Win 10 install file automatically validates by hardware) 

Last edited by a moderator:
If that machine was on Linux - you could force it use GPU of your choice on Windows - I think you would have to use Windows XP.

it generally comes down to the functionality included by the manufacturer in the BIOS and in the boards chipsets.

Many laptops with discrete graphics cards will have the BIOS option to select the display output (integrated or discrete).   Generally you want the opposite, force the discrete graphics card in all applications (not just 3d).   Some newer manufacturers have gone (in my opinion) the cheap route and no longer offer the user control over display output in the BIOS, rather choosing to always use the integrated graphics for all applications and then use the discrete graphics for 3D applications.  

TL; DR,  Check your BIOS for display options...

And of course i just recall that nvidia software, its called Nvidia optimus.  Its supposed to recognize the mode youre in (2d vs 3D) and choose display output accordingly.   Do you have the software installed?

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/optimus

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-965m

it generally comes down to the functionality included by the manufacturer in the BIOS and in the boards chipsets.

Many laptops with discrete graphics cards will have the BIOS option to select the display output (integrated or discrete). Generally you want the opposite, force the discrete graphics card in all applications (not just 3d). Some newer manufacturers have gone (in my opinion) the cheap route and no longer offer the user control over display output in the BIOS, rather choosing to always use the integrated graphics for all applications and then use the discrete graphics for 3D applications.

TL; DR, Check your BIOS for display options...

And of course i just recall that nvidia software, its called Nvidia optimus. Its supposed to recognize the mode youre in (2d vs 3D) and choose display output accordingly. Do you have the software installed?

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/optimus

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-965m
Yeah, I have Optimus installed. It always uses the 965m. Also, reading up on it, it looks like Windows 10 doesn't play nice with it. fuck this, I'm gonna install Win 7 on it. Win 10 sucks- can't get my printer or my HDTV to work with it.

Thanks for the helpful post.

You just have to open the NVidia control Panel and select the program that you want to use with the integrated graphics and set it to use the integrated Intel card.

bread's done
Back