* * * - - 11 votes

Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

#5581 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3242 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted Yesterday, 09:55 PM

Nope.

It's the tiny motherboard that is the issue.  The main board power connector is too close to the PCI-E slot.  There is no way to fit 90% of graphics cards in there.  It has to be a super short one less than 6 inches.  Maybe if there is a single slot card?  But most cards are double slot nowadays.

I could get a new motherboard in addition to a case but I am exhausted with this project at this point and I will be happy to get a 1050 ti in there for a backup editing computer.

I am much happier with the clearanced out ice cube LEDs I bought.

You can filter results on PCPartpicker, for length of graphics card. It's hard to say how much room you're gonna have for sure, since I'm only going off the mobo specs on HP's website, and scaling it to get a general idea of how much room you have (up until the CPU connector), but from what I can tell the absolute longest graphics card you can get is 158mm +/- 1mm. The absolute smallest GTX 1050 Ti I can find is 145mm. Here's a list of the GTX 1050's and GTX 1050 Ti's that are under 150mm (most single fan graphics cards seem to have either a length of 145mm or 155mm, and I think the latter is cutting it a bit too close).

If you want something bigger than that, you're probably gonna have to get a new mobo and case if you're adamant about using a graphics card.

Here's the two cheapest mobo's and cases I could find on PCPartpicker:

Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($40.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Rosewill - SRM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($22.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $63.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-17 17:54 EDT-0400

0bmqfY1.png

#5582 HyperG   GamersVlog.com CAGiversary!   2877 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM

You’d be surprised. There’s one of those HP omen towers with a 1070 that pops up for $299 on brickseek. Most places still have it $999-1270

Just a matter of finding it. I didn't have luck with a store that showed limited stock at that price, the department manager looked at me funny when I asked her to scan the UPC on my phone from brickseek. The telxon said item not found (only scanned it one time quickly). Hopefully other stores around me that actually have it in stock, will eventually drop that low for that particular tower. 

Subscribe on YouTube - GamersVlog

Share your gaming videos here - www.GamersVlog.com

#5583 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3242 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted Yesterday, 10:25 PM

Just a matter of finding it. I didn't have luck with a store that showed limited stock at that price, the department manager looked at me funny when I asked her to scan the UPC on my phone from brickseek. The telxon said item not found (only scanned it one time quickly). Hopefully other stores around me that actually have it in stock, will eventually drop that low for that particular tower. 

They can check other store's inventory, just not the other store's prices for said item, using either the gemini or mc40 (handheld scanner). I think the best thing you can do when looking for an item is go to say cosmetics or some other department, look for an employee that has either scanner, ask them to scan the barcode, and ask them to see if they have any in stock. If they do, ask for a shelf location, or a bin location (back of the store location, if it's in fact binned). If the store doesn't have it, again ask if you can see if any other stores in the area have any.

0bmqfY1.png

#5584 Jurai  

Posted Yesterday, 11:49 PM

BS link?