* * * - - 11 votes

Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

#5581 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3276 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:55 PM

Nope.

It's the tiny motherboard that is the issue.  The main board power connector is too close to the PCI-E slot.  There is no way to fit 90% of graphics cards in there.  It has to be a super short one less than 6 inches.  Maybe if there is a single slot card?  But most cards are double slot nowadays.

I could get a new motherboard in addition to a case but I am exhausted with this project at this point and I will be happy to get a 1050 ti in there for a backup editing computer.

I am much happier with the clearanced out ice cube LEDs I bought.

You can filter results on PCPartpicker, for length of graphics card. It's hard to say how much room you're gonna have for sure, since I'm only going off the mobo specs on HP's website, and scaling it to get a general idea of how much room you have (up until the CPU connector), but from what I can tell the absolute longest graphics card you can get is 158mm +/- 1mm. The absolute smallest GTX 1050 Ti I can find is 145mm. Here's a list of the GTX 1050's and GTX 1050 Ti's that are under 150mm (most single fan graphics cards seem to have either a length of 145mm or 155mm, and I think the latter is cutting it a bit too close).

If you want something bigger than that, you're probably gonna have to get a new mobo and case if you're adamant about using a graphics card.

Here's the two cheapest mobo's and cases I could find on PCPartpicker:

Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($40.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Rosewill - SRM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($22.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $63.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-17 17:54 EDT-0400

#5582 HyperG   GamersVlog.com CAGiversary!   2887 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:08 PM

You’d be surprised. There’s one of those HP omen towers with a 1070 that pops up for $299 on brickseek. Most places still have it $999-1270

Just a matter of finding it. I didn't have luck with a store that showed limited stock at that price, the department manager looked at me funny when I asked her to scan the UPC on my phone from brickseek. The telxon said item not found (only scanned it one time quickly). Hopefully other stores around me that actually have it in stock, will eventually drop that low for that particular tower. 

#5583 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3276 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:25 PM

Just a matter of finding it. I didn't have luck with a store that showed limited stock at that price, the department manager looked at me funny when I asked her to scan the UPC on my phone from brickseek. The telxon said item not found (only scanned it one time quickly). Hopefully other stores around me that actually have it in stock, will eventually drop that low for that particular tower. 

They can check other store's inventory, just not the other store's prices for said item, using either the gemini or mc40 (handheld scanner). I think the best thing you can do when looking for an item is go to say cosmetics or some other department, look for an employee that has either scanner, ask them to scan the barcode, and ask them to see if they have any in stock. If they do, ask for a shelf location, or a bin location (back of the store location, if it's in fact binned). If the store doesn't have it, again ask if you can see if any other stores in the area have any.

#5584 Jurai  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:49 PM

BS link?

#5585 Blandco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   246 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:17 AM

You can filter results on PCPartpicker, for length of graphics card.

Interesting stuff!   I am going to go with a 1050 TI SC and not bother getting a new motherboard and case.  (after fitting a nice PSU in that tiny case I really feel the need to get this completed)  Thanks!  That was some very helpful info.

I really should have checked out the specs on the motherboard before buying it but there were so many people commenting about putting a new graphics card in it.  This one was a real lesson for me.

The clearance priced LED ice cubes were a huge hit at my D&D game tonight.   I highly recommend them at the $1.50 price if you happen to see them in the clearance section of Walmart.

#5586 Navigator2001Plus  

Navigator2001Plus

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:22 AM

BS link?

https://brickseek.co...r?sku=197665204

#5587 Sielanas  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:38 AM

You are so correct in calling in "stupidly small". Getting a new PSU in there was a chore.

I am pretty sure that the one fan 1050 ti will fit in it though (With the Mobo this small I don't know if any other graphics cards that could possibly fit.) and it should be a decent backup editing/gaming computer after that.

Only positive is that this is the smallest personal computer I will ever own and it can easily travel if I ever need a desktop somewhere else?

Again I would not recommend this purchase at $399.

I found some really nice Bigmouth fake Ice cube LEDs on clearance for 1.50. They glow pretty brightly when in liquid and will make some nice juvenile gelatinous cubes for D&D.

Sku on the led cubes? I'll get some if they're around.

#5588 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   2750 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:09 PM

Interesting that you tinkered around with it for so long. I would have figured that a CAG would have bought it to use "as-is" or went the other way and ripped everything out to use as a base for a "real build". The i7 and 16GB ram alone hit $400 at places line MicroCenter. Basically, just getting the 2TB HHD for free (assuming you cant move the Windows license ortherwise, further bonus). 

If I saw one of these, I'd just view it that way, as a CPU/RAM/HDD bundle. In that case, it's still a heck of a deal.

#5589 Blandco   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   246 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:25 PM

Sku on the led cubes? I'll get some if they're around.

Sorry I couldn't find the correct Sku.  I normally look the item up on Walmart but that isn't working this time.

#5590 Giant_Gamer  

Giant_Gamer

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:48 PM

Infinifactory PS4    $5 (but I grabbed the last one in my area)

https://brickseek.co...er?sku=55538079

MicroMachines World Series PS4  $5 (at least 1 left in my area)

https://brickseek.co...er?sku=55456402

Wipeout PSP $15 (?!) seriously should be $2 or less.

and a few PS2, PS3 and Wii games also $5-10 the employee said that a bunch of stores just got extra money for clearanceing out extra inventory. So I will be checking out other stores in the area too. (Wisconsin)

#5591 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   13840 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the link. Wasn't able to find the $187 Dell, but there are two stores near me with this priced at $349. They're showing 0 stock, but this is definitely worth checking out.

#5592 HyperG   GamersVlog.com CAGiversary!   2887 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

Keep seeing listings for the HP Omen on eBay for nearly MSRP... when I'd like one to actually use, hoping some of my stores around me go down in price from MSRP.

#5593 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3276 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:40 PM

Keep seeing listings for the HP Omen on eBay for nearly MSRP... when I'd like one to actually use, hoping some of my stores around me go down in price from MSRP.

I've been waiting on the other HP to go down in price, but it's been sitting at $399 for at least 2 weeks. What's the clearance interval time between price drops? Variable?

#5594 Jurai  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

Goodluck, only one store here ever showed it in stock and long gone

RTINGS review isn't that great (it's a 6000 series), but 50" Samsung is down to $199 at some stores, couple in my town have them in stock

https://brickseek.co...r?sku=968008953

#5595 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:43 PM

Goodluck, only one store here ever showed it in stock and long gone

RTINGS review isn't that great (it's a 6000 series), but 50" Samsung is down to $199 at some stores, couple in my town have them in stock

https://brickseek.co...r?sku=968008953

Ughhh c'mon Walmart don't do this to me! A few of those samsungs in stock near me but I just bought that 55" vizio a couple weeks ago...

#5596 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4350 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:35 PM

Can anyone who bought the Vizio 55" TV for $199 post a review. I'd also like to know how it handles modern gaming systems. Figured I'd ask here before trying to track one down, since reviews online are mixed. Thanks.

#5597 SideQuestsSuck  

SideQuestsSuck

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:30 AM

I've probably missed it but does anyone recall "The Last of Us Remastered PS4" going down to $9.99, either at WM or anywhere else? I'm sure it has but must have been bad timing where I didn't see it. For a nearly 4-year-old release, surprised it's still at $19.99 or higher almost everywhere.

#5598 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:49 AM

I've probably missed it but does anyone recall "The Last of Us Remastered PS4" going down to $9.99, either at WM or anywhere else? I'm sure it has but must have been bad timing where I didn't see it. For a nearly 4-year-old release, surprised it's still at $19.99 or higher almost everywhere.

That game has been down to $10 quite a bit over the last couple years. Got it when it was $10 at GS during some sale.

#5599 Homerun17   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   442 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Homerun17

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:51 AM

Actually I just found it at my local Wal-Mart for $5.

I picked up the Uncharted Remastered Collection, Last Of Us Remastered, and Starblood Arena for $5 each.

#5600 Jurai  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:11 AM

Ughhh c'mon Walmart don't do this to me! A few of those samsungs in stock near me but I just bought that 55" vizio a couple weeks ago...

The set really has pretty meh ratings on rtings, I didn't get enticed unless you really need a spare

#5601 SideQuestsSuck  

SideQuestsSuck

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:21 AM

Actually I just found it at my local Wal-Mart for $5.

I picked up the Uncharted Remastered Collection, Last Of Us Remastered, and Starblood Arena for $5 each.

Thanks. Interesting that you just got it at WM. I went to Brickseek and did a WM search for it, but it's $19.99 at all my locals. You definitely got lucky.

That game has been down to $10 quite a bit over the last couple years. Got it when it was $10 at GS during some sale.

Didn't think of Gamestop but I'll look there also.

#5602 jdawgg76   RIP Stan the Man CAGiversary!   4684 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:44 AM

You really that enticed by a 1080p set when 4k sets are getting so cheap?

#5603 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3276 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:31 AM

Fry's has had TLOU, Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection, Drive Club, Ratchet and Clank, Bloodborne, MLB the Show 17, and a couple others go on sale for $10 each 2-3 times last year. Probably at least once this year as well, but I haven't been really keeping track. Just lookout for the weekly Fry's thread on here (there aren't many reaponses, but sometimes they have really good deals).

#5604 kayne2000   All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise CAGiversary!   2288 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

kayne2000

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:34 AM

my wal marts have remodeled lately.....they no longer have great cheap games.

bastards

#5605 inverted_fray  

inverted_fray

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

It went down at that price fairly regularly at Frys last year. I'm not sure if it'll go back down at that price this year though.

#5606 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:24 PM

You really that enticed by a 1080p set when 4k sets are getting so cheap?

Oh yeah you're right, guess I shouldn't be too sad then. :p

#5607 Navigator2001Plus  

Navigator2001Plus

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

I'm seeing that $399 computer going down to $184 at a lot of my local Walmarts now. I just got mine price adjusted today.

https://brickseek.co...r?sku=782467792

#5608 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3276 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

I'm seeing that $399 computer going down to $184 at a lot of my local Walmarts now. I just got mine price adjusted today.

https://brickseek.co...r?sku=782467792

Somebody at a local store bought both yesterday (according to brickseek they had 2 up until yesterday), so I'm thinking they probably knew about the drop. Only wanted one, and was annoyed somebody bought them out. Next closest store is 50 miles away:/

Assuming the store actually has them, what's the best way to get them to adjust later on? Return/rebuy? Does it have to be at the same store?

#5609 Sielanas  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:18 PM

This is the computer with the poorly laid out mobo, right? A few stores close with limited zero at 184, one moderately close with 3. An i7 is tempting over my older CPU/R9 combo I'm running now.

#5610 Jurai  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

This is the computer with the poorly laid out mobo, right? A few stores close with limited zero at 184, one moderately close with 3. An i7 is tempting over my older CPU/R9 combo I'm running now.

I think the Omen is the one considered the PITA to work with for upgrading, if you can get one for $184 it's still a steal just to gut for parts, an i7-7700 on it's own is $300 from newegg new, just rip out the parts you want to salvage and you'll already have a good step forward towards building a new rig