* * * * - 18 votes

Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

#7591 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   7017 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:59 PM

Department manager who was doing some shady shit at one of my stores is no longer at the store so they finally started putting out his piles of "missing/stolen" games.  They've only put out the 3ds stuff so far but managed to grab Captain Toad for $2, Pokemon Moon for $1 and Radiant Historia for $2.50

3 down,  60 games to go....

#7592 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4523 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:01 PM

Is there a marked improvement between the b7 vs b8 vs c8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm honestly not too familiar with the new 8 series as I own the 7 series. I was told LG changed the lineup where the C8 and higher end have better processors than the B series now, where the B7, C7, E7 all had the same processors.

#7593 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4523 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:00 PM

Department manager who was doing some shady shit at one of my stores is no longer at the store so they finally started putting out his piles of "missing/stolen" games.  They've only put out the 3ds stuff so far but managed to grab Captain Toad for $2, Pokemon Moon for $1 and Radiant Historia for $2.50

I'm going through this now. The hunt for $3 games has been fun and I got a few, which I'm very happy I did. Though there are several stores I've either reached out to or visited who showed inventory, some in a decent quantity, who "can't find them". Games are locked items and cannot just be stolen like a regular product, they shouldn't be missing.

#7594 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8435 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2019 - 05:10 PM

My first 4K was a non-HDR Vizio, then I bought a low end Samsung with "HDR" and couldn't tell a difference. Returned it and got a TCL P605 and could see where the HDR popped well enough but kept having issues where it wouldn't switch between HDR and SDR on the One, so I got a Sony X900E and was blown away at the difference in quality. I have a B7A as well and it makes all the difference.

If you're happy with a $300 4K tv, that's great, really. But when you do start getting in the upper mid tiers and going forward there's a massive difference, especially when Dolby Vision gets involved.

Exactly this.  It's amazing how many people buy a $300 TV and then declare that 4K isn't anything special.  You get what you pay for with televisions, more so than most other consumer goods.  High-end sets look amazing and they have also never been cheaper before.  You can get a really nice 55" TV for $1000 and that never used to be the case. 

In fact, right now at Walmart you can get a 2018 55" LG B8 OLED for only $1095.  That's a $1500 television during previous sales.   It appears that Amazon and Best Buy has followed suit and are selling them for ~$1100 as well.  When they're gone, they're gone, and last year around the same time when something like this happened with the B7, they shot back up to $1600 again shortly after enough units were moved. 

Right now is the best time of year to buy a good television.   Black Friday week and Super Bowl week usually have the heaviest discounts, and then things get slowly clearanced out starting at the end of Feb. or early March until the next years 2019 televisions start arriving in May. 

#7595 Viper51989   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Viper51989

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:13 PM

I got my dad a b7 refurb through Walmart last year for $1,350. Low hours looked unused basically.

Steal imo considering the 'deal' I got on my b6 including credit card matching one of those sketchy Joe's av type sites was $1,100 a year before.

#7596 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4523 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:49 PM

Exactly this.  It's amazing how many people buy a $300 TV and then declare that 4K isn't anything special.  You get what you pay for with televisions, more so than most other consumer goods.  High-end sets look amazing and they have also never been cheaper before.  You can get a really nice 55" TV for $1000 and that never used to be the case. 

In fact, right now at Walmart you can get a 2018 55" LG B8 OLED for only $1095.  That's a $1500 television during previous sales.   It appears that Amazon and Best Buy has followed suit and are selling them for ~$1100 as well.  When they're gone, they're gone, and last year around the same time when something like this happened with the B7, they shot back up to $1600 again shortly after enough units were moved. 

Right now is the best time of year to buy a good television.   Black Friday week and Super Bowl week usually have the heaviest discounts, and then things get slowly clearanced out starting at the end of Feb. or early March until the next years 2019 televisions start arriving in May. 

Oh wow this takes me back...

I remember when 720i/p and 1080i/p TVs were coming out. I couldn't believe the nonsense I would hear people say "oh I can't tell the difference between those fancy 'high def' TVs" or "DVDs and blurays look the same to me". Meanwhile these mf'in fools were hooking up those TVs with composite or component cables!!! Wow... I just triggered myself hah

#7597 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   933 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:03 PM

Can you get another Moon? I have a Y, Alpha Sapphire, Omega Ruby, Smash Wii U, and NSMB2 I could trade you.

#7598 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4523 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:07 PM

Can you get another Moon? I have a Y, Alpha Sapphire, Omega Ruby, Smash Wii U, and NSMB2 I could trade you.

I'd love a Moon as well though I bet Bezerker is going to be bombarded with asks with prices that low.

I'm actually looking for Pokemon X for my fiancé from the recent drops. I'm working on a trade now for Y for me, though still need X.

#7599 snacks28217   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   508 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

snacks28217

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:13 PM

Any thoughts on this tv? Would be family room tv, not for gaming.

https://brickseek.co...r?sku=947711860

#7600 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4523 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:21 PM

Phillips is not a reputable brand for televisions.  This is one of those $300 TVs, but in 75" size.  Beyond something like the occasional LG B8, you're not going to find find good TVs at Target or Walmart.  They are all low-end sets being sold at a premium. 

Use Rtings for TV reviews.  

Where I'm confused is how websites are claiming this walmart deal today for the B8. From my research, it's some paid advertising as it's all over the web. Plus it isn't even sold by walmart, it's a third party item.

#7601 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8435 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:25 PM

Any thoughts on this tv? Would be family room tv, not for gaming.

https://brickseek.co...r?sku=947711860

Phillips is not a reputable brand for televisions.  This is one of those $300 sets, but in 75" size.  Beyond something like the occasional LG B8, you're not going to find find good TVs at Target or Walmart.  They mostly have low-end sets being sold at a premium. 

If you want something in that grade and price range, you should get a TCL.

#7602 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   933 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:41 PM

Might be getting 3 copies of Fantasy Life for 3DS. Anybody want to trade for something?

#7603 Ness3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   440 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:29 PM

Might be getting 3 copies of Fantasy Life for 3DS. Anybody want to trade for something?

Do you have the Brickseek for Fantasy Life? Been looking for that for awhile but Walmart seems to have quite a few SKUs...

#7604 mdm   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   240 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:51 PM

Do you have the Brickseek for Fantasy Life? Been looking for that for awhile but Walmart seems to have quite a few SKUs...

Fantasy Life https://brickseek.co...er?sku=38580150

Yo if anyone has been able to find Fantasy Life I'd be willing to trade for any of the Pokemons, Final Fantasy Theatrhythm or Smash Bros 3DS

#7605 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4523 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:58 PM

"No results found in the searched area."

That's all I get for Fantasy Life no matter what zip code I put in.

#7606 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6892 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:58 AM

The store near me must have overridden the clearance prices that Brickseek quoted and raised the prices back up to their original MSRPs.

Walmart is stupid.

#7607 SideQuestsSuck  

SideQuestsSuck

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:42 AM

TL;DR  High-end Sony, LG, and Samsung televisions are all better than TCL for gaming and BD and UHD disc playback.  Too bad Samsungs don't do Dolby Vision. 

Returned two Samsung NU8000's after miserable experiences with black levels, flickering problems during PS4 gaming, and blooming issues. Bad local dimming. Even the Q series Samsung scored very poorly for local dimming on rtings (believe 1.8 out of 10). Think they are overrated TV's, IMO, but to each his own.

As for OLED, staying away for gaming due to burn-in. Considering TCL 6 Series, just for the bargain of it. I don't believe in paying a ton of money for 4K TV's. You don't always get performance, relative to price.

#7608 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4523 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:51 AM

Returned two Samsung NU8000's after miserable experiences with black levels, flickering problems during PS4 gaming, and blooming issues. Bad local dimming. Even the Q series Samsung scored very poorly for local dimming on rtings (believe 1.8 out of 10). Think they are overrated TV's, IMO, but to each his own.

As for OLED, staying away for gaming due to burn-in. Considering TCL 6 Series, just for the bargain of it. I don't believe in paying a ton of money for 4K TV's. You don't always get performance, relative to price.

When you mention staying away from OLED due to burn in, are you saying this based on experience and use, or internet opinions? I ask because I've owned one for a decent amount of time now, and have played many hours of games with HUDs and non-moveable bars without any issues.

#7609 skrockij89  

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:58 AM

Would you be willing to sell? Obviously I would pay much more than the $3 for it.

#7610 plus1zero   The wall just got 10 feet higher CAGiversary!   6712 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:11 AM

Which do you prefer, between the Sony X900E and the LG B7A?

B7A is better for movies, for sure. X900E is probably better for gaming though since the burn in risk is non-existent.

Also I might be the only person that loves the Android TV interface bit doesn’t like LG’s OS - and I’m not a big android fan

#7611 plus1zero   The wall just got 10 feet higher CAGiversary!   6712 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:14 AM

The NU8000 isn’t really a high end set, it’s more middle of the road. The premiums start with the Q series.

OLED burn in is a thing, but like others said you’ll get what you pay for. TCL ain’t bad for the money but don’t expect a high end set.

#7612 WWF   Games Jandolfini & Bobby Balaklava CAGiversary!   1026 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:27 AM

anybody else have a B8 or similar OLED and have an issue where the brightness is not uniform, the left half of the screen is way brighter on a gradient basically as grey as a cheap 720p Dynex ?

Like I can “fix” it by turning the brightness way down below 50 which simply loses detail on the right side of the screen.

I’m in a weird situation as I got my TV from rent a center and only had a one weekish “tell us if there’s any problems” window I didn’t notice it until about three to four weeks later.

Is it something to take up with LG, RAC, or heavens forbid buying another one at Walmart and returning this one?

#7613 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4523 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:07 AM

I have a B7 with zero issues. Did you rent or buy a preowned model? If so I would treat that as if you’re buying a rental car, expect it to have been abused.

#7614 Joe Fongul   Slave to the Grind.. CAGiversary!   1275 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:08 AM

Picked up the following locally:

:ps3: 007: Blood Stone $1

:ps4: Earthfall $12

:ps4: Naruto to Boruto Shinobi Striker $18

:pc: Pillars of Eternity II $10

:ps4: Yakuza 6 $18

I was on the hunt for Fallout 4: GOTY, which one Walmart locally had for :xb1: $15 & :ps4: $20, but came up empty, but other games were plentiful including:

:ps4: :xb1: Dishonored 2 $5

:ps4: Conan: Exiles $13

:xb1: Conan: Exiles $13 & $10

:xb1: Division $5

:ps4: :xb1: Dynasty Warriors 9 $7

:ps4: Metal Gear Survive $15

:ps4: Sonic Forces $10

:ps4: We Happy Few $18

#7615 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:18 PM

Well it looks like some have finally dropped near me so I know what I will be do today.  Also since other people are offering so will I but it looks like there are "possible" multiples I could grab so if anyone would be interested in Super Smash Bros Brawl or Fantasy Life let me know and I could grab some if there are any when I finally go.

#7616 gatordeve86   CAG Master CAGiversary!   1030 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

gatordeve86

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

Phillips is not a reputable brand for televisions.  This is one of those $300 sets, but in 75" size.  Beyond something like the occasional LG B8, you're not going to find find good TVs at Target or Walmart.  They mostly have low-end sets being sold at a premium. 

If you want something in that grade and price range, you should get a TCL.

my first hdtv was a 40" Philips I bought it back in 07 or 08 and it is still going strong

#7617 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   933 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:42 PM

My local store is being very stubborn on Alpha Sapphire. Come on!

#7618 skrockij89  

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:36 PM

Well it looks like some have finally dropped near me so I know what I will be do today.  Also since other people are offering so will I but it looks like there are "possible" multiples I could grab so if anyone would be interested in Super Smash Bros Brawl or Fantasy Life let me know and I could grab some if there are any when I finally go.

Interested in fantasy life if you can find an extra one.

#7619 shiningslade   Master Of Pinball CAGiversary!   789 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

shiningslade

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:34 PM

I'm in for trading for Fantasy Life!

#7620 SideQuestsSuck  

SideQuestsSuck

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:00 PM

When you mention staying away from OLED due to burn in, are you saying this based on experience and use, or internet opinions? I ask because I've owned one for a decent amount of time now, and have played many hours of games with HUDs and non-moveable bars without any issues.

Talking about the well-documented burn-in issues associated with OLED's, based on most reviews and user experience. No, I don't own one. For you not to experience any burn-in of any kind with constant HUD-use gaming is highly unusual. Consider yourself lucky.

The NU8000 isn’t really a high end set, it’s more middle of the road. The premiums start with the Q series.
OLED burn in is a thing, but like others said you’ll get what you pay for. TCL ain’t bad for the money but don’t expect a high end set.

Except that the Q Series scored just as poorly for local dimming as the NU8000, at least according to rtings.com. So, not always worth spending more, IMO. Also, gaming is apparently a pain on LG OLED's, due to the auto-dimming feature (ASBL) that you can only turn off via the Service Menu. Seen too many bad examples on YouTube and read of frustrated owners.

Not expecting perfection from the TCL, but just want to get a decent panel. As long as you're not comparing TV's side by side in your home, many are happy with something less expensive than the "premium" brands. My only concern: will the TCL last as long as the name brand panels?          

Picked up the following locally:

:ps3: 007: Blood Stone $1
:ps4: Earthfall $12
:ps4: Naruto to Boruto Shinobi Striker $18
:pc: Pillars of Eternity II $10
:ps4: Yakuza 6 $18

I was on the hunt for Fallout 4: GOTY, which one Walmart locally had for :xb1: $15 & :ps4: $20, but came up empty, but other games were plentiful including:

:ps4: :xb1: Dishonored 2 $5
:ps4: Conan: Exiles $13
:xb1: Conan: Exiles $13 & $10
:xb1: Division $5
:ps4:  :xb1: Dynasty Warriors 9 $7
:ps4: Metal Gear Survive $15
:ps4: Sonic Forces $10
:ps4: We Happy Few $18

For some reason, Brickseek now seems not to list inventory for Walmart. Each time I click on "check inventory" (as I did for We Happy Few), a pop-up comes up, saying to check with that retailer. How do you get back to displaying BS's inventory? Btw, We Happy Few is no lower than $31.74, on the WM stores I am checking.