* * * * - 18 votes

Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

#12841 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1530 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 02 April 2021 - 02:54 AM

I know I know...it was yesterday but the employee I could tell just didn't care either way when he gave me that info.  I guess I was just hoping beyond hope that somehow (he could be right) with so many policies fluctuating in the last year.    It was like buying a lotto ticket and wishing on a star lol. 

Still frustrated that I'm going to have to open the game just to find out what's on the disk since there are no unboxing on Youtube for it (Mx vs Atv All Out 2020 Motorcross Edition). 

You can usually tell which pressing it is by the product ID on the back of the box above the barcode.

a4ac9282ea5a793b7291b29b3c3d571e.jpg

There should be variations between pressings/reprints.

#12842 inkcil   Banception...Baseball Ban in a Best Buy CAGiversary!   1595 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:20 AM

I have returned opened video games to Wal Mart about 2 times last year without issue, funny thing was that I saw the game I returned back in their games section lol

So you're saying there's a chance lol. 

If I don't get a response from the publisher or can't figure out based on the barcode tip from SephirothWF I will open it.   If I do ever try to return an open game I will report back here but I know it's YMMV. 

#12843 soonerdoc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   873 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:26 AM

My best .03 pickup was Rhythm Heaven Fever on Wii awhile back. We should all be lucky if you're one of those that were fortunate enough to be successful getting a game for .03 as it always has been in place that they were to be RTV'd and sent to claims. Looks like they finally got smart about it by blocking the sale. All good things must come to an end. I do find it odd that full price games are dropping straight to .03 though without any clearance price at all, that sucks.

I’m sure they’d rather return and get the credit from publisher than sell it for 10-15 bucks. 

#12844 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:37 AM

So you're saying there's a chance lol.

If I don't get a response from the publisher or can't figure out based on the barcode tip from SephirothWF I will open it. If I do ever try to return an open game I will report back here but I know it's YMMV.

I hate to be that guy but it's so you're telling me there's a chance. This is one of the most misquoted movie lines.

#12845 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1530 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 02 April 2021 - 04:46 AM

I hate to be that guy but it's so you're telling me there's a chance. This is one of the most misquoted movie lines.

"Pull over"

"No, it's a cardigan. But thanks for noticing!"

#12846 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:12 AM

"Pull over"

"No, it's a cardigan. But thanks for noticing!"

giphy.gif

#12847 More Cowbell  

More Cowbell

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:50 AM

I’m sure they’d rather return and get the credit from publisher than sell it for 10-15 bucks. 

Can't remember where I heard it, but someone once told me that Walmart got its pricing edge by asking for discounts up front and agreeing not to return for credit. If true it would explain why some stores still have stacks of obsolete titles. Seems most likely that it varies on a case by case basis depending on whom they're doing business with.

#12848 shoe478   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1823 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2021 - 04:26 PM

Can't remember where I heard it, but someone once told me that Walmart got its pricing edge by asking for discounts up front and agreeing not to return for credit. If true it would explain why some stores still have stacks of obsolete titles. Seems most likely that it varies on a case by case basis depending on whom they're doing business with.

I'd be interested in knowing if Target does this too since they clearance their games up to 70 percent off then sell them to Goodwill.

#12849 shoe478   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1823 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2021 - 04:31 PM

I know I know...it was yesterday but the employee I could tell just didn't care either way when he gave me that info.  I guess I was just hoping beyond hope that somehow (he could be right) with so many policies fluctuating in the last year.    It was like buying a lotto ticket and wishing on a star lol. 

Still frustrated that I'm going to have to open the game just to find out what's on the disk since there are no unboxing on Youtube for it (Mx vs Atv All Out 2020 Motorcross Edition).

You should probably make an unboxing video for the next person that runs into your issue

#12850 Johnny365   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   704 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:02 PM

I'd be interested in knowing if Target does this too since they clearance their games up to 70 percent off then sell them to Goodwill.

Technically not sell, they donate them as a tax write-off, and then Goodwill buys (per pallet) a % of the MSRP/value, that's why you see Target "salvage/returned" merchandise in Goodwills. If the original Target tax was $19.99 then Goodwill will price it at $9.99, etc.

That's how we did things when I worked at Goodwill for 5 years.

#12851 Josef   Raising Acts! CAGiversary!   13436 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:12 PM

If they wanted things to not be sold wouldn't it make more sense to make it an extremely over inflated price and a really underpriced one?

I may be wrong, but I believe I heard it has something to do with messing with the value of the store's inventory, maybe for insurance purposes or something like that.

#12852 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   7091 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2021 - 11:09 AM

Pour one out for Tokyo Mirage for Switch .  Had a bunch of stores that never did the $10 drops so was hoping they might drop eventually but the game just hit 3c so can no longer be sold T_T .

Looks like said stores still have Octopath and Xenoblade 1 for $50 but I wonder if those will 3c out as well. 

#12853 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   1115 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:28 PM

Technically not sell, they donate them as a tax write-off, and then Goodwill buys (per pallet) a % of the MSRP/value, that's why you see Target "salvage/returned" merchandise in Goodwills. If the original Target tax was $19.99 then Goodwill will price it at $9.99, etc.

That's how we did things when I worked at Goodwill for 5 years.

I remember back before I got into CAGging, my wife would shop at goodwill for toys for the kids to destroy and she would mention these cheap unused Target clothes, and now I understand why. Thanks for sharing! 

That said, she said she hasn't seen them in many years (and part of the reason why she stopped going). Once I started CAGgin and dropping my Goodwills myself for old video games noticed all my local ones never had anything good. Guessing they are part of the network that out all the video games donations only on shopgoodwill.com. Guessing maybe the Target salvage went that same direction as well.  :oldman:

I've never found the goodwill online prices for old untested systems / games to be much of a deal with shipping and being out of pocket.   :bomb:

#12854 mikeshinobi  

mikeshinobi

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:33 PM

Well they've been putting games on clearance since... the 90's, probably? So apparently not?

#12855 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1530 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 03 April 2021 - 11:36 PM

So the same $.03 games are showing up as not for sale when scanned...

Except the Fallout 76 version with Steelbook and controller skin. I was just able to purchase one each for PS4 and X1. I think it might be because it is the only game with multiple SKUs per console and they pulled and sent the standard edition.

Who knows.

#12856 plus1zero   The wall just got 10 feet higher CAGiversary!   6857 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2021 - 03:48 AM

Ended up getting the hp pavilion laptop with the GTX 1650 today for $100 at a store about 50 miles from me

#12857 Derrick1979   I think I've been here to long ! CAGiversary!   6098 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Derrick1979

Posted 04 April 2021 - 05:34 AM

Ended up getting the hp pavilion laptop with the GTX 1650 today for $100 at a store about 50 miles from me

I need a laptop so bad any link for that?

#12858 plus1zero   The wall just got 10 feet higher CAGiversary!   6857 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2021 - 06:22 AM

I need a laptop so bad any link for that?

https://brickseek.co...tx-1650/9264531

Here ya go

#12859 Shad0WeN  

Shad0WeN

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:25 AM

Well they've been putting games on clearance since... the 90's, probably? So apparently not?

I kind of feel like some people perhaps overestimate how much they get for returning them to the vendor.

#12860 Derrick1979   I think I've been here to long ! CAGiversary!   6098 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Derrick1979

Posted 04 April 2021 - 02:20 PM

Damn cheapest here is $449 but thank you for the link

#12861 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6336 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:03 PM

They have a decent deal on a laptop I just bought when it was 349. Now it's 379. There's a 100 off via amex card as well. I know you probably aren't looking to spend that much but it was a good value to me so far. And it came with game pass for a $1.

#12862 Davestation   Dont Cross The Streams CAGiversary!   850 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Davestation

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:21 PM

Retailers can not return product to the vendors. The only exception is movies and cd's that the publishers offer a buyback for.

#12863 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1530 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:30 PM

Retailers can not return product to the vendors. The only exception is movies and cd's that the publishers offer a buyback for.

That is what is happening. They get credit for the return to the vendor.

#12864 soonerdoc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   873 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2021 - 03:54 AM

This is incorrect.

They are 100% returning these to the vendor and getting some amount of credit towards next purchase. I don’t know the amount, but I’m guessing it’s more than a couple bucks.  They may not have the ability to do this with every vendor, because as mentioned above in some cases the negotiate an upfront discount which does not allow returns. Those games are not being 3 cented. 

But for the games they are 3 centing, these are being returned for vendor credit. 

#12865 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1530 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:13 AM

This is incorrect.

They are 100% returning these to the vendor and getting some amount of credit towards next purchase. I don’t know the amount, but I’m guessing it’s more than a couple bucks.  They may not have the ability to do this with every vendor, because as mentioned above in some cases the negotiate an upfront discount which does not allow returns. Those games are not being 3 cented. 

But for the games they are 3 centing, these are being returned for vendor credit. 

Back in 2018, I think the number going around was $30. No clue how that started getting thrown around.

#12866 soonerdoc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   873 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:25 AM

Back in 2018, I think the number going around was $30. No clue how that started getting thrown around.

Makes sense as to why they aren’t clearancing them for $10. 

#12867 Shad0WeN  

Shad0WeN

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:44 AM

Makes sense as to why they aren’t clearancing them for $10. 

So why did they put a bunch of games on clearance not long ago for $5-$10??? And frankly going back years for way less than $30. As I alluded to previously I think that number is too high if you ask me. Also think about how many times you've seen a game go on sale at 50% off within months of its release. If they got as much for returning it to the vendor as suggested here then why go with a bigger discount than that and not just straight to RTV status? To me it doesn't add up..... not at the $30 claim.

#12868 inverted_fray  

inverted_fray

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:04 AM

So let's say that they get a $30 credit for returning them to the vendor, what's stopping them from just printing out a unique UPC number for lets say $40 and leaving the games on the shelves with the new UPC sticker over the original barcode? It's not like they haven't done that before and even Target does it from time to time when a game goes on clearance and instead of putting a clearance sticker they print out an "online-only item" sticker for a higher price. Suddenly ringing up too cheap? Print out a new UPC code and price and slap it over the barcode and play dumb when a customer asks about the lower price.

#12869 Davestation   Dont Cross The Streams CAGiversary!   850 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Davestation

Posted 05 April 2021 - 11:16 AM

If retailers could return product you would never see clearance. It would be a retailers dream to send back unsold inventory.

#12870 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1530 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 05 April 2021 - 12:16 PM

I have no clue guys. That is just the number I remember people talking about years ago.

Edit: As for the games going cheaper after launch or 50% within a few months (cough cough Ubisoft), the vendor subsidizes these discounts. Obviously Walmart, Gamestop, Amazon, etc. are not eating a loss. The retailers will get a discount for selling them cheaper. This is why you will see Gamestop, Amazon, and Best Buy all have the same discount on certain games at the same time. Immortals: Fenyx Rising for example is consistently on sale for $30 (50% off).

As for "why not just keep the game expensive and never show the real clearance price so they can send it back and get credit?" Well, what do you think is going to happen when the vendor finds out they do that or that they aren't promoting/pushing their games or showcasing them on the floor? Or what is going to happen when Gamestop sells a ton of Game X but Walmart sells 1/10 of Gamestop's amount? Walmart is going to lose their bargaining power or be given less copies that would normally sell a lot of.

Also, if they can't send certain games back for "X" amount of years, it is better to get it sold at a cheaper price than to have it sit in inventory or take up shelf space than to hold it for 5 extra years.

Now that last point doesn't make sense for the recent PS4, X1, and Switch games as many of them were only 1-2 years old...so no clue why they got recalled so early. Untitled Goose Game for example has only been out 6-7 months. But that point made sense in 2018 when we were buying up Rhythm Heaven Fever, Metroid Other M, and Dragon IX. Those were all 5+ year old games taking up shelf space that no one ever bought. And when I say no one ever bought, again this is on a store to store basis previously. This most recent recall seems to be much more widespread.