PSA: Amazon Raises Free Shipping Minimum To $49

CAGNewbie

CAG Newbie
Amazon has raised the minimum order required to receive free shipping on most items to $49. (Book orders of $25 or more will also receive free shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
3c5b0fb6c0cc6273e25d164d2dc3f1ca.jpg

Finally buckled on prime this year. I never used amazon because of the shipping restrictions before, now I'd definitely never use them.

But with prime? Lol I order so much shit I don't really need.

Amazon Prime, here I come.  

I wanted it for the shows and music but didn't think it was worth it.

But, hey then no more buying stuff I don't really need just to get the free shipping.

Well guess i'm saving more money by not buying crap I don't need on Amazon. I've cut back extremely on my physical goods shopping when my Amazon Prime lapsed and well I'm OK for it. I hate monopoly type companies and Amazon is becoming that. The times were good Amazon but i'm moving on. I'll still make a book order now and then but that's cause B&N usually sucks in that regard. I don't have any Mom and Pop bookstores so kind of screwed there.

Abandoning ship. Their shipping has been lousy lately. Instead of their classic cardboard boxes with the A-Z smile logo with its contents shrinkwrapped to a cardboard disc and packed with plastic air pockets, they've been sending cheap bubble wrap envelopes. I had to send a book back because it was all dented and ripped. They are intent on ruining their own success faster than Twitter. All sales are now worthless if the one $15 thing you want get needs $35 in other stuff. May a new power rise and knock these bastards off their golden thrones.

I greatly reduced the amount I ordered from Amazon they went from $25 to $35 for free shipping. Then they opened a distribution center in my state so they started charging tax. With this, there's very little reason for me to order from Amazon anymore aside from stuff in their marketplace with sellers that have free shipping.

Abandoning ship. Their shipping has been lousy lately. Instead of their classic cardboard boxes with the A-Z smile logo with its contents shrinkwrapped to a cardboard disc and packed with plastic air pockets, they've been sending cheap bubble wrap envelopes. I had to send a book back because it was all dented and ripped. They are intent on ruining their own success faster than Twitter. All sales are now worthless if the one $15 thing you want get needs $35 in other stuff. May a new power rise and knock these bastards off their golden thrones.
How'w that working out for Jet?

I guess I'll be buying more comic books instead of actual stuff from this point on. 

Weird, I can get free shipping as long as I buy $25 worth of books plus whatever else items I want.  Interesting, if I understand this right. 

I try to buy from brick and Mortar such as Books a milliion, Target, Best buy more and more... Don't really like the Monopoly developing

I remember when Amazon used to give out $10-20 promotional credit for pre-ordering games and had 99 cent release date delivery and all you had to do was choose them over other retailers. They have gotten pure greedy the last few years.

I remember when Amazon used to give out $10-20 promotional credit for pre-ordering games and had 99 cent release date delivery and all you had to do was choose them over other retailers. They have gotten pure greedy the last few years.
To be fair, that was only because other retailers were at the time (Kmart; no longer sells games) (Walmart; almost never offers gift cards for preorders/new releases anymore) (Target; only does it if you buy $6 worth of soda/doritos) (Best Buy; on a select few release).

Amazon mimics the competition and then tries to beat them with better customer service and faster shipping.

I'm not sure if you guys follow any of this but shipping costs have only gone up, and in some cases exponentially, over the last few years. Amazon isn't going to be the only retailer doing this.

$49? $49 fucking dollars? Holy shit, I barely make that in 2 hours. Jumping ship, OMFG. Horrible company, 5/7.

Amazon mimics the competition and then tries to beat them with better customer service and faster shipping.
Well, unless you order a computer case from AWD. Then the customer service is atrocious. That, and while Amazon MIGHT have the best CS of retail businesses, nothing's faster than having a retail location in-town, which is true for all the competitors who now price match Amazon on most things anyway.

You also get about $1500 worth of merchandise along with that though.

Amazon you get free shipping and a video service with nothing on it worth watching.
Heck, more than that for this site's members. Flipping credit from Target/GS/Amazon gets you credit towards Elite, and you're basically doing something like trading in $20 in games for $30, thus saving $10. Given that most here have GCU and buy during sales, you're easily winning in the end on that Elite investment, especially if you have friends/family buying stuff under the account.

You also get about $1500 worth of merchandise along with that though.

Amazon you get free shipping and a video service with nothing on it worth watching.
But you can still get $1500 worth of merchandise from Amazon doing the exact same thing, but getting that no minimum free shipping on $1300 worth of the merchandise.

I think this is a decent business decision by Amazon. Prime members are - by far - their best customers and it's just more incentive to push ppl to buy the service. Also, it forces all those non-prime members who want preordered games at $48 to pony up for Prime now if they don't wanna pay for shipping. I still buy almost all my games at Best Buy, but I still love Amazon for about 75% of all my purchases outside of games.

I think Prime is an amazing value between the shipping, music and video.. It's less than Netflix and comes with way more benefits - even if the video selection is inferior.... but I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
And yeah, as we can see in this thread, it's gonna push out some fringe customers, but they aren't spending much with Amazon anyways, and they'll probably more than make up for those lost customers when all the new Prime sign ups start spending way more money once they're members.

bread's done
Back