CAGcast #441: Uncultured Club

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Cheapy gets SUPERHOT, Wombat gives an E3 preview, and Shipwreck explains the VR lifestyle.

Download (1 hours 16 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS
https://audioboom.com/boos/4261889-cagcast-441-uncultured-club

Get $5 off your order (with free shipping) at http://www.harrys.com with coupon code CAGCAST

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro -  Gold (Kama's Master Mind Mix)

Outro -  Karma Chameleon Remember Remix - nagoyabreath

RSS - Full CAGcast Cataalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will Cheapy or Wombat go to the Microsoft Store event in NYC this Monday forThe Division? Major Nelson will be there.

Is it me or do the last few shows feel like Cheapy and Wombat are rushing to get the podcast over as soon as possible? I get it. They have kids and houses now but I miss the days of relaxed, enthusiastic conversation amongst friends.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Although it wasn't consulting work, I feel that The BatShip Group formed and predicted Sony's E3 press event with total accuracy.  I like optimistic Cheapy, but I think he may have forgotten two years ago when Sony mistook E3 for Comic-con and spent 10 minutes announcing the Powers TV show.  It'll be at least 50% VR, price/release date, showing off the new user interface and announcing new social VR applications (Playstation Home VR?), then some gameplay of the games announced at E3 2015 followed by the normal 3rd party stuff.  As the primary differentiator from Microsoft & the thing that'll maximize press attention, it has to be VR focused.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I also liked Wombats duck moving VR idea.  Can he speak on that some more?  In the same voice?[/SIZE]

So since Shipwreck is a fan of buying consoles more often, that means he owns every iteration of the DS, right? Because releasing a new console more often, with backwards compatibility, is exactly what Nintendo has done with the Nintendo DS.

Are people really worried about how Microsoft will handle the Xbox upgrades? Is it a departure from the usual just make things smaller and more energy efficient with the last cycle? Though Sega has done it with its Genesis revisions. There are like seven revisions of the Model 1 Sega Genesis, and at least four versions of the Model 2s. For the average consumer those upgrades weren't that noticeable. And don't forget the Xbox 360s!  Will the next Xbox One Two Threes be that out of the box? If the One is just a base configuration, it says something about how video game technology has definitely peaked, and will require only graphical upgrades. CheapyD and Shipwreck were already arguing that the One had less features than the 360, and look how far that 2005 system has come!

Is it me or do the last few shows feel like Cheapy and Wombat are rushing to get the podcast over as soon as possible? I get it. They have kids and houses now but I miss the days of relaxed, enthusiastic conversation amongst friends.
It seems to be more common now that cheapy is back in the states. Listening to some older cagcast and they sometimes would go for an hour and half but now about an hour. Seems lately that they dont pull much from the cagbag or Twitter.

Still great show but cheapy and wombat sound like they are tired or would rather be doing other stuff. Shipwreck was still awesome and helped keep the show going.

Cheapy should do an intro but instead of saying "joined by a man (etc.) Wombat, he should do one on shipwreck and completely catch wombat off guard.

Yet again. . . the Cheapass Gamer Cagcast is completely out of touch with the market they are claiming to represent.

- You want to stream your PS4 to a PC? Why would you do that when you can "just buy another TV."

- "I would buy a new console every two years."

I understand that things have changed over the years. . . that Cheapy, Shipwreck and Wombat are no longer in the phase of their lives where good deals are going to be the main points of discussion. I get that. . .  but I think they need to understand that the bread and butter of the website are gaming deals and a slight effort should be made on their part to address those issues.  If anything. . . focus on value.

got my razor ordered this morning, and loved the closing track. thought the jokes were pretty funny. I wouldn't play the PS4 through my PC, but I have toyed with the idea of the Steam Link to play on my TV, I'd need to go wireless though, so I'll probably pass on that. I find myself using the PC less and less. I think the show does focus on value, I've picked up more than one deal from the twitter feed, and want to check out target for one of those tablet's whipwreck picked up. might be a good one for mom and dad.

Great show, guys.

I'm convinced that Ship is now intentionally mispronouncing stuff just to fuck with Wombat/the audience.

Apparently I know the lyrics to Karma Chameleon better than I thought, because it got stuck in my head immediately.

It really is crazy to think that E3 as we know it may be on its way out. It is also remarkable to think about how many things in the gaming industry that CAG has outlasted. With so many websites and countless studios (Lionhead this week) going out of business, seeing CAG survive all of these years unchanged is refreshing. I'm sure the fact that CAG has basically no staff helps, but still lasting more than a decade in gaming seems like more and more of an accomplishment these days. 

Great show, always looking forward to hearing your opinions on gaming news as well as new releases. The indie gems like assault android cactus is probably something I never would've discovered otherwise. I didn't get the culture club song reference until after about the 4th joke.

Shipwreck, have you ever solved the problem of using LED lights that light up when a console is being used? I tried to do this but found out the USB ports on Xbox one and 360 are always powered, so lights would always stay on. The PS4 and PS3 doesn't do this. So unless a remote control is used, I can't figure out how to get the Xbox consoles working with lights yet. 

And yes I'm one of the people that would love to play my PS4 on my PC since that's where I spend most of my time and my family uses the tv mostly too. I'm all about the different accessibility options to game on.

VR doesn't preclude you from being able to have dinner with your family and enjoying their company. If you're not into VR, that's fine. Making up weird excuses/scenarios for why it sucks doesn't really help matters. That was such a weird part of the show. Not everything has to be like Back to the Future 2.

Yes, I find the hosts' general outlook on VR to be far too narrow. They're just seeing the fact that one person's vision is being obstructed, and focusing all discussion there. One of the most popular and critically acclaimed titles to come out of the early Occulus Dev-Kit scene is "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes." This is a prime example of VR game design being used to create a co-operative experience between someone wearing a VR headset, and the rest of the people in the room who aren't wearing VR headsets. And the only extra piece of equipment it requires is a printout of instructions.

Just imagining a scenario of isolation is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just because that's the first place your mind goes doesn't mean that other people aren't going to find effective ways to use VR in an inclusive fashion. Some people already have, and I'm confident there will be more who follow in their footsteps. Games are always better when played together, and VR will be no different. It's just one more design challenge, and one that isn't quite as steep as Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck seem to think.

As a married man, I think remote play (Xbox One does it best by far) is the greatest thing about this generation thus far.  I love playing games.  My wife loves watching reality shows.  Remote play keeps us together on the couch.  With my untethered Windows 10 tablet, I can sit next to her playing Rise of the Tomb Raider while she watches her shows on Bravo about washed up, fake, plastic surgery having, bankrupt hoes fighting with each other.    And during commercials, all I have to do is press pause, and reach over to caress her shoulder so she knows I haven't forgotten she's there and that I still care.  What's there not to love about remote play?       

Jaguar is actually supposed to rhyme with Atari. It's pronounced Atari ja-'gwär-ē. Emphasis on the middle syllable and the last "e" sound is the opposite of a silent letter.

bread's done
Back