- - - - -

Weird Playstation 2 Problem (Sees Discs, won't read them)

Sony Sony Playstation Playstation 2 Model slim fat super slim disc read error

#1 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4493 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:01 AM

I have three Playstation 2s, one of each model type (Fat, Slim, Super Slim)

Well I went to test the Super Slim (was thinking of selling it) only to find out the system will not play discs.

It'll recognize a CD or DVD has been put into the system, it will then load the disc like normal. The "Playstation 2" logo flashes on the screen then it jumps immediately back to the dashboard.

What's going on?
The Model 1 (Fat) and 2 (Slim) still work perfectly but not the super slim.

#2 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   20343 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:02 AM

Probably bad laser

#3 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4493 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:13 AM

Probably bad laser

It's odd that it's the newest one having the problem though.

#4 detectiveconan16   Delicious! CAGiversary!   7180 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:19 AM

I have the exact same problem with a Fat model and even a laser swap won't work. Luckily it still has a use. :-

#5 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4493 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:20 AM

I have the exact same problem with a Fat model and even a laser swap won't work. Luckily it still has a use. :-

Oh, what?

#6 detectiveconan16   Delicious! CAGiversary!   7180 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:21 AM

I won't tell... on this site. Do a google search on why Fat PS2s are preferred over the quieter slim ones.

#7 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4436 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:48 AM

It's a top-loader, right? Those can have issues where the lid won't close properly, affecting whether or not the disk plays. Putting a decently-sized hardcover book (about the size of a novel; nothing too heavy like a textbook) on top of the lid after it's been closed should help keep it in place.

Not sure if that's what's going on here, but it's worth a try.

#8 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4493 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:41 AM

It's a top-loader, right? Those can have issues where the lid won't close properly, affecting whether or not the disk plays. Putting a decently-sized hardcover book (about the size of a novel; nothing too heavy like a textbook) on top of the lid after it's been closed should help keep it in place.

Not sure if that's what's going on here, but it's worth a try.

It's the super small top loader.

Tried two games.. I'll try again in a bit.

#9 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4493 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:58 PM

So this is weird.

I decided to just hook it up and give it a try.. works fine.

I was afraid it was because the power cord was 3A 125V (The official cord is 7A 125V), but it's working fine.

My slim model however wasn't working at all, then after about 15minutes of being set up seems to be working again as well.

So.. what is going on?

#10 ZerotypeX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3877 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

So this is weird.

I decided to just hook it up and give it a try.. works fine.

I was afraid it was because the power cord was 3A 125V (The official cord is 7A 125V), but it's working fine.

My slim model however wasn't working at all, then after about 15minutes of being set up seems to be working again as well.

So.. what is going on?

mgc.gif

But in all seriousness, I have no idea why. Good to hear it works now though. :bouncy: