Sales tax and Digital River (Capcom Store)

GBAstar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
Does anyone know where Digital River is located? They have for whatever reason started collecting sales taxes on my orders and I live in Maine. I have placed a lot of orders with them in the past and never been charged tax. Maine is a big state area wise but I am fairly confident they have no presence here (Capcom either). Last I knew they shipped from MN.

The same thing happened with the Irrational games store when I did a mock order a few months ago but I can't remember if they use DR or the other company that begins with "A" to do their order fulfillment.

Anyways I wanted to start this thread to see if others are affected and if so if they'd had any success getting reimbursed for the sales tax collected, and if so, how.

Also, I noticed that although the percentage collected (5.5%) is correct they are also taxing the S/H fees. Is that normal?

Their main headquarter is in Maine I believe.
No it's not. We have no industry here.

Digital River is headquartered in Minnetonka, Minnesota.

^ From Wikipedia

I believe Capcom is out of California somewhere. Again, just wondering why I'm being charged sales tax. I opened a ticket but the customer service provided from the Capcom Store is notoriously horrible

Last edited by a moderator:
Then I don't know.

Maybe they just hate you. :D

Edit:

This is the closest information I could find that might relate to this issue and it is from one of their subsidiaries that talk about starting from the first of last year in regards to tax collection,

http://shopper.esellerate.net/link/portal/5570/5620/Article/366/Why-am-I-being-charged-sales-tax-on-my-purchase

It does talk about Digital River collecting taxes in all states that have a sales tax.

It appears that only states that don't have a sales tax will be exempt, or if you have an exempt status, and then in some special cases, no tax on digital content for the states they've listed.

This is all I could find though.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back